Author Topic: The day the Public option died  (Read 1732 times)

Offline zeitgeist

The day the Public option died
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
This could also be titled Lady Sings the Blues.

http://upload.democraticunderground.com/10024713815
pnwmom (51,505 posts)

The public option: how many of us remember when and why it died?

blah...blah...blah...

{snip}

The remaining obstacle was a pivotal group of pro-life Democrats led by Bart Stupak who were initially reluctant to support the bill. The group found the possibility of federal funding for abortion substantive enough to warrant opposition. The Senate bill had not included language that satisfied their abortion concerns, but they could not include additional such language in the reconciliation bill as it would be outside the scope of the process with its budgetary limits. Instead, President Obama issued Executive Order 13535, reaffirming the principles in the Hyde Amendment. This concession won the support of Stupak and members of his group and assured passage of the bill. The House passed the Senate bill with a 219–212 vote on March 21, 2010, with 34 Democrats and all 178 Republicans voting against it. The following day, Republicans introduced legislation to repeal the bill. Obama signed the ACA into law on March 23, 2010. The amendment bill, The Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act, was also passed by the House on March 21, by the Senate via reconciliation on March 25, and was signed by President Obama on March 30.

I am not bringing comments but will say there are lots of comments, wailing and lamentations, accusations and out right crying foul.  Poor demented DUmmies.  I believe it is worth rowing over to see thread in its totality in the wild.

I was tossed on the Beatles or Don McLean tunes for this one.   Birthday or Pie?
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
Re: The day the Public option died
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »
I was tossed on the Beatles or Don McLean tunes for this one.   Birthday or Pie?

Yes.  I like pie.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 06:37:33 PM »
Yes.  I like pie.

Ok hump boy, what kind? 

(I just had pumpkin with a slice of cheddar and cup of coffee.)

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
Response to pnwmom (Original post)
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 11:27 AM

Star Member Scuba (36,519 posts)

2. When did the Constitution change from majority rule to super-majority rule? I missed that.
One word DUmbass. Republic.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »
Boy, are the (D)Ummies gonna be pissed if they ever find out that we almost had Universal Healthsociaism under......

Nixon.

Know why not, (D)Ummies?  St. Theodore of the Amphibious Oldsmobile didn't want a Republican getting credit for it.  Especially not Nixon, as he was the one who went after Hiss and the rest of the Swimmers buddies and that would completely undermine the budding (D)Marxist Partys' plan to overthrow the country.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »
Response to pnwmom (Original post)
Sun Mar 23, 2014, 11:27 AM

Star Member Scuba (36,519 posts)

2. When did the Constitution change from majority rule to super-majority rule? I missed that.

You assume quite a bit, idiot.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 07:01:55 PM »
The dummies want single payer because they think it will be tied to income levels and thus they will not have pay anything. The dummies are stupid. Look at single payer in Europe. Look at the high taxes like the VAT, fuel tax, etc. These taxes hit the poor hardest. Like I said dummies are stupid. Ain't enough rich folks to pay for it so it will fall on the masses. Then the federal government will impose limits because there is no free lunch. Then the dummies will be right back to square one complaining that it is all so unfair.

My option would be to have a hospital system like VA for all the medicaid folks. Since you dummies are too incompetent to take care of yourselves and want the government to do it, fine. Go to a government hospital. Get government treatment. Die a government slave. No skin off my back.

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
The dummies want single payer because they think it will be tied to income levels and thus they will not have pay anything. The dummies are stupid. Look at single payer in Europe. Look at the high taxes like the VAT, fuel tax, etc. These taxes hit the poor hardest.

They are completely incapable of understanding that.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 07:15:48 PM »
My option would be to have a hospital system like VA for all the medicaid folks.
They're swamped enough already, Perky.
I'd rather they not jam the VA up any further.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 07:35:04 PM »
They're swamped enough already, Perky.
I'd rather they not jam the VA up any further.

I wasn't talking about sending them to VA, Skul. I was talking about having medicaid hospitals like VA. You on medicaid? You don't get to choose your MD or hospital.

Just so you know, I am NOT a fan of VA. The one in Huntington WV tried multiple times to kill dad thru incompentence. The last time before he finally died two years ago was sending him high blood meds, lisinopril I think it was, and instead of 20mg, they sent him 200mg. He passed out, face first right in his plate at Christmas dinner. The EMT looked at the med bottles and said WTF? Showed it to me.

That was just one experience with VA so I ain't a fan.   :cheersmate:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »
Ok hump boy, what kind? 

(I just had pumpkin with a slice of cheddar and cup of coffee.)

That works!   :drool:
I also like apple, cherry, peach, shoo fly, and cheesecake.   :drool:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
I wasn't talking about sending them to VA, Skul. I was talking about having medicaid hospitals like VA. You on medicaid? You don't get to choose your MD or hospital.

Just so you know, I am NOT a fan of VA. The one in Huntington WV tried multiple times to kill dad thru incompentence. The last time before he finally died two years ago was sending him high blood meds, lisinopril I think it was, and instead of 20mg, they sent him 200mg. He passed out, face first right in his plate at Christmas dinner. The EMT looked at the med bottles and said WTF? Showed it to me.

That was just one experience with VA so I ain't a fan.   :cheersmate:

I know what you mean, perky.

My dad went to the one in Salem, VA, to get his diabetic meds.  Just getting prescription filled for needles, alcohol pads, Humalin, took 3 hours!

We actually went out to lunch, went Christmas shopping (it was in November), came back AND STILL had to wait 30 more minutes!

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 07:52:31 PM »
The dummies want single payer because they think it will be tied to income levels and thus they will not have pay anything. The dummies are stupid. Look at single payer in Europe. Look at the high taxes like the VAT, fuel tax, etc. These taxes hit the poor hardest. Like I said dummies are stupid. Ain't enough rich folks to pay for it so it will fall on the masses. Then the federal government will impose limits because there is no free lunch. Then the dummies will be right back to square one complaining that it is all so unfair.

My option would be to have a hospital system like VA for all the medicaid folks. Since you dummies are too incompetent to take care of yourselves and want the government to do it, fine. Go to a government hospital. Get government treatment. Die a government slave. No skin off my back.

Yes -- and these taxes are the most regressive of all.  When I lived in California it actually took a lot of sting out of gas prices to know they hurt the precious poor the hardest (as do sin-taxes on alcohol, tobacco and the like).  Not that I dislike the poor (I grew up that way), but it is a great way to poke holes in the libtards' assertion they are "helping the poor."

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 07:53:17 PM »
That works!   :drool:
I also like apple, cherry, peach, shoo fly, and cheesecake.   :drool:

Not moose turd?

;)

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »
You lunatics had to lie to get through the nightmare that you did yet you think something even more commie was longed for?

God they are stupid.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 07:57:07 PM »
That works!   :drool:
I also like apple, cherry, peach, shoo fly, and cheesecake.   :drool:

I been working on being good so m/zeit made me the pumpkin pie without a crust (that picture is suppose to be a DUtch peach btw but looks like a cobbler with ice cream). Mmmm ... ice cream.  

Now so as not to hijack this thread, I will point out that I actually downloaded that entire thread before I posted it because I want a copy for posterity.  It actually is a fair history of the shenanigans that went on.  Of course DUmmies don't see it for what it is, they can miss interpret almost everything.  I wondered as I went through it if it were not one of the cleverest mole jobs I had ever seen outlining the illegitimate birth and implementation of Obamacare at Skinner's expense.  

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »
I know what you mean, perky.

My dad went to the one in Salem, VA, to get his diabetic meds.  Just getting prescription filled for needles, alcohol pads, Humalin, took 3 hours!

We actually went out to lunch, went Christmas shopping (it was in November), came back AND STILL had to wait 30 more minutes!

Hell DD. They sent mom insulin and needles for almost a year and a half after after he died. I called them repeatedly, sent them a copy of the death cert multiple times. Still, like clockwork, they would show up. Mom would take them up to nursing homes and hospice. Funny thing was, after it was all probated and stuff, they STILL sent it. Then bitched cause they wasn't getting paid.

Screw VA. Dad has been dead 3 years come next month and mom is still getting bills from VA and the dialysis place he went to.

Boggles the mind.

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »
Yes -- and these taxes are the most regressive of all.  When I lived in California it actually took a lot of sting out of gas prices to know they hurt the precious poor the hardest (as do sin-taxes on alcohol, tobacco and the like).  Not that I dislike the poor (I grew up that way), but it is a great way to poke holes in the libtards' assertion they are "helping the poor."

It would actually be funny if it wasn't my damn money they was taking, FreeDumb.

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »
It would actually be funny if it wasn't my damn money they was taking, FreeDumb.
Takes the sting out<>funny

My damn money too.  I guess when you are in shit up to your chin it is "rewarding" to see the bigmouths eat shit.

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 03:32:52 AM »
Not moose turd?

;)

I don't get out west too often, sorry.   :(

Offline jukin

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »
The House passed the Senate bill with a 219–212 vote on March 21, 2010, with 34 Democrats and all 178 Republicans voting against it.

Yet the democrat propagandists in the MSM said there was no bipartisanship under the great Obama.  There was lots just all against the fascist's legislation.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 07:19:03 PM »
One word DUmbass. Republic.

Well, if you ask Harry Reid, it's once again a simple majority...but karma's a bitch who's even uglier than CalPig.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:56 AM »

And almost as if on cue, there's this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/13/what-liberals-get-wrong-about-single-payer/

Don't let the title fool you.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/13/what-liberals-get-wrong-about-single-payer/

Very interesting article.  I was in O`Canada last summer.  M/zeit was chatting up the guy on the next campsite who told her he had private insurance from his company which made the whole Canadian process a bit more tolerable.  Reading your article reminded me of that. 

Excerpted from: >http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Topics/International-Health-Policy/Countries/~/media/Files/Topics/Country%20Profiles/New%20Folder/Canada_profile_2012.pdf

Privately funded health care: In 2010, out-of-pocket payments by private households represented about 14.3 percent of
total health spending (OECD 2012). The main components of out-of-pocket spending in 2010 were dental care
(20%), nonhospital institutions (mainly long-term care homes) (20%), prescription drugs (17%), vision care (12%),
and over-the-counter medications (10%) (CIHI 2012). Private health insurance covers about two-thirds of the population
(23 million people). In 2010 it accounted for approximately 12 percent of total health spending (CIHI 2012).
Private insurance is obtained mainly through employment-based group plans, which cover services such as vision and
dental care, prescription drugs, rehabilitation services, home care, and private rooms in hospital. Supplementary private
insurance to provide faster access to publicly funded physician and hospital services is not available. Providers set their
own fees for services covered by private insurance, and each insurer sets its own reimbursement level (e.g., based on the
lowest fee among representative providers in a geographical area). Contributions to employer-sponsored private insurance
are deductible from income for federal tax purposes, and are also deductible from income for provincial tax purposes
in all provinces but Quebec. Premiums paid to any private insurance plan qualify as expenses eligible for the federal
Medical Expense Tax Credit.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »

Ezra Klien is a noted liberal and obumbles ass kisser. He could quite possibly be correct about some of what he talked about, and to me that is the problem. The US is largely funding the drug companies R&D and the rest of the world is reaping the benefits. Personally I think these drug companies ought to tell the rest of world... no payee, no life saving drugs. That, in my opinion, is the problem.  

Edit for typo.   :thatsright:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:07:05 PM by I_B_Perky »

Montani Semper Liberi