Author Topic: primitive full of beans gets ripped off  (Read 1521 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive full of beans gets ripped off
« on: August 11, 2013, 07:21:06 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/115729719

Oh my.

TreasonousBastard (21,309 posts)    Sun Aug 11, 2013, 07:57 PM

Nuwave...

I have three (don't ask) induction teakettles that boil water about twice as fast as the stovetop one, so was looking for an induction countertop cooker.

Most of them in the stores were around a hundred bucks, if you could find one, and online wasn't much better.

So, I'm watching the Nuwave commercial in the wee hours and they have a BOGO deal-- order one at a hundred bucks, and get another one free. Lots of pots, pans and things in the package, too.

So I ordered.

Stuff showed up in a few days, and the invoice was in the box-- a hundred bucks, but another hundred bucks for SHIPPING on the free one!

And no "free" extra cookware-- just the extra unit and cookware for one unit. Just as well with shipping what it is.

Then I get an email conforming my order, and the three magazine subscriptions I apparently ordered.

The thing does work quite well, so far, and returning it seems to be a costly hassle, with hardly much hope of getting my hundred bucks shipping back, and possibly even getting hit for more, plus restocking fees, plus whatever else they think they can get out of me.

I see in some complaint sites that the units aren't all that great-- don't heat hot enough, break... Mine are OK so far, but seems like there are quality control problems.

Anyway, caveat emptor with these guys. They'll never get another nickel from me, and hopefully precious little from anyone I talk to.

I'm still big on the induction concept, though, and it's really a godsend in hot weather. Just need better suppliers

New campfire, just lit in the cooking and baking forum.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline I_B_Perky

Re: primitive full of beans gets ripped off
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:15:26 PM »
TreasonousBastard (21,309 posts)    Sun Aug 11, 2013, 07:57 PM

Nuwave...

I have three (don't ask) induction teakettles that boil water about twice as fast as the stovetop one, so was looking for an induction countertop cooker.

Most of them in the stores were around a hundred bucks, if you could find one, and online wasn't much better.

So, I'm watching the Nuwave commercial in the wee hours and they have a BOGO deal-- order one at a hundred bucks, and get another one free. Lots of pots, pans and things in the package, too.

So I ordered.

Stuff showed up in a few days, and the invoice was in the box-- a hundred bucks, but another hundred bucks for SHIPPING on the free one!

And no "free" extra cookware-- just the extra unit and cookware for one unit. Just as well with shipping what it is.

Then I get an email conforming my order, and the three magazine subscriptions I apparently ordered.

The thing does work quite well, so far, and returning it seems to be a costly hassle, with hardly much hope of getting my hundred bucks shipping back, and possibly even getting hit for more, plus restocking fees, plus whatever else they think they can get out of me.

I see in some complaint sites that the units aren't all that great-- don't heat hot enough, break... Mine are OK so far, but seems like there are quality control problems.

Anyway, caveat emptor with these guys. They'll never get another nickel from me, and hopefully precious little from anyone I talk to.

PT Barnum comes to mind when dealing with the dummies. And they say we are the brainwashed bunch.   :mental: :mental:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 09:18:11 PM »
Ah, the old "shipping and handling" charge.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:47:56 PM »
Now that they have it's credit card number I see more fabulous products in it's future.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:05:12 AM »
Now that they have it's credit card number I see more fabulous products in it's future.

Yep, shipped "free" once every month!   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 05:33:24 AM »
Well, I must've killed that thread by bringing it over too soon; only one primitive response, from Ugly.

The primitives posted plenty in other threads in the cooking and baking forum, but they avoided this one.

Ooooops.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:50:41 AM »
When I see something advertised on TV I google it for reviews.  I just don't order it all willynilly.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 07:25:34 AM »
I know!  And how about asking some questions first!  Online reviews are so easy to find, everybody loves spouting off their opinions. 

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 07:56:54 AM »
I know!  And how about asking some questions first!  Online reviews are so easy to find, everybody loves spouting off their opinions. 

I watched an ad for an Oreck floor steamer.  The ad featured a petite female steaming floors carpets, the glass doors to the showers, toilets, sinks, steaming the wrinkles out of clothing, AND outside cleaning the engine in her car.     Shipping and handling free.

I checked the reviews and all were excellent.   So I called them, gave them the promotion code as seen on TV, my credit card no. and waited only 5 days and a big man driving a UPS truck comes to my door.

It was obvious the container was heavy but was to be expected as it held the unit and all the attachments.    I got it in the door and had to lay it down to open the big box and removed all the attachments first then the unit. The unite alone must have weighed a good 15 pounds and I wondered what the weight would be when filled with a gallon of water.

In the demonstration the woman was waving the thing over her head like it weighed only 3 pounds.

Yes this is a great product for floors and carpets but for lifting it, as seen on TV, it takes a strong man to heft the unit even half full to clean over waist high much less over the head.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:00:16 AM »
The infallible keys to spotting a ripoff:

"Not sold in any store"
"As seen on TV"
"But wait,"
"Operators are standing by"
"Just pay separate postage and handling"
Ron Popeil
Fred Thompson
Franklin Mint
Robert Wagner (dude drowned his wife)
Gold peddled by anyone
ANYTHING sold through an 800 number on your TV screen

There are countless others, but DUmmies will never catch on.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »

"Not sold in any store"
"As seen on TV"
"But wait,"
Ron Popeil
Fred Thompson
Franklin Mint
Robert Wagner (dude drowned his wife)
Gold peddled by anyone

You forgot "And if you order within the next hour you will get not one but TWO!"   :yahoo:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »

"Not sold in any store"
"As seen on TV"
"But wait,"
Ron Popeil
Fred Thompson
Franklin Mint
Robert Wagner (dude drowned his wife)Gold peddled by anyone

Reminds me of an old joke from my youth.  "What kind of wood doesn't float."

Offline hillneck

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
A fool and his money are easily separated.
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline Karin

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
Yeah, but what about that hose-in-a-pocket thingy?  Those seem to be popular and effective. 

The kitchen gadgets are the dumbest.  One of the stupidest is that thing to make taco salad bowls with.  How often do you need to make taco salad bowls, and how much space does the gadget take up?  Goofy.  Another one was some sort of needle you slide into an egg in order to scramble it inside the shell.  Use a bowl and whisk for God's sake. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »
Yeah, but what about that hose-in-a-pocket thingy?  Those seem to be popular and effective. 

The kitchen gadgets are the dumbest.  One of the stupidest is that thing to make taco salad bowls with.  How often do you need to make taco salad bowls, and how much space does the gadget take up?  Goofy.  Another one was some sort of needle you slide into an egg in order to scramble it inside the shell.  Use a bowl and whisk for God's sake. 

The pocket hose works but has one major flaw.  If it's left connected and under pressure for any length of time it will spring leaks everywhere.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »

The pocket snake and those kitchen items fall into the "not sold in any store" category.

Once in a while one of those things will migrate into the retail-store-ripoff cagegory, like Snuggies and ShamWow.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 06:07:26 AM »
The pocket snake and those kitchen items fall into the "not sold in any store" category.

Once in a while one of those things will migrate into the retail-store-ripoff cagegory, like Snuggies and ShamWow.

Walmart has an area as does Wallgreens to sell these as seen on TV stuff.    First place I go to when in either store just to Look, you know how it is and the rip off comes here.  When one orders by phone all kinds of extras come with it, when buying in the store, just the basic item even when the container says extras included.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »

Pocket snake?  :popcorn:

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 04:04:43 PM »

They have the pocket snake/hose at Walmart and Bed Bath & Beyond.  I have two of them, but I got them at Bed Bath and Beyond, I would NEVER order something from a TV ad.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
Pocket snake? 
I thought no one would notice that.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
They have the pocket snake/hose at Walmart and Bed Bath & Beyond.  I have two of them, but I got them at Bed Bath and Beyond, I would NEVER order something from a TV ad.

You sir are an anomaly.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »

You sir are an anomaly.

He got them from Johnson and Johnson. :rimshot:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
Walgreens has an 'As Seen On TV' section in their store.  They sell a few oddball infomercial items... you could probably find a Pocket Hose there next to the Ronco Rotisserie Oven.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Walgreens has an 'As Seen On TV' section in their store.  They sell a few oddball infomercial items... you could probably find a Pocket Hose there next to the Ronco Rotisserie Oven.

Get with the program Chris.  Gina wants us to use the term "pocket snake" for some reason.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »
He got them from Johnson and Johnson. :rimshot:
Good for one.  :cheersmate:
 :lmao:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”