Author Topic: Proposal to End Military Abortion Ban Complicates Defense Budget Bill  (Read 1343 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant

Add abortion to the list of hot-button social issues that could derail a sweeping budget blueprint for the nation's military.

An amendment from Sen. Roland Burris, D-Ill., to end a longstanding ban on abortions at U.S. military hospitals overseas is attached to the defense authorization bill set to come up for a vote in the Senate.

The move has been widely opposed by social conservatives and only further complicates the debate over the defense spending package. Senate Democrats already have drawn the ire of Republicans by trying to add to the bill measures to repeal the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy banning gays from serving openly in the military and provide young illegal immigrants who attend college or join the military a pathway to citizenship.

The Senate will meet Monday to resume consideration of the defense bill, with a vote to start formal debate set for the following day. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has indicated that even if the Senate clears that hurdle, which requires 60 votes, the defense bill likely will not come up for a final vote until after the November election.

The Burris proposal would undo restrictions put in place by congressional Republicans during the Clinton administration. That policy restricted abortions at military hospitals to cases of rape, incest or when the woman's life is threatened.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/20/proposal-end-military-abortion-ban-complicates-defense-budget/
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: Proposal to End Military Abortion Ban Complicates Defense Budget Bill
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »

I'm so sick and tired of getting treated like one of these in stupid D.C. political brinksmanship games.

:censored:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »
Memo to 100 percenters.

Yes, Mark Kirk is a RINO by most standards.  But guys like Burris are the alternative.

NOW DO YOU GET IT???
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »
November can't get here fast enough
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »
What goes around comes around...

SCOTUS just told Burris to go screw himself. I posted it here.  :-)

Offline cavegal

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »
I just so dislike this bunch. NOVEMBER AND BEYONDWe have to stop these people. It is either us or them. The only good thing is they do abortions so maybe it is thinning them out? The problem is they are programing children now.  :hammer: :fuelfire:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline true_blood

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »
What happened to this great Country? I ask myself this question every time I read headlines this and the other topics. It's sickening! :censored:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 07:30:50 PM »
What happened to this great Country? I ask myself this question every time I read headlines this and the other topics. It's sickening! :censored:

A great portion has been the use of courts by liberals to further their agenda.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »

from this link:

http://blog.heritage.org/2010/09/20/left-pushes-pre-paid-abortions-in-defense-bill/

it sounds like the vote may be going on in DC right now.

Memo to 100 percenters.

Yes, Mark Kirk is a RINO by most standards.  But guys like Burris are the alternative.

NOW DO YOU GET IT???

Yes, as much as I don't care for Kirk, he's far better than the alternative. He won the GOP IL primary, so I want him to beat that gangster he's running again now.