Author Topic: San Diego County Workers may be excused from performing same-sex weddings  (Read 3404 times)

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
You just know this isn't going to sit well with DUmmies, who believe one's beliefs should be taken into account only if they're the right beliefs.

pink-o (1000+ posts)      Fri May-23-08 01:40 PM
Original message
San Diego County Workers may be excused from performing same-sex weddings
 Advertisements [?]This makes me sick! Coddling the fundies, allowing them to act unprofessionally because something might offend their delicate sensibilites.

It's like the pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control on the morning-after pill because it goes against their beliefs. Too ****ing bad--do your ****ing job or find another one that doesn't compromise you.

Example: I am a vegetarian, been one for over 30 years. At my job for the airlines, I check in moose and deer hunters, who have big guns that blow away God's creatures. I can guarantee if I refused to help those hunters, I would be fired before I could blink. And so I should be--most adults understand how to put away their personal sensibilites to act in a professional manner.

Most adults except fundie Xians, it seems!

Article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sdgay22-2008may...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3331756

First of all, there's nothing "unprofessional" about opting out of some activity which you have strong moral feelings against. I'll bet if it was a prison guard not wanting to participate in an execution you'd be falling all over yourselves over him or her taking a "principled stand".

Secondly, you don't get to say who should be "doing their ****ing job or finding another one that doesn't compromise them". If they did abortions in the hospital in which I work, then I should either be willing to participate in them or find another line of work? **** you. You don't deliver to me or anyone else any either/or ultimatum. Sanctimonious prick.

movonne  (1000+ posts)       Fri May-23-08 01:50 PM
Response to Original message
1. Then they shouldn't have their jobs...if part of their duty is to marry
 couples and they don't then they should find another job...

"Part of their duty" is to carry out whatever policy their department sets forth. If they create a policy that allows employees some leeway in accepting tasks then who the hell are you to say what their "duty" is?

Vickers  (1000+ posts)      Fri May-23-08 07:59 PM
Response to Original message
4. If by "excused" they mean "get their asses fired" then I'm all for it.
 But I bet I'm misinterpreting this.

Yeah, "get their asses fired" simply because they have a conscience. Nice.

pink-o (1000+ posts)      Sat May-24-08 09:29 PM
Response to Reply #4
5. It would be awesome if you were right n/t

Yeah, wouldn't that just be totally awesome? I mean really rad, dude! Fire them because they don't believe the same things I do. Totally tubular! That'll teach 'em to not think right.

Anyone who belives this shit stops at their individual "rights" is naive. That ain't enough. You also have to believe in the righteousness of their cause. You have to love teh gheyness. Show any sign that you don't and your ass needs to be fired, or censored, or jailed, or ostracized from society, tolerant folks that they are.

I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Friggen hypocrites.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
****ing fascists.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
EX****INACTLY! That's the damn REASON I'm so damned opposed to gay marriage, but for civil unions. These bastards would force churches, who don't BELIEVE in gay marriage, to marry gays or get fined or forced to close.

This is also the reason why the shit in CA pissed me off. These ****ers are alienating the people that their little joint ventures. California already HAD civil unions as law Damnit.  :censored:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
C'mon guys. They're just upset that they can't refuse a fundy when he orders a Big Mac and fries.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 09:26:08 AM by FlaGator »
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
Did some photography shop just get the pants sued off them (and they lost and had to pay a fine too) for not photographing a homosexual union ceremony? yep i believe so, so this action will bring on the litiagation!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Did some photography shop just get the pants sued off them (and they lost and had to pay a fine too) for not photographing a homosexual union ceremony? yep i believe so, so this action will bring on the litiagation!

It happened in New Mexico  :censored:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.—A professional photographer who refused to take pictures of a gay couple's commitment ceremony because of her religious beliefs violated New Mexico discrimination law, a human rights panel ruled.

Vanessa Willock filed a complaint with the New Mexico Human Rights Commission in 2006, contending that Albuquerque photographer Elaine Huguenin told her she photographed only traditional marriages. Huguenin and her husband, Jon, own Elane Photography.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_8893673
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

In the case of San Diego County workers, I would say "society" (four judges) changed their work environment in the middle of the workers' employment.  I can understand why some freedom to exclude oneself from participating in the new and controversial environment has been considered. 

Why is it that the people who oppose legally sanctioned sodomy must always be the ones forced to accept the new situation without challenge?  Why can't the sodomites say, "Hey, the court ruled in our favor - we won - but we will respect and understand those who do not want to be a part of it"?     

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Whats the matter DUmmy, Don't like it when "conscientious objector" can be used against one of your pet causes ?

Offline jukin

Bet the DUchebags would be all in favor of muslims not touching pork or banning dogs/alcohol/homos in their cabs.

Only the Christian faith may be torn down and besmirched.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Ahh yes the good old Libtard double standard when it comes to what is ok to abstain form and what is not ok to abstain from.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Whats the matter DUmmy, Don't like it when "conscientious objector" can be used against one of your pet causes ?

Excellent point.  :cheersmate:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
I'd just be tempted to opt out on people randomly...just deny every 3rd couple because I wanted to.  :lmao: But I'm just goofy like that.

But yeah, forcing people to do something that goes against their principles. . .the DU don't quite get the first amendment, do they?

*Red*

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
I'd just be tempted to opt out on people randomly...just deny every 3rd couple because I wanted to.  :lmao: But I'm just goofy like that.

But yeah, forcing people to do something that goes against their principles. . .the DU don't quite get the first amendment, do they?

*Red*

Freedom of association use to include freedom from association. Things sure have changed.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline West Coaster

• Probationary (Probie)
One of the difficulties of opting out of paid duties due to religious and/or moral grounds is the range of religious practices and taboos.  For example should:

- Muslim cab drivers be able to refuse to carry passengers who are accompanied by seeing eye dogs
- Hindu grocery clerks not handle beef
- Orthodox Jewish retail salespeople not work on Saturdays

The problem becomes more complex when you look at the school system.  While we have Christmas off, should we also have the Jewish celebration (Yom Kippor?).  Should we also allow celebration of the Hindu Diwali, the Muslim Ramadon (spelling?), etc.

I'd be almost inclined to simply say this nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles and simply recognize those relegious holidays and accept reasons derived from those religions as valid legal grounds to refuse to perform certain activities!
When we were at peace, Democrats wanted to raise taxes. Now there's a war, so Democrats want to raise taxes. When there was a surplus, Democrats wanted to raise taxes. Now that there is a mild recession, Democrats want to raise taxes.
-Ann Coulter

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
^my child's elementary school closed the library during Ramadan to "provide a place for prayer, meditation and reflection" during lunch and other daily activities. They also provided prayer mats. No such accomodations have ever been made for Christians or any other religion that I can think of. Also, a lot of parents complained and now it's done unofficially. They allow them access to a room off of the library but they do not close the library. I'm fine with that.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
^my child's elementary school closed the library during Ramadan to "provide a place for prayer, meditation and reflection" during lunch and other daily activities. They also provided prayer mats. No such accomodations have ever been made for Christians or any other religion that I can think of. Also, a lot of parents complained and now it's done unofficially. They allow them access to a room off of the library but they do not close the library. I'm fine with that.

how many muslim kids go to school at your kid's school, dixie?  not that it matters, I'm just curious.

Offline Lord Undies

One of the difficulties of opting out of paid duties due to religious and/or moral grounds is the range of religious practices and taboos.  For example should:

- Muslim cab drivers be able to refuse to carry passengers who are accompanied by seeing eye dogs

Is allowing dogs-in-service into cabs a new policy or did the mooselimb go into cab driving knowing that sometimes people who need service dogs ride in cabs?

- Hindu grocery clerks not handle beef

Is selling beef products new in the store or did they sell beef before the Hindu filled out the job application?

- Orthodox Jewish retail salespeople not work on Saturdays

Does the store have a long history of being closed on Saturdays and have now decided to be opened? 

We must consider these things. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
^no, it's a great question WE. I was curious myself so I looked it up. This is just for our school, not district-wide -

African American: 10.8%
American Indian: .3%
Asian American: 17.4%
Hispanic: 16%
Multiracial: 4.9%
White: 50.2%

I don't know how old this is because it most certainly doesn't reflect the student body I observe on a daily basis. I'm at the school everyday and volunteer weekly. I have to give them credit, they have tried to balance the racial makeup of each class. There are 21 kids in my child's class broken down like this: 4 white, 6 black, 5 asian (Muslim included) 6 Hispanic.

Also, there are signs throughout the school in these languages: Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Spanish, Urdu, Vietnamese

It's a lot more diverse than those stats. I have to give the kids credit, they don't see race. They see kids. I see a bigger burden on the school system from the non-English speaking population. Our PTA runs a programs for Adult literacy and ESOL for the parents. There is a lot of money being spent to intergrate these folks. I often want to ask their immigration status.  :censored:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 05:55:13 PM by DixieBelle »

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

^no, it's a great question. I was curious myself so I looked it up. This is just for our school, not district-wide -

African American: 10.8%
American Indian: .3%
Asian American: 17.4%
Hispanic: 16%
Multiracial: 4.9%
White: 50.2%

I don't know how old this is because it most certainly doesn't reflect the student body I observe on a daily basis. I'm at the school everyday and volunteer weekly. I have to give them credit, they have tried to balance the racial makeup of each class. There are 21 kids in my child's class broken down like this: 4 white, 6 black, 5 asian (Muslim included) 6 Hispanic.

Also, there are signs throughout the school in these languages: Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Spanish, Urdu, Vietnamese

It's a lot more diverse than those stats. I have to give the kids credit, they don't see race. They see kids. I see a bigger burden on the school system from the non-English speaking population. Our PTA runs a programs for Adult literacy and ESOL for the parents. There is a lot of money being spent to intergrate these folks. I often want to ask their immigration status.  :censored:

wow.  that sounds really, really involved.   and they must be hiding the white kids in the gym or something. :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Well my son does say he loves gym class the most! And the stats say they are from 07-08. I think they ARE hiding kids in the gym!

Offline Lord Undies

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Well my son does say he loves gym class the most! And the stats say they are from 07-08. I think they ARE hiding kids in the gym!

Given your stats, there's a class or two somewhere in the building which is all white kids.   :-*

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
I'd be happy to find the one that doesn't require an ESOL teacher. Oooh, did I say that outloud? I don't have a problem with ESOL students. I do have a problem with mainstreaming them and causing the teacher to slash her lessons in about half. My son has had little homework this year and he tells me she spends a lot of time clarifying the lessons for the ones who don't understand a word of English.

Offline Wretched Excess

I'd be happy to find the one that doesn't require an ESOL teacher. Oooh, did I say that outloud? I don't have a problem with ESOL students. I do have a problem with mainstreaming them and causing the teacher to slash her lessons in about half. My son has had little homework this year and he tells me she spends a lot of time clarifying the lessons for the ones who don't understand a word of English.

they mainstream the ESOL kids?  that seems insane.  it totally blows away the benefit of (what i thought was) such a nice small class size.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
^yes. There is an ESOL teacher who sits in the classroom all day. It's her job to stand over the ESOL kids and translate the main teacher's lesson plan. It's annoying as heck. Can you imagine 21 fidgety fourth graders having to pause for the ESOL teacher to explain to her little students? No wonder the teacher only makes them do all of the odd numbered questions instead of every single one. She's too tired/busy to grade things! I swear, I'm going to go private next year if I can!