Author Topic: Chelsea Clinton on Monica: "None of your business"  (Read 12774 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Chelsea Clinton on Monica: "None of your business"
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:18:13 AM »
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) ― The college student who got a stinging brushback from Chelsea Clinton when he asked about her mother's handling of the Monica Lewinsky scandal, said Wednesday he is a Clinton supporter who was simply trying to give her daughter an opportunity to show people "what makes Hillary so strong."

Evan Strange, a Butler University student who also works on the school's newspaper, The Butler Collegian, said he had asked Chelsea Clinton at her appearance Tuesday at the school for her opinion "on the criticism of her mother that how she handled the Lewinsky scandal might be a sign of weakness and she might not be a strong enough candidate to be president."

It wasn't clear what aspect of the former first lady's actions he was referring to. Before she was fully aware of President Bill Clinton's relationship with Lewinsky, a White House intern, Hillary Rodham Clinton said the allegations about that relationship were manufactured by a "vast right-wing conspiracy."

Strange's question brought a stinging rebuke from Clinton's daughter. "Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question in the, I don't know maybe, 70 college campuses I've now been to, and I do not think that is any of your business," Chelsea Clinton said during the campaign visit for her mother.

"I'm a supporter of Hillary. I love Hillary," Strange said Wednesday on CBS' "The Early Show." He said he asked the question because his friends "always bring up that scandal. It's not something I asked to cause trouble but to show those people what makes Hillary so strong."

He said that by brushing him off, Chelsea Clinton missed an opportunity to show her mother's strength.

"I was very surprised" at the rebuke, Strange said. "I can see where she'd get a little defensive because of the question and hearing Lewinsky over and over again, but I would like to hear her say something about Hillary rather than dismissing the question."
http://wcbstv.com/politics/chelsea.clinton.monica.2.685012.html

VIDEO OF THE EXCHANGE - http://hotair.com/archives/2008/03/25/video-chelsea-gets-the-monica-question/

I'm kind of on the fence here. On one hand, I felt sorry for Chelsea. She was a kid when the scandal happened and she's not responsible for what her parents do. But on the other hand, she is out campaigning for her mother and it was a serious question. Bill's actions made it a public issue and a legal one. At that point, all bets were off. And if Hillary wants to tout her "experience" as the reason she deserves to be president, then she should expect these types of questions.

And given that Chelsea said he was the first person to ever ask, it's not like she's sick of repeating the answer. She could have been a little more tactful while still defending her mother. Of course I have the advantage of seeing it as an outsider. But people are fickle and judgemental and nosey. That's part of running for office. A wittier, nicer reply may win over people. And Hillary needs all the help she can get at this point.

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Chelsea Clinton on Monica: "None of your business"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:20:57 AM »

good old fashioned civility and manners should have prevented that kid from asking a young lady that question in the first place.  that is, if the young lady's father hadn't had such a big hand in destroying our culture's sense of civility and decorum in the first place.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:25:32 AM »

good old fashioned civility and manners should have prevented that kid from asking a young lady that question in the first place.  that is, if the young lady's father hadn't had such a big hand in destroying our culture's sense of civility and decorum in the first place.

:werd: Someone should ask her about the fact that the Clinton Scandal (I REFUSE to call it the Lewinksy Scandal because he's the perpetrator. But yet, there are so many Clinton Scandals....Okay back on topic) affected an entire generation's beliefs about sexual "relations", telling the truth and faithfulness. It's no accident that young adults/teens today are having more unprotected sex and stopping short of calling it what it is or taking precautions. Oy.  :thatsright:

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »

It is a huge elephant in every room both mrs.. clinton and her daughter go into.  It goes to character and ability to see and speak the truth.  We all know mrs. clinton lied mis-spoke in her book about her shocked SHOCKED reaction to her serial philanderer husband's infidelity. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:33:47 AM »

:werd: Someone should ask her about the fact that the Clinton Scandal (I REFUSE to call it the Lewinksy Scandal because he's the perpetrator. But yet, there are so many Clinton Scandals....Okay back on topic) affected an entire generation's beliefs about sexual "relations", telling the truth and faithfulness. It's no accident that young adults/teens today are having more unprotected sex and stopping short of calling it what it is or taking precautions. Oy.  :thatsright:

that whole thing is rippling through a generation of morally shattered young people.

I actually overheard an argument in which both of the participants were 20 something females over whether "a lewinsky" was considered "sex".   the idea, of course, is that the second it isn't "sex", it is immediately and totally "de-stigmatized" (if you will), and a little oral fun whenever the opportunity arises ( :thatsright: no pun intended) is the moral equivalent of going to the malt shop.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:37:21 AM »

It is a huge elephant in every room both mrs.. clinton and her daughter go into.  It goes to character and ability to see and speak the truth.  We all know mrs. clinton lied mis-spoke in her book about her shocked SHOCKED reaction to her serial philanderer husband's infidelity. 

yeah, it is, but it's not the point in this particular instance as I see it.  if that kid had been raised in a culture that hadn't been stood on it's head morally, he would have never in a million years made a reference to that particular activity to a young lady, especially in public.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 09:38:45 AM »

that whole thing is rippling through a generation of morally shattered young people.

I actually overheard an argument in which both of the participants were 20 something females over whether "a lewinsky" was considered "sex".   the idea, of course, is that the second it isn't "sex", it is immediately and totally "de-stigmatized" (if you will), and a little oral fun whenever the opportunity arises ( :thatsright: no pun intended) is the moral equivalent of going to the malt shop.

I was born 25 years too late ;)

(not really, I actually find the complete amorality of kids today to be quite terrible)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:42:03 AM »

(not really, I actually find the complete amorality of kids today to be quite terrible)

it's much, much worse than mere amorality.  there is an obvious desire to avoid clearly immoral behavior, but an absolute inability to identify it.   this is a very different, and much more troubling thing.

Offline lastparker

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »
I'm confused about the outrage at the "Clinton scandal", when some posters here were recently defending men who cheat as victims of their wives' lack of attention and affection.  Just judging from what I see of Hillary publicly, I can well imagine she was far more involved in her own interests while Bill was President than she was in "taking care of her man's needs".  So, doesn't this mean she is to blame for what he did????

Not my position, but it was a sentiment stated here not so long ago.

As for Chelsea's response, I was a little disappointed.  When the news teaser came on CNN about "wait 'til you hear what Chelsea said to earn a round of applause", and then I heard the question, I was really waiting for her to come up with something awesome to make Hillary look like, well, the impossible:  a woman of substance.

On second thought, Chelsea really had nothing to work with, so her respose is the best she could do under the circumstances.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:35:38 AM »
I felt more sorry for Chelsea then Hillary during the Monicagate or whatever you call it. She didn't pick her father OR her mother who knew from the very beginning what a cad Bill was. That was a stupid question. Better question, why did her mother lie about being under enemy fire in Bosnia while Chelsea was there?

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 11:46:50 AM »
I don't feel sorry for Chelsea. She responded in the typical arrogant Clinton manner. They are all cut from the same cloth. The Clintons are a giant skid mark on this country and the sooner Hillary is defeated by Obama the better off we will all be. :censored: :censored:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:51:58 AM »
I don't feel sorry for Chelsea. She responded in the typical arrogant Clinton manner. They are all cut from the same cloth. The Clintons are a giant skid mark on this country and the sooner Hillary is defeated by McCain the better off we will all be. :censored: :censored:
Fixt.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 02:27:11 PM »

what is wrong with the question that was asked of Chelsie? the guy asked, "does the monica issue affect your mom's credibility?" maybe chelsie is the wrong person to ask - but someone in that campaign better figure out the answer to it cause the people voting for her want to know.

it was a hillary supporter, supposedly. and when was politics ever considered a civilized sport?

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 02:32:46 PM »

it's much, much worse than mere amorality.  there is an obvious desire to avoid clearly immoral behavior, but an absolute inability to identify it.   this is a very different, and much more troubling thing.

hey, dont lump them all in together. a good portion of them are not having random sex, or doing drugs or any of the other stuff their leftie parents tell them is ok to experiment with.

even my little hippie mom across the street is finall figuring out that six year olds need discipline and parental guidance and .. that its not cool to teach your 2 year old son that "****" is a funny word..

i think the left is always at cross purposes with the world they live in; they want everyone to be free and peaceful, but to date they dont seem to realize that freedom and peace come from a discipline in society. its the public discussion that is difficult for them to participate in cause you cant let your little darlings run wild or they infringe on other's space.

its a hard thing to admit for them.. so they just dont.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 03:01:05 PM »

what is wrong with the question that was asked of Chelsie? the guy asked, "does the monica issue affect your mom's credibility?" maybe chelsie is the wrong person to ask - but someone in that campaign better figure out the answer to it cause the people voting for her want to know.

it was a hillary supporter, supposedly. and when was politics ever considered a civilized sport?

forget that it has anything to do with the clintons for a second.

this is one of those few times that i am leaving the political ramifications of an episode completely aside for a moment, and looking aghast at the social and cultural implications surrounding the fact that some young man someplace had the audacity to ask a young lady if her mother lost credibility because her husband got blown by someone.

c'mon.  this is one of those times that there are deeper issues here than mere political utility.

in a better day and age, he would have gotten his ass kicked right there and then.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »

hey, dont lump them all in together. a good portion of them are not having random sex, or doing drugs or any of the other stuff their leftie parents tell them is ok to experiment with.

even my little hippie mom across the street is finall figuring out that six year olds need discipline and parental guidance and .. that its not cool to teach your 2 year old son that "****" is a funny word..

i think the left is always at cross purposes with the world they live in; they want everyone to be free and peaceful, but to date they dont seem to realize that freedom and peace come from a discipline in society. its the public discussion that is difficult for them to participate in cause you cant let your little darlings run wild or they infringe on other's space.

have it your way.  this generation of young people is infinitely more morally healthy for having grown up in the clinton era squalor.

(yeah, I know you didn't say that.  but if you unfold it to it's logical extreme, it isn't that far off  :-))

Offline Lauri

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 03:15:31 PM »

this is one of those few times that i am leaving the political ramifications of an episode completely aside for a moment, and looking aghast at the social and cultural implications surrounding the fact that some young man someplace had the audacity to ask a young lady if her mother lost credibility because her husband got blown by someone.

c'mon.  this is one of those times that there are deeper issues here than mere political utility.

in a better day and age, he would have gotten his ass kicked right there and then.

by who? he's a leftie :-)

maybe if he was a conservative asking crude questions of another conservative... but our politicians think we, the public, are fairly stupid and not plugged in. i hope Chelsie was rocked on her heels that even the people in her own party think her parents are not so swift. she's lived in a bubble just a little bit too long.

the guy wasnt vulgar or mean.. and her response was childish. if youre a spokesperson for the campaign, you dont tell the voters supporting you that its 'none of their business' .. especially when all Hilary talks about is her vetting and her experience and credibility. it deserves to be questioned.. aggressively.  

Offline Lauri

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »

have it your way.  this generation of young people is infinitely more morally healthy for having grown up in the clinton era squalor.

(yeah, I know you didn't say that.  but if you unfold it to it's logical extreme, it isn't that far off  :-))

nooo, thats not my point at all. my point is, even when hippies finally start having kids.. they realize the leftie ways just dont work.

they also realize that morals are something that is good to pass on, even if they are Democrats. i know lots of Dem parents here that are far more conservative than they want to admit, but they are. in fact, i think we are having a return to conservatism by the younger generation cause they dont like Hilary.. and now most of the kids I know who were so dazzled by Obama are now falling away from him.

the sad part is, they think McCain is too old but they generally like him more than Obama now. he seems stable and grandfatherly.. and that's easier to accept than a scheming woman or a liar african american.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »

maybe if he was a conservative asking crude questions of another conservative... but our politicians think we, the public, are fairly stupid and not plugged in. i hope Chelsie was rocked on her heels that even the people in her own party think her parents are not so swift. she's lived in a bubble just a little bit too long.

the guy wasnt vulgar or mean.. and her response was childish. if youre a spokesperson for the campaign, you dont tell the voters supporting you that its 'none of their business' .. especially when all Hilary talks about is her vetting and her experience and credibility. it deserves to be questioned.. aggressively. 

ok, ya got me on the "by who" thing.  I give ya that one. :wink:

but just for the sake of argument, and assuming that the highly unlikely eventuality that hillary is nominated actually comes to pass, I don't think we will beat her in the general election by aggressively questioning her daughter, or anyone else for that matter, on zippergate.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »

Kind of what I thought as well. I thought Chelsea was the innocent given that she was a child and not responsible for her parent's actions. But if said parents are going to put her on the campaign trail, then people are going to excercise their right to free speech. Was it tasteless or classless? That's not really at issue. For me, it's the fact that Hillary went on national TV to deny Bill's affairs and publicly labeled it all a vast right wing conspiracy. Sorry, you don't get to pick and choose what parts of your "co-presidency" are up for debate. Perhaps he should have asked Chelsea how that VWRC angle worked out. :-)  

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 03:44:38 PM »

Kind of what I thought as well. I thought Chelsea was the innocent given that she was a child and not responsible for her parent's actions. But if said parents are going to put her on the campaign trail, then people are going to excercise their right to free speech. Was it tasteless or classless? That's not really at issue. For me, it's the fact that Hillary went on national TV to deny Bill's affairs and publicly labeled it all a vast right wing conspiracy. Sorry, you don't get to pick and choose what parts of your "co-presidency" are up for debate. Perhaps he should have asked Chelsea how that VWRC angle worked out. :-) 

ok, hypothetical question (and being a hypothetical question, you aren't allowed to disagree with the hypothesis :-));  what if it wasn't a clinton, and wasn't part of a presidential campaign, and we didn't all hate the parents?

NOW what do you think of the question?

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »
Let's ask you.

How would you feel about your dad getting his penis sucked by the neighbor lady?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Lauri

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 04:09:23 PM »

ok, ya got me on the "by who" thing.  I give ya that one. :wink:

but just for the sake of argument, and assuming that the highly unlikely eventuality that hillary is nominated actually comes to pass, I don't think we will beat her in the general election by aggressively questioning her daughter, or anyone else for that matter, on zippergate.

but you keep missing this one key point; we didnt ask her this .. someone in her own party asked it. one of her own supporters.

they want to know if she can be more ethical and apparently, she and her campaign choose not to answer that.

i think it must speak volumes about her credibility to her supporters out there that they will not answer it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 04:26:57 PM »
Let's ask you.

How would you feel about your dad getting his penis sucked by the neighbor lady?

You go into public life, your life is at issue.  So sad, too bad.  If you don't want questions like that, don't go into politics.

Either mrs. clinton lied about not knowing bubba was a serial philanderer their entire marriage OR she is the dumbest woman on the planet.  In either case, it is at issue.  And if you campaign for her, you have to deal with that issue.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 04:27:38 PM »
your opinion.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!