Author Topic: NFL Playoffs - Sat. 1/10  (Read 29302 times)

Offline formerlurker

Re: NFL Playoffs - Sat. 1/10
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2009, 08:09:36 AM »
Umm . . . The Cards' record, at last check, is 12-7 with their postseason wins, which would have made them 9-7 at the end of the regular season.  As to how I'm a Mets' and Steelers' fan, I have zero expletive-deleted idea.  (Just lucky, I guess . . . )

Also, according to FoxSports.com, the early line out of Vegas is Steelers +6 1/2.

My apologies, 9-7-- with every single other team in their division being well under .500.    Come on.   9-7? 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2009, 09:45:40 AM »
My apologies, 9-7-- with every single other team in their division being well under .500.    Come on.   9-7? 

Not too long ago, the New York Jets won the AFC East with a 9-7 record, IIRC.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2009, 10:58:15 AM »
Not too long ago, the New York Jets won the AFC East with a 9-7 record, IIRC.

Look at the stats for the 2002 season -- those with a better record than the Jets got in to the playoffs.   This year is insanely lopsided.    Add insult to injury when the division games the Cardinals played were against seriously chump teams.   

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »
Look at the stats for the 2002 season -- those with a better record than the Jets got in to the playoffs.   This year is insanely lopsided.    Add insult to injury when the division games the Cardinals played were against seriously chump teams.   

Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »

Which I am sure is the reason why that pass interference call wasn't made..........

Couldn't agree more.....

I noticed a holding on that 4th and inches on the cards last drive

Hey FD you have no say what city would do better in the Super bowl being your city cant sustain a NFL team.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:32:36 PM by lars1701c »
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2009, 02:51:12 PM »
Go Pittsburgh.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
Go Pittsburgh.

Frank I like you and think you are a Man of wisdom and have a very large heart, but you know that saying to goes something like this:  "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"?  :-)  :tongue:
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
Frank I like you and think you are a Man of wisdom and have a very large heart, but you know that saying to goes something like this:  "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"?  :-)  :tongue:

Now, lars, sir, you know I'm always in favor of the traditional, the tried-and-true, the historic, over what's considered hip, cool, trendy, with it, where it's at; the jazzy glittering lights and little firecrackers.

Actually I found myself in an awkward position.

I'm not a fan of professional sports; I think they suck.

College football is the only game in town, for me.

And then this issue arose, where I had to make a choice.

Unhappily, my only choices were the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers; both of them teams from Pennsylvania.  The other two choices were nouveau flash-in-the-pan teams, liked only because they're new and cool, as compared with these old hats.

I never in my life favored a team, college or professional, from Pennsylvania; it's a family thing with the cousins, you of course know, they always being sore losers and poor sports.  Really nasty ill-mannered people, sports fans who like Pennsylvania teams.  Maybe not all who like Pennsylvania teams; I'm referring to the blood relatives here.

But my sentiments for history, tradition, stability are stronger than any dislike for the Pennsylvania cousins, and thus the Pittsburgh Steelers.

There's two things funny about this: (a) that I'm not even a fan of professional sports, and (b) that jendf thought I was putting her and her city down, when I was doing nothing of the sort. 

A place can be a vibrant, energetic, world-class city without stealing a professional football team from some city that has less--there's plenty of first-rate world-class cities without a professional football team.

I'm sure that Phoenix has at least 500,000 reasons to be considered a top-of-the-line city, but having a professional football team stolen from a poorer place isn't one of them.

Next thing you know, they're probably going to steal a baseball team from somewhere.

Ooops.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »
Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield . . .

... and sometimes the best QB in the NFL gets a cheap shot taken at his knee, laying the field for lesser teams to rise up and try their shot at the SB. 

There should be an * after the name of the team who wins it this year, with notation "dude, this year really sucked all the way around."

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2009, 03:49:58 PM »

College = boys

Professional = men

:fuelfire:

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2009, 05:11:27 PM »
Now, lars, sir, you know I'm always in favor of the traditional, the tried-and-true, the historic, over what's considered hip, cool, trendy, with it, where it's at; the jazzy glittering lights and little firecrackers.

Actually I found myself in an awkward position.

And then this issue arose, where I had to make a choice.

Unhappily, my only choices were the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers; both of them teams from Pennsylvania.  The other two choices were nouveau flash-in-the-pan teams, liked only because they're new and cool, as compared with these old hats.

I never in my life favored a team, college or professional, from Pennsylvania; it's a family thing with the cousins, you of course know, they always being sore losers and poor sports.  Really nasty ill-mannered people, sports fans who like Pennsylvania teams.  Maybe not all who like Pennsylvania teams; I'm referring to the blood relatives here.

But my sentiments for history, tradition, stability are stronger than any dislike for the Pennsylvania cousins, and thus the Pittsburgh Steelers.

There's two things funny about this: (a) that I'm not even a fan of professional sports, and (b) that jendf thought I was putting her and her city down, when I was doing nothing of the sort. 

A place can be a vibrant, energetic, world-class city without stealing a professional football team from some city that has less--there's plenty of first-rate world-class cities without a professional football team.

I'm sure that Phoenix has at least 500,000 reasons to be considered a top-of-the-line city, but having a professional football team stolen from a poorer place isn't one of them.

Next thing you know, they're probably going to steal a baseball team from somewhere.

Ooops.

Sorry coach it was a bad Sunday and a very shitty Monday  :-)  :bow:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:22 PM »
I have a few thoughts, if I may.

I'll make it official:  I won't be skipping the SB, and I'm taking Arizona.  Of course I'm very sore about that loss, and I can't dwell on it or I'll get myself angry all over again.  But I can hardly blame Arizona for that.  The blame lies squarely on the Eagles, and I don't intend to forgive them for that until there's a new coach at the very least.  And a new offensive coordinator, and an accurate QB, and a power running back, among other things. 

But that's neither here nor there... Arizona is the team that made it from the NFC this year, and I'm pulling for them.  You can say what you want about their regular season record, but I don't care about that.  I like the fact that they didn't have the best record but still made it to the Superbowl.  It shows everyone that on any given Sunday any team can beat any other team.  They earned their berth and they made the most of it.  The Eags shit on them on Thanksgiving, but that was then.  This is the playoffs.  Apologies to Jim Mora, but yes, we ARE talking about the playoffs.  So what if Arizona was 9-7?  What does the regular season mean when the playoffs begin? 

Then people say "but this is 'bad for the NFL.'"  Why?  I think it's great a team can come out of nowhere and succeed.  The team that wins advances, plain and simple.  What, praytell, would be good for the NFL?  Superbowl matchups selected by lottery?  By fiat?  I love to see the smarmy know-it-alls at the networks coronate a team before the game is even played, then get reminded why champions aren't crowned on paper.  I love the underdog.  It keeps the game honest.  It gives everyone a reason to be a fan, not just the ones who happen to live near preferred teams. 

So even though it came at Philadelphia's expense, I'm happy for the Cardinals and I'm glad for what they represent.  I have faith they'll acquit themselves well.     

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »
And GO PHILLIES!  When does spring training start?  :evillaugh: :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2009, 10:15:07 PM »
College = boys

Professional = men

:fuelfire:

2 feet inbounds and run until you are touched.

Your QB passes, your RB runs.  Running QBs don't win.  Ever.

Only a few of the differences that make the pro game better than the college boy league.

Now in basketball, we might have a different discussion.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
Couldn't agree more.....

I noticed a holding on that 4th and inches on the cards last drive

Hey FD you have no say what city would do better in the Super bowl being your city cant sustain a NFL team.

Yep -- I can root for anyone I want.  Just because the ONLY smart decision L.A. has made is it won't allow the taxpayers to pay billions of tax dollars for winter entertainment.  I hope Houston enjoys its 10-year tax hit.

And I have been following the NFL since 1969 and have been a Steelers fan since probably 1974 or so.  So I can predict better than most of you and root for whom I wish.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »
Polamalu running back that INT was the capstone.

If PIT +8 is the line, that should be a good one.

I hear tell the line is PGH +5

I wouldn't take the points and I wouldn't give any more (although Rush said someone asked him for 8).

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »
Your QB passes, your RB runs.  Running QBs don't win.  Ever.

Only a few of the differences that make the pro game better than the college boy league.

Au contraire, mon frere... Steve Young and John Elway were widely known as running QBs, and they're in the HOF.

Also, for my money, college overtime has NFL overtime beat hands down

Offline Chris_

« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2009, 11:15:13 PM »
Au contraire, mon frere... Steve Young and John Elway were widely known as running QBs, and they're in the HOF.

The hell they were.  There were mobile -- but not running -- QBs.  Big Ben slides in the pocket at least as well as Young.  A "running" QB is more like McNabb or Cunningham in their early days.

Just look at Vince Young -- a true running QB who has languished in the NFL.  Because NFL defenses KILL running QBs.  He isn't and won't even be a force, and in a few years not even an asterisk.

You won't see the wishbone-T in the NFL (and don't even bring up the "wildcat" formation -- that was a cute gadget that has outlived its lifespan already).  College ball sacrifices QBs since they don't cost a dime.

As for OT -- you would decide on a form of the game that is 1 in 100 or so?

Fine, try to put the silly sissy-sport "oh we get our chance too" rule in.  Real men who understand Sudden Death will just laugh.  I mean, is the tie-breaker in hockey or soccer any better?  Maybe a home-run marathon in baseball?

God, when girlie-men get involved in sports everyone just wants to look away.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2009, 05:17:12 AM »
...And a new offensive coordinator, and an accurate QB, and a power running back, among other things. 

I hear LT is looking for work.     :-)

The rest of it Red --  :yawn:, did the NFL network start a soap opera?   

:tongue:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:56:33 AM by formerlurker »

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2009, 05:19:26 AM »
Yep -- I can root for anyone I want.  Just because the ONLY smart decision L.A. has made is it won't allow the taxpayers to pay billions of tax dollars for winter entertainment.  I hope Houston enjoys its 10-year tax hit.

And I have been following the NFL since 1969 and have been a Steelers fan since probably 1974 or so.  So I can predict better than most of you and root for whom I wish.

:whatever:

You know the only reason why the Steelers are going to the SB is because Brady is hurt right? 

Fair weather fans make the NFL go round and round.    :uhsure:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2009, 05:54:40 AM »
While it would be a tad unfair to suggest the Cardinals don’t belong in Tampa next week because, after all, they followed the rules and beat the Falcons, Panthers and the Eagles to earn the NFC championship, it also would not be an unreasonable thought to have. That they are the first 9-7 team ever to make it to the Super Bowl is the crowning achievement of decades of manipulation by men in gray suits who work on Park Avenue. Parity was created in the NFL’s Manhattan offices for the benefit of ineptly run teams like Arizona’s, for without it there are no trips to the Super Bowl for the Cardinals, only trips to the cellar.

Parity, also called mediocrity by many, long has been the NFL’s goal and now they have it. A team barely able to finish above .500 in the worst division in the game, one that shamefully embarrassed itself against the Patriots [team stats] last month, now is one victory away from pro football’s version of immortality.

Can they do it? Both President Obama and Bob the Builder would say, “Yes we can!” Don’t believe them.

Upsets happen, as the Patriots reminded us all in 2002 when they recorded one of the biggest ones in Super Bowl history over the St. Louis Rams, but if the Arizona Cardinals beat the Steelers that won’t be an upset. It would be a shame.

These are the same Cardinals who gave up 56 points to The Hated JETS! They are the Cardinals who were hammered on Thanksgiving by the Eagles, the same team Larry Fitzgerald defeated almost by himself Sunday afternoon. They also are the Cardinals who finished the regular season by staggering into the playoffs having lost four of their last six games too, but to be fair they also are the Cardinals who have won three straight playoff games, so attention must be paid.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/2009_01_20_NFC_title_run_stuff_of_dreams:_Cards_change_fortunes/srvc=home&position=also

Ron Borges if you will (you know the POS Boston sports writer who loathes Boston teams?)

While I do not think they should be in the playoffs, I guess it would be kind of delicious if they embarrassed big Ben and company. 

:popcorn:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2009, 05:58:41 AM »

Matt Cassel did a fine job this year running the ball.  While he is no Tom Brady, he is no slouch either.     

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2009, 06:06:03 AM »
Also, for my money, college overtime has NFL overtime beat hands down.

The thing that's great about college football is its utter unpredictability; anything can happen.

The greatest game in the history of college football had to be the Harvard-Yale game of 1968 (I think it was 1968).  With 1:28 to go in the game, Yale led Harvard 28-14.

Harvard won that game, 31-28.

And surely one remembers a particular Ohio State-UCLA game (regular season, not the Rose Bowl) of the late 1970s.  Ohio State was behind, by less than a touchdown, and there were but seconds, and 80 yards, to go.

Art Schlichter made four perfect passes during those final seconds, and Ohio State won.

With professional football, everything goes with clockwork precision, nobody makes any mistakes, and there's no upsets.  Watching professional football is like watching a painter apply paint to a wall.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2009, 06:28:03 AM »
With professional football, everything goes with clockwork precision, nobody makes any mistakes, and there's no upsets.  Watching professional football is like watching a painter apply paint to a wall.

I don't know what NFL games you are watching, but this just isn't true.  There certainly are mismatched games (the poor Lions anyone?), but for the most part once the clock starts it is anyone's game.

Some superstar college players don't make the cut in the NFL.   The NFL is bone crunching intensity, not for the weak of stomach.   Ditto for its coaches (Pete Carroll anyone?). 

Apples and oranges.   College ball is fun to watch -- heck, I like to watch high school football too.    However, the NFL is it baby.   

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2009, 09:28:19 AM »
The NFL used to be good, but it's really dropped in intensity.  You can't touch the QB, you can't touch the receiver, you can't closeline the runner, no helmet to helmet contact, no headslaps, no covering your arms with plaster of paris and beating the other player within inches of his life, etc....

If the NFL were to turn back the rule clock about 40 years to would be much better.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.