Author Topic: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset  (Read 7855 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: GOP's Brown wins Mass. Senate seat in epic upset
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 08:21:09 AM »
Blue ain't goin' over to purple. And probably not ever in your part of the country.

You might be surprised.  NH is more balanced than a lot of states, and given what Lynch, Che, Shaheen, and Hodes have done (with Ray Buckey the faux Vietnam Vet/ghey child molestor pushing the agenda), people up here are more than a little pissed at the Dems.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 08:33:56 AM »
OK, let's take a little reality check here:

Luntz's Dem focus group was on camera this morning, far and away their most common comment about Obama boiled down to them still loving him but being disappointed in the results so far, only a handful of them had decided (or had the balls to say out loud) that he was a phony.  Many of them said something to the effect of 'He hasn't really been given a chance' (Remember, these are Democrats, not rational humans).

Brown is a MASSACHUSSETTS Republican, not a Tennessee or Texas or Wyoming Republican.  He's not thinking along the same lines as some kind of sane Ron Paul, and he wouldn't have won in that state if he was.

A lot of Republicans DO want to see some work done on health care, just not the same KIND of work Obama had in mind.  Obama wanted 'Free' health care for some core Democrat constituencies, funding for that at the expense of constituencies that weren't as large in numbers of voters and weren't his voters, protection of the American Trial Lawyers Assn from any kind of tort reform, and special treatment for the unions (I'm sure he wanted to have the Feds pick up the tab for the UAW retiree health fund, but that wasn't the bill he got, as things eventuated).  A lot of Republicans would be perfectly fine with a health care reform act that actually reformed something instead of being a blatant vote-buying, special-interest payoff bill...things like 0 some kind of limit or reform of tort liability, portability or some kind of interstate competition in health insurance, and incorporating some sort of last-ditch way to cover those shunned by free market insurers.  It's not that the GOP repudiates any kind of health care reform, it's that the existing bills are anything but a 'Reform.'   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 08:35:09 AM »
Attention GOP and Michael Steele:

Conservatism wins every tie it's tried.

That is all.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 09:07:11 AM »
Hummmmm I've noticed something here this morning.

Obama finally gave the Change he promised.
The Conservatives now have Hope.

:-)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »

Luntz's Dem focus group was on camera this morning, far and away their most common comment about Obama boiled down to them still loving him but being disappointed in the results so far, only a handful of them had decided (or had the balls to say out loud) that he was a phony.  Many of them said something to the effect of 'He hasn't really been given a chance' (Remember, these are Democrats, not rational humans).

Brown is a MASSACHUSSETTS Republican, not a Tennessee or Texas or Wyoming Republican.  He's not thinking along the same lines as some kind of sane Ron Paul, and he wouldn't have won in that state if he was.

A lot of Republicans DO want to see some work done on health care, just not the same KIND of work Obama had in mind.  Obama wanted 'Free' health care for some core Democrat constituencies, funding for that at the expense of constituencies that weren't as large in numbers of voters and weren't his voters, protection of the American Trial Lawyers Assn from any kind of tort reform, and special treatment for the unions (I'm sure he wanted to have the Feds pick up the tab for the UAW retiree health fund, but that wasn't the bill he got, as things eventuated).  A lot of Republicans would be perfectly fine with a health care reform act that actually reformed something instead of being a blatant vote-buying, special-interest payoff bill...things like 0 some kind of limit or reform of tort liability, portability or some kind of interstate competition in health insurance, and incorporating some sort of last-ditch way to cover those shunned by free market insurers.  It's not that the GOP repudiates any kind of health care reform, it's that the existing bills are anything but a 'Reform.'   

Well said.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »
Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, head of the House Democrats' campaign effort, said Coakley's loss won't deter his colleagues from continuing to blame the previous administration.

Is this guy serious?

:mental:

Yeah, DUmbass, do that.  Please?  Pretty, pretty please?
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline bkg

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 09:51:53 AM »
Like everybody else on CC, I'm heartened by Brown's win and, most notably, by the slap in Obama's face that is a result.

Regarding healthcare, however, I'm a little concerned by this statement from Brown's web site:

Link

One of the hallmarks of the federal POS Obamacare legislation was, so I've read, that it was very much patterned after the Massachusetts program. Yeah, I know the feds piled on a lot more pork and a lot of garbage that rendered the half-assed effort the "High Exalted Turd Status", but it sounds to me like Brown doesn't have a fundamental problem with mandatory health care provided by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Brown has been pretty clear about his intention to torpedo Obamacare, but this business about the Masshole program bugs me a little bit.

Is Brown trying to play both ends against the middle?   :???:

Or just maybe he's not as conservative as people think? Could break with tradition and talk a big game during the campaign and then vote differently behind closed doors... :sarcasm:

Offline bkg

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 09:53:12 AM »
Hi,

Likely he was caught in a box.  MA health care was passed by a Republican governor and likely he voted for it.

regards,

So he's a GOP and not a Conservative, afterall. Doesn't bode well for standing up to DC, eh?  :lmao: :lmao:

Offline bkg

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »

/Thread.

Gotta love watching people get that tingly feeling up their leg, though.  :rotf:

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 09:59:27 AM »
Hummmmm I've noticed something here this morning.

Obama finally gave the Change he promised.
The Conservatives now have Hope.

:-)

:clap: :newyear:
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 10:28:33 AM »
You might be surprised.  NH is more balanced than a lot of states, and given what Lynch, Che, Shaheen, and Hodes have done (with Ray Buckey the faux Vietnam Vet/ghey child molestor pushing the agenda), people up here are more than a little pissed at the Dems.

Well, let's see what happens later this year.  :popcorn:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »
I'll "lighten up" if and when the GOP ALSO learns from this.  It isn't a mandate FOR the GOP so much as it's a refutation of big government liberalism.  Never forget that there's only a shadow's worth of difference between the Dems and Republicans once inside the Beltway.

I saw what happened after 1994, and wasn't thrilled by it.  I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of the drunken sailor spending RINOs we got after that election.

AMEN !!! The GOP hurt themselves when they started acting like Dems.They found the pork and decided that they, too, would use that to their advantage. That ended for the GOP in 2006 when the Dems took power. While spending still stayed high, the pork was stolen by the DEMS. If the GOP returns to their base, instead of acting like Dems, we MIGHT be OK.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Karin

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 12:40:54 PM »
Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, head of the House Democrats' campaign effort, said Coakley's loss won't deter his colleagues from continuing to blame the previous administration.

This statement was posted at Politico.  It was met with utter ridicule and derision. 

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 12:50:35 PM »
What makes it even funnier is this quote from Howard Dean at the same time...
People who blame others are losers.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/01/dean-people-who-blame-others-are-losers.php
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline 5412

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »
So he's a GOP and not a Conservative, afterall. Doesn't bode well for standing up to DC, eh?  :lmao: :lmao:

Hi,

Not sure I would agree with your assumption.  I do not know a lot about it but I understand since Romney was governor of MA the libs have had a hand at changing the MA system, more than likely giving more free stuff to buy votes.

We will see how Mr. Brown turns out.

regards,

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 02:14:22 PM »
This statement was posted at Politico.  It was met with utter ridicule and derision. 

Plus as Rush said today:

....." They are today coming to grips with the fact that if Brown can win in MA......every Democrat seat in the country is now "in play"......"none of them are safe......."

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »
Plus as Rush said today:

....." They are today coming to grips with the fact that if Brown can win in MA......every Democrat seat in the country is now "in play"......"none of them are safe......."

doc

And maybe many a GOP seat is in trouble also.

Obama has brought about one big change....and all politicians need to take note.

We all knew there were "shenanigans" going on behind closed doors with deals being made for votes....which is why so many bills have so many extras that have nothing to do with the purpose of the bill.

However....we -the people - could not prove it!

With Obama wanting change for things to be transparent... we-the people - are now so much more  AWARE of what these politicians are doing to get the votes!!

When have we ever known about anything like the "Louisiana Purchase", the "Cornhusker" deal, the Unions getting out of paying the same taxes as their non-union peers?

NEVER!!

ALL incumbents need to be put on notice....straighten up and do the will of those who elected you - and do it morally correct - or be prepared to find another job!!!

And while we're at it.....we're going to take away your lifetime benefits too!

Beware Congress-critters....we are  :angryvillagers: :angryvillagers: :angryvillagers: and we are uniting against a common enemy!!!! 

That would be YOU.... :shame:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 03:35:58 PM »
Brown (and his supporters - not just the MA voters but all of us) need to say, "Okay Dems, we just proved to you that enough is enough and that NO seat is owned by ANYONE!! You do a bad job, expect to be shown the door by the voters." And You members of the GOP (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!) Are next!!!!!!!

I'm on a tear today. :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 03:43:52 PM »
Brown (and his supporters - not just the MA voters but all of us) need to say, "Okay Dems, we just proved to you that enough is enough and that NO seat is owned by ANYONE!! You do a bad job, expect to be shown the door by the voters." And You members of the GOP (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!) Are next!!!!!!!

I'm on a tear today. :-)

Works for me!   :bow:  :bow:  :bow:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Daisy

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 04:09:06 PM »
Look! It's a bird it's a plane...It's Scott Brown...A GOP STAR IS BORN!!!

Offline Javelin

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »
Well, let's see what happens later this year.  :popcorn:

By far the best post I have seen yet.  Why you may ask?  Normally I like to test drive before I buy, but with politicians we get sold hype then told to test drive after the buy.  

Time will be the test.  I count this event as nothing more than a technical victory.  The fact it was in Mass is substantial but still proves nothing solid as of yet.  We need to get rid of a lot of D's and Rinos at the slaughterhouse and one pig being served up for dinner just is not enough.  I want the damn Tbone steak.

Offline 5412

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2010, 06:12:52 PM »

And maybe many a GOP seat is in trouble also.

Obama has brought about one big change....and all politicians need to take note.

We all knew there were "shenanigans" going on behind closed doors with deals being made for votes....which is why so many bills have so many extras that have nothing to do with the purpose of the bill.

However....we -the people - could not prove it!

With Obama wanting change for things to be transparent... we-the people - are now so much more  AWARE of what these politicians are doing to get the votes!!

When have we ever known about anything like the "Louisiana Purchase", the "Cornhusker" deal, the Unions getting out of paying the same taxes as their non-union peers?

NEVER!!

ALL incumbents need to be put on notice....straighten up and do the will of those who elected you - and do it morally correct - or be prepared to find another job!!!

And while we're at it.....we're going to take away your lifetime benefits too!

Beware Congress-critters....we are  :angryvillagers: :angryvillagers: :angryvillagers: and we are uniting against a common enemy!!!! 

That would be YOU.... :shame:

Hi,

Indeed every GOP incumbent should be put on notice.  Right here in Florida we have a Republican governor running for senator and he started out with an insurmountable lead.  Well he is about to get his ass handed to him in the primaries by Marco Rubio, once again a little known state employee.  Rubio was told he should wait his turn by the establishment, figuring that Crist would win in 2010 and then Rubio could take on Bill Nelson in 2012.

Rubio, a conservative basically said BS, Crist is off base too and I am going to challenge him.  Well the head of the Florida Republican Party who strongly favored Crist just got canned and it is wide open.  That is a message that should have Republicans on notice also.  Not just challenges from democrats; but from conservative Republicans.

For what it is worth, Limbaugh said something today I have been thinking about.  Don't be so sure Hillary does not challenge Obama in the primaries in 2012.  If she wins then it changes the game substiantially.  She may be in the eyes of some the salvation of the democrat party.

regards

Offline bkg

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
Hi,

Not sure I would agree with your assumption.  I do not know a lot about it but I understand since Romney was governor of MA the libs have had a hand at changing the MA system, more than likely giving more free stuff to buy votes.

We will see how Mr. Brown turns out.

regards,

The fact that he voted for it - as I read here - is what concerns me. But you're right, we'll see what happens. Hopefully his actions reflect his words.

Offline 5412

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »
The fact that he voted for it - as I read here - is what concerns me. But you're right, we'll see what happens. Hopefully his actions reflect his words.

Hi,

What little I saw of him, he appeared to have the same thing that blesses Sarah Palin.....a tad of common sense.

I have hope the guy is real.

Regards,

Offline WMD Owl

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »
For what it is worth, Limbaugh said something today I have been thinking about.  Don't be so sure Hillary does not challenge Obama in the primaries in 2012.  If she wins then it changes the game substiantially.  She may be in the eyes of some the salvation of the democrat party.

It will be a replay of 1980 when Carter-Kennedy tore the Dems apart.  If the Dems lose more than 30 Seats in the House and more than 5 in the Senate on 2010, I predict Hillary will bolt.