Author Topic: Affirmative Action and my other 'racist' thoughts  (Read 9782 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Affirmative Action and my other 'racist' thoughts
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2011, 08:43:22 AM »
I'm still unsure what you are trying to say.  I said in my own experience racism was more prevalent in the south.  That is not a point that can be argued? If others have had their own experiences and those have been different then fine, but when I make a claim that is "from my own experience," any argument is moot.

From your own experience? What experience? Have you ever lived down here?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Intelligento

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2011, 09:18:34 AM »
From your own experience? What experience? Have you ever lived down here?

Did a year of high school in Atlanta.  Also have relatives in Georgia and family friend in Arkansas- have visited both many times.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2011, 10:28:26 AM »
Did a year of high school in Atlanta.  Also have relatives in Georgia and family friend in Arkansas- have visited both many times.

A year in high school, in one location, doesn't exactly qualify as "experience". I spent 104 days in Fairbanks, Ak in '04 and I can tell you, it didn't make me an expert on Alaskan culture. As for your relatives in Arkansas, I have a cousin that's an Attorney and Ole Miss Law school grad and one that has a PhD in music. Doesn't necessarily make me an expert on law or music. Need a shot? Trust me, I can do it. My mom's a nurse.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »
A year in high school, in one location, doesn't exactly qualify as "experience". I spent 104 days in Fairbanks, Ak in '04 and I can tell you, it didn't make me an expert on Alaskan culture. As for your relatives in Arkansas, I have a cousin that's an Attorney and Ole Miss Law school grad and one that has a PhD in music. Doesn't necessarily make me an expert on law or music. Need a shot? Trust me, I can do it. My mom's a nurse.

My Grandad was the Chief Urologist at the Biloxi VA.  I can play this game!  Where do I begin???   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Intelligento

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »

Haha did I claim to be an expert? I said in my own experience racism was more prevalent in the south.  I did not say in my own expertise it is more prevalent.  A year in one location doesn't qualify as an experience? Do you know what an experience is or are you confusing the two terms? A? Can you define the word for me?  I have had my own experiences in the south, I listed them, you asked for them, don't argue with it. I said I was drawing my conclusions from my own experience, and I listed my own experience- over a year as a resident and numerous other visits.  As for your other slights after the Alaskan example, they were completely irrelevant and out of line.    

If I go to Haiti for a week do I have enough experience to claim it is impoverished?
If I spend a month in Beijing can I say the people are oppressed?

Get over yourself and off your high horse.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:49:59 AM by Intelligento »

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2011, 10:57:18 AM »
My Grandad was the Chief Urologist at the Biloxi VA.  I can play this game!  Where do I begin???   :-)

What a coincidence!

I once stopped on the side of the road and peed in Kansas.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »
Haha did I claim to be an expert? I said in my own experience racism was more prevalent in the south.  I did not say in my own expertise it is more prevalent.  A year in one location doesn't qualify as an experience? Do you know what an experience is or are you confusing the two terms? A? Can you define the word for me?  I have had my own experiences in the south, I listed them, you asked for them, don't argue with it. I said I was drawing my conclusions from my own experience, and I listed my own experience- over a year as a resident and numerous other visits.  As for your other slights after the Alaskan example, they were completely irrelevant and out of line.    

If I go to Haiti for a week do I have enough experience to claim it is impoverished?

I had "an experience" with a fat chick one time, but I would exactly say I'm "experienced enough" to make assumptions about all fat chicks. In your opening OP, you made a very definitive statement using your VERY limited experience on the matter:

Racism is obviously very much prevalent in the U.S. predominantly in the South.

....and for 3 pages now, you've been proven dead wrong.

I'm sure I'll get a few bitchslaps out of this analogy.

Offline Intelligento

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2011, 12:29:29 PM »
I had "an experience" with a fat chick one time, but I would exactly say I'm "experienced enough" to make assumptions about all fat chicks. In your opening OP, you made a very definitive statement using your VERY limited experience on the matter:

....and for 3 pages now, you've been proven dead wrong.

I'm sure I'll get a few bitchslaps out of this analogy.

Nobody has proven anything- people have simply stated that they believe the opposite or have had experiences that suggest the opposite.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
I had "an experience" with a fat chick one time, but I would exactly say I'm "experienced enough" to make assumptions about all fat chicks.

Well, since your one-time experience has been ongoing for 27 years and 3 kids...

*runs*

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »
Nobody has proven anything- people have simply stated that they believe the opposite or have had experiences that suggest the opposite.

No, you said "obviously racism is more prevalent in the South", which is untrue. I grew up in Mississippi, and have been living in Augusta, Ga., on the SC line, for the past 16 years. I stayed after I ETS'd from the US Army. I've also traveled to MANY states as a defense contractor, a lot of those up north. Taunton, Massachusetts, Tinton Falls/Eaton, New Jersey, Pennsylvania from Harrisburg to Philly, and many, many other areas. Who do you think would be more of an authority on the subject? You, who spent one year here but has relatives here? Or people that actually live in the South? There's a reason black people are moving back down south. There's a reason Herman Cain is VERY liked as a presidential candidate down south. There's a reason our suburbs aren't lily-white like many I saw up north. My suburb of 500K+ homes is about 1/4 black. Could be many reasons, could be that many towns in the South have military installations around them. Could be that many southern people serve in the military, an entity that  instills a "we're all equally worthless as f**k" mentality, could be that it's staunchly Republican in the South. Then again, some of the places that do have race issues, from "my" experience, are the ones that are under Democratic control.

We can all make assumptions, but to say a definitive statement such as racism is more prevalent in the south, with nothing to go on other than your one little year in Atlanta and having relatives, is nothing but baseless conjecture on your part and should be perceived as such.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:46:40 PM by Rebel »

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »
What a coincidence!

I once stopped on the side of the road and peed in Kansas.

That most certainly is, since he got his Bachelors at KU!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »
Well, since your one-time experience has been ongoing for 27 years and 3 kids...

*runs*

That would make me 11 when I got married.  :-V-:

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »
Haha did I claim to be an expert? I said in my own experience racism was more prevalent in the south.  I did not say in my own expertise it is more prevalent.  A year in one location doesn't qualify as an experience? Do you know what an experience is or are you confusing the two terms? A? Can you define the word for me?  I have had my own experiences in the south, I listed them, you asked for them, don't argue with it. I said I was drawing my conclusions from my own experience, and I listed my own experience- over a year as a resident and numerous other visits.  As for your other slights after the Alaskan example, they were completely irrelevant and out of line.    

That you think your limited "impressions" merit the broad brush you're using is a shining tribute to your ignorance. There are people who have lived for years both in the North and the South. Don't you think their opinions are more valid, even to you, than your own "Impressions"?

Oi.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2011, 12:48:46 PM »
I'm still unsure what you are trying to say.  I said in my own experience racism was more prevalent in the south.  That is not a point that can be argued? If others have had their own experiences and those have been different then fine, but when I make a claim that is "from my own experience," any argument is moot.

Your exact quote, "As for my thoughts on racism.  Racism is obviously very much prevalent in the U.S. predominantly in the South."  You said nothing about any experiences pertaining to your blanket statement about the South.  You gave an incomplete thought, wrote and incomplete sentence and followed with a statement of what you feel passes as fact. 

Offline Intelligento

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »
No, you said "obviously racism is more prevalent in the South", which is untrue. I grew up in Mississippi, and have been living in Augusta, Ga., on the SC line, for the past 16 years. I stayed after I ETS'd from the US Army. I've also traveled to MANY states as a defense contractor, a lot of those up north. Taunton, Massachusetts, Tinton Falls/Eaton, New Jersey, Pennsylvania from Harrisburg to Philly, and many, many other areas. Who do you think would be more of an authority on the subject? You, who spent one year here but has relatives here? Or people that actually live in the South? There's a reason black people are moving back down south. There's a reason Herman Cain is VERY liked as a presidential candidate down south. There's a reason our suburbs aren't lily-white like many I saw up north. My suburb of 500K+ homes is about 1/4 black. Could be many reasons, could be that many towns in the South have military installations around them. Could be that many southern people serve in the military, an entity that  instills a "we're all equally worthless as f**k" mentality, could be that it's staunchly Republican in the South. Then again, some of the places that do have race issues, from "my" experience, are the ones that are under Democratic control.

We can all make assumptions, but to say a definitive statement such as racism is more prevalent in the south, with nothing to go on other than your one little year in Atlanta and having relatives, is nothing but baseless conjecture on your part and should be perceived as such.

To be honest, having lived 1 year+ in both the north and the south I'd give myself more authority on the subject than yourself who has "traveled to many northern cities," particularly because you traveled as a defense coordinator and were not living as a resident in both regions.  I think living somewhere for a year can give someone a pretty good idea of the culture/mindsets there, so please do not downplay that experience.  I also think for comparison's sake, one who has lived in both regions has a better vantage point than one who just lives in the south as you mentioned.  You started rambling at the end, so I didn't really pick up what you were trying to get at.  I think racism is more prevalent in the south- bam.  That is based off my experiences in both the north and the south.  If you don't like my opinion, deal with it.

Offline Intelligento

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
That you think your limited "impressions" merit the broad brush you're using is a shining tribute to your ignorance. There are people who have lived for years both in the North and the South. Don't you think their opinions are more valid, even to you, than your own "Impressions"?

Oi.

I think they would have their own set of opinions as well.  Unfortunately, wherever those people are hiding, they have not come out to share their opinions for us, outside of Mr. Rebel who has "traveled to many,  many, northern cities on business."

I am sorry I said "it is obviously more prevalent in the south."  I should have phrased it differently.  I believe it is more prevalent in the south, and my belief comes from my own experience. My sincere apologies, as many of you seem to have been truly offended.  I've lived in Boston, Chicago, New York City, Pittsburgh, and now Providence.  In the 26+ years I have lived in those cities, I have combined not seen the amount of racism I witnessed during my year in Atlanta.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:04:08 PM by Intelligento »

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »
To be honest, having lived 1 year+ in both the north and the south I'd give myself more authority on the subject than yourself who has "traveled to many northern cities," particularly because you traveled as a defense coordinator and were not living as a resident in both regions.  I think living somewhere for a year can give someone a pretty good idea of the culture/mindsets there, so please do not downplay that experience.  I also think for comparison's sake, one who has lived in both regions has a better vantage point than one who just lives in the south as you mentioned.  You started rambling at the end, so I didn't really pick up what you were trying to get at.  I think racism is more prevalent in the south- bam.  That is based off my experiences in both the north and the south.  If you don't like my opinion, deal with it.

....and many stories elsewhere prove you wrong. I've shown you discussions on the matter. If you failed to click the link, that's your own laziness. Racism is not more prevalent in the South, as we're not as segregated in the South as you are in the north. We've dealt with our issues, other than in the small Democratically-controlled areas like Atlanta.

Again, your statement is nothing but baseless conjecture and should be perceived as such. You are in no position of authority on the matter to make such a definitive statement. If you would have stated, "I think racism is more prevalent", other than being wrong, it wouldn't have been an issue and dismissed as nothing more than your opinion.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2011, 01:08:33 PM »
BTW:

In the 26+ years I have lived in those cities, I have combined not seen the amount of racism I witnessed during my year in Atlanta.

Please, do explain. You're 26? Oh, I have to hear this because Atlanta has pretty much been controlled by black people for decades. 

Offline Intelligento

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2011, 01:10:05 PM »
....and many stories elsewhere prove you wrong. I've shown you discussions on the matter. If you failed to click the link, that's your own laziness. Racism is not more prevalent in the South, as we're not as segregated in the South as you are in the north. We've dealt with our issues, other than in the small Democratically-controlled areas like Atlanta.

Again, your statement is nothing but baseless conjecture and should be perceived as such. You are in no position of authority on the matter to make such a definitive statement. If you would have stated, "I think racism is more prevalent", other than being wrong, it wouldn't have been an issue and dismissed as nothing more than your opinion.

Here is your problem.  You speak in absolutes- there is no determined fact that racism is more prevalent in the north or south- I have my opinion you have your (less qualified) one.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you are in no position to be making claims and acting as if they are widely accepted, when they most certainly are not.  

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2011, 01:25:23 PM »
Here is your problem.  You speak in absolutes- there is no determined fact that racism is more prevalent in the north or south- I have my opinion you have your (less qualified) one.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you are in no position to be making claims and acting as if they are widely accepted, when they most certainly are not.  

Like you did in the opening OP?

BTW, if racism is so prevalent in the South, why is it all the northern and weed-smoking western liberal cities that have "Little Italy's", "Chinatowns", a Jewish sector, "Little Havana's", and their own versions of Harlem? Down south, we all live around each other.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »
Hey Insipidshithole wrap your eyes around this.

Maybe people don't like being slapped with the label of racism based on nothing more than the opinion of a little punk whose development was arrested by the Poison Ivy League.

Maybe they've been slapped with that label for decades now without merit because it was an effective tool by a bunch of hucksters to marginalize opponents.

Maybe they want to be judged by the content of their character and not the sequence of their Zip Code.

You lack the perception and the cajones to say, "My bad; it was an unfair characterization."

Instead you just want to keep arguing the point thereby reinforcing it.

When I was first in the army I was attached to the mortar section. The vehicle I was assigned to was short-handed so in addition to my duties as the medic I learned to help them set-up the tube and whatnot and as a result the crew became rather fond of me (I was just having a blast but it apparently meant more to them). The NCO in charge fo the crew was black and the driver was a good ol' boy from Arkansas with the heavy drawl and slow tongue.

During a quiet interlude we were sitting on top of the vehicle having a moment of team bonding when the conversation drifted towards the topic of race. The redneck confided that he had grown-up his entire life hating blacks. To him they were dirty, lazy and crime-prone. He of course, was saying this while sitting beside his NCO. But he went on to say that his time in the army had opened his eyes. The blacks he had come to know were hard-working, intelligent and patriotic. He said he felt ashamed about his earlier views and was glad he had new friends.

Certainly a noble story but it doesn't end there.

A week later we were just getting back to our barracks. I was literally dragging my field gear back to my room when one of my regular acquaintances  passed me in the hall looking quite peeved. He blurted out that he hated ****ing n***ers because they were lazy and worthless and he came to that opinion since joining the army even though he had been raised in southern California in the culture of racial acceptance.

I'm sure your first reflex will be to claim the story reinforces your point about the South but I would submit it reinforces the point about people only seeing what they want to see and not judging people as individuals. The South doesn't make people racist as the one soldier's penance proves, nor do cultures of acceptance ward off the encroachments of unreasoned hatred.

People are people are people.

And you're an obstinate asshole.

Feel free to ****-off.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2011, 02:00:11 PM »
^H5

Offline Intelligento

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
Like you did in the opening OP?

BTW, if racism is so prevalent in the South, why is it all the northern and weed-smoking western liberal cities that have "Little Italy's", "Chinatowns", a Jewish sector, "Little Havana's", and their own versions of Harlem? Down south, we all live around each other.

In Atlanta the center of the city was almost entirely black while the outer parts of the city are almost entirely white- there is no complete segregation like that in the northern cities I have spent time in.  Immediately outside the city are a slew of white, redneck, and very racist suburban towns.  Walking in these suburban areas I had a rock thrown at me 2 times with shouts of "go back over the border." I'm originally from Mexico (though having spent all my life in the U.S.), and in these outer city areas two of my black friends and I were also refused taxi service on multiple occasions because "they did not travel that far of distance" (it was about 12 miles).  In Miami I was in a white neighborhood with 2 blacks and 3 white girls, we were stopped on our drive home from a restaurant and us 3 guys all asked to get out of the car because of "suspected criminal activity."  I personally think Miami is the most segregated and racist city in the U.S., though maybe others would disagree.    

BTW- I know I haven't pulled the race card yet, and I bet you assumed I was a white-upper middle class American.  However, I think being a minority that is often times discriminated against gives me a hell of a lot more "experience" than yourself, having simply "traveled to many northern cities."
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:09:17 PM by Intelligento »

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
In Atlanta the center of the city was almost entirely black while the outer parts of the city are almost entirely white- there is no complete segregation like that in the northern cities I have spent time in.  Immediately outside the city are a slew of white, redneck, and very racist suburban towns.  

This is total bullshit and lets me know you don't know what the **** you're talking about. Atlanta, ALSO a city I've lived in, there are prominent blacks living in Alpharetta, Kennesaw, Marietta, Cumming, Sandy Springs, and everywhere else. Hell, just about ALL of the prominent black Falcons, Braves, and Hawks live in Alpharetta, if they don't live within the perimeter in Buckhead.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »

BTW- I know I haven't pulled the race card yet, and I bet you assumed I was a white-upper middle class American.  However, I think being a minority that is often times discriminated against gives me a hell of a lot more "experience" than yourself, having simply "traveled to many northern cities."

Yeah, you're black. We'll all believe that.  :whatever:

You can shove that race card straight up your white, guilt-ridden ass.