Author Topic: Silly pet peeve's?  (Read 18326 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Re: Silly pet peeve's?
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2008, 08:34:23 AM »
"Disenfranchised" voters are near the top of my list.  I still haven't figured out exactly what one is.  Is that another word for black voters?  I noticed they are almost eclusively black.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2008, 09:45:32 AM »
"Disenfranchised" voters are near the top of my list.  I still haven't figured out exactly what one is.  Is that another word for black voters?  I noticed they are almost eclusively black.

:rotf:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
I have to add another one.

People who kiss butt to try to gain favor from others.    (Had a bit of a situation related to that occur via YIM with an ex- friend.  I wanted to smack them so badly for what they were saying.  It can also pertain to another website).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2008, 09:48:37 AM »
I got one -

people who go out in public in their pajamas. SERIOUSLY! Is this is a new trend? I've noticed it a lot lately. And I'm not exaggerating when I say they look like crap! We saw an entire family on Sat. afternoon in their jammies. And they were all wearing slippers and not real shoes. And no, it wasn't for a costume party. These were raggedy old flannel pajama pants with ratty old shirts. And their slippers were black from being worn so much. Puke!!! And they couldn't pick up their feet. They scuffled along. And I don't think anyone had seen a comb or toothbrush in a while.

Seriously! What the hell???

I've gone out in public without looking my best. Heck, I've worn jammie bottoms before (but they were more like sweats and didn't have charactors on them!) I get that people will go out like this. But to just stroll around like you rolled out of bed and into the car? And it's obvious you don't care and aren't just out for quick run because it's urgent??? I mean, these people are prancing around the mall and taking lesuirely strolls...

I don't get it.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2008, 09:49:54 AM »
I got one -

people who go out in public in their pajamas. SERIOUSLY! Is this is a new trend? I've noticed it a lot lately. And I'm not exaggerating when I say they look like crap! We saw an entire family on Sat. afternoon in their jammies. And they were all wearing slippers and not real shoes. And no, it wasn't for a costume party. These were raggedy old flannel pajama pants with ratty old shirts. And their slippers were black from being worn so much. Puke!!! And they couldn't pick up their feet. They scuffled along. And I don't think anyone had seen a comb or toothbrush in a while.

I've gone out in public without looking my best. Heck, I've worn jammie bottoms before (but they were more like sweats and didn't have charactors on them!) I get that people will go out like this. But to just stroll around like you rolled out of bed and into the car? And it's obvious you don't care and aren't just out for quick run because it's urgent??? I mean, these people are prancing around the mall and taking lesuirely strolls...

I don't get it.
I see that a lot here at  college.  I find it rather ridiculous myself.  College students are adults, and need to learn to dress like it.   It's not that hard to put on a pair of jeans and a shirt.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
RebelYell, I have a similar pet peeve that you have with the Yankees...it'd be my southern IL's who never even gave me a chance *because* I was considered a "Yankee" to them...an outsider.

**** them and their prejudic, because  my paternal grandmother was about as southern as they get...and she was a real lady, too...gracious and charming and had class, something my IL's lack.  My IL's don't hold a candle to that woman, and "bless their hearts" :bird:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:06:04 AM by LadyLiberty »
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
I got one -

I don't get it.
I see that a lot here at  college.  I find it rather ridiculous myself.  College students are adults, and need to learn to dress like it.   It's not that hard to put on a pair of jeans and a shirt.

Guilty as charged.  I don't go to the mall or anything.  I did try to go to Wal-Mart with my Dale Jr. Pajama bottoms on, but the wife made me sit in the car.  I told her I'd fit right in at Wally World, but she said not with her.  I wasn't expecting to go to Wal-Mart  when we left.

I will wear them to the convinience store about a block from the house.  Or to the grocery store, I live in a very small town where everybody knows everybody.  So, it's no big deal here.

I just got a new pair of flannels a couple months back, and I wear tennis shoes, not bedroom shoes.  And I don't leave the house without my hat.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Chris_

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2008, 10:07:38 AM »
I got one -

I don't get it.

Guilty as charged.  I don't go to the mall or anything.  I did try to go to Wal-Mart with my Dale Jr. Pajama bottoms on, but the wife made me sit in the car.  I told her I'd fit right in at Wally World, but she said not with her.  I wasn't expecting to go to Wal-Mart  when we left.

I will wear them to the convinience store about a block from the house.  Or to the grocery store, I live in a very small town where everybody knows everybody.  So, it's no big deal here.

I just got a new pair of flannels a couple months back, and I wear tennis shoes, not bedroom shoes.  And I don't leave the house without my hat.

I'm guilty of doing it myself, but only when I was a freshmen.  Since then, I've had to really focus on my career and how I present myself to others.   I keep to wearing dress pants or skirts with nice blouses these days, except for when I'm in class and wear jeans. 

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:52 AM »
I got one -

I don't get it.

I'm guilty of doing it myself, but only when I was a freshmen.  Since then, I've had to really focus on my career and how I present myself to others.   I keep to wearing dress pants or skirts with nice blouses these days, except for when I'm in class and wear jeans. 

Well, I'm 32 years old.  But I live in coon-ass Turner County, so nobody thinks anything of it.  As dressed up as I get is my khakis and polo shirt I wear to work and church.  Other than that, a nice pair of blue jeans and a clean hat is dressed up for me.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2008, 10:13:07 AM »
Yeah, but ya'll are decent folk. You surely don't look like the crew of a meth lab which is what these people reminded me of. And this was in a department store, not walmart or 7-11.

I think casual wear is fine. And even some jammies. But these were skanky and stanky! Trust me, you would have went "ewwww" too. :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »
Yeah, but ya'll are decent folk. You surely don't look like the crew of a meth lab which is what these people reminded me of. And this was in a department store, not walmart or 7-11.

I think casual wear is fine. And even some jammies. But these were skanky and stanky! Trust me, you would have went "ewwww" too. :-)
Oh, I know what you mean.  It is the uniform of welfare queens down here.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
Quote from: lug-nut
You might be a Yankee if...

Let me see...

1) You think barbecue is a verb meaning "to cook outside."

>> day in/day out -- Yankee

2) You think Heinz Ketchup is SPICY!

>> Nope - Southern

3) You don't have any problems pronouncing "Worcestershire sauce" correctly.

>>Yankee

4) For breakfast, you would prefer potatoes au gratin to grits.

>>Southern (but with gravy, not sweet -- does that count?)

5) You don't know what a moon pie is.

>>Southern -- LOVE 'EM (but I can't have 'em any more)

6) You've never had grain alcohol.

>>Southern -- too bad I can't remember much about it...

7) You've never, ever, eaten Okra.

>>Southern -- sorta.  nasty stuff that is full of nose gunk, even fried

8) You eat fried chicken with a knife and fork.

>>Southern -- NEVER

9) You've never seen a live chicken, and the only cows you've seen are on road trips.

>>Southern (by this criteria) but I travel for a living

10) You have no idea what a polecat is.

>>Southern

11) Whenever someone tells an off*color joke about farm animals, it goes over your head.

>>Southern

12) You don't see anything wrong with putting a sweater on a poodle.

>>SOUTHERN

13) You don't have bangs.

>>Southern

14) You would rather vacation at Martha's Vineyard than Six Flags.

>>Yankee -- only because I have a fear of heights and so I don't like roller coasters

15) More than two generations of your family have been kicked out of the same prep school in Connecticut.

>>n/a -- Californian so East Coast reference are meaningless

16) You would rather have your son become a lawyer than grow up to get his own TV fishing show.

>>Yankee

17) Instead of referring to two or more people as "y'all," you call them "you guys," even if both of them are women.

>>Yankee but I start picking up the "You'all" and "all You'll" and "I'm fixin' to" after a few months in Southern climes

18) You don't think Howard Stern has an accent.
>>Southern

19) You have never planned your summer vacation around a gun*and*knife show.
>>Yankee

20) You think more money should go to important scientific research at your university than to pay the salary of the head football coach.
>>Tie

21) You don't have at least one can of WD*40 somewhere around the house.
>>Southern

22) The last time you smiled was when you prevented someone from getting on An on*ramp on the highway.
>>Yankee

23) You don't have any hats in your closet that advertise feed stores.
>>Yankee

24) The farthest south you've ever been is the perfume counter at Neiman Marcus.
>>Southern

25) You call binoculars opera glasses.
>>Southern

26) You can't spit out the car window without pulling over to the side of the road and stopping.
>>Southern

27) You would never wear pink or an appliqued sweatshirt.
>>Southern

28) You don't know what appliqued is.
>>Southern

29) Most of your formative high school sexual experiences took place within the context of a football game.
>>Southern

30) You don't know anyone with two first names (i.e. Joe Bob, Billy Bob, Bubba Kay Bob, Bob Bob)
>>Yankee

31) You don't have doilies, and you certainly don't know how to make one.
>>Southern

32) You've never been to a craft show.
>>Southern

33) You get freaked out when people on the subway talk to you.
>>Southern

34) You can't do your laundry without quarters.
>>Southern

35) None of your fur coats are homemade.
>>Yankee

Now I am too tired to count but it seems I have been heavily influenced by my time in The South.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
I got one -

I don't get it.

Well, I'm 32 years old.  But I live in coon-ass Turner County, so nobody thinks anything of it.  As dressed up as I get is my khakis and polo shirt I wear to work and church.  Other than that, a nice pair of blue jeans and a clean hat is dressed up for me.

You're excused.  : :p

I know that when I was living in the North Georgia mountains at a 2 year  private college (where I got my associate's in business), I LOVED wearing pajamas to class.  Heck, even one of my professors did that from time to time (liberal nutcase, yes, but he had his amusing moments, when he showed up in pajamas carrying his dog into the classroom :lmao:).

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2008, 07:48:45 AM »
I dunno.

I think Rebel has a very legitimate complaint, northerners going south and acting as if they own the place, and demanding that the place conform to their own expectations and wishes.

These are the same sorts of people who ruined Vermont, once a quite distinctive place.  Having made Hellholes of those places where they were born and raised, they ran away to some pristine clean area to foul it too.

My soul aches for you, Rebel, but damn, I don't know what one can do about it.

I wish something, anything, could be done about it.

By the way, why's everybody picking on John Matrix?--aren't we supposed to be wearing down the nocturnally foul one instead?

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »
I dunno.

I think Rebel has a very legitimate complaint, northerners going south and acting as if they own the place, and demanding that the place conform to their own expectations and wishes.

These are the same sorts of people who ruined Vermont, once a quite distinctive place.  Having made Hellholes of those places where they were born and raised, they ran away to some pristine clean area to foul it too.

My soul aches for you, Rebel, but damn, I don't know what one can do about it.

I wish something, anything, could be done about it.

By the way, why's everybody picking on John Matrix?--aren't we supposed to be wearing down the nocturnally foul one instead?

They don`t always go south Frank,sometimes they migrate a short distance to the north (of NYC and surroundings).

As I told someone last night I have always felt like a southerner that was accidently born a yankee.

Say.....in DUmmythink that would make me an oppressed minority of some sort wouldn`t it?
Hmmmmm

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2008, 03:13:08 PM »

Yup, that is BS...it's the same thing as the Mexicans coming in and expecting the US to assimilate to them.  You won't get any argument on that from me.

But, there is also a big difference between a Southerner and the Good Ol' Boy Billy Bob mentality. The former has manners, class, charm, and is hospitable  :-) They are really, truly, charming people...and the Southern Gentleman...meow!!!!!!!

Barack Obama

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2008, 03:14:24 PM »

Say.....in DUmmythink that would make me an oppressed minority of some sort wouldn`t it?
Hmmmmm

:rotf: :rotf:

Barack Obama

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »

Hmmmmm

:rotf: :rotf:

Pity me?  :bawl:

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2008, 09:26:53 PM »
 I hate it when my post is the header for a new column, and breaks to a new page.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2008, 12:32:57 AM »
I hate it when my post is the header for a new column, and breaks to a new page.

No, it is when you are the LAST post on a page.  That post gets ignored in favor of the new page post.