Author Topic: How many of you DUmmies have wasted gas by driving too fast  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
How many of you DUmmies have wasted gas by driving too fast
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/101860752

Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:59 AM

Bake (18,586 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

View profile

What's the fastest you have ever driven?
I once did 155 mph in my '97 Supra (or as my son refers to it, "she whose name shall not be spoken"). I got rid of it when my son turned 16 and learned to drive in it, for obvious reasons. But I still miss that one. At 155, she wasn't even breathing heavy, steady and smooth as silk, plenty of headroom left ... she wanted to RUN!

It was on a stretch of I-75 between Louisville and Cincinnati that was nice and straight, no place for Smokie to hide ...

Bake

Well over 50 replies and not one DUmmy has pointed out that I-75 doesn't run between Louisville and Cincinnati.

Star Member HopeHoops
2. I did well over a buck 20 in my 68 Galaxie fastback (still have her) - pegged out at 120.

View profile

Last edited Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:12 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
I don't know how fast I was going, but my guess is a buck 40. There was still pedal room before the metal. I blew by a cop on the side of the road and figured at that speed I would hit my exit 2 miles away in 30 seconds. I never saw any lights. The owners manual says not to go more than 70mph in 1st gear, but I've crossed that line a few times. My 70 Maverick hit just over 117 before I got nervous and backed off. I had this sudden imagery of it pulling a Blues Mobile at that speed and me scooting down the highway on my ass with a steering wheel in my hands. Then there was the Walrus (72 Centurian 455 4bbl) that pretty much idled at 100 or so.

I don't drive that fast anymore.

On Edit: My last high-speed adventure was in my 00 Pontiac Montana minivan. No problem holding down 95 and I probably could have gotten it up higher but there was a regular speed trap up ahead.

LOL. A minivan doing 95 mph. I know that's bullshit as it takes a minivan 4 miles to get above 50.......going downhill.

Star Member pokerfan
10. ~138 mph

View profile
in a friend's Dodge Challenger. 138 mph based on the tach reading as the speedo was buried at that point.

Star Member TuxedoKat
16. Between

View profile
120-140 MPH. It was a Mercedes on some country roads in Nebraska. I don't think I would have driven that fast in any other kind of car but the Mercedes was so solid, smooth and quiet that it didn't feel like you were going that fast.

Frank's mole going for a pack of smokes.  :whistling: :tongue:

bikebloke
20. 74.5 km/hr on a bicycle.

View profile
Approaching Grassmere, New Zealand on a loaded touring bike down a long, long hill with a tailwind.

Star Member XemaSab
21. 110 in a Chrysler minivan

View profile
My boss and I were hauling some stuff down to the Salton Sea. We were out in the middle of the desert in Southern California. It was dark and he'd fallen asleep.

I was tooling along and I looked down and went "Oh shit!"

I didn't tell him about it, and the next day he was like "Thanks for driving last night. The old beast doesn't like to get much above 60 when she's loaded like this."

Keep them lies coming in order to feel part of the hive.

Star Member mrmpa
23. I don't remember what the make of the car was.....

View profile
but we drove 250 miles in 2 hours and 10 minutes. On I70 between Dayton & Pittsburgh. I wasn't driving, a friend was & there were 4 of us in the car.

It was dark, late and you were wearing sunglases.

Star Member pscot
31. I once did 65 in a 55 mile zone

View profile
Man, I had a deathgrip on the wheel.

Star Member Ikonoklast
45. Fastest lap I clocked at Charlotte was 147mph.

View profile
And that was on a TZ-250 Yamaha, a 250cc water-cooled two-stroke roadracing specific machine.

But is was still only 250cc.

**cough-bullshit-cough**

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: How many of you DUmmies have wasted gas by driving too fast
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »
Ahh... The old allergic to BS cough trick.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »
150-plus in a 97 Supra?  Nah, those tires wouldn't be in danger of shredding.

And hate to tell ya, while the Supra is capable of 155, that's the electronic limiter.

As for me, well, I-15 just north of Barstow.  2002 Mercedes C-Class.  That's all I'm gonna say.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »
Oh my.

I hope Pedro Picasso, the Atman primitive, sees that campfire, and comments at it.

Some years ago, he insisted race-car driving was not a sport or a skill, pointing out how fast he once barreled through Pennsylvania, obviously proud that he was violating the law, and putting lesser beings than him in peril by his recklessness.

Me?  I've done maybe 100 mph a few times, but one has to remember where I live.  Where I live, traffic is nil, nonexistent.  If I lived in a blue state or a blue city where the drivers are excessively rude and inconsiderate, I wouldn't dare pull anything like that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »
I borrowed a friends 2011 dodge caravan to haul some stuff back from Dad's house a while back. Now I am used to driving my lifted Jeep that has the aerodynamics of a brick. I have to admit this van had a smooth ride. So smooth that when I looked at the speedometer we were doing 85 and speeding up. I thought we were doing about 65. I can go that fast in my jeep but I feel every bit of it. :rotf:
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:45:55 AM »
135 in my '53 Ford F-100 on the Denver turnpike to Westminster, racing a Charger back a few years ago.

Been a little faster on the track as it would turn high 11's or low 12's in the 1/4. It had a 289 Shelby Cobra in it.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »
The fastest I I ever went that I knew was on a Honda Blackbird.  I hit 130 and glanced at the speedometer and the bike had a more than a gear left to go.  This was between Sierra Vista and Tombstone.  Then I very carefully turned around and drove the bike back to the dealership.

The motorcycle shop owner, who I had bought my kawasaki ninja from, asked why I was back so soon.  I commented that I thought the bike was going to kill me.

A friend says he had his Vette up to 145 with me inside, but I don't know that for sure.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »
About 160 on I-220 in Jackson at about 2AM in one of these, same color, but this is an '89 with the V-6 Turbo, most likely. Mine was an '88 with a 350 TPI.

I was young and stupid as hell.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »
I (in my young and stupid years) received a ticket for doing 157 on the Long Island Expressway in a Bricklin SV-1 (serial number 00003) owned by a friend of mine, being chased by a Corvette (that couldn't catch me).

Took two years for my lawyer to get that one plea-bargained down to 90 in a 70 zone......

My wife had that ticket framed, and it still hangs on my office wall, as a constant reminder of such folly.....

doc
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:27:22 PM by TVDOC »
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »
I've wrapped a few needles up against the pin in my days.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
The speedo on my car only goes to up 85 :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
The speedo on my car only goes to up 85 :(

My mother had a Dodge Aspen station wagon when I was in high school.  It had the 225 straight-6 under the hood.  One night, I was trying to hustle back from busting on a friend who was working a few miles away, and Route 9 took a dip by an old drive-in (which may still be there).  So, I was doing about 70 at the top of the hill, and I floored it.  All of a sudden, my buddy (the friend's brother) yells, "Holy shit--a state trooper!"  Long story short, they got me.  The speedometer only went to 85, but the needle was bouncing around and around at the time.  When it came time to put down the speed on the ticket, one of the two troopers said, "98--but you did slow down to 81, so we'll give you credit for that.  90."  It was the only 90 I got in high school that I didn't want.  I said, "That car can't go that fast!"  They replied, "but you were going downhill, and you probably had a tailwind."

My parents kicked my ass for that.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »
Chicago Motorcyclist Caught Speeding 127 MPH Over the Limit

Jones is the fastest speeding ticket ever recorded in the Chicago area and possibly in the State of Illinois. Jones received a citation for going 182 mph in 55 mph zone with "moderate" traffic. Heinzl was in dismay when he looked at the radar but even more surprised that Jones had stopped when he pulled him over.

When asked why he didn't run, Jones responded, "I wasn't in the mood to run. If I'd wanted to run, I'd have run."

Jones, who rides with the Chicago RedLiners motorcycle club, was fined $375 and ordered to purchase high-risk insurance.

Seems cheap.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
I wanted a Supra so bad in high school, instead I got a 200SX.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
I had a 67 Chrysler Newport back in high school, and once buried the speedometer at 140 with my dad in the car.  I did it with his permission.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
Fastest I've been in my current rig is circa 85mph (140km/hr).

Was in the middle of nowhere in north-western Queensland on a dirt road, and I'd let my attention wander because the road had only recently been graded and was in pristine condition.

I think what drew my attention to the fact I was going a little fast was the sight of the needle on the fuel gauge moving towards the empty line.

Big, square, heavily loaded pickups don't get great mileage at those speeds.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »
150 on my 1983 SECA 900...............more than once........... :hyper:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 05:09:20 PM »
I (in my young and stupid years) received a ticket for doing 157 on the Long Island Expressway in a Bricklin SV-1 (serial number 00003) owned by a friend of mine, being chased by a Corvette (that couldn't catch me).

Nice!  Do you know what ever happened to the Bricklin? 

Offline andhe78

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »
Fastest I've been in my current rig is circa 85mph (140km/hr).

I think what drew my attention to the fact I was going a little fast was the sight of the needle on the fuel gauge moving towards the empty line.

Big, square, heavily loaded pickups don't get great mileage at those speeds.

Lol, about the same thing here.  Had a 3/4 ton Chevy with a 454, opened it up on a stretch of 390 just south of Rochester.  Only time I've ever been able to watch the gas gauge needle move!

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
Quote from: Star Member HopeHoops
On Edit: My last high-speed adventure was in my 00 Pontiac Montana minivan. No problem holding down 95 and I probably could have gotten it up higher but there was a regular speed trap up ahead.

If this were Mythbusters, I would label this one as 'Confirmed' - I had a 2001 Montana, and when it was young and healthy I got it up to just under 90 before it started to shake. I could have hit 95, but I chose not to as I was running out of open road.

As for my current van (07 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT), 85 is easy. I haven't pushed it any harder because I like it too much.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 06:01:30 PM »
Ikonoklast
45. Fastest lap I clocked at Charlotte was 147mph.

View profile
And that was on a TZ-250 Yamaha, a 250cc water-cooled two-stroke roadracing specific machine.

But is was still only 250cc.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101860752

**cough-bullshit-cough**

This one is probably true.

The Yamaha TZ-250 and 350 twins, and 750 4-cylinder (actually 2 detuned 350's) were "production" 2-stroke road racing bikes sold by Yamaha back in the 1970's.  "King" Kenny Roberts won many races and championships on a factory version of the TZ-750.  

If I recall my specs right, the 250 was rated at 70 bhp, the 350 at 90 bhp, and the 750 at 140 bhp (although you could put 2 350 top ends on the 750 cases and have over 180 bhp).

Weighing in at barely 250 pounds, it would have been entirely possible for a TZ-250 to top 145.

I had a 1976 RD-400 street bike that would easily go over 120 with 2 people on it.

The fastest I've been is 130 in a 1984 Subaru XT.  It was 1986, and my brother and I were travelling from Wytheville to Williamsburg, and we were hustling to catch back up to our "front door".  We made the 300 mile trip in under 4 hours, including stopping for gas and lunch.  That was the only time that car got below 80!   :lmao:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:09:06 PM by diesel driver »
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 06:12:48 PM »
While my fastest "short run" was in the Mercedes (think coming off the gas, looking down, and seeing it come below 150, and the ex's fingerprints are in the dash), my most famous (notorious) run was in my father's 1979 Ford pickup back when I was in HS.  The summer before, the engine had blown, and he rebuilt it, blued and balanced.  That thing SCREAMED.  And yeah, I know that Cleveland engines weren't put in Fords as standard equipment since '72, but he checked the numbers, and damned if that wasn't a 351 Cleveland in it.

Gillette, Wyoming, to Farmington, New Mexico.  750 miles, through Cheyenne, Denver, and over Wolf Creek Pass.  9 hours.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 06:17:37 PM »
I had the luck of being stationed in Germany for five years in the 80's when the speed limit on the Autobahn was truly unlimited.

I was a single NCO and the love of my life at the time besides beer, was a brand new 320i BMW.

I scared myself and the occasional passenger more than once.

Now days, Chevy Silverado usually towing a boat and probably not more than a couple over the limit.  I must be getting old. :-)
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 06:28:25 PM »
I might be a conservative, but I'm still a Masshole - there are segments of 495, 95, and 93 where if you aren't speeding while driving in the breakdown lane, you will die. Speeding regularly is pretty much the way it is.

What's funny is the missus, she moves on the freeway like a bat out of hell, and picks on me since I try to keep it at 75.   :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
80's 320i BMW
Was it the E30 chassis?

God, that was an awesome car. :hyper:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.