Author Topic: Chelsea Clinton on Monica: "None of your business"  (Read 12065 times)

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: Chelsea Clinton on Monica: "None of your business"
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »
I'm confused about the outrage at the "Clinton scandal", when some posters here were recently defending men who cheat as victims of their wives' lack of attention and affection.  Just judging from what I see of Hillary publicly, I can well imagine she was far more involved in her own interests while Bill was President than she was in "taking care of her man's needs".  So, doesn't this mean she is to blame for what he did????

Not my position, but it was a sentiment stated here not so long ago.

As for Chelsea's response, I was a little disappointed.  When the news teaser came on CNN about "wait 'til you hear what Chelsea said to earn a round of applause", and then I heard the question, I was really waiting for her to come up with something awesome to make Hillary look like, well, the impossible:  a woman of substance.

On second thought, Chelsea really had nothing to work with, so her respose is the best she could do under the circumstances.

GOOD point. I see no one bothered to explain themselves about it, either  :whatever:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2008, 10:17:07 AM »
^I think Bill is a serial womanizer. I don't think the scenario is quite the same.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
^I think Bill is a serial womanizer. I don't think the scenario is quite the same.

Because maybe his needs weren't being met by Hillary...after all, the word is that she is a lesbian.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »

Because maybe his needs weren't being met by Hillary...after all, the word is that she is a lesbian.
I get ill trying to figure out the bedroom habits of those two!! :-)

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »
Let's ask you.

How would you feel about your dad getting his penis sucked by the neighbor lady?

I have no idea for whom you intend this question, and I probably don't want to.  suffice it to say that
dragging mothers and fathers into relatively abstract discussions is a really, really, really bad idea.

I disagree.  See my #23.

I read it.  and as happens with some of your posts, I disagreed with most of the parts that I managed to understand. :whatever: :-)

I promise to parse it better in the future. ;)

it must be me this time :-)

either everyone's ability (or perhaps "willingness" would be a better word) to understand
abstractions stops where the clintons are concerned, or I have picked up a "gibberish virus". 
I keep getting responses that are arguing against a position that I just am not defending.

I think I will quit while I am behind. :tongue: :-)

Asking a child a question about their parents' affair is certainly poor form.  However, you cannot relate the two as motivation and reason for question are certainly applicable in this instance.

A child (who is an adult) being asked a question: about her mother who was first lady for the time period in question; and her father who was president; while said child is actively campaiging for her mother who while a sitting U.S. Senator, is running for the office of presidency -- hell yeah, not only is the question germane, but highly proper. 

If the child expects to be shielded from hard questions then she is ill suited for the job of campaigning. 

Sorry, I certainly understand what you are saying.  I just do not agree with it at all.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2008, 06:52:02 PM »

The whole thing has certainly morphed to conform to everyone's desires for the question to have been something a lot different than it really was over four pages.

I believe the point of it had exactly Jack Shit to do with what Mini-Messalina knew about the affair, it was how to respond to those jabbing supporters (like the questioner) about how Messalina Sr. could be the Smartest Woman on Earth And Really Able to Run the Country if she was that ignorant about something as obvious as Bill's sociopathic sex addiction...to which there isn't a good answer (for her), because there is no way to respond that doesn't make Messalina Sr. out to be either a liar or a fool.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »

wow... where is this discussion where people were blaming the wives for not taking care of their men's every desire?

Offline Lauri

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2008, 11:05:39 PM »
WE - I get where you are coming from. I think we all pretty much agree. It just sucks (no pun intended!) that this is an issue. And I lay the blame for that squarely on the Clintons. Billary brought this to America's door 10 years ago. Yes, I felt for Chelsea at the time. I kind of still do. No one gets to pick their parents (well except for maybe those little urchins Angelina Jolie scoops up) and having their faults played out in the media must be soul crushing. But, Chelsea seems to be a very bright, motivated woman who has made a career for herself in the world of finance. She chose to step into the role of campaigner for mom. My sympathy waivers a tiny bit.....

exactly.  that is what I have been trying to say, but apparently I was saying it in greek or something. :-)

no, we got what you were saying.. i think with politics, its just all fair game.

civility is overrated .. in fact, i think political correctness makes us think we shouldnt ask delicate questions of each other. well, im afraid that tactic has left us with an inability to express ourselves anymore.

lets face it, the internet is the last place you can actually speak your mind without people knowing who you are. look at all the crap we dole out for people in the public eye who actually DO speak their mind?

we arent supposed to talk about religion and politics and our personal finances and how badly our kids really act... and we arent supposed to gossip.

what the hell is there left?? :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »
WE - I get where you are coming from. I think we all pretty much agree. It just sucks (no pun intended!) that this is an issue. And I lay the blame for that squarely on the Clintons. Billary brought this to America's door 10 years ago. Yes, I felt for Chelsea at the time. I kind of still do. No one gets to pick their parents (well except for maybe those little urchins Angelina Jolie scoops up) and having their faults played out in the media must be soul crushing. But, Chelsea seems to be a very bright, motivated woman who has made a career for herself in the world of finance. She chose to step into the role of campaigner for mom. My sympathy waivers a tiny bit.....

exactly.  that is what I have been trying to say, but apparently I was saying it in greek or something. :-)

no, we got what you were saying.. i think with politics, its just all fair game.

civility is overrated .. in fact, i think political correctness makes us think we shouldnt ask delicate questions of each other. well, im afraid that tactic has left us with an inability to express ourselves anymore.

lets face it, the internet is the last place you can actually speak your mind without people knowing who you are. look at all the crap we dole out for people in the public eye who actually DO speak their mind?

we arent supposed to talk about religion and politics and our personal finances and how badly our kids really act... and we arent supposed to gossip.

I just thought it was incredibly indecorous of the you man that asked the question. 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2008, 11:10:07 PM »

wow... where is this discussion where people were blaming the wives for not taking care of their men's every desire?

I couldn't find it either.  I just took it aboard as a generic argument.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2008, 11:15:12 PM »

I just thought it was incredibly indecorous of the you man that asked the question. 

just dont forget, it was a hilary supporter and the guy is still voting for her. he was on FOX the day after it happened and he said he wasnt trying to trip her up or be rude.. he actually thought he was giving the campaign a way to discuss the issue with their supporters.

it apparently did fall flat.. but Hilary's supporters do indeed want assurances that her husband wont embarass them again. she doesnt seem to get that yet.. but thats the bottom line. and there really is no way to ask that question of any person in a decorous way :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2008, 11:22:47 PM »

just dont forget, it was a hilary supporter and the guy is still voting for her. he was on FOX the day after it happened and he said he wasnt trying to trip her up or be rude.. he actually thought he was giving the campaign a way to discuss the issue with their supporters.

it apparently did fall flat.. but Hilary's supporters do indeed want assurances that her husband wont embarass them again. she doesnt seem to get that yet.. but thats the bottom line. and there really is no way to ask that question of any person in a decorous way :-)

you forget my point that the subject would have never come up in a social setting if it weren't for her dad.

the damage that her dad did to our social fabric is almost inestimable.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »
well, i dont know that Bill Clinton alone is responsible.. we had JFK decades before, but nobody would ask the hard questions back then of him.

we've really not had good runs of moral/ethical people as leaders in this country.. on either side of the aisle. but i blame society for that as well; we dont hold people accountable cause we fear being too tough on them.

Clinton brought about a new reason to discuss sex at earlier ages with our kids, but he didnt single handedly do it; parents are still the arbiters of their children's educations. and we can certainly tell our kids that the president was wrong to do what he did and explain how that hurt his family AND our country.

but i think many adults were just too plain embarrassed that he had done it in the first place and so, didnt want to keep dredging it up. we let political correctness silence the discussion cause.. well, we just dont talk about sex in a polite society.

some people did discuss it.. but by and large, i think most of us just wanted it to go away. we missed a national opportunity there for our kids and ourselves to engage about how we want our elected leaders to behave.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »
You know what I find funny - wen Faux coved this the story was not the question that the kid asked it was the fact that it was the first time Little Clinton had been asked "the question."  And they never played her whole response - they played this bite: "Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question." And then they faded into a discussion of why it hasn't come up before this. 
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2008, 08:32:37 PM »
You know what I find funny - wen Faux coved this the story was not the question that the kid asked it was the fact that it was the first time Little Clinton had been asked "the question."  And they never played her whole response - they played this bite: "Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question." And then they faded into a discussion of why it hasn't come up before this. 

i guess the part after that was, she said it was none of his business and the crowd applauded her.

it was quite an "I am Woman-ish" moment for Chelsea. but it made her look naive. we know she knows. she knows we know..

there literally is no one on the planet above 15 years old who doesnt know who bill clinton is and what he did...

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »

i guess the part after that was, she said it was none of his business and the crowd applauded her.

it was quite an "I am Woman-ish" moment for Chelsea. but it made her look naive. we know she knows. she knows we know..

there literally is no one on the planet above 15 years old who doesnt know who bill clinton is and what he did...

ok, what was she going to say instead?  not defending chelsea, by any means, but some form of "stick it" was about her only play. although, strictly speaking, the question wasn't about the moni*cough*ca itself;  it was about her mother's credibility upon the subject of her denials/blame casting about the episode.

"yes, my mother has great credibility even though she blamed rush limbaugh for the fact that daddy got a hummer from a pudgy 19 year old chick"?  "wow, you're right.  her credibility did take a hit.  she should have known that dad is a total whore dog"? :-)  none of those were going to work, were they? :lmao:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »

ok, what was she going to say instead?  not defending chelsea, by any means, but some form of "stick it" was about her only play. although, strictly speaking, the question wasn't about the moni*cough*ca itself;  it was about her mother's credibility upon the subject of her denials/blame casting about the episode.

"yes, my mother has great credibility even though she blamed rush limbaugh for the fact that daddy got a hummer from a pudgy 19 year old chick"?  "wow, you're right.  her credibility did take a hit.  she should have known that dad is a total whore dog"? :-)  none of those were going to work, were they? :lmao:

remember when Hilary cried the first time? and she said how 'hard' it was being on the campaign trail and being a woman? her numbers went up drastically and people loved her almost human like response. :-)

if i was advising the Clinton's.. I would tell them to just be truthful about it once and for all. just say, "it was a mistake and yes it hurt me and Chelsea... but we want to put it behind us and go forward from here ...blahh blah blah" and the sheep on her side will eat it up. but she has to show a little bit of the hurt. she has to give them a sound bite about it once and for all. something they can believe. otherwise, it will never go away.

its manipulative like her other schtick ... but it seems to work with her people..

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2008, 10:06:27 PM »

remember when Hilary cried the first time? and she said how 'hard' it was being on the campaign trail and being a woman? her numbers went up drastically and people loved her almost human like response. :-)

if i was advising the Clinton's.. I would tell them to just be truthful about it once and for all. just say, "it was a mistake and yes it hurt me and Chelsea... but we want to put it behind us and go forward from here ...blahh blah blah" and the sheep on her side will eat it up. but she has to show a little bit of the hurt. she has to give them a sound bite about it once and for all. something they can believe. otherwise, it will never go away.

its manipulative like her other schtick ... but it seems to work with her people..

odd that a chick candidate has to act so stereotypically like a chick to get points for simply being a chick.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »
Should take a page out of Barackstar!'s book. He seems to do well with being audacious and "honest". Although he never really says anything of substance. He kind of reminds me of Robin Williams in Man of the Year.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2008, 11:24:44 AM »
Should take a page out of Barackstar!'s book. He seems to do well with being audacious and "honest". Although he never really says anything of substance. He kind of reminds me of Robin Williams in Man of the Year.

hmmmm.  maybe you have a point. 

"I think this would present an excellent opportunity to open a national dialog about getting and giving moni*cough*cas in the workplace.  my father did many things over his 8 years in office, only a few of them involved getting a hummer.  how would you like to have just a few episodes of your life used to represent your whole life.  the moni*cough*cas were just snippets of his life;  little stains that aren't representative of his overall fabric.  and I never personally witness any of the moni*cough*cas.    if I had, I would have gotten up and left the room before he finished himself by pounding it in the sink.  then I would have left the white house, and joined another family where they didn't do themselves into bathroom receptacles, and pudgy 19 year old chicks could live in relative peace and quiet".

naw, "none of your damn business" was definitely the way to go.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2008, 11:48:26 AM »

hmmmm.  maybe you have a point. 

"I think this would present an excellent opportunity to open a national dialog about getting and giving moni*cough*cas in the workplace.  my father did many things over his 8 years in office, only a few of them involved getting a hummer.  how would you like to have just a few episodes of your life used to represent your whole life.  the moni*cough*cas were just snippets of his life;  little stains that aren't representative of his overall fabric.  and I never personally witness any of the moni*cough*cas.    if I had, I would have gotten up and left the room before he finished himself by pounding it in the sink.  then I would have left the white house, and joined another family where they didn't do themselves into bathroom receptacles, and pudgy 19 year old chicks could live in relative peace and quiet".

naw, "none of your damn business" was definitely the way to go.

:rotf: your version is much better!