Author Topic: DUmmies Love Walmart, not.  (Read 1664 times)

Offline thundley4

DUmmies Love Walmart, not.
« on: October 25, 2009, 06:50:29 AM »
oe Fields (1000+ posts)             Sat Oct-24-09 10:16 PM
Original message
going into a WalMart is offensive enough to my senses, (necessary)
but having to walk in and see Glenn Beck's square roll of toilet paper prominently displayed as you walk in just makes me wretch.

I took every copy and hid them. One person saw what I was doing and grinned.
  http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6850485

Last time I was in Walmart, Beck's book was at #1 or 2 on their best seller list. That must really grate on DUmmies.

lib2DaBone   (1000+ posts)           Sat Oct-24-09 10:34 PM
Response to Original message
1. So true... walking into Wal-Mart is a negative....

I have been shopping at Wal-Mart Grocery.

I hate it. I hate the brain-dead clerks, I hate the warehouse atmosphere. I hate the people that shop at Wal-Mart

Yet, I am there. Because I am unemployed and I can not afford groceries.

Our country is so ****ed up.. is there any turning back?

We have a chance to start turning back in 2010. :)

cbdo2007 (722 posts)           Sat Oct-24-09 11:14 PM
Response to Reply #6
21. I don't get the people who are negative on Walmart.

Walmart provides more affordable products to more people in the United States than any other store and they employ more people than any other company.

True, like with any company they could do *better* regarding some things, but I don't think I could ever say I hated Walmart.

Really, imagine if there was no Walmart? More low income families shop at Walmart than any other store in the country. They literally keep millions and millions of people alive with their value, services, jobs, etc.
They are non-UNION, that is reason enough to hate them. Get with the program, DUmmie.

Sal Minella   (1000+ posts)           Sat Oct-24-09 11:30 PM
Response to Reply #21
26. I loathe and despise Wal-Mart for all the now-blank store-fronts they caused

in my little town and in the little towns around me. Many people were making good livings at these stores, and now all the money goes to Bentonville, Arkansas, to make the very richest even richer, while the Wal-Mart management continues to bust the kneecaps of anyone who tries to unionize the peons who have to work there because there's nowhere else left to work.

Does that make my feelings clear?
You'll see many more busted kneecaps if the card check bill gets passed, but that's okay since it will be unions doing it, right?

Stargazer09   (467 posts)             Sun Oct-25-09 12:20 AM
Response to Reply #39
46. Our local Wal-Mart moved a mile away

Left the old store to become a vacant eyesore, and all of the businesses nearby are struggling.

They literally built a brand new store and wrote off the old one. Not a good way to help the local economy, in my opinion.
Our local Walmart is in an adjacent small town where taxes are lower for them and sales taxes are lower for their customers.

nadinbrzezinski   (1000+ posts)             Sat Oct-24-09 11:42 PM
Response to Reply #21
35. You do know that many of Walmart Employees CANNOT afford to shop

there?

You read right. They cannot shop there... because they are not paid enough to afford Wally World?

If you like a place that treats their employees that badly, by all means... go for it.

Oh and that is the tip of the iceberg with Wally World
Right, then where do they shop, the higher priced, locally owned stores? Or do they just eat mud, sticks and grass?  It has been shown time and again, that Walmart is competitive in both pay and benefits with other retailers.  They just aren't unionized, which actually translates to better pay and benefits, since employees aren't forking money over to unions.

If DUmmies hate Walmart so much, then why do we have photographic evidence of so many of them shopping there?

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: DUmmies Love Walmart, not.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:01:04 AM »
If DUmmies hate Walmart so much, then why do we have photographic evidence of so many of them shopping there?
Actually those are the blue collar clingers DUmmies despise...all the while acting befuddled and confused when those clingers reject the well-intentioned utopias being centrally-planned and micro-managed for them.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:05:29 AM »
 :bs:   They all shop there.  They have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h those unearned dollars.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 07:23:23 AM »
:bs:   They all shop there.  They have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h those unearned dollars.

I try and avoid Walmart near the first of each month.  It is almost as bad as as it is 2 days before Christmas.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:00:47 AM »
I try and avoid Walmart near the first of each month.  It is almost as bad as as it is 2 days before Christmas.

And the bank.
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Chump

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:28:33 AM »
OK, you hate Wal-Mart, but you shop there because you have to...

Run that around in your head, DUmmies.  You're claim you don't have the money to shop where you'd ostensibly prefer, so you're forced to shop at a store that offers products you need at a price you can afford...

This special sort of stupid - railing against a company that provides precisely what they need at a good value - should be physically painful.

Until you can say, "I don't ever shop at Wal-Mart.  I make tough decisions, go without, and drive farther so I don't spend money at that store," just shut the **** up and get over yourselves, please.

As an aside, I don't shop at Wal-Mart, for a plethora of reasons.  That is all.  No railing against the rich, no invoking evil, no bitching about the poor workers being paid less than I think they should for a job I know nothing about.  I just don't shop there, and I try not to be an annoying, self-righteous douchebag about it.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 09:40:06 AM »
OK, you hate Wal-Mart, but you shop there because you have to...

Run that around in your head, DUmmies.  You're claim you don't have the money to shop where you'd ostensibly prefer, so you're forced to shop at a store that offers products you need at a price you can afford...

This special sort of stupid - railing against a company that provides precisely what they need at a good value - should be physically painful.

Until you can say, "I don't ever shop at Wal-Mart.  I make tough decisions, go without, and drive farther so I don't spend money at that store," just shut the **** up and get over yourselves, please.

As an aside, I don't shop at Wal-Mart, for a plethora of reasons.  That is all.  No railing against the rich, no invoking evil, no bitching about the poor workers being paid less than I think they should for a job I know nothing about.  I just don't shop there, and I try not to be an annoying, self-righteous douchebag about it.

Then there is folk like me who thinks if I can't buy it at Walmart then I must not need it. 

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 09:45:14 AM »
I have 3 Walmarts within a 30 minute drive. Everything else is at least an hour away. All my town has is the Post Office and a taco stand.
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 10:00:12 AM »
I have 3 Walmarts within a 30 minute drive. Everything else is at least an hour away. All my town has is the Post Office and a taco stand.

I get my tacos at Walmart.   :p

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »
Kmart and Target are both close than Walmart, but I still prefer going to Walmart. 

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 10:09:06 AM »
I get my tacos at Walmart.   :p

This place has the bestest taquitos in 2 counties.  :drool:
    - Charlton Heston

Offline ScubaGuy

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 10:17:28 AM »
Sal Minella   (1000+ posts)           Sat Oct-24-09 11:30 PM
Response to Reply #21
26. I loathe and despise Wal-Mart for all the now-blank store-fronts they caused

in my little town and in the little towns around me. Many people were making good livings at these stores, and now all the money goes to Bentonville, Arkansas, to make the very richest even richer, while the Wal-Mart management continues to bust the kneecaps of anyone who tries to unionize the peons who have to work there because there's nowhere else left to work.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in "big box central".  Within a few miles of here I have Home Depot, Lowes, Super-Wallmart, Super Target, Two Lowes Foods, Two Large Food Lions and Kroger.  
Meanwhile the downtown shops are all still there and in fact a few new ones have just opened.  

The only casualties from the influx of the super mega stores that I've noticed were an Ace Hardware that was a broken down mess that never had anything in stock and a Win Dixie that from the day they opened never drew much of a crowd.

I shop at almost all of them and they each appear to cater to a specific demographic.  The little bait and tackle shop is only a few miles away from the new Dicks sporting goods shop.  He's staying in business by offering the higher end equipment along with the advice of a professional angler.  I can go in there and he'll tell (and sell) me what I should be using based upon the time of year, weather conditions and what I'm fishing for.  

The downtown general store is like an old time general store.  They have jars of candy and all kinds of unique locally produced crafts and foods.

I haven't seen their books but they all appear to be doing good business.  They're successfully staying in business by catering to their specific niche and offering service and advice that the big boxes can't offer, but you do have to pay for that additional service.  

My guess is that your downtown shops knew they had a captive audience and were selling the same crap you get a Wall Mart and were ripping you off.

25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 10:49:20 AM »
Some developers knocked down a small local mall in the area that had been open for decades, but eventually went downhill and wasn't doing any business.  It was replaced with a Lowe's.  They seem to be doing well and its brought in more traffic to the surrounding businesses (mostly restaurants).

Personally, I hate Lowe's and Home Despot... I go out of my way to the old-fashioned Ace Hardware or Harbor Freight stores a little further away because I have a better chance of finding what I actually need.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
oe Fields (1000+ posts)             Sat Oct-24-09 10:16 PM
just makes me wretch.

Of course, DUmmies are forever spelling and vocabulary challenged, but this particular stupid DUmmy stumble made me think. I believe nearly every time I've heard about a "wretch", he's worked in the publishing business, and has been referred to as "ink-stained". I think all wretches must be ink-stained.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 01:20:24 PM »
Seriously, how can they justify railing against a business that apparently makes it possible for them to afford necessities  :whatever:  That is obviously how Wal-mart is staying in business. 

If they are so opposed to Walmart, then they should not shop there, end of story. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »
Sal Minella   (1000+ posts)           Sat Oct-24-09 11:30 PM
Response to Reply #21

When Walmart came here they didn't cause any thing to close;however, the dems taking congress in 2006 has caused a ton of places to close.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
When Walmart came here they didn't cause any thing to close;however, the dems taking congress in 2006 has caused a ton of places to close.

Walmart caused other businesses to move in this area.  Subway was one we didn't have, and although I am not a regular customer, they are doing great.  It's a "mom & pop" too.  It's a franchise. 

The Little Goons think only retail spots with names like "Gus & Barbara's Dress & Tackle Shoppe" count as a "mom & pop".  It strains their pea-brains to understand most of these corporate places they waste their phony hate upon are also individually owned and operated.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 01:59:51 PM »
In my town we somehow still have an old fashion pharmacy with the lunch counter and chocolate shakes. I'm not sure how, we're big box land here. Irving TX.

I really don't know how it survives. Its a cool spot though.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 02:08:49 PM »
Ugh.  I don't mind Walmart, but I tell ya, I get mad at Walmart before I get in the Walmart.  All the people, all the freaking bad parking jobs.  And ALL the people!  If I HAVE to go, I go at 7:00 am.  I shop at a local hardware store here, Elliotts.  All the ACE's have closed. 

I really have an aversion to being in any big store with tons of people and two lanes open.  I really hate shopping.  I hate parking lots. 

I only shop first thing in the am.  If it hasn't been done by 11, I ain't doing it.  Used to be, you just did your shopping when the Cowboys were playing, but there has been a shift in that logic.  I can't tell a difference in the population. 

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 10:07:55 AM »
Stargazer09   (467 posts)             Sun Oct-25-09 12:20 AM
Response to Reply #39

Left the old store to become a vacant eyesore, and all of the businesses nearby are struggling.

They literally built a brand new store and wrote off the old one. Not a good way to help the local economy, in my opinion.

Our local Walmart went Super a half-mile from their original location.  Their old building was bought by Runnings (a fleet and farm store) so they could expand.

Trust me, DUmmies.  Walmart does care about local economies despite your best efforts to smear them otherwise.  If a local economy goes bad, Walmart is going to suffer, too.  Seriously, study economics a little before you ignorantly mouth off again about the "big, bad, evil Walmart."

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 01:53:16 PM »

You should try working as an overnight cashier at Walmart on the first of the month....

Dozens and dozens of people with carts piled to overflowing cruising just behind the checkouts, waiting for midnight on the first of the month....

That's when their EBT cards (think high-tech food stamps) automatically renew....

Another cashier and myself took in over $10,000 one month from Midnight to 6:00am, with $7,000 of that before 2:00am....

90% of it was EBT cards....

Our tax dollars at work....   :banghead:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 01:58:56 PM »
Stargazer09   (467 posts)             Sun Oct-25-09 12:20 AM
Response to Reply #39

The local Walmart here built a new store, and sold the old one to Magic-Mart....

Local economy is doing GREAT, thanks to local Republican leadership, and soon Republican state leadership....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 02:02:20 PM »
Our local Walmart went Super a half-mile from their original location.  Their old building was bought by Runnings (a fleet and farm store) so they could expand.

Trust me, DUmmies.  Walmart does care about local economies despite your best efforts to smear them otherwise.  If a local economy goes bad, Walmart is going to suffer, too.  Seriously, study economics a little before you ignorantly mouth off again about the "big, bad, evil Walmart."

DUmmies ignore the gov factor as well in 'vacant, eyesores'. How many city councils way too big for their britches and full of power bravado drive away new businesses to the location because of unreasonable expectations? They've been building a Walgreens here in my small berg for a YEAR now. It was supposed to open in teh spring and then in October and as of this date, it is still waiting to open, finished, but waiting to open. My mother is the nosy type and asked around and it turns out our town is permit hell and raises the bar constantly when a builder is in here. The CITY has delayed the Walgreens opening with this constant bar moving and hoop jumping. They've many times lost tax revenue to surrounding bergs because of their idiocy. I wonder how many 'eye sore' old Walmarts have met similar fates?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »
The local Walmart here built a new store, and sold the old one to Magic-Mart....

Local economy is doing GREAT, thanks to local Republican leadership, and soon Republican state leadership....

QUIET! THOU SHALT NOT SPEAK TRUTH-TO-DUMMIES!!!!!!
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »

QUIET! THOU SHALT NOT SPEAK TRUTH-TO-DUMMIES!!!!!!

OH, DAMN!  PLEASE, FORGIVE ME!   :thatsright: