Author Topic: Chelsea Clinton on Monica: "None of your business"  (Read 12066 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Chelsea Clinton on Monica: "None of your business"
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
your opinion.
And an accurate analysis.  And what dripping irony that the clintons are crying "foul" for someone (on their side) stooping to uncovering dirt.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 04:41:24 PM »
Quote from: Lauri
i think the left is always at cross purposes with the world they live in; they want everyone to be free and peaceful, but to date they dont seem to realize that freedom and peace come from a discipline in society.

Bingo!

Freedom is good........ to a point.  Too much freedom isn't freedom at all, it's anarchy.  Libs in general can't seem to grasp this simple concept.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 05:15:32 PM »

good old fashioned civility and manners should have prevented that kid from asking a young lady that question in the first place.  that is, if the young lady's father hadn't had such a big hand in destroying our culture's sense of civility and decorum in the first place.

what is wrong with the question that was asked of Chelsie? the guy asked, "does the monica issue affect your mom's credibility?" maybe chelsie is the wrong person to ask - but someone in that campaign better figure out the answer to it cause the people voting for her want to know.

it was a hillary supporter, supposedly. and when was politics ever considered a civilized sport?

forget that it has anything to do with the clintons for a second.

this is one of those few times that i am leaving the political ramifications of an episode completely aside for a moment, and looking aghast at the social and cultural implications surrounding the fact that some young man someplace had the audacity to ask a young lady if her mother lost credibility because her husband got blown by someone.

c'mon.  this is one of those times that there are deeper issues here than mere political utility.

in a better day and age, he would have gotten his ass kicked right there and then.

by who? he's a leftie :-)

maybe if he was a conservative asking crude questions of another conservative... but our politicians think we, the public, are fairly stupid and not plugged in. i hope Chelsie was rocked on her heels that even the people in her own party think her parents are not so swift. she's lived in a bubble just a little bit too long.

the guy wasnt vulgar or mean.. and her response was childish. if youre a spokesperson for the campaign, you dont tell the voters supporting you that its 'none of their business' .. especially when all Hilary talks about is her vetting and her experience and credibility. it deserves to be questioned.. aggressively. 

ok, ya got me on the "by who" thing.  I give ya that one. :wink:

but just for the sake of argument, and assuming that the highly unlikely eventuality that hillary is nominated actually comes to pass, I don't think we will beat her in the general election by aggressively questioning her daughter, or anyone else for that matter, on zippergate.

but you keep missing this one key point; we didnt ask her this .. someone in her own party asked it. one of her own supporters.

they want to know if she can be more ethical and apparently, she and her campaign choose not to answer that.

i think it must speak volumes about her credibility to her supporters out there that they will not answer it.

I find the "we vs. they" question to be irrelevant to the larger point that I am making . . . (badly, apparently). :-)

we have bigger problems than the clintons themselves;  it's the damage they have done to our culture as it pertains to our public discourse.  the coarseness of our public discourse, if you will, especially on the subject of sex.   I simply find this kid's question to be a symptom of that bigger problem.

I am NOT defending the clintons for heaven's sake.  I'm just ignoring them, as themselves, for the moment.  there is no sense in arguing over her credibility as it pertains to the particulars of the actual lewinsky event(s);  yeah, she blamed republicans instead of the blowee.  ok, gotcha.  her judgment sucks as much as moni*ciough*ca, and that means that her credibility is for shit, too.  I agree completely.  but also not my point.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 05:17:35 PM »
Let's ask you.

How would you feel about your dad getting his penis sucked by the neighbor lady?

I have no idea for whom you intend this question, and I probably don't want to.  suffice it to say that
dragging mothers and fathers into relatively abstract discussions is a really, really, really bad idea.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »
Let's ask you.

How would you feel about your dad getting his penis sucked by the neighbor lady?

I have no idea for whom you intend this question, and I probably don't want to.  suffice it to say that
dragging mothers and fathers into relatively abstract discussions is a really, really, really bad idea.

I disagree.  See my #23.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 05:34:03 PM »
Let's ask you.

I disagree.  See my #23.

I read it.  and as happens with some of your posts, I disagreed with most of the parts that I managed to understand. :whatever: :-)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 05:48:10 PM »

good old fashioned civility and manners should have prevented that kid from asking a young lady that question in the first place.  that is, if the young lady's father hadn't had such a big hand in destroying our culture's sense of civility and decorum in the first place.

I completely disagree, if she were a private person, sure, you would be right.  But no, she is acting as just another PR flack, surrogate for her mother the same as Bill, stumping for Hillary, so she CANNOT expect to hide behind the persona of a wounded widdle kiddiekins at the same time she is campaigning as an advocate.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 06:12:44 PM »

I completely disagree, if she were a private person, sure, you would be right.  But no, she is acting as just another PR flack, surrogate for her mother the same as Bill, stumping for Hillary, so she CANNOT expect to hide behind the persona of a wounded widdle kiddiekins at the same time she is campaigning as an advocate.

I agree.  She is campaigning -- she is fair game. 

She could however had answered the question with class.  She chose not too.  Like mother like daughter.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 06:17:34 PM »

what is wrong with the question that was asked of Chelsie? the guy asked, "does the monica issue affect your mom's credibility?" maybe chelsie is the wrong person to ask - but someone in that campaign better figure out the answer to it cause the people voting for her want to know.

it was a hillary supporter, supposedly. and when was politics ever considered a civilized sport?

this is one of those few times that i am leaving the political ramifications of an episode completely aside for a moment, and looking aghast at the social and cultural implications surrounding the fact that some young man someplace had the audacity to ask a young lady if her mother lost credibility because her husband got blown by someone.

c'mon.  this is one of those times that there are deeper issues here than mere political utility.

in a better day and age, he would have gotten his ass kicked right there and then.

maybe if he was a conservative asking crude questions of another conservative... but our politicians think we, the public, are fairly stupid and not plugged in. i hope Chelsie was rocked on her heels that even the people in her own party think her parents are not so swift. she's lived in a bubble just a little bit too long.

the guy wasnt vulgar or mean.. and her response was childish. if youre a spokesperson for the campaign, you dont tell the voters supporting you that its 'none of their business' .. especially when all Hilary talks about is her vetting and her experience and credibility. it deserves to be questioned.. aggressively. 
Kind of what I thought as well. I thought Chelsea was the innocent given that she was a child and not responsible for her parent's actions. But if said parents are going to put her on the campaign trail, then people are going to excercise their right to free speech. Was it tasteless or classless? That's not really at issue. For me, it's the fact that Hillary went on national TV to deny Bill's affairs and publicly labeled it all a vast right wing conspiracy. Sorry, you don't get to pick and choose what parts of your "co-presidency" are up for debate. Perhaps he should have asked Chelsea how that VWRC angle worked out. :-) 

ok, hypothetical question (and being a hypothetical question, you aren't allowed to disagree with the hypothesis :-));  what if it wasn't a clinton, and wasn't part of a presidential campaign, and we didn't all hate the parents?

NOW what do you think of the question?

Doesn't matter.  The minute they start campaigning they are fair game.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »

Kind of what I thought as well. I thought Chelsea was the innocent given that she was a child and not responsible for her parent's actions. But if said parents are going to put her on the campaign trail, then people are going to excercise their right to free speech. Was it tasteless or classless? That's not really at issue. For me, it's the fact that Hillary went on national TV to deny Bill's affairs and publicly labeled it all a vast right wing conspiracy. Sorry, you don't get to pick and choose what parts of your "co-presidency" are up for debate. Perhaps he should have asked Chelsea how that VWRC angle worked out. :-) 

ok, hypothetical question (and being a hypothetical question, you aren't allowed to disagree with the hypothesis :-));  what if it wasn't a clinton, and wasn't part of a presidential campaign, and we didn't all hate the parents?

NOW what do you think of the question?

Doesn't matter.  The minute they start campaigning they are fair game.

And mrs. clinton's response is very much at issue for her qualifications as President.  If you are so dense you can't see a serial philanderer ten you are too stupid to be President.  If you just lied about it then you are too dishonest to be President.

And who better would know than the now political center stage daughter?  The question is Germain and within bounds.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 06:37:09 PM »

I agree.  She is campaigning -- she is fair game. 

She could however had answered the question with class.  She chose not too.  Like mother like daughter.

Pretty standard Lib tactic -- kerry used it shamelessly: "How DARE you ask that question!  How DARE you question me about the event that is seared -- SEARED -- into my brain?  Even if it didn't happen? How DARE you?"

Offline Chris_

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 06:37:43 PM »
Let's ask you.

I disagree.  See my #23.

I read it.  and as happens with some of your posts, I disagreed with most of the parts that I managed to understand. :whatever: :-)

I promise to parse it better in the future. ;)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »
Hmmm....must be a bad idea to ask people that, eh?

Your honor, The Defense rests.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2008, 07:15:10 PM »
Hmmm....must be a bad idea to ask people that, eh?

Your honor, The Defense rests.

Not if they are in the public eye and it is a campaign issue, no.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2008, 07:22:55 PM »
and I disagree.

There is no reason to ask the daughter of the crimes or sins of the parents. You know she is not going to answer in a manner that the press want, (gotcha!) so what is the point? Causing the daughter pain?

Thanks, but no thanks.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »
and I disagree.

There is no reason to ask the daughter of the crimes or sins of the parents. You know she is not going to answer in a manner that the press want, (gotcha!) so what is the point? Causing the daughter pain?

Thanks, but no thanks.

chelsea is shilling for Mama.  She is representing her as a spokesperson.  If she doesn;t want the tough questions that are at issue, she shouldn't be there.  What about when they ask her about the HUNDREDS of lies her Mama has been busted about.  Is that off limits?  What about 9/11 resulting from her daddy's administration by trial balloon?  Taboo topic?  Killing Vince Foster?  How DARE you!

So all you can ask her is "so, who picked out your mama's last pants suit?"

Libtard pet tricks.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
Let's ask you.

I disagree.  See my #23.

it must be me this time :-)

either everyone's ability (or perhaps "willingness" would be a better word) to understand
abstractions stops where the clintons are concerned, or I have picked up a "gibberish virus". 
I keep getting responses that are arguing against a position that I just am not defending.

I think I will quit while I am behind. :tongue: :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »
Let's ask you.

I disagree.  See my #23.

either everyone's ability (or perhaps "willingness" would be a better word) to understand
abstractions stops where the clintons are concerned, or I have picked up a "gibberish virus". 
I keep getting responses that are arguing against a position that I just am not defending.

I did that once and my ass still hurts.

I suspect this isn't a problem of ideas.  I think this is a semantic problem of context.

So please let me reiterate what I think the proper position is -- as an absolute, not as an argument for or against any contentions posted:

• The same criteria are in play whether the person of interest is a Conservative or liberal.  We must be intellectually honest.

• The Lewinsky issue is a bona fide campaign political issue.  To wit: either mrs. clinton lied in her memoirs or she was dumber than dirt not to see her husband's constant philandering.  This means the potential POTUS is either a liar (again!) or really stupid.  THIS IS A CAMPAIGN ISSUE -- ESPECIALLY FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO CLAIM TO BE A PART OF HER HUSBAND'S DECISION MAKING PROCESS.
  • The daughter is campaigning (shilling) for her mom.  This may be a sensitive issue, but it is on point.  She decided to become a vocal proponent for her mom.  It is no more off-limits than her mom's Whitewater involvement, her dad's creating 9/11, or any other aspect of the Presidency that mrs. clinton is attempting to co-opt. If you want the good, you have to accept the bad.
  • Bottom line: the question was, and is, appropriate and requires an answer.  If young ms. clinton doesn't want to deal with it, she should retire from politics immediately.

I hope that clears up any misunderstandings and, more importantly, bad feelings.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:52:53 PM by freedumb2003 »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 10:06:50 PM »
Let's ask you.

I disagree.  See my #23.

I did that once and my ass still hurts.

I suspect this isn't a problem of ideas.  I think this is a semantic problem of context.

So please let me reiterate what I think the proper position is -- as an absolute, not as an argument for or against any contentions posted:

• The same criteria are in play whether the person of interest is a Conservative or liberal.  We must be intellectually honest.
    The Lewinsky issue is a bona fide campaign political issue.  To wit: either mrs. clinton lied in her memoirs or she was dumber than dirt not to see her husband's constant philandering.  This means the potential POTUS is either a liar (again!) or really stupid.  THIS IS A CAMPAIGN ISSUE -- ESPECIALLY FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO CLAIM TO BE A PART OF HER HUSBAND'S DECISION MAKING PROCESS.
    The daughter is campaigning (shilling) for her mom.  This may be a sensitive issue, but it is on point.  She decided to become a vocal proponent for her mom.  It is no more off-limits than her mom's Whitewater involvement, her dad's creating 9/11, or any other aspect of the Presidency that mrs. clinton is attempting to co-opt. If you want the good, you have to accept the bad.
    Bottom line: the question was, and is, appropriate and requires an answer.  If young ms. clinton doesn't want to deal with it, she should retire from politics immediately.

I hope that clears up any misunderstandings and, more importantly, bad feelings.

oh, i got your argument. in fact, I agree with it, more or less.  :wink:  but discussing the actual
incident was a little boring to me, so I was trying to turn it into a hypothetical young lady being
asked a question about that sort of subject outside of the context of a political campaign, and
discuss the social implications of the entire little episode.  the clintons aside, I just found the whole
thing a little disturbing.  then again, the irony is that it was bill clinton that drug the whole topic
of "a lewinsky" into our public discourse in the first place.

anyway, it obviously, didn't work.  you know you are on strange ground when people start thinking
that you are somehow defending the clintons. 

maybe I will find a different thread to screw up tomorrow. :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2008, 10:23:16 PM »

oh, i got your argument. in fact, I agree with it, more or less.  :wink:  but discussing the actual
incident was a little boring to me, so I was trying to turn it into a hypothetical young lady being
asked a question about that sort of subject outside of the context of a political campaign, and
discuss the social implications of the entire little episode.  the clintons aside, I just found the whole
thing a little disturbing.  then again, the irony is that it was bill clinton that drug the whole topic
of "a lewinsky" into our public discourse in the first place.

anyway, it obviously, didn't work.  you know you are on strange ground when people start thinking
that you are somehow defending the clintons. 

maybe I will find a different thread to screw up tomorrow. :-)

We all know there is no need to work hard -- you can screw up any thread with almost no effort!

(actually, I think I missed your more subtle subtext -- but I always rescue threads, even if I have to drown them to do it).

Offline Lauri

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2008, 11:19:05 PM »
and I disagree.

Thanks, but no thanks.

it wasnt the press.. it was a Hilary supporter. and get this! he is STILL voting for Hilary after all this :-)

and WE, I get what youre saying... I just dont find it all that outrageous for anyone on the campaign trail to have these types of questions given to them.

they want to rule every aspect of our lives.. i say we get to know what their life is all about as well.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »
and I disagree.

Thanks, but no thanks.

it wasnt the press.. it was a Hilary supporter. and get this! he is STILL voting for Hilary after all this :-)

and WE, I get what youre saying... I just dont find it all that outrageous for anyone on the campaign trail to have these types of questions given to them.

they want to rule every aspect of our lives.. i say we get to know what their life is all about as well.

I think the question "did your candidate lie or is she just stupid?" is valid and reasonable whether or not the shill is the daughter of said candidate or not.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »
WE - I get where you are coming from. I think we all pretty much agree. It just sucks (no pun intended!) that this is an issue. And I lay the blame for that squarely on the Clintons. Billary brought this to America's door 10 years ago. Yes, I felt for Chelsea at the time. I kind of still do. No one gets to pick their parents (well except for maybe those little urchins Angelina Jolie scoops up) and having their faults played out in the media must be soul crushing. But, Chelsea seems to be a very bright, motivated woman who has made a career for herself in the world of finance. She chose to step into the role of campaigner for mom. My sympathy waivers a tiny bit.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 09:50:23 AM »
WE - I get where you are coming from. I think we all pretty much agree. It just sucks (no pun intended!) that this is an issue. And I lay the blame for that squarely on the Clintons. Billary brought this to America's door 10 years ago. Yes, I felt for Chelsea at the time. I kind of still do. No one gets to pick their parents (well except for maybe those little urchins Angelina Jolie scoops up) and having their faults played out in the media must be soul crushing. But, Chelsea seems to be a very bright, motivated woman who has made a career for herself in the world of finance. She chose to step into the role of campaigner for mom. My sympathy waivers a tiny bit.....

True, you have a point there. For all we know, this is the most time she ever spend with her mother in her young life. I still think it was a tacky question. However, they should have been be prepared for questions like this and Hillary should have be smacked for putting her daughter in that postion. But Chelsea is "all grown up" and noone forced her to do this.

What a ****ed up family.  :(

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2008, 09:58:23 AM »

exactly.  that is what I have been trying to say, but apparently I was saying it in greek or something. :-)