Author Topic: 7.0 Quake in Haiti  (Read 8516 times)

Offline ConservativeMobster

Re: 7.0 Quake in Haiti
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
I heard that FoxNation had a story on their site claiming that Obama has stated he will allow "45,000 Haitians to relocate to parts of FL"

I can't find the story  :banghead:

Anyone?

Also....my contribution will go to one organization, the Salvation Army.

ETA: Magically, I found it after posting the above  :thatsright:
It has been updated to report "not set in stone" ????

http://www.wftv.com/countybycounty/22242754/detail.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:43:00 AM by ConservativeMobster »
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »
What is that? More "anything for a vote" tactics? RULE OF LAW, WHAT a laugh the Dems are! Hope "Killer" Kennedy's "seat" goes "R"!

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2010, 12:13:47 PM »
I heard that FoxNation had a story on their site claiming that Obama has stated he will allow "45,000 Haitians to relocate to parts of FL"

You think they will stop at 45,000?

Offline ConservativeMobster

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
You think they will stop at 45,000?

Nope. I found it interesting that it stated they were thinking to send them to Orange county and the Tampa Bay area which were pretty much RED sections during the last election. Yeah, populate the locals with thankful immigrants needful of the government.
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
Does the Haiti Olympic Bobsled Team need a new set of goggles?

just kidding.

Twisted. But it made me chuckle.  :hyper:
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »
As I have mentioned, our church has a "sister" parish about 75 miles outside of Port-au-Prince.....

the other half went to early Mass this morning and the priest said that not only was the Archbishop of Haiti found dead in his office - as was reported on many news stations as a passing comment.....but also 100 Catholic priests have been killed.

At a time of such dire straits...when many Catholics want to see a priest's face....to know that 100 priests are also dead....it just heaps more onto the misery...

With more and more news coming out of Haiti.....it makes me wonder ....just where do they start to just begin to straighten out the country.

It is far beyond overwhelming there are no words to describe....

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:40:47 PM by debk »
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »
Nope. I found it interesting that it stated they were thinking to send them to Orange county and the Tampa Bay area which were pretty much RED sections during the last election. Yeah, populate the locals with thankful immigrants needful of the government.

This is going to get that Grayson idiot enough new voters to re-elect him. lol

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
Knoxville retailer to donate Kiffin shirts to Haiti earthquake recovery efforts

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Manager Mitzi Sherrill says the owners, Dan and Tona Burks, were hoping to turn a "negative into a positive" when they heard fans talk of burning and ripping up shirts with the former Volunteers coach's name or face on them in the wake of Kiffin's abrupt resignation.

heh...
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »
Now that IS a negative to a positive!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2010, 01:51:47 AM »
So I'm watching a relief truck surrounded by Haitians on CNN.  One loudmouthed genius in the crowd reads the packaging date on his MRE and starts yelling that they're being fed stale food.  Loudmouth thinks the food expired in 2008 and they're all being poisoned by the UN, so a couple of his thug friends start pushing and shoving the crowd to the point where the relief truck has to leave the area or get swamped by an angry crowd.

Way to go. :whatever:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2010, 02:11:46 AM »
So I'm watching a relief truck surrounded by Haitians on CNN.  One loudmouthed genius in the crowd reads the packaging date on his MRE and starts yelling that they're being fed stale food.  Loudmouth thinks the food expired in 2008 and they're all being poisoned by the UN, so a couple of his thug friends start pushing and shoving the crowd to the point where the relief truck has to leave the area or get swamped by an angry crowd.
2008 is the package date. 2010 is due date. idiots.

Not only that but if I am truly in that situation, I will take as much People Chow as they'll give me.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2010, 06:14:02 AM »
2008 is the package date. 2010 is due date. idiots.

Not only that but if I am truly in that situation, I will take as much People Chow as they'll give me.

Heck FGL, in that situation I would be happy to get Puppy Chow

It just seems to keep getting worse, I had to turn off Fox as the possibilities of even worse to come kept coming from the shell shocked reporters.

Yup, as I write news about rescue workers fired upon last night, much food and water that cannot be delivered for lots of reasons, I wonder about the Anti-Government thugs  and what they are going to do.    Will there be a civil war?

This may give historians a glimpse into the past and why intire civilisations disappeared.   

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
Heck FGL, in that situation I would be happy to get Puppy Chow

It just seems to keep getting worse, I had to turn off Fox as the possibilities of even worse to come kept coming from the shell shocked reporters.

Yup, as I write news about rescue workers fired upon last night, much food and water that cannot be delivered for lots of reasons, I wonder about the Anti-Government thugs  and what they are going to do.    Will there be a civil war?

This may give historians a glimpse into the past and why intire civilisations disappeared.   

If it got bad enough I'd eat out of the trash. These people are so entitled they'll reject food they think may be expired? Are they kidding?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2010, 06:43:47 AM »
If it got bad enough I'd eat out of the trash. These people are so entitled they'll reject food they think may be expired? Are they kidding?

I saw that too--poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere and they're throwing food away because they're too ignorant to read a label.  Interesting clothing a lot of them were wearing, however.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2010, 09:25:19 AM »
I saw that too--poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere and they're throwing food away because they're too ignorant to read a label.  Interesting clothing a lot of them were wearing, however.

Sparky, I just spoke with my son who has gone into Haiti 3 times for vacation. His take on the country is interesting, first time he and family went on a Cruse the stop in Haiti was canceled as too dangerous due to civil war. This was early 1990's.   Since then they have managed to get to visit the country but never to the area of the quake.  As far as he knows there were no tours to that area.

The people in the Port town were very nice he recounts, friendly and polite. Poorest people he has yet to see---- this from a kid that has seen some of the poorest Ghettos in this country.

From what he has seen in Haiti at the wealthiest town it is difficult to believe humans can survive being much poorer.  At one point he had a pocket full of those presidential dollar coins and no one would accept them, they thought it was fake money.

He would go back in a heart beat to visit again, he and wife were fascinated with the VOODOO culture.  It seems to be everwhere.  He found a vendor that made dolls to order, you give him a face photo and he prints the face onto a doll and gives you pins and instructions on how to poke them.    These people are Catholic and have intergrated the faith of their ancestors slaves from Yoruba in Africa.   This I knew but did not think it so belanent---------New Orleans now has much the same thing but it is not in your face.

Sparky you mentioned the clothing of the survivors, did you see someone wearing snow shoes.?

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:39 AM »
The quake was in Port-au-Prince--the CAPITAL.  If you can't get there on a cruise...

And FWIW, I'd love to know what cruiseline schedules a stop in Port-au-Prince, just to avoid them.  Royal Caribbean has a stop in Haiti, but at it's own private island, Labadee.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2010, 10:28:08 AM »
The quake was in Port-au-Prince--the CAPITAL.  If you can't get there on a cruise...

And FWIW, I'd love to know what cruiseline schedules a stop in Port-au-Prince, just to avoid them.  Royal Caribbean has a stop in Haiti, but at it's own private island, Labadee.

That's the stop Labadee, I could not remember the name of that Port.   Now I was not aware that Labadee was an island much less a Private Island.     By Private, do you mean the island is owned by some big time money person.?    Didn't Marlen Brando buy an island in the South Pacific.?

Buy the way, why has not the President of Haiti been all over the news.?     

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
I stand corrected--the town is not privately-owned, but the beach is a private one, where RC anchors off and ferries in tourists.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
Sparky, I just spoke with my son who has gone into Haiti 3 times for vacation. His take on the country is interesting, first time he and family went on a Cruse the stop in Haiti was canceled as too dangerous due to civil war. This was early 1990's.   Since then they have managed to get to visit the country but never to the area of the quake.  As far as he knows there were no tours to that area.

You stayed on topic, posted a coherent and very good post.

What have you done with the real Vesta?? lol.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
You stayed on topic, posted a coherent and very good post.

What have you done with the real Vesta?? lol.

Nope! I ain't falling for it. Nope nope nope. I'll continue to scroll past any Vestanumbers posts. I'm not that smart to start with and her posts take away brain cells with every straining attempt to muddle through one. :-)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »
 :rotf:

Did you see any Hatians wearing snow shoes?

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »
What a tragedy for Haiti. Quite frankly, I think the death toll could probably exceed the Indian Ocean Tsunami. Prayers and thoughts to the Haitians.  :( :bawl:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »
What a tragedy for Haiti. Quite frankly, I think the death toll could probably exceed the Indian Ocean Tsunami. Prayers and thoughts to the Haitians.  :( :bawl:

Proportionally...I don't think there's any question that it will.

I saw a Fox report about an hour or so ago... I thought it was live though it may have been a rerun....about an orphanage with children as young as 3 days - which was after the quake- they are very very desperate for supplies.

The Fox reporter said that news people, military, US embassy, UN workers, other rescue workers....are all aware of this orphanage. Several of the children have already been adopted by American families and were awaiting travel to come to the States when the earthquake happened.

Jonathan Hunt, the reporter, said that twice the orphanage people - the few who have stayed to take care of the children - have had to fend off looters.

When Hunt and his crew found them this morning....they were singing hymns of thanks. When he asked the workers why....they told him because they were alive.

*sniff*

This is such an overwhelming task to search and rescue, feed, bury the dead, help the injured, clean-up.....and so far...there does not seem to be a "plan"... :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »

Proportionally...I don't think there's any question that it will.

I saw a Fox report about an hour or so ago... I thought it was live though it may have been a rerun....about an orphanage with children as young as 3 days - which was after the quake- they are very very desperate for supplies.
*sniff*
This is such an overwhelming task to search and rescue, feed, bury the dead, help the injured, clean-up.....and so far...there does not seem to be a "plan"... :(

I saw a story about an old folks home with 85 people who were "going to die" about a mile from the airport where all of the aid is coming in.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2010, 03:16:57 PM »
I saw a story about an old folks home with 85 people who were "going to die" about a mile from the airport where all of the aid is coming in.

I saw a thing about it on the scroll on the bottom of the screen on Fox.

According to Fox...it's a hospice. I know it sounds cold....but maybe those getting the aid out, do not feel that a hospice is a priority.

Having had family members and friends in hospice in 3 different states....people don't go into hospice care unless they have less than 2 months. I'm not talking about the people who have hospice care come to their homes, but the hospice facilities connected with hospitals. The ones I know didn't last longer than 2 weeks.