Author Topic: 7.0 Quake in Haiti  (Read 8515 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
7.0 Quake in Haiti
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:23:01 PM »

The largest earthquake ever recorded in the area shook Haiti on Tuesday, collapsing a hospital where people screamed for help. Other buildings also were damaged and scientists said they expected "substantial damage and casualties."

A Reuters reporter on the scene says he's seen dozens of dead and injured in the rubble of fallen buildings.

With communications disrupted there were no reports of deaths or injuries soon after the quake, as powerful aftershocks shook the country.

The earthquake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 and was centered about 10 miles west of the capital of Port-au-Prince, the U.S. Geological Survey said. It had a depth of 5 miles. It was the largest quake recorded in the area, said USGS analyst Dale Grant, and the last major one since a magnitude-6.7 temblor in 1984.

<SNIP>

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/12/world/main6088830.shtml?tag=topnews
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:19:14 PM by Chris »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: 7.0 Quake in Haiti
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:17:28 PM »
Ouch.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:19:46 PM »
This is very sad news. I have to admit that my first reaction is that "damage is estimated to be in the tens of dollars". But this is not funny at all.

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:05:42 AM »
May God watch over them all. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »
May God watch over them all. 

Amen....

This is so tragic. Many of the buildings are pourly constructed concrete block or poured concrete, allowing them to collapse easily but hurt just has badly as well made concrete.

A woman is on tv now, who is from there. She just said a school collapsed in 2003 and it took 3 days to get all the students out. How long will it take to get these poor people rescued?

Our Church's "sister" parish is there. I heard on the news earlier this morning that the Archbishop was found dead in his office.

Let's also pray for the rescuers and aid people going in....they too will be in danger.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline bkg

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »
Tragic as it may be, it will be used as a distraction.... Be aware of what happens behind the curtains.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:37:40 AM »
Tragic as it may be, it will be used as a distraction.... Be aware of what happens behind the curtains.

never waste a good crisis

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »
How sad for them
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »
If I were mobilized for this I'd be happy to help.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »
That is so sad. My prayers for everyone in that area.

I posted this on my FB but this is a link if anyone wants to donate to the Hati earthquake relief fund. www.unicefusa.org
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:12:30 PM by SilverOrchid »

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »
This is a horrid tragedy - and it seems to be getting worse every time I read more about it. 

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 03:39:45 PM »
Its hard to imagine concrete becoming dust. They need to sue those concrete manufacturers.

All those government buildings collapsing though.... I can dream about that happening here, can't I?

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
Are you there God? it's me, Aaron.

I know you're super busy and all, what with the global warming and everything. But I was hoping I could put in a special request today. No, I'm not asking you to turn back time and spare the Haitians. I know it's all part of your divine plan. It's sad because I don't fully understand the plan, but that's O.K. I knew it was a faith based deal when I signed up.

Anyway.

About this asshat.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nraknWoes[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.breitbart.tv/they-have-been-cursed-pat-robertson-says-haiti-swore-a-pact-to-the-devil/[/youtube]

Could you smite this repressed Homo? He's been around for awhile, maybe his name has come up around the poker table. I'm not asking for much, maybe some lightning, or some sort of 2000000000 lb anvil dropping from the sky.

I'd settle for a Bigfoot abduction and rape if you could swing it.

But yeah, I'll head over to Church and light a candle, make a burnt offering, whatever pleases you Lord. I just thought you'd like to know the earthquake may have missed it's intended target.

Sincerely,
Aaron Burr
V.P. Research & Destruction  
EvilConservatives.org

(But I guess you knew that already.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:13:05 PM by Aaron Burr »

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 04:16:20 PM »
I don't think anyone likes Pat :p
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 04:25:29 PM »
He is a idiot and a huge embarssment.  I believe that he is the reason some might think Christians are these unfeeling morons. I never watch the 700 club and I never will.

Offline longview

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 05:57:33 PM »
He is a idiot and a huge embarssment.  I believe that he is the reason some might think Christians are these unfeeling morons. I never watch the 700 club and I never will.

You beat me to it, but it's worth seeing twice.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 06:30:20 PM »

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »
Godspeed. Regardless of the corrupt government, tens of thousands of innocent civilians need help.

Military Preps for Broader Haiti Relief Mission
By Donna Miles
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Jan. 13, 2010 – The aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson is headed toward earthquake-devastated Haiti and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow to provide airlift support for the disaster-response mission, the commander of U.S. Southern Command reported today.

Air Force Gen. Douglas Fraser, commander of U.S. Southern Command, takes a question during a Pentagon news conference on earthquake-relief efforts in Haiti, Jan. 13, 2010. DoD photo by R.D. Ward 
(Click photo for screen-resolution image);high-resolution image available.

Meanwhile, Air Force Gen. Douglas Fraser said, Southcom is “seriously looking” at deploying a large-deck amphibious ship with a 2,000-member Marine expeditionary unit to provide disaster response and, if required, to help maintain security.

Full Press Release from DoD

22nd MEU could deploy for earthquake relief
By Dan Lamothe and James K. Sanborn - Staff writers
Posted : Wednesday Jan 13, 2010 19:10:36 EST

The Pentagon is planning to send a Marine expeditionary unit to earthquake-ravaged Haiti as part of an extensive U.S. relief plan for the island nation, Defense Department officials said Wednesday.

While plans have not been finalized, the MEU would come from the East Coast, “probably out of North Carolina,” said Air Force Gen. Douglas Fraser, commander of U.S. Southern Command, which is based out of Miami and oversees U.S. military operations in the Caribbean Sea. Marine officials at the Pentagon told Marine Corps Times they have ruled out the 24th MEU, already scheduled to leave on a routine sea deployment next week, making the 22nd MEU the likely option.

The MEU, which typically includes 2,200 Marines and sailors, would likely arrive aboard a large-deck amphibious ship after the Navy aircraft carrier Carl Vinson, now steaming toward Haiti from off the coast of Virginia and expected to arrive Thursday, Fraser said.
Full Story from Marine Corps Times
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
It is hard to believe that buildings could just collapse like that :-(  Prayers for the entire country.   This is just a disaster on top of the persistent poverty there :-( Hopefully the international aid organizations will help them rebuild with building that can withstand future earthquakes.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »

This picture really got me.  This is just unbelievable.  :(

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 09:40:17 PM »
God Bless.  Is it too much to ask for that schmuck Robertson to be smoted???

Prayers up for the Haitians and the others affected. 

I know our system isn't the best, but at least we have building requirements.  I doubt Haiti does. 

I imagine they have a tough row to hoe.  4-5 months outside Hurricane season.  It doesn't look well for them one iota. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »
(Psst. Mrs.Tots. post #12)

Haiti, outside of Port Au Prince, will recover. The Dominican Republic might get a little antsy as refugees start heading across the border and seek civilization.

Haiti does have some building codes. Just not the kind of codes that mean much when you build everything out of concrete.

I'm sending my donations through Catholic Charities. They've been on the ground for years and really get the donations into the hands of the people ASAP.

Fug. This may take awhile. Only 4 paved airport runways.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 10:09:47 PM »
Haitian Earthquake Caught on Video

I cannot vouch with certainty about the veracity of this video yet.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:11:32 PM by ColonialMarine0431 »
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »
(Psst. Mrs.Tots. post #12)

Haiti, outside of Port Au Prince, will recover. The Dominican Republic might get a little antsy as refugees start heading across the border and seek civilization.

Man, talk about looking in the wrong place!!

Are these concrete buildings reinforced properly? Is this really cheap concrete?

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 10:27:52 PM »
What's wrong with the Dominican Republic? Besides the fact that they really don't like the Haitians (race).

And concrete, thick old concrete to keep the heat down, just isn't designed to do the lindy hop.

The Northridge quake in L.A. and the S.F. one really fugged' up the only super thick concrete structures there, I.E. the freeway.

CIA World Fact Book has more info on Haiti and the Dominican republic. For more information about the structural integrity of concrete consult your local library.