Author Topic: The DUI exception to the constitution  (Read 8067 times)

Offline Miss Mia

The DUI exception to the constitution
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
naaman fletcher  (66 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Wed Dec-31-08 04:55 PM
Original message
The DUI exception to the constitution

I hope to convince you in the next hour, some of you, that the greatest single threat to our freedoms, the freedoms set forth in the Bill of Rights, is not from Iraq or Iran. I don’t think it’s from North Korea. I don’t think it’s from the extremists of the Muslim world. The threat, as it has always been throughout history, is internal: It is from within. But I do not think it is from the American Communist party or extremists on the right. I hope to convince a few of you that the greatest single threat to our freedoms today comes from a group consisting largely of American housewives. They call themselves the Mothers Against Drunk Driving. MADD.

http://www.duiblog.com/2005/05/09/the-dui-exception-to-...

Basically the OP goes on to assert that driving is a right and not a privilege. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 06:14:40 PM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Re: The DUI exception to the constitution
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:46:27 PM »
There is no law preventing the DUmmie from getting drunk and driving on his own property.  Driving is a privilege when you want to use the roads created and maintained for public use.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:49:46 PM »
There is no law preventing the DUmmie from getting drunk and driving on his own property.  Driving is a privilege when you want to use the roads created and maintained for public use.

The law of expected outcomes prevents most people from driving drunk-on their own property, but that is a law that can't be enforced by man.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »

Did you read the Article or just giving the PC response ? I thought the author did a good job of breaking down the argument of the associated problems with the tests from a legal standpoint and a scientific one. Keep in mind if courts can make "DUI exceptions" it isn't going to be long until other "exceptions" are created. Also the laws are written so Driving basically has nothing to do with it anymore" so your argument is not only silly but moot.

I am not defending/advocating DUI I just think a politically correct approach to laws are a very dangerous road to travel.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 07:04:47 PM »
The law of expected outcomes prevents most people from driving drunk-on their own property, but that is a law that can't be enforced by man.

However, that law can and is enforced by Darwin.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
Did you read the Article or just giving the PC response ? I thought the author did a good job of breaking down the argument of the associated problems with the tests from a legal standpoint and a scientific one. Keep in mind if courts can make "DUI exceptions" it isn't going to be long until other "exceptions" are created. Also the laws are written so Driving basically has nothing to do with it anymore" so your argument is not only silly but moot.

I am not defending/advocating DUI I just think a politically correct approach to laws are a very dangerous road to travel.

That was a long read, and the author does have some valid points, quite a few actually.  I still can not understand how DUI checkpoints ever made it past the USSC.   Another thing that tends to get overlooked when when MADD and other advocates overlook when pushing for stricter laws, is the fact that most people who have been involved in a deadly crash while DUI, were usually driving with a history of speeding, and or reckless driving.  That is more a contributing factor than the alcohol in many cases
I personally think the field sobriety test is a more effective way of telling how drunk a person is than the breathilizer test.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »
That was a long read, and the author does have some valid points, quite a few actually.  I still can not understand how DUI checkpoints ever made it past the USSC.   Another thing that tends to get overlooked when when MADD and other advocates overlook when pushing for stricter laws, is the fact that most people who have been involved in a deadly crash while DUI, were usually driving with a history of speeding, and or reckless driving.  That is more a contributing factor than the alcohol in many cases
I personally think the field sobriety test is a more effective way of telling how drunk a person is than the breathilizer test.

Little bit of Irony about MADD. One of the founders of some local chapter was busted for DUI a few yrs back for the 2nd time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:39:44 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 08:34:03 PM »

I don't agree with DUI checkpoints, I think it's a waste of time and doesn't really curb drunk driving.  But just being pulled over and asked to undergo a field sobriety test or breathalyzer doesn't constitute a breech of the 4th amendment.  Also I don't think that having your driver's license suspended b/c you refuse to do a breathalyzer is unConstitutional.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »
I don't agree with DUI checkpoints, I think it's a waste of time and doesn't really curb drunk driving.  But just being pulled over and asked to undergo a field sobriety test or breathalyzer doesn't constitute a breech of the 4th amendment.  Also I don't think that having your driver's license suspended b/c you refuse to do a breathalyzer is unConstitutional.

You could look at the field sobriety test done at a checkpoint as a form of self incrimination. The breathalyzer seems like an illegal search when done at a checkpoint, based on an assumption of guilt because they can smeel alcohol.  I don't know about other states, but Illinois has a 90 day summary suspension just for the DUI arrest. It happens even before the cases are brought to court.  That is in effect punishing a person without ever being convicted of any crime.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 09:01:32 PM »
You could look at the field sobriety test done at a checkpoint as a form of self incrimination. The breathalyzer seems like an illegal search when done at a checkpoint, based on an assumption of guilt because they can smeel alcohol.  I don't know about other states, but Illinois has a 90 day summary suspension just for the DUI arrest. It happens even before the cases are brought to court.  That is in effect punishing a person without ever being convicted of any crime.

I'm really not on the DUI laws and what all happens (I've never been in that situation nor has anyone close to me).  I think in Texas if you decline to do a field sobriety test, they do suspend automatically your license, which I have to say, now thinking about it is wrong if you haven't been convicted of anything.  But if you fail a breathalyzer/blood test I think it's fine.  Now, if you're pulled over and refuse the breathalyzer they have judges on stand-by to sign warrants for the police to draw blood. 
Stink Eye

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 09:11:43 PM »
I'm really not on the DUI laws and what all happens (I've never been in that situation nor has anyone close to me).  I think in Texas if you decline to do a field sobriety test, they do suspend automatically your license, which I have to say, now thinking about it is wrong if you haven't been convicted of anything.  But if you fail a breathalyzer/blood test I think it's fine.  Now, if you're pulled over and refuse the breathalyzer they have judges on stand-by to sign warrants for the police to draw blood. 

I know about our laws since a guy at work had gotten one and his wife had to bring him to work, and he constantly complained about MADD and the DUI laws.  He got the summary suspension but then his case was thrown out on a technicality of some sort.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 09:23:05 PM »
I know about our laws since a guy at work had gotten one and his wife had to bring him to work, and he constantly complained about MADD and the DUI laws.  He got the summary suspension but then his case was thrown out on a technicality of some sort.

I thought, but I could easily be wrong, that the temp suspension still allowed you to drive to work.  Was that true in his case?
Stink Eye

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »
You can get a work permit, but it takes time and ofter the term of suspension can be up before all the paper work goes through.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 09:28:30 PM »
You can get a work permit, but it takes time and ofter the term of suspension can be up before all the paper work goes through.

Ahh, I see.  Thanks for the explanation. 

With that new knowledge, for myself, I have to say that the suspension before even a trial is wrong.  But I would think that if they wanted to add an breathalyzer to the ignition so that the person could still drive, just not drunk until trial that would be okay.  What do you think?
Stink Eye

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 09:59:26 PM »
Ahh, I see.  Thanks for the explanation. 

With that new knowledge, for myself, I have to say that the suspension before even a trial is wrong.  But I would think that if they wanted to add an breathalyzer to the ignition so that the person could still drive, just not drunk until trial that would be okay.  What do you think?
As of midnight, anyone convicted of DUI will have to have one of the interlock breathalizers installed on their car.

Users must pay for the fist-sized devices, which cost around $80 to install on dashboards and $80 a month to rent; there's also a $30 monthly state fee.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 10:11:25 PM »
As of midnight, anyone convicted of DUI will have to have one of the interlock breathalizers installed on their car.

Users must pay for the fist-sized devices, which cost around $80 to install on dashboards and $80 a month to rent; there's also a $30 monthly state fee.

But what about the people before their convicted?  Can they still get one of these and keep their license until they go to court? 
Stink Eye

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 10:21:25 PM »
Actually, and this is speaking only for Texas, the license is confiscated on the spot for either refusal to provide a breath specimen or providing a breath specimen with a BAC of over .08. The license doesn't actually become "suspended" until 45 after days that. During that time the suspect's attorney can request an administrative License Revocation (ALR) hearing before a judge for the State Office of Administrative Hearings. If the suspension is upheld, there is still sufficient time for the attorney to procure for his client an Occupational License to allow him to travel to/from his/her place of employment.

In May of 2002 I had the wonderful privilege of arriving on-scene of a 6-vehicle wreck involving a drunk driving the wrong way on Airport Freeway. I began checking cars and had to get to the 4th before I found anyone alive.....and that lady was all kinds of screwed up (it took the FD over 20 minutes to cut her out). Then the suspect's vehicle, from which I was unable to get the driver out due to damage, went up like a Roman Candle due to ruptured fuel lines. At this point I look back and see the fire truck entering the freeway......about a mile away......having to drive 30 mph on the shoulder. So, I got to listen to this lady's screams as she burned to death.
Then, a year or two later, we got to work an accident in our city whereby an officer from a neighboring agency was run over by a drunk on a traffic stop and killed instantly. I got to accompany the suspect, who was out on bond from a DWI arrest from a few weeks prior, to the hospital. Fortunately, in fatality cases, Texas doesn't allow refusal to provide a blood specimen. Of course the suspect attempted to refuse, but that didn't go far. He had the option of having the nurse get it with a blood-draw kit, or me getting it with a nightstick and Dixie-cup....either way, we were getting it.

Constitutional issues aside, you'll have to pardon me for not having much sympathy for these clowns.

Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »
But what about the people before their convicted?  Can they still get one of these and keep their license until they go to court? 

I didn't see anything about having one before a conviction. Chicago Tribune.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 10:29:42 PM »

Two words: Implied Consent.  If you don't want to allow checkpoints and the like, don't drive.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »
Two words: Implied Consent.  If you don't want to allow checkpoints and the like, don't drive.

The other option is to avoid drinking and driving. Then again, most of the checkpoints are set up to where they can't be avoided when you see them.  Here they set them up on the main highways through town,

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 07:26:27 AM »

Bingo.  By you accepting a state-issued drivers license, you accept all the terms and conditions they require therein.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »
Actually, and this is speaking only for Texas, the license is confiscated on the spot for either refusal to provide a breath specimen or providing a breath specimen with a BAC of over .08. The license doesn't actually become "suspended" until 45 after days that. During that time the suspect's attorney can request an administrative License Revocation (ALR) hearing before a judge for the State Office of Administrative Hearings. If the suspension is upheld, there is still sufficient time for the attorney to procure for his client an Occupational License to allow him to travel to/from his/her place of employment.

In May of 2002 I had the wonderful privilege of arriving on-scene of a 6-vehicle wreck involving a drunk driving the wrong way on Airport Freeway. I began checking cars and had to get to the 4th before I found anyone alive.....and that lady was all kinds of screwed up (it took the FD over 20 minutes to cut her out). Then the suspect's vehicle, from which I was unable to get the driver out due to damage, went up like a Roman Candle due to ruptured fuel lines. At this point I look back and see the fire truck entering the freeway......about a mile away......having to drive 30 mph on the shoulder. So, I got to listen to this lady's screams as she burned to death.
Then, a year or two later, we got to work an accident in our city whereby an officer from a neighboring agency was run over by a drunk on a traffic stop and killed instantly. I got to accompany the suspect, who was out on bond from a DWI arrest from a few weeks prior, to the hospital. Fortunately, in fatality cases, Texas doesn't allow refusal to provide a blood specimen. Of course the suspect attempted to refuse, but that didn't go far. He had the option of having the nurse get it with a blood-draw kit, or me getting it with a nightstick and Dixie-cup....either way, we were getting it.

Constitutional issues aside, you'll have to pardon me for not having much sympathy for these clowns.

I agree.   I was a casualty adjuster for a large auto insurance carrier.   The lives forever destroyed by drunks on the road haunt you forever. 

My favorite of course is the moron parents who booze it up at parties/cookouts/weddings with their kids in tow, then drive home.   Parents always seem to live in those accidents.   Bastards. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »

DUIs with accidents that came across my desk involve soccer moms, dads having a few pops after work, fill-in-the-blank idiots leaving sporting events, weddings, parties, bars, blah blah blah.   

Professional drunks know how to avoid checkpoints.    :-)

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 08:11:31 AM »
Basically the OP goes on to assert that driving is a right and not a privilege. 

That is it in a nutshell.   

The author does have the right to not drive however, especially if he drank a few glasses of merlot at his friend's house and think that doesn't compromise his ability to drive.

It was only two glasses of wine..... dude, I am an e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t driver......