Author Topic: House Dems favor insurance requirement  (Read 3158 times)

Offline RobJohnson

House Dems favor insurance requirement
« on: June 09, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »

WASHINGTON – Senior House Democrats drafting health care legislation are considering slapping an unspecified financial penalty on anyone who refuses to purchase affordable health insurance, a key committee chairman said Monday.

In addition, officials said Democrats are considering a new tax on certain health insurance benefits as one of numerous options to help pay for expanding coverage to the uninsured. No details on the tax were immediately available, and no final decisions were expected until next week at the earliest.

Healthcare

Offline thundley4

Re: House Dems favor insurance requirement
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 06:51:11 AM »
If they end up taxing health insurance benefits provided by employees, they will surely manage to make it a tax only on the wealthy.  They are not going to tax the benefits of union members, because that is their base and it provides too much financial and ad support for the Dems.

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 07:09:56 AM »
This whole thing is just fraught with unintended consequences, and it scares the hell out of me, and a majority of Americans, according to poll after poll. 
Over at gradegov.com, where you can grade & post letters to congress, there are some letters with less-than-veiled threats to the clowns.  "First time my kid can't get in to see a doctor, I'm coming after you, mother." 

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:04:28 AM »
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the way the cram this stuff through the senate and congress so fast.  No way to really read and understand all the language, get feedback from the people, etc. 

Scarey stuff.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 08:14:26 AM »
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the way the cram this stuff through the senate and congress so fast.  No way to really read and understand all the language, get feedback from the people, etc. 

Scarey stuff.

No Kidding!  It seems like every piece of legislation is emergency legislation and must be passed Now! 

Personally, I think that there should be a mandatory discussion period for any legislation, with the exception perhaps of authorizing funds for war in a true emergency situation.  One of the greatest aspects of democracy is the fact the both sides can discuss the issues, and hopefully pound out and resolve problems.

We've avoided major Federal involvement in healthcare so far, so is society really going to collapse if we wait a few more months?  I don't think so.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »

Scarey stuff.

That is exactly why they rush this crap through, they do not want anyone to read and understand the ramifications of the bills. We saw the same shit with the Porkulous bill.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 11:14:45 AM »
Seriously, what is it about "least common denominator" that these clowns in Congress willfully ignore?  If you nationalize healthcare, it's not going to give everyone the same HIGH quality of service--quite the opposite.  Average healthcare levels will decline rapidly, and in some cases will be denied as unnecessary.

Like euthanasia?  You better get used to it.  "Sorry, kids--the state says granny is too sick to keep alive economically."
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:17:35 AM »
...to help pay for expanding coverage to the uninsured...

*raises hand*

Um, I already pay for coverage for the uninsured through higher premiums.  Is the gubmint gonna lower those premiums?   ::)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 11:21:24 AM »
*raises hand*

Um, I already pay for coverage for the uninsured through higher premiums.  Is the gubmint gonna lower those premiums?   ::)

I love how they stare at their feet when you ask that question...kinda like when we up here ask if our property taxes will go down if they implement a sales and/or income tax.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »
In the military...we refer to this kind of choice as being "Volun-told" to do something.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 12:48:01 PM »
Obama will not tax anyone who's not "RICH"!  Who are the "rich"? ANYONE with an earned or unearned  income of ANY amount.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
Obama will not tax anyone who's not "RICH"!  Who are the "rich"? ANYONE with an earned or unearned  income of ANY amount.

yup.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »
The one really good point of this will be watching all the Progressive heads explode.  Well...the employed ones, anyway.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »
employed and progressive? That happened when? Is it a national holliday yet? :evillaugh: :rotf:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 07:25:33 PM »

Scarey stuff.
That seems to be the Democrat's MO on everything.  We HAVE to confirm Sotomayor before the August court session begins.  We HAVE to push the stimulus bill though before anyone gets a chance to read any of it.  We HAVE to pass TARP funding to save homeowners before things get worse.  We HAVE to do something about health care, and this is the result.

I honestly hope Barack Obama turns out to be a one-term President, because I don't think we would survive a second term.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 07:35:59 PM »
Besides job losses, we really haven't seen the affect of his decisions with only 6 months into his term...I fear it will get really horrible and only then will people have no choice but to get him out in 012.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 07:49:04 PM »
While the 615-page bill, titled “Affordable Health Choices Act,” deals with dozens of reform issues, it sidesteps for now the controversial issue of whether employers should be required to provide coverage.

The bill also proposes that the federal government reinsure those employers offering health care coverage to retirees between the ages of 55 and 64. The government would reinsure 80% of each claim of between $15,000 and $90,000.

Other provisions closely track a draft outline made available last week, including the elimination of annual and lifetime dollar limits on health care expenses plans cover and giving the states authority to set up exchanges where employers and individuals could select health care plans offered by insurers.

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20090609/NEWS/906099972

From what I heard*, the private insurance companies will be required to provide coverage to anyone that applies for a policy.

*Glenn Beck
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 07:50:41 PM »
Besides job losses, we really haven't seen the affect of his decisions with only 6 months into his term...I fear it will get really horrible and only then will people have no choice but to get him out in 012.

I think we've seen other aspects of his presidency, if not exactly his decisions.  Hasn't there been an up tick in the actions of so-called enemy states, i.e. Iran and North Korea? Sure , these same things were going on under President Bush, but they were more spaced out , but now it seems that certain countries know they can act with impunity.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 07:52:42 PM »
I think we've seen other aspects of his presidency, if not exactly his decisions.  Hasn't there been an up tick in the actions of so-called enemy states, i.e. Iran and North Korea? Sure , these same things were going on under President Bush, but they were more spaced out , but now it seems that certain countries know they can act with impunity.

Obama is a pantywaist little boy when it comes to foreign policy.  Of course the Norks and the Mad Mullahs are making noise, because there's nobody that will stand up to them.  What's Barry gonna do, send Hillary Clinton?

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 08:00:18 PM »
Watch Nero as the country burns it's economy to ashes.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 07:02:46 AM »
Watch Nero as the country burns it's economy to ashes.

He's too busy on Date Nightstm with his wife in NYC and Paris on OUR dime to care.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 07:16:29 AM »
He's too busy on Date Nightstm with his wife in NYC and Paris on OUR dime to care.
Even his beloved MSM is nailing him on that one.  He's got to know he's out in '12, so he's getting all he can while he can.  I expect the WH to be stripped to the walls when he leaves.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 07:30:09 AM »
How did that kind of plan work out for the state of Mass?

Ugh. He HAS to be a one-term president.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 07:33:05 AM »
How did that kind of plan work out for the state of Mass?

Ugh. He HAS to be a one-term president.

Two billion over budget so far.  Hawaii cancelled their program, Washington is scaling theirs WAY back, and doctors in CA won't accept MediCal--cash only.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 08:12:10 AM »
I really don't want to see my medical benefits turn into taxable income.

I work for a big company, it's within the top 50 of the Fortune 500. My health insurance is a big part of my benefits package. Even the little bit of it that I pay  ($60 a month) is paid for with my pre-tax income. The estimated value of such coverage is $600 a month. That would be alot of extra tax for me.

So much for President Obama only wanting to raise taxes on the "rich."  Let's tax my benefits so we can pay for others.  :bird:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:15:55 AM by RobJohnson »