Author Topic: The Official: Iranian Revolution Thread  (Read 7905 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: The Official: Iranian Revolution Thread
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2009, 11:56:23 AM »
Mousavi isn't giving up:

Defeated Iranian presidential candidate Mirhossein Mousavi today said the new government of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was "illegitimate," in a statement posted on his website.

"It is our historical responsibility to continue our protests and not to abandon our efforts to preserve the nation's rights," he said, two days after Iran's top legislative body confirmed Ahmadinejad's election victory.

Mousavi, who has repeatedly said the June 12 vote was rigged, said he would join a planned association of leading figures which would follow up people's rights and "ignored votes" in the election.

Its demands would include "halting security and military confrontation with the election, returning the country to a natural political atmosphere, reforming the election law to prevent vote rigging, securing freedom of holding rallies and freedom of press," the statement said.

Mousavi also called on the authorities to release detained "children of the revolution," in reference to scores of leading reformists arrested since the disputed poll, and said he could not compromise regarding people's rights.

He called for a lifting of a ban on some moderate newspapers and websites.

The authorities reject opposition charges of vote rigging.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/mousavi-declares-iran-government-illegitimate-1727247.html

Huevos grande.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2009, 01:18:31 AM »
6 Mousavi supporters reportedly hanged
As the Iranian authorities warned the opposition on Tuesday that they would tolerate no further protests over the disputed June 12 presidential elections, a report emerged of the hangings of six supporters of defeated candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi.

Speaking after Iran's top legislative body upheld the election victory of incumbent Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, sources in Iran told this reporter in a telephone interview that the hangings took place in the holy city of Mashhad on Monday. There was no independent confirmation of the report.

On Monday, witnesses said thousands of policemen and Basij militiamen carrying batons were deployed in Teheran's main squares to prevent any recurrence of the opposition protests. Drivers who so much as shouted "Allahu Akbar" or beeped their horns had their windows smashed by the Basiji and riot police.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1246296541275&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2009, 01:32:42 AM »
I am left to wonder as to his motive:

A) he's simply indecisive, preferring to hedge rather than take a stance in case his decision later be seen as the wrong one

B) he sees the US as the source of many of the world's ills and as such "owed" to the regime a chance to forgive the US

C) he's a narcissist and those damned protesters are ruining his place in history as the man that reconciled with a former enemy

or D) he realizes that Iran is a sovereign nation, and that it's better to stay out of the internal political upheaval of a sovereign nation.
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2009, 07:52:49 AM »
or D) he realizes that Iran is a sovereign nation, and that it's better to stay out of the internal political upheaval of a sovereign nation, despite the growing and credible threat to Israel and the rest of the Middle East, thereby displaying his own incredible lack of foreign policy and strategic thinking.

Fixed.

You're welcome, John.  :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »
or D) he realizes that Iran is a sovereign nation, and that it's better to stay out of the internal political upheaval of a sovereign nation.

I guess Honduras isn't a sovereign nation, because he has sure spoken out against the legal removal of the president there.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2009, 11:04:01 PM »
I guess Honduras isn't a sovereign nation, because he has sure spoken out against the legal removal of the president there.

then  he is wrong in that regard

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2009, 11:04:35 PM »
Fixed.

You're welcome, John.  :whatever:

let israel take care of any "credible threats" to itself.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2009, 11:12:53 PM »

I'm sure they will, comrade.  Whether they have Lord Ø's blessing or not.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bluegrassman

• I make Limbaugh look like a flamin' liberal!
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • Made In America (Tested In Japan)
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2009, 12:03:31 AM »
Agreed. I believe Israel is quite capable. It will be good for them to stay their course in spite of little Barry's objections.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2009, 05:36:48 AM »

When we're talking nukes, it's a whole new ball game. And yes, D6 is correct. They can and will take care of themselves, especially in light of the fact that Lord Zero has thrown Israel under the bus.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2009, 06:14:47 AM »
Horse shit

He had plenty to say about Israeli settlements in the West Bank and he is giving material support to Zelaya.

Offline Salaam

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2009, 09:36:17 AM »
I don't see why it's hard to see the reason behind the differences on the stances between Iran and Honduras...

Anything said in the negative against Iran real or perceived could have national security and foreign policy impacts in the negative. 

Anything said about Honduras?  Seriously, like "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson used to say on WWE Raw "It doesn't matter..." WTH Honduras thinks.....

Iran can impact our mission(s) in the ME.

Honduras...well, not so much.... :)
2:177 It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah.fearing.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2009, 09:58:32 AM »
Horse shit

He had plenty to say about Israeli settlements in the West Bank and he is giving material support to Zelaya.

then, as i said, he was wrong in doing that.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2009, 10:31:18 AM »
I don't see why it's hard to see the reason behind the differences on the stances between Iran and Honduras...

Anything said in the negative against Iran real or perceived could have national security and foreign policy impacts in the negative. 

Anything said about Honduras?  Seriously, like "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson used to say on WWE Raw "It doesn't matter..." WTH Honduras thinks.....

Iran can impact our mission(s) in the ME.

Honduras...well, not so much.... :)

Um yeah. How many times have liberals decried President Bush's foreign policy, because they claimed he did only what was best for this country, and not for the people in other countries?

Besides if it's a matter of whether Honduras has any effect on the US, then he could have stayed neutral and not backed the unconstitutional moves made by Zelaya to stay stay in power.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »
then, as i said, he was wrong in doing that.
About Honduras, you did but I also pointed out his morally equivocating lopsided approach to Israel.

In fact, I defy anyone to name a principled stance Obama has made on anything he's done in the last 7 months if not his entire misbegotten political career.

To review:
Rev Wright
Bill Ayers
Saul Alinsky
Gitmo
Wiretaps
State Secrets
Detention of terror suspects
Iraq
Iran
Honduras
Gov't spending
taxes only on $250k +
DADT
Transparency
De-politicizing the DOJ

What has Obama ever done to make you think he has a single principled bone in his body?

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »
About Honduras, you did but I also pointed out his morally equivocating lopsided approach to Israel.

In fact, I defy anyone to name a principled stance Obama has made on anything he's done in the last 7 months if not his entire misbegotten political career.

To review:
Rev Wright
Bill Ayers
Saul Alinsky
Gitmo
Wiretaps
State Secrets
Detention of terror suspects
Iraq
Iran
Honduras
Gov't spending
taxes only on $250k +
DADT
Transparency
De-politicizing the DOJ

What has Obama ever done to make you think he has a single principled bone in his body?

staying out of the upheaval in iran.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2009, 02:29:08 PM »
staying out of the upheaval in iran.
So the man has been two-faced and duplicitous about EVERY facet of his career but on this one thing you think he finally found a modicum of sincerity.

Someone can lie and deceive you 98% of the time but so long as 2% of the time its answer you want to hear you'll buy into that 2%.

Of course nevermind the fact that this "upheaval" is the last best opportunity to keep a bunch of genocidal zealots with still wet American blood on their hands from obtaining nuclear weapons short of war. Whats really important is that we leave them alone because--gosh darn--it they do the same because Not-Bush is in office.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
So the man has been two-faced and duplicitous about EVERY facet of his career but on this one thing you think he finally found a modicum of sincerity.

Someone can lie and deceive you 98% of the time but so long as 2% of the time its answer you want to hear you'll buy into that 2%.

Of course nevermind the fact that this "upheaval" is the last best opportunity to keep a bunch of genocidal zealots with still wet American blood on their hands from obtaining nuclear weapons short of war. Whats really important is that we leave them alone because--gosh darn--it they do the same because Not-Bush is in office.

no, that's not what i'm saying at all.  I'm saying that not interfering in another nation's political process is a good thing.  I know, we should just get people we like in power there, after all, there is a history of success with that idea in Iran.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »
no, that's not what i'm saying at all.  I'm saying that not interfering in another nation's political process is a good thing.  I know, we should just get people we like in power there, after all, there is a history of success with that idea in Iran.

And I suppose that anti-Semitism has nothing to do with 0Bama's hands off approach?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
horse shit II

For starters I have zero sense of guilt over Operation: Ajax. Anyone that says we should have allowed a Soviet puppet regime to have access the Persian Gulf is manifestly certifiable. Operation: Ajax was the prevention of WW3.

Nor do I accept the notion that the Iranian puppet of the politburo was "democratically elected" because even if the votes were legit they would have been the last legit votes ever allowed...because Iran would be a Soviet. It never ceases to amaze me how people who claim to speak in the voice of personal liberty always make excuses for systems that are bult upon one man-one vote-one time.

Nor do I feel sorry about the Shah because for all his evils he would have been politically pliable. Yes, a bastard. Yes, our bastard. But our bastards dance on our strings and genuine reform could have been affected. All Carter did was retard those reforms a generation or two with an emphasis on "retard".

Nor is the notion that leaving Iran alone today the cure because these shitbags are genocidal zealots with still-wet American blood on their hands seeking to obtain nuclear weapons.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »
horse shit II

For starters I have zero sense of guilt over Operation: Ajax. Anyone that says we should have allowed a Soviet puppet regime to have access the Persian Gulf is manifestly certifiable. Operation: Ajax was the prevention of WW3.

Nor do I accept the notion that the Iranian puppet of the politburo was "democratically elected" because even if the votes were legit they would have been the last legit votes ever allowed...because Iran would be a Soviet. It never ceases to amaze me how people who claim to speak in the voice of personal liberty always make excuses for systems that are bult upon one man-one vote-one time.

Nor do I feel sorry about the Shah because for all his evils he would have been politically pliable. Yes, a bastard. Yes, our bastard. But our bastards dance on our strings and genuine reform could have been affected. All Carter did was retard those reforms a generation or two with an emphasis on "retard".

Nor is the notion that leaving Iran alone today the cure because these shitbags are genocidal zealots with still-wet American blood on their hands seeking to obtain nuclear weapons.

lol.  of course you don't accept it.  Anyone that was elected that didn't agree with the US clearly should be removed from power and replaced with someone that likes us, no matter what the people of that country actually want.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2009, 03:08:37 PM »
lol.  of course you don't accept it.  Anyone that was elected that didn't agree with the US clearly should be removed from power and replaced with someone that likes us, no matter what the people of that country actually want.
I never doubted that you'd approve of a Soviet client state in Iran.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I never doubted that you'd approve of a Soviet client state in Iran.

how exactly was it a soviet client state?

And i never doubted that you coudn't care less about the sovereignty of other nations, or the will of their people when electing their own leaders.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »
how exactly was it a soviet client state?
You calling Winston Churchill a liar?

And i never doubted that you coudn't care less about the sovereignty of other nations, or the will of their people when electing their own leaders.
Let's see...

...the very nature of this thread is: the genocidal zealots will American blood on their hands from Iraq who are seeking nuclear weapons have blatantly stolen an election leading to a popular uprising wherein the people are demanding their rights.

You do not support that uprising...

...but you accuse me of not endorsing the will of the people.

Nevermind your moral equivocations spoken in tones of breathless moralizing the dissonant self-contradiction alone is amazing to behold.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
You calling Winston Churchill a liar?
Let's see...

...the very nature of this thread is: the genocidal zealots will American blood on their hands from Iraq who are seeking nuclear weapons have blatantly stolen an election leading to a popular uprising wherein the people are demanding their rights.

You do not support that uprising...

...but you accuse me of not endorsing the will of the people.

Nevermind your moral equivocations spoken in tones of breathless moralizing the dissonant self-contradiction alone is amazing to behold.

absolutely.  He wanted the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company back in Iran. 

And no, I support no uprising, and I support no action their government takes, since it's simply not up to me or any American to decide what happens in Iran.  Of course, its contradiction because you don't agree with it.  What a shocking statement from you.