Author Topic: need some help from the ladies...  (Read 12417 times)

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
need some help from the ladies...
« on: November 30, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »
As my wife (as well as the ex-wife) has made painfully obvious to me, I don't know what women really want.  I'm putting this thread up to take suggestions for good, relatively inexpensive Christmas presents.  I was leaning toward a book of "coupons" for things done for her, like "one romantic dinner" or "rake the lawn"... any ideas, ladies?

Offline Miss Mia

Re: need some help from the ladies...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:13:24 PM »
As my wife (as well as the ex-wife) has made painfully obvious to me, I don't know what women really want.  I'm putting this thread up to take suggestions for good, relatively inexpensive Christmas presents.  I was leaning toward a book of "coupons" for things done for her, like "one romantic dinner" or "rake the lawn"... any ideas, ladies?

That's a cute idea. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 02:35:31 PM »
a cordless vacuum cleaner
an iron
new set of cookware

:popcorn: :uhsure:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 02:38:39 PM »
an iron
new set of cookware

I used to work with a guy that bought his wife a vacuum cleaner for her birthday.

He's no longer married.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 02:58:33 PM »
I used to work with a guy that bought his wife a vacuum cleaner for her birthday.

He's no longer married.

Shocker!   :lmao:

They say a gift from the heart will make the best present... I dunno...I'm not big into jewelry so not ALL women want a new tennis bracelet (although 1 would be nice)...but if you're married a long time...I see nothing wrong with buying something for the house....maybe NOT a vacuum cleaner...but I wouldn't mind a a new espresso/cappucino maker,  or a Kitchen Aid mixers, a new dishwasher...etc...if the house needed one...

You should know your girl well enough to know what delights her....Sorry if that wasn't much help..
:shucks:

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 03:21:25 PM »
From my own personal experience, unless you are a gentleman with impeccable taste, clothing never works. There is always something not quite right about the style, the color or the size. ;) I cried myself to sleep one year because my husband bought me a whole assortment of clothes that looked like something his mom would wear and I was only 30 years old.  :evillaugh:

The romantic night outs are a nice idea.

I also like the spa gift certificates, but I realize that's not everyone's bag.

Good luck, I am sure you will do fine. 
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 03:25:38 PM »
I'm an old fart, and I've bought a lot of gifts for gals over the years.
This works.
Buy a picnic basket: The old fashioned kind with two lids like in the movies.
Get a red/white checkerboard tablecloth...like in the movies.
Bottles of wine, two wine glasses, some cheese and goodies. Candles.

She'll think you spent ages on a theme gift just for her. Chicks LOVE this! I used to have at least two or three sets like this in my apartment during my twenties (I was a dating fiend then!). Get em on sale, and you won't have to spend a dime at Christmas.

Remember girls think they are Psychic, and they will over analyze your gift. To a gal, gift giving is a test of your inner psyche. Give her every reason to think it took you at least a month of pre-planning to get this gift.

The coupon idea is good, but NOT for Christmas. She wants a tangible thing to hold in her hand. Coupons are good as an addition to you gift at Valentines day or some 3-6 month bogus anniversary.

Remember you will be graded on this. If she asks, it took you a month of searching to find the right basket (cause you a guy, actually spending time shopping for a gal is impressive).

Jewelry in my mind is bad. ONLY if you are going to marry her. Its a substitute for...commitment!
Frankly: is a very chick thing. To me, a glass/zirconium jewel looks like the real thing, so its just as good. Its for looks anyways. If no one can tell the difference, whats the big deal? A chick is looking for a way to judge how you value your relationship, and the price tag is a perfect way to do that.
Fear, oh mortal man. Jewelry is bad!

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
Mr Mannn .... tsktsktsk.... what to do about you?  :lmao:

Chicks are psychic.  :hammer:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 03:47:40 PM »

Chicks are psychic.  :hammer:
Ah, thats why my post surprised you.  :tongue:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »
an iron
new set of cookware

I actually asked for and received All-Clad cookware last year for Christmas.  :-)

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 03:53:25 PM »
Ah, thats why my post surprised you.  :tongue:

I was not so much surprised as impressed by your best laid plans..... 3 picnic baskets indeed.  :evillaugh:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »
How about asking her what she wants, it always works for me.  :p

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 04:07:50 PM »
* Spark Plugs (not them cheap ones -- PLATINUM ones)
* Rifle scope (laser)
* Claw Hammer
* Golf Ball range finder
* Coupon for10 laps at Malibu Grand Prix
* A written promise you will always wear Hai Karate or

You will have the happiest woman in town.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 05:09:53 PM »

I actually asked for and received All-Clad cookware last year for Christmas.  :-)
But you're one of those nearly-extinct domestic-type women. :tongue:

That stuff won't work on most broads, Mrs. Tantal included. :fuelfire:
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 05:17:46 PM »

well the issue here is not what "women" want.  It's what your lady wants!  And it's obvious from this thread, the men in this group know nothing about chicks :)  lol

Photographs arranged in an album.  A first edition of her favorite book.  Tickets to a concert she would enjoy.  An mp3 player filled with her favorite songs.  Chauffer her to work for a week, coffee included :)  lol  Stuff like that.  She will appreciate anything, as long as it's sincere.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »

Chicks are psychotic.  :hammer:

Repaired.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »
well the issue here is not what "women" want.  It's what your lady wants!  And it's obvious from this thread, the men in this group know nothing about chicks :)  lol

Photographs arranged in an album.  A first edition of her favorite book.  Tickets to a concert she would enjoy.  An mp3 player filled with her favorite songs.  Chauffer her to work for a week, coffee included :)  lol  Stuff like that.  She will appreciate anything, as long as it's sincere.

Oh gag me with a glacier. 

:beer:

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »
Oh gag me with a glacier. 

:beer:

*shrug*  :)

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »
*shrug*  :)

Oh, it's a sweet thought and all, but to a guy who has been married 37 and one-half years, it all sounds creepy.

:lmao:

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 05:32:28 PM »
Oh, it's a sweet thought and all, but to a guy who has been married 37 and one-half years, it all sounds creepy.

:lmao:

Allllllllllllll righty :)  So instead of acting like a huge d-bag about it, maybe you could offer up some suggestions instead!  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:38:27 PM by Sweet Dee »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 05:42:35 PM »
Allllllllllllll righty :)  So instead of acting like a huge d-bag about it, maybe you could offer up some suggestions instead!  Just a thought.
Socket wrench set.  Craftsman so you can return any sockets or wrench that breaks.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 05:42:55 PM »
Allllllllllllll righty :)  So instead of acting like a huge d-bag about it, maybe you could offer up some suggestions instead!  Just a thought. :loser:

I didn't know d-bags came in SIZES.  I always thought they were kinda one-size-fits-all apparatus.

Suggestions?  Ok....  

My wife, who adores me, and I, combine what we would spend on a material gift for each other and do something special we both enjoy.  We take a trip or buy something unnecessary we both want.  Like a 108" plasma flat screen for the bedroom.  Or a his-a-hers bus pass.  It all depends on how good the year has been.

I realize I am looking at the world through 78 year old eyes, so I may not be a Romeo-type anymore, but it works for us.

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »
Socket wrench set.  Craftsman so you can return any sockets or wrench that breaks.

I've always wanted my own nail gun. lol  *shrug*  :)

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »
I didn't know d-bags came in SIZES.  I always thought they were kinda one-size-fits-all apparatus.

Suggestions?  Ok....  

My wife, who adores me, and I, combine what we would spend on a material gift for each other and do something special we both enjoy.  We take a trip or buy something unnecessary we both want.  Like a 108" plasma flat screen for the bedroom.  Or a his-a-hers bus pass.  It all depends on how good the year has been.

I realize I am looking at the world through 78 year old eyes, so I may not be a Romeo-type anymore, but it works for us.

See those are fab ideas!  I think he was looking for gifts that are more inexpensive this year!  Hence all the random ideas on the thread.  Some good ideas so far.  Although I'm not sure about the socket wrench set. lol  :)