Author Topic: member survey  (Read 19090 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
member survey
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:37:30 PM »
Time for that once-a-year survey of the membership, so as to figure out what works, and what doesn't work.

conservativecave seems to be working astonishingly well, the numbers (traffic) going up-up-up every single month, the sky being the limit; obviously conservativecave does what works.

But it's that time of the year anyway.....

(a) what brought you to conservativecave?  (a member already here, google search, whatnot)

(b) any suggestions on how to improve conservativecave?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
Re: member survey
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
Found the Cave by simple Google search, "conservative forums". Never too politically minded before Glorious Comrade Leader appeared in our midst like a bad fart that just won't go away, I am part of the general uprising of average Joe's who are appalled at where the leftists would have us headed. Just another angry peasant in the torch and pitchfork mob.

Would love to see the ability of Cave dwellers to administer bitch slaps to DUmmies directly on the island from here.  :fuelfire:

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline longview

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 02:38:15 PM »
I found the Cave via a friend's recommendation.  He suggested both the Cave and DU as sites that opine about the best and the worst politacally and I was looking for a more efficient way to learn about issues.

It was only after lurking for some time that this site became more, and I now enjoy more sections and am interested in the participants.  I rarely row to the Island, preferring to leave that to heartier members and read about the happenings there at the DUmp.

I have no suggestions for improvement.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »
Time for that once-a-year survey of the membership, so as to figure out what works, and what doesn't work.

conservativecave seems to be working astonishingly well, the numbers (traffic) going up-up-up every single month, the sky being the limit; obviously conservativecave does what works.

But it's that time of the year anyway.....

(a) what brought you to conservativecave?  (a member already here, google search, whatnot)

(b) any suggestions on how to improve conservativecave?

I would like to see a "Show unread posts since last visit" link on the bottom of each page as well as at the top.  That's how I navigate mostly and I always have to scroll back to the top of the page to hit the link.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »
(a) what brought you to conservativecave?

A PM on CU from Badcat letting me know where all Y'all escaped to. I was about a week late.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
I would like to see a "Show unread posts since last visit" link on the bottom of each page as well as at the top.  That's how I navigate mostly and I always have to scroll back to the top of the page to hit the link.

KC
We're switching to a new version of SMF (from 1.1.11 to 2.x) soon.  If the new forum has the same layout, adding the link is simple enough.

I'll see if I can update the current one this weekend.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
We're switching to a new version of SMF (from 1.1.11 to 2.x) soon.  If the new forum has the same layout, adding the link is simple enough.

I'll see if I can update the current one this weekend.

Thanks Chris!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »
1.  Stupidity and crashes on TOS, plus an invite.

2.  Off-hand, can't think of anything.  Moderation is pretty responsive, and well, pretty moderate.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
I found CC via google sometime last year and lurked for a long time. I look for American sites because Canadian politic sites are often boring however, I've been banned at every single site I've been a member of. This is the reason for the nonsense I posted and such at first, just to see if I'd get banned. As it turned out I didn't so I decided I'd stay at this site and have come to like it quite a lot.

It's a bit odd for a liberal to be on a conservative site but I've often found the better forums to be conservative ones. For example there are often better conversations, very often better run, don't have as many crazy people and are not a haven for stupid ass teenagers. This forum really is more what I was looking to join.

As for suggestions, I'd like an option just to skip the front page to the forum itself and I think a "Back to the top link" on the bottom of every page would be useful.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
I found CC via google sometime last year and lurked for a long time. I look for American sites because Canadian politic sites are often boring however, I've been banned at every single site I've been a member of. This is the reason for the nonsense I posted and such at first, just to see if I'd get banned. As it turned out I didn't so I decided I'd stay at this site and have come to like it quite a lot.

It's a bit odd for a liberal to be on a conservative site but I've often found the better forums to be conservative ones. For example there are often better conversations, very often better run, don't have as many crazy people and are not a haven for stupid ass teenagers. This forum really is more what I was looking to join.

As for suggestions, I'd like an option just to skip the front page to the forum itself and I think a "Back to the top link" on the bottom of every page would be useful.

Bookmark this link and you're all set. :-)

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php?action=forum
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »
(a) what brought you to conservativecave?  (a member already here, google search, whatnot) Thor invited me when I left another forum on which we were members.

(b) any suggestions on how to improve conservativecave? Mmmmmmmm, not offhand.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »
Bookmark this link and you're all set. :-)

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php?action=forum

Damn, I never thought of that.

Because of the configuration of the software and because I have my own private forum here (courtesy Thor; nothing interesting about it--he had just invented it because I couldn't "save" things on the computer I had at the time), I have to go through three pages to get to the forum page.

No big deal; just one of those little tiny nearly-insignificant nuisances one endures because it's more trouble straightening it out than living with it.

Thanks, Tucker.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »

There's already one there... lower left at the bottom of the page, at least with the theme I'm using (Babylon).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »
Damn, I never thought of that.

Because of the configuration of the software and because I have my own private forum here (courtesy Thor; nothing interesting about it--he had just invented it because I couldn't "save" things on the computer I had at the time), I have to go through three pages to get to the forum page.

No big deal; just one of those little tiny nearly-insignificant nuisances one endures because it's more trouble straightening it out than living with it.

Thanks, Tucker.

Sometimes the simplest things escape us.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
I got a PM from franksolich at FR letting me know this was here. I think the forum is fine. Maybe an iPhone app would be cool, if it made it easier to read on the iphone. But I don't have too much trouble anyway.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 04:13:16 PM »
Found CC via FreeRepublic over the 2011 new year. Visited the site and knew I had to join immediately. Don't post much. But do read most of the posts in the dumpster.

Can't think of a single improvement idea. Like it the way it is

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »
Mack Daddy sent me an email.   Love political forums and this one is very open to all points of view, which is nice to see as nothing gets old quicker than an echo chamber.  

I don't see a need for change at all.  Perfect as is.   Thanks to everyone who make CC possible!

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
I got a PM from franksolich at FR letting me know this was here.

Now, do I have good taste in people, or not?

You're always a perceptive poster, sir, and I for one appreciate your pointing out things I don't see.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
Thanks to everyone who make CC possible!

You're one of them, madam, who makes it all possible.

franksolich has been infatuated (your sparkling wit combined with deadpan seriousness--it's purely platonic, assure your husband) since you first came aboard.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
Just another angry peasant in the torch and pitchfork mob.

You've come to the right place, sir; plenty of torches and pitchforks for all who want them, although I have dibs on the 1-3/8" S/K adjustable wrench.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 04:31:52 PM »
It was only after lurking for some time that this site became more, and I now enjoy more sections and am interested in the participants.

Right, neighbor; there's a great deal of variety here, something for every taste. 

And many very interesting members, including yourself.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
I was about a week late.

Me too, and so I just barely missed out being a Founding Member, as Ptarmigan beat me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »
I found CC through DUmmie FUnnies.  
I read CC every day.  I get a big kick out of reading people's replies (especially the DUmpster).  Everyone is so entertaining!

Nothing to change as far as I'm concerned. The board is easy to navigate and I like the look.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »
Me too, and so I just barely missed out being a Founding Member, as Ptarmigan beat me.

Yeah, but he's for the birds.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 04:39:34 PM »
Moderation is pretty responsive, and well, pretty moderate.

Thank you, sir.

The night I showed up here, and Rebel asked me to be a moderator, he pounded it into my head with a sledge-hammer that moderators weren't supposed to just sit on their asses and boss people around, like they do at, ahem, some other places.

Rebel said moderators were expected to interact on an equal basis with members (besides other things in the job-description).  We've got great moderators here, who do exactly that.  And a good clue to that is that nearly all moderators here have been here since the beginning, suggesting stability.
apres moi, le deluge