Author Topic: Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act provision  (Read 8143 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
The Supreme Court has struck down a federal provision denying benefits to legally married gay couples.

The 5-4 decision found the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/26/supreme-court-strikes-down-defense-marriage-act-provision/

:thatsright: :censored: :banghead:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline CG6468

Re: Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act provision
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:41:52 AM »
Well, I guess I'm one of the
"enemies of the human race."
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:42:41 AM »
This doesn't surprise me at all. Kennedy has often sided with the gay rights movement. In some ways this is good in that it puts the right to marry in the hands of the states but it also opens up a can of worms when those rights come into conflict. It's going to get messy but the pro homosexual crowd wouldn't have it any other way.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:04:25 AM by FlaGator »
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »
Yep, FlaGator.  The divorce industry will make a killing.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline hillneck

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
This whole pandering to what 1 or 2% of the population and in the meanwhile destroying what's left of the moral fiber that made this country so great is disgusting.   :banghead:
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
No big surprise here.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »
I do not support gay marriage, but it should be a state issue. Last time I checked, marriage is not a right. I have no problems if gays want to have civil unions. I consider gay marriage a very low priority issue for me.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »
Put this week's decision together, and you have a pretty strong federalism streak measured out by SCOTUS.

The decision should belong to the states.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 09:55:20 AM »
And with that decision, two pillars of the Clenis' presidential legacy are gone- leaving him with nothing but impeachment.

Hillary '16... the Twofer!
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Dori

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »
So what's next?  Bigamy?
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 10:02:10 AM »
From twitter, and I kinda agree:

EEÉ (D) ‏@EEElverhoy 2m
Love that lately SCOTUS has basically told US citizens, "Elect better people. Stop crying to us on everything.
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »
So what's next?  Bigamy?

If your state legalizes bigamy, then yeah.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »
So what's next?  Bigamy?

Bigamy and on it's heels with be pedophilia, incest and bestiality (in no particular order).
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
Also--other good news. The SCOTUS couldn't find five votes saying that gay marriage is a constitutionally protected right.

At least not yet...
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »
From twitter, and I kinda agree:

EEÉ (D) ‏@EEElverhoy 2m
Love that lately SCOTUS has basically told US citizens, "Elect better people. Stop crying to us on everything.

That is why we have so many incumbents running for decades.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
Also--other good news. The SCOTUS couldn't find five votes saying that gay marriage is a constitutionally protected right.

At least not yet...

Just wait a couple of years.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
So what's next?  Bigamy?

The Polygimists and the Pedophiles will file their legal briefs next.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
Just wait a couple of years.

True, but TODAY, there are not 5 votes, or else that's exactly what would've happened.
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
The legal redefinition of marriage means the loss of freedom to express and to act according to beliefs at odds with the gay agenda; more ominously, it will grant to the state an enormous and unprecedented power for remaking society according to its own designs. Marriage properly understood is an essential prerequisite for stable, healthy families. Societies throughout history and across the world have learned this from experience, and modern sociological research, despite the barrage of propaganda to the contrary, bears it out.

While marriage opponents will no doubt point to individual A or person B as an exception, we know that, on average, children raised in traditional monogamous marriages with both father and mother do better in school, are less likely to be criminals or drug-addicted, have fewer mental and emotional problems, are less likely to commit suicide, and on and on. families are, along with organized religion, the most important "mediating institutions" between the individual and the state. Mediating institutions are groups of people large and small that help serve as a check on the government, and provide individuals with a way of influencing the state much more effectively than they can do on their own.

These independent sources of authority are essential to the preservation of liberty: without them the behemoth of the state would easily crush the lone citizen. That's why totalitarians of every stripe make the subjugation or even destruction of these institutions (especially the family and organized religion) a top priority. Giving the state the power to manipulate, redefine and hence to unmake such essential protectors of freedom must necessarily lead to an ever more powerful state, and an ever smaller place for individual liberty.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 10:42:46 AM »
So what's next?  Bigamy?

Why not?  The essence of this ruling is that the States must recognize any marriage, and did so with a ghey marriage that was executed in Canada.  The very next step will be for a Yemeni man to say, "see this? You have to recognize this marriage between this woman and that other woman; what is the difference between that marriage, and mine between me and my four wives".
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »
The Polygimists and the Pedophiles will file their legal briefs next.
The people behind the FreeKate movement will assume their time will come very soon after this ruling.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »
I read both decisions.

The DOMA decision is a victory for federalism. Issuing marriage licenses is a state power. Based on that principle, the role the Federal government has given itself is to provide Federal benefits based on whether applicants for benefits are married in their state of residence. Extending this principle to its logical conclusion, the "right thing to do" from a 14th Amendment perspective would be:

1. Grant Federal benefits to any applicant who produces a marriage license recognized by the state of his/her residence*, or
2. Eliminate all Federal benefits based on marital status.

Given the entitlement attitude of the majority of Americans, and the eagerness of King Hussein's administration to pander to that attitude, I expect the Federal government will continue to open the feedbag to all who want to eat from it.

The Prop 8 decision was a punt, but a reasonable one. It is a recognized principle of civil law that a party must have suffered measurable damages (actual or potential) to bring a lawsuit, and the appellants were unable to show damages (and therefore, standing). When the State of California refused to defend its own constitution, the outcome was preordained.

*Edited to clarify: "marriage license recognized by the state of his/her residence"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:46:45 AM by Big Dog »
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Dori

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 10:44:31 AM »
The legal redefinition of marriage means the loss of freedom to express and to act according to beliefs at odds with the gay agenda; more ominously, it will grant to the state an enormous and unprecedented power for remaking society according to its own designs. Marriage properly understood is an essential prerequisite for stable, healthy families. Societies throughout history and across the world have learned this from experience, and modern sociological research, despite the barrage of propaganda to the contrary, bears it out.

While marriage opponents will no doubt point to individual A or person B as an exception, we know that, on average, children raised in traditional monogamous marriages with both father and mother do better in school, are less likely to be criminals or drug-addicted, have fewer mental and emotional problems, are less likely to commit suicide, and on and on. families are, along with organized religion, the most important "mediating institutions" between the individual and the state. Mediating institutions are groups of people large and small that help serve as a check on the government, and provide individuals with a way of influencing the state much more effectively than they can do on their own.

These independent sources of authority are essential to the preservation of liberty: without them the behemoth of the state would easily crush the lone citizen. That's why totalitarians of every stripe make the subjugation or even destruction of these institutions (especially the family and organized religion) a top priority. Giving the state the power to manipulate, redefine and hence to unmake such essential protectors of freedom must necessarily lead to an ever more powerful state, and an ever smaller place for individual liberty.

Californians voted not once, but twice, on ballot measures defining marriage as between a man and a woman, and both times the courts struck it down.  What good does it do to vote if the courts can overturn the decisions?

Now the liberal lawyers will start filing suits where states have upheld that marriage is between a man and woman.  Also, here come the lawsuits forcing churches to marry same sex couples.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
So much for all that "Rule of law" stuff.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.