Author Topic: The Official: Iranian Revolution Thread  (Read 7907 times)

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
Re: The Official: Iranian Revolution Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 10:30:25 AM »
Can someone ban this guy
What a wanker ::)
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 10:44:52 AM »
Can someone ban this guy

Don't worry...you're getting there DUmmie.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 11:22:27 AM »
Love Me is from the DU faggot forum. He just said he has music videos that can brief us on genocide on another thread.

Hey! Gay boy! Gore Lost and there is no comparison with Iran.   
What is his DU name? LoveMe isn't in the members list over there!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 12:14:46 PM »
Amazing that despite the Net crackdown the videos that are still getting out there onto YouTube, Twitter, etc.  Been watching FNC with Dad this morning and commenting on it.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lanie

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
:fuelfire: :fuelfire: This is exactly like if the Gore supporters where to have started fires and then blamed bush for stealing the ellection.

I think one reason it didn't happen is because despite the disagreements, we have a truly wonderful country. The President of Iran is a sociopath. I don't know if Mousavi will be much better, but I'm converted to ABA. It's time that Iran lost its theocracy. I'm rooting for this one.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 01:02:35 PM »
I think one reason it didn't happen is because despite the disagreements, we have a truly wonderful country. The President of Iran is a sociopath. I don't know if Mousavi will be much better, but I'm converted to ABA. It's time that Iran lost its theocracy. I'm rooting for this one.
Ya don't like dinner jackets? :tongue:
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 05:01:35 PM »
Struggle among Iran's clerics bursts into the open

TEHRAN, Iran – A backstage struggle among Iran's ruling clerics burst into the open Sunday when the government said it had arrested the daughter and other relatives of an ayatollah who is one of the country's most powerful men.

Tehran's streets fell mostly quiet for the first time since a bitterly disputed June 12 presidential election, but cries of "God is great!" echoed again from rooftops after dark, a sign of seething anger at a government crackdown that peaked with at least 10 protesters' deaths Saturday.

The killings drove the official death toll to at least 17 after a week of massive street demonstrations by protesters who say hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stole his re-election win. But searing images posted online — including gruesome video purporting to show the fatal shooting of a teenage girl — hinted the true toll may be higher.

Police and the feared Basij militia swarmed the streets of Tehran to prevent more protests and the government intensified a crackdown on independent media — expelling a BBC correspondent, suspending the Dubai-based network Al-Arabiya and detaining at least two local journalists for U.S. magazines.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090621/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iran_election
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »
Actually, I think that 0bama is doing the right thing, for the moment. This isn't OUR fight. They need to get this sorted out on their own. However, we, as a country, need to support the Iranian Freedom fighters.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
It's not going to be a "Revolution" unless the demonstrators start shooting, and some armed part of the Iranian force structure starts supporting them.  Until that happens it's just a bunch of pissed-off rock-throwers whose rage will peter out or be crushed when the evil little HMFIC gets tired of waiting for them to wear themselves out.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »
It's not going to be a "Revolution" unless the demonstrators start shooting, and some armed part of the Iranian force structure starts supporting them.  Until that happens it's just a bunch of pissed-off rock-throwers whose rage will peter out or be crushed when the evil little HMFIC gets tired of waiting for them to wear themselves out.

I have a question. It was brought up elsewhere that if we get involved, then it will look like we pushed for this type of government and will be used to justify getting rid of the reformers later. OTOH, I think it's pretty obvious it's not about what we want. Do you think it would be good if we got involved?
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 09:14:33 PM »
I have a question. It was brought up elsewhere that if we get involved, then it will look like we pushed for this type of government and will be used to justify getting rid of the reformers later. OTOH, I think it's pretty obvious it's not about what we want. Do you think it would be good if we got involved?

In the past, or so it's been reported.  That political resistance movements were squashed by the Iranian people, not the government, due to mere suspected tendrils of American influence.

While we should certainly offer supportive prayers and words of encouragement.  I'm quite hesitant, to believe we should do any more, just yet.  At least as the election protests stand now.  I believe the Obama administration feels the same way.

What does give me pause though, is that we're seeing so much of the protests feed... directed at us.  Seeing so many Iranian street protest signs in English, really leads me to believe that they might be more open to Western help than in the past.   

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 09:44:02 PM »

Remember the words of that great American icon of the Democrats, liberals, and primitives, John Kennedy, about how it is our responsibility to ".....bear any burden, pay any price....." so that the oppressed of the world could enjoy the blessings and fruits of freedom and liberty.

For some reason, when George Bush tried doing exactly that, the Democrats, liberals, and primitives most conveniently forgot the words of their icon.

If America's going to spend money like a bunch of drunken sailors, I think investing in overthrowing tyrannies beats investing in "free medical care for all."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 11:20:51 PM »
Depends on what you mean by "get involved".

We did wonders in Serbia without doing anything more than feeding the oppositon printing presses, PDA's etc. It's been mentioned Obama should at least have the stones to open alternate satellite channels to the oppostion to aid their commo.

If we want more directly indirect action we have people that can feed weapons and training to the opposition....they're called US Army Special Forces and overthrowing governments through use of indigenous forces is what they do. And they've already been operating in Iran for sometime counter-punching Iranian commandoes that were aiding Mookie.

On a different note:

Protesters send police into running retreat-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/iran/2009/06/090621_ag_street_clashes.shtml

It is an over-awing thing to watch a battle waver then sudenly turn. That breakpoint moment when both parties feel the rout is inevitable. The one side fless the other side pursues.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
In the past, or so it's been reported.  That political resistance movements were squashed by the Iranian people, not the government, due to mere suspected tendrils of American influence.

While we should certainly offer supportive prayers and words of encouragement.  I'm quite hesitant, to believe we should do any more, just yet.  At least as the election protests stand now.  I believe the Obama administration feels the same way.
What does give me pause though, is that we're seeing so much of the protests feed... directed at us.  Seeing so many Iranian street protest signs in English, really leads me to believe that they might be more open to Western help than in the past.   

I believe that inaction is the best strategy right now.  I don't think we want to seem to be taking sides  Anti-Americanism is still high enough in that country that our support for the opposition could backfire. but I don't think it's any well thought out plan by the White House.  I think the Incompetent One just doesn't have a clue what to do.   In this instance it may be the correct course of action.  Even a blind squirrel .......

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
And changeing the "face" of Iraq woulden't have a ripple effect in the Mooslime world................ :evillaugh:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »

I like MSB's "It depends" answer, because like most of the real world, this is in living color, not black-and-white.  Defenders of Big Zero and his thundering silence point to the importance of being seen as not involved, but his detractors rightly point out that the radicals are going to claim we are behind it anyway so going hands-off doesn't really help that problem a damned bit.  If we ARE going to play in it, we need to do so indirectly with, for instance, the Kurds.  The Kurds and other Iranian dissidents are on their own program, of course, and any decision to assist is a decision to set forces in motion over which we will have no control once they start moving.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »
Our beloved CinC was paving the way for the rigged elections with--as per his usual MO--unqualified overtures to the regime:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/24/us-contacted-irans-ayatollah-before-election/?source=newsletter_must-read-stories-today_photo_feature

There has now been a fan-to-fecal matter intersection with hundreds reported wounded and dead:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/24/iran.election/index.html

Our towering pillar of moral rectitude says in response the US may well call off its invitations for Iranian diplomats to join us overseas for a 4th of July cook-out:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/24/officials-president-obama-reconsidering-july-4-invitations-to-iran/

...maybe.

:banghead: :bawl: :thatsright: :hammer: :argh:

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »
Robert Kaplan
Shhhh: The Iranian uprising was made possible by the Iraq war
As in the former Soviet Union, change in Iran can come only from the inside; only an insider, be it a Mousavi or a Mikhail Gorbachev, has the necessary bona fides to allow daylight into the system, exposing its flaws. Only a staunch supporter of the Islamic Republic such as Mousavi would have been trusted to campaign at all, even as he is now leading a democratic movement that has already undermined the Brezhnevite clerical regime. It is unfinished business of the Cold War that we have been witnessing the past few days. The Iranian struggle for democracy is now as central to our foreign policy as that for democracy in Eastern Europe in the 1980s.

It is crucial that we reflect on an original goal of regime change in Iraq. Anyone who supported the war must have known that toppling Saddam Hussein, a Sunni Arab — whether it resulted in stable democracy, benign dictatorship or sheer chaos — would strengthen the Shiite hand in the region. This was not seen as necessarily bad. The Sept. 11 terrorists had emanated from the rebellious sub-states of the sclerotic Sunni dictatorships of Egypt and Saudi Arabia, whose arrogance and aversion to reform had to be allayed by readjusting the regional balance of power in favor of Shiite Iran. It was hoped that Iran would undergo its own upheaval were Iraq to change. Had the occupation of Iraq been carried out in a more competent manner, this scenario might have unfolded faster and more transparently. Nevertheless, it is happening. And not only is Iran in the throes of democratic upheaval, but Egypt and Saudi Arabia have both been quietly reforming apace.  link

Hat Tip to hotair.com

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 04:35:48 PM »
Dear Leader should have come out with a strongly worded speech upholding the right of the Iranian people to have their freedom similar to what Reagan did when Lech Walesa lead the revolt in Poland.  He's waited too long to have an impact now even if he did.  He's played right into the hands of those in the world who recognize that Dem presidents are wimps.  Not surprised.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »
Dear Leader should have come out with a strongly worded speech upholding the right of the Iranian people to have their freedom similar to what Reagan did when Lech Walesa lead the revolt in Poland.  He's waited too long to have an impact now even if he did.  He's played right into the hands of those in the world who recognize that Dem presidents are wimps.  Not surprised.

In coming off like a ***** he is, then abruptly changing course and trying to look like the guy who's carrying the big stick, agreed.

Lord Zero has demonstrated unequivocally that he is utterly incapable of determining suitable foreign policy.

As it stands right now, Lord Z looks like the proverbial deer-in-the-headlights. Completely clueless, to the point that he wants to withdraw invitations for Independence Day celebrations for Iranians?

OMG. Pathetic.  :loser:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 06:18:32 AM »

I am left to wonder as to his motive:

A) he's simply indecisive, preferring to hedge rather than take a stance in case his decision later be seen as the wrong one

B) he sees the US as the source of many of the world's ills and as such "owed" to the regime a chance to forgive the US

C) he's a narcissist and those damned protesters are ruining his place in history as the man that reconciled with a former enemy

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 06:29:22 AM »
I am left to wonder as to his motive:

A) he's simply indecisive, preferring to hedge rather than take a stance in case his decision later be seen as the wrong one

B) he sees the US as the source of many of the world's ills and as such "owed" to the regime a chance to forgive the US

C) he's a narcissist and those damned protesters are ruining his place in history as the man that reconciled with a former enemy

How about D) All of the above
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 11:48:32 AM »
Completely clueless, to the point that he wants to withdraw invitations for Independence Day celebrations for Iranians?

OMG. Pathetic.  :loser:

It's worse than that. Obama rescinded invitations that the Iranians had already declined.

Yes, everything is great. Just great.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 12:36:18 PM »
As has been noted Obama's Show-Me-Your-Weinie-and-I'll-Show-You-How-Nice-I-am declined invitations have been rescinded.

However, it appears the mullah-approved parliament has given a definitive snub to the mullah-approve winner of the mullah-rigged election:

More than 180 Iranian MPs appear to have snubbed an invitation to celebrate President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s election win, local press reports say.

All 290 MPs were invited to the victory party on Wednesday night, but only 105 turned up, the reports say.

A BBC correspondent says the move is a sign of the deep split at the top of Iran after disputed presidential polls.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8118139.stm

Puppets of a dictatorial regime have more spine for defiance than the leader of the free world.

Who knew?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »

Puppets of a dictatorial regime have more spine for defiance than the leader of the free world.

Who knew?

We all did. When was the last DimRat president that showed any spine?