Author Topic: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset  (Read 7856 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset
« on: January 19, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »

BOSTON – In an epic upset in liberal Massachusetts, Republican Scott Brown rode a wave of voter anger to defeat Democrat Martha Coakley in a U.S. Senate election Tuesday that left President Barack Obama's health care overhaul in doubt and marred the end of his first year in office.

The loss by the once-favored Coakley for the seat that the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy held for nearly half a century signaled big political problems for the president's party this fall when House, Senate and gubernatorial candidates are on the ballot nationwide.

More immediately, Brown will become the 41st Republican in the 100-member Senate, which could allow the GOP to block the president's health care legislation and the rest of Obama's agenda. Democrats needed Coakley to win for a 60th vote to thwart Republican filibusters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_massachusetts_senate
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Mustang

Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:39:06 PM »
Congrats.  The pundits and people will run with this. Surprising upset.
Adds fuel and momentum to the NJ + VA victories.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:41:43 PM by Mustang »

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »
Woot!
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:42:39 PM »
Let the spin begin.

Offline 5412

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:52:26 PM »
Let the spin begin.

Hi,

I understood Coakley basically said it was the Obama agenda that did her in.  If she said that, I agree with her.  When I heard BO was headed to campaign for her, I cheered because, just like the olympics, I knew he would hurt her more than help.  The focus group on Fox where they had all registered democrats confirmed that, they do not want the health care bill, and they do not like the way Obama is going about his business.

regards,

Offline bkg

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 08:56:18 PM »
Hi,

I understood Coakley basically said it was the Obama agenda that did her in.  If she said that, I agree with her.  When I heard BO was headed to campaign for her, I cheered because, just like the olympics, I knew he would hurt her more than help.  The focus group on Fox where they had all registered democrats confirmed that, they do not want the health care bill, and they do not like the way Obama is going about his business.

regards,

Torn - I agree his agenda is really starting to turn people off.
But from what I understand of her, she was quite the tard... and she's blaming someone else?

could go either way?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »
As someone a bit closer (although not as close as lurker or miskie) I would opine that it was a combination of the two.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »
Her liberal agenda, coupled with the fact that most Americans are CONSERVATIVE in their own lives, as well as their own family lives, is what did her in. This is something that will need to be taken care of in the various primaries coming up.

Jonah
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »
Just popping in at this unprecedented, historic moment to say SUCK IT, DEMS!!!  Brown started with a truck and it's going to end later this year with a Republican steamroller.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »
Dear President Obama,

Happy one-year anniversary!

Hope you like your present.

Love,

Massachusetts.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
Dear President Obama,

Happy one-year anniversary!

Hope you like your present.

Love,

Massachusetts.

:bwah:

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 10:54:57 PM »
Super permanent sticky bump for splashdown!

Stomach...aches...from...laughter!!!!111

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 11:12:39 PM »
Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, head of the House Democrats' campaign effort, said Coakley's loss won't deter his colleagues from continuing to blame the previous administration.
:lmao:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Oceander

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:07 PM »
The Democrats' Last Stand:

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »
This election may have been a surprised to the democrats and the media, but it certainly was no surprise to the conservative/libertarian movement.
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 01:25:29 AM »
 :-)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUJsYLiizvU[/youtube]
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Karin

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 07:16:38 AM »
Greetings to my fellow CCers on this great day!  Some of the spin has been laughable.  Steny Hoyer said that voters were angry and expressing dissatisfaction with the GOP obstructionism.   :lmao:  The, the AFL-CIO guy echoed him.  This was reported on The Hill website, with hilarious comments following. 

My deepest thanks to the people of Mass. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 07:32:18 AM »
Like everybody else on CC, I'm heartened by Brown's win and, most notably, by the slap in Obama's face that is a result.

Regarding healthcare, however, I'm a little concerned by this statement from Brown's web site:

Health Care
I believe that all Americans deserve health care coverage, but I am opposed to the health care legislation that is under consideration in Congress and will vote against it. It will raise taxes, increase government spending and lower the quality of care, especially for elders on Medicare. I support strengthening the existing private market system with policies that will drive down costs and make it easier for people to purchase affordable insurance. In Massachusetts, I support the 2006 healthcare law that was successful in expanding coverage, but I also recognize that the state must now turn its attention to controlling costs.

Link

One of the hallmarks of the federal POS Obamacare legislation was, so I've read, that it was very much patterned after the Massachusetts program. Yeah, I know the feds piled on a lot more pork and a lot of garbage that rendered the half-assed effort the "High Exalted Turd Status", but it sounds to me like Brown doesn't have a fundamental problem with mandatory health care provided by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Brown has been pretty clear about his intention to torpedo Obamacare, but this business about the Masshole program bugs me a little bit.

Is Brown trying to play both ends against the middle?   :???:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline 5412

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 07:40:20 AM »
Like everybody else on CC, I'm heartened by Brown's win and, most notably, by the slap in Obama's face that is a result.

Regarding healthcare, however, I'm a little concerned by this statement from Brown's web site:

Link

One of the hallmarks of the federal POS Obamacare legislation was, so I've read, that it was very much patterned after the Massachusetts program. Yeah, I know the feds piled on a lot more pork and a lot of garbage that rendered the half-assed effort the "High Exalted Turd Status", but it sounds to me like Brown doesn't have a fundamental problem with mandatory health care provided by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Brown has been pretty clear about his intention to torpedo Obamacare, but this business about the Masshole program bugs me a little bit.

Is Brown trying to play both ends against the middle?   :???:

Hi,

Likely he was caught in a box.  MA health care was passed by a Republican governor and likely he voted for it.

regards,

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »
Before we get to crazy, remember one small thing, kids:

As inept and incompetent as Coakley was, she STILL got 47 percent of the vote.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 07:46:53 AM »

I don't think anybody has lost sight of the fact that Masshole is still a blue state. This election simply allows the few reds who remain a chance to bask in the glow for awhile. Lighten up, Francis.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 07:52:45 AM »
I don't think anybody has lost sight of the fact that Masshole is still a blue state. This election simply allows the few reds who remain a chance to bask in the glow for awhile. Lighten up, Francis.

I'll "lighten up" if and when the GOP ALSO learns from this.  It isn't a mandate FOR the GOP so much as it's a refutation of big government liberalism.  Never forget that there's only a shadow's worth of difference between the Dems and Republicans once inside the Beltway.

I saw what happened after 1994, and wasn't thrilled by it.  I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of the drunken sailor spending RINOs we got after that election.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »
Today should be a banner day for listening and watching the liberal pundits on radio and TV.  Last night, both Olbermann and Maddow looked like either they had diarrhea or their beloved grandmothers had just died, and I think Matthews was tossing back the brewskis between commercial breaks.

Offline 5412

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 08:03:08 AM »

Hi,

In MA they could run a serial killer on the democrat ticket and they would get 47%.  Normally democrats get a whole lot more.

regards,

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »
I'll "lighten up" if and when the GOP ALSO learns from this.  It isn't a mandate FOR the GOP so much as it's a refutation of big government liberalism.  Never forget that there's only a shadow's worth of difference between the Dems and Republicans once inside the Beltway.

I saw what happened after 1994, and wasn't thrilled by it.  I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of the drunken sailor spending RINOs we got after that election.

In that case, I think we're both singin' off the same page.

In Masshole, the opportunity for ACORN to shine forth and do what they do was never more predicated. While no election is error-free, I'm sincerely surprised that the results weren't closer than they were.

All the same, Masshole is bluer than Blue Man Group. Brown's election doesn't change that fact. Beacon Street and the State House are still outfitted with the moonbats that actually put Marcia up to play. The fact that she's a ****up of the first order AND that the reds got energized enough to marshal forces enough to lend a real, honest-to-God presence in opposition AND that Coakley went on freakin' vacation over the holidays, arrogantly thinking that the Kennedy seat was hers for the taking, well, that's politics.

Blue ain't goin' over to purple. And probably not ever in your part of the country.