Author Topic: Procedural Vote Stalls Defense Bill, Repeal of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' (UPDATED)  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama's choice to lead the Marine Corps  told the Senate Tuesday that Congress should not repeal the law barring gays from serving openly in the military, dealing a blow to gay rights advocates just hours before a crucial test vote.
Associated Press
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Is it the wrong time to point out what branch of service the top guy in uniform is that's SUPPORTING the repeal of DADT?

Or the fact that the SecDef is former USAF?

:fuelfire:

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline cavegal

Associated Press
I see they need Collins vote....hmmm she wants to wait. Yeah until after November. This bunch will not be happy until they can destroy this fine military.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Eupher--in other news, two CO's in Bangor have been fired in the past week for sticking their dinks in women not their wives.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Eupher--in other news, two CO's in Bangor have been fired in the past week for sticking their dinks in women not their wives.

Worst I saw was an up and coming two star..youngest one in the Army...former commander of the RTB...25th ID CG..poster boy for the Rangers etc...get dropped to Colonel and forced to retire for doing that.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Associated Press

I can see that appointment being withdrawn. Can't have any opposition to Teh Wun.

Edited to add a quote from the article:

Pop star Lady Gaga led a political rally in favor of repeal in Maine on Monday to pressure Collins and Sen. Olympia Snowe to side with Democrats on the issue. Lady Gaga said it was unjust to have goodhearted gay soldiers booted from military service while straight soldiers who harbor hatred toward gays are allowed to fight for their country.

She suggested a new policy should target straight soldiers who are "uncomfortable" with gay soldiers in their midst.

"Our new law is called 'If you don't like it, go home!'" she said.

Sigh. These moronic dipshits who wouldn't know a rucksack from their next bong hit never fail to amaze me with their stupidity.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:19:48 PM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline cavegal

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39286687/ns/politics-capitol_hill/

WASHINGTON — A Senate bill to repeal the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy appeared headed for defeat Tuesday, a major setback for gay groups that saw the vote as their last chance this year to overturn the 17-year-old ban.

Advocates had been optimistic that the Democratic-controlled White House and Congress could overcome objections to repeal of the law barring gays from serving openly in the military. The move is unpopular among Republicans, military officers and social conservatives.

But in the end,

Yeah I ended that article like that on purpose, who proofreads for them? In the end :lmao:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Only a few of them actually want to fight for their country, this is mainly about REMF jobs, and tapping into benefits and medical care.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Democrats fell short of the 60 votes needed to advance the legislation, which authorized $726 billion in defense spending including a pay raise for troops.

Associated Press
Another AP article.  Again.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline cavegal

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/21/procedural-vote-stalls-defense-repeal-dont-ask-dont-tell/

WASHINGTON -- Senate Republicans have blocked an effort to repeal the law
banning gays from serving openly in the military.

The partisan vote was a defeat for gay rights groups who saw the provision in a defense authorization bill as their last chance any time soon to overturn the law known as "don't ask, don't tell."

Democrats fell short of the 60 votes needed to adv
I hope this means the DREAM Act is dead.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:28:13 PM by cavegal »

Offline thundley4

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/21/procedural-vote-stalls-defense-repeal-dont-ask-dont-tell/
 I hope this means the DREAM Act is dead.

At least for now it is.  Notice that that portion of the bill is getting little play in the media.

Offline 5412

Hi,

Following is the Yahoo link.  I find it interesting, but not the least surprising, they find a way to blame it on the Republicans, they have a bullet-proof democrat majority in the senate, the Repbulicans could not block the bill by themselves if they wanted to.

regards,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gays_military

PS:  There is one scary paragraph in the report however:

Democratic Sens. Blanche Lincoln and Mark Pryor of Arkansas sided with Republicans to block the bill. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., also voted against the measure as a procedural tactic. Under Senate rules, doing so enables him to revive the bill at a later date if he wants.

What this means to me is this.  If the democrats get their asses kicked, which they will and Reid may be one of them, then their parting shot will be to bring this back to the floor and shove it down the throats of America.  Of course they forgot to mention there was a portion of the bill to lift the abortion ban, and another to grant amnesty to illegals.....somehow that was overlooked by the writer of the article.  Must just be coincidence.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:40:55 PM by 5412 »

Offline DumbAss Tanker

The practice and process by which the majority party, whether it's them OR our guys, amends bells, whistles, and pork butts onto all the critical appropriation and authorization bills is one of the things about Congress that most absolutely pisses me off.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Airwolf

It's ok. It won't matter after November . The Right will just undo what ever the Left does before then.  They can blame the Right if they want to but the votes are in and they can't be retracted. All anyone with a brain has to do is look up who voted for and against.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline 5412

The practice and process by which the majority party, whether it's them OR our guys, amends bells, whistles, and pork butts onto all the critical appropriation and authorization bills is one of the things about Congress that most absolutely pisses me off.

Hi,

This paragraph in the write up pissed me off today.  We could get this shoved down our throats, amnesty and all by a lame-duck democrat congress.

Democratic Sens. Blanche Lincoln and Mark Pryor of Arkansas sided with Republicans to block the bill. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., also voted against the measure as a procedural tactic. Under Senate rules, doing so enables him to revive the bill at a later date if he wants.
regards,

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
It's ok. It won't matter after November . The Right will just undo what ever the Left does before then.  They can blame the Right if they want to but the votes are in and they can't be retracted. All anyone with a brain has to do is look up who voted for and against.

I dunno about that. I'm not certain that the Republicans consider DADT enough of an issue to actually undo it and let out the peter puffers and rug munchers after they've officially been allowed in.

Sorta like locking the barn after the horse is stolen - won't really work.

Furthermore, I just don't think it's enough of a Republican hot button issue. It certainly is for the Dems and the corresponding gays and lesbos, but for the Repubs to want to go to battle on that score? I ain't so sure.....

Offline cavegal

Hi,

Following is the Yahoo link.  I find it interesting, but not the least surprising, they find a way to blame it on the Republicans, they have a bullet-proof democrat majority in the senate, the Repbulicans could not block the bill by themselves if they wanted to.

regards,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gays_military

PS:  There is one scary paragraph in the report however:

What this means to me is this.  If the democrats get their asses kicked, which they will and Reid may be one of them, then their parting shot will be to bring this back to the floor and shove it down the throats of America.  Of course they forgot to mention there was a portion of the bill to lift the abortion ban, and another to grant amnesty to illegals.....somehow that was overlooked by the writer of the article.  Must just be coincidence.
I think if they get voted out they for sure will shove it down our throats.. this goes without saying.

Offline 5412

I think if they get voted out they for sure will shove it down our throats.. this goes without saying.

Hi,

My guess is they would start with amnesty because as Limbaugh calls them "undocumented democrats", the abortion and gays issue would be secondary.  I am not so sure there would not be revolution if they try it but that is not saying they will not.  Particularly if Reid gets fired by the voters.

regards,

Offline cavegal

Hi,

My guess is they would start with amnesty because as Limbaugh calls them "undocumented democrats", the abortion and gays issue would be secondary.  I am not so sure there would not be revolution if they try it but that is not saying they will not.  Particularly if Reid gets fired by the voters.

regards,
I think they are going to try it, whether it is thru congress or a EO. They need these votes.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Bostick is simply toeing the Lord Zero line and putting forth "the word" about the demise of DADT and the continuation of social experimentation within the military.

This isn't the first time that the military was the focus group of social experimentation. When Truman forced desegregation of the military back in the late Forties, there was considerable opposition to that.

Fighting alongside a person with skin color that's different is one thing, but trying to make sense of a peter puffer's decisions is something else altogether.  :mental: 

It looks to me like Bostick & Co. have forgotten all about "good order and discipline". I suppose now that the UCMJ will have to be rewritten to permit those same deviant sexual practices that it had once forbidden.

Gimme a break! These asshole bandits don't have the guts to eat *****, but I should trust them to cover my backside during enemy fire?

Well..................I guess they might if we were butt buddies, otherwise, I kinda doubt it!

This ain't gonna happen! Unless of course the Bumbler and his "cocksuckers", are willin' to leave our country unguarded!

Hmmmmmm.......
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline true_blood

Hey dumbo. You really know how to ruin a country don't you? Throwing all these variables into society. Breaking down our military, killing capitalism, killing economy and jobs, and slowly taking away our freedoms.
Take a walk you f'en imposter!! :bird: :censored:

Offline 5412

Gimme a break! These asshole bandits don't have the guts to eat *****, but I should trust them to cover my backside during enemy fire?

Well..................I guess they might if we were butt buddies, otherwise, I kinda doubt it!

This ain't gonna happen! Unless of course the Bumbler and his "cocksuckers", are willin' to leave our country unguarded!

Hmmmmmm.......

Hi,

When the hell is someone going to discuss what to me is the real issue.  If you allow gays openly in the military, yeah you break down discipline, but it is an all volunteer military.  What do you do when the gays outnumber the men?  Sooner or later it will happen and then what happens to national defense.  What happens when gays get in positions to sit on promotion boards, you know damn well that will be the over riding issue for promotion as opposed to qualifications.  It will be a total breakdown of our military.  Eventually folks will stop enlisting other than gays and then it is all over.

Why doesn't some general speak up?  Then again they may have and BO doesn't give a shit.

regards,

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
Re: Procedural Vote Stalls Defense Bill, Repeal of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' (UPDAT
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »
The DoD only has to make sexual orientation the sixth protected class (first five are race, gender, religion, national origin, and color) and about half of what is said in an infantry company on a daily basis will be reason for a complaint.  The commanders of the various units would be obligated to get rid of those service members who couldn't or wouldn't toe the line.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Procedural Vote Stalls Defense Bill, Repeal of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' (UPDAT
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2010, 08:23:41 AM »
The DoD only has to make sexual orientation the sixth protected class (first five are race, gender, religion, national origin, and color) and about half of what is said in an infantry company on a daily basis will be reason for a complaint.  The commanders of the various units would be obligated to get rid of those service members who couldn't or wouldn't toe the line.

Bingo. Spot on, docstew. You've got 'em in order of priority too. Woe to the poor bastard who says something about a Sikh wearing a turban and sporting a beard when it's time for NBC training. Insensitive shit that he is, he's ostracized, ridiculed, and mustered out.

How many times have you seen promotion quotas completely override common sense and clear qualifications?

Offline Airwolf

Alot of people are also forgetting that if any Gay service member is found out to be so by the Jihadist they would make certain that they suffered more then just any old Infidel.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"