Author Topic: Oxford, Ms Presidential Debate Live Thread - September 26, 2008 - 9PM Eastern  (Read 28973 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Neither has been a particularly distinguished debater. McCain has a blunt and straightforward style; Obama can be much more cool and diffident. McCain's reputation for being easily angered can work against him, while Obama will have to fight a tendency to sound too nuanced and professorial.

I got the above quote from here: The Debate

Maybe I've been seeing a different Obama than the "journalist", but the Obama I've been seeing tends to sound somewhat like an idiot when without a teleprompter instead of "too nuanced and professorial". Is this just another case of media bias or have I missed something about Obama?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:03:56 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: The debate
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »
Obama's performance at SaddleSore was like an 0-16 football team. He didn't do anything right. Offense, Defense and Special Teams.
He can't do any worse, so he'll be seen as "doing better", which is the same as going from 0-16 to 3-13.
An improvement, but still no playoffs and certainly no Super Bowl. That just gets your coach fired.
John McCain is quite the opposite. He went 16-0 so any little thing will be seen as a loss. Going 12-4 after a perfect season is strong but it will be seen as a disappointment. 
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:42:45 PM »
So far Obama has demonstrated that he has a bitch of a time saying anything that actually makes sense when he is speaking off-script, and he has a ponderously over-intellectualized way of delivering the gibberish he eventually does manage to choke out.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »

I think I am going to turn this into the live debate thread . . . it's a pretty good start.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:26:11 PM »

the drinking words/phrases will be  . . . . .

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaand" (that elongated "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd" is just  -ing annoying)

"my sense is . . . "

"understand that . . . "

any combination of "bush", "mccain", "failed", and "policies" in the same sentence

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
Obama has a short fuse also. 

Dang, it's going to be good.    :popcorn:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:53:19 PM »

I think I am going to turn this into the live debate thread . . . it's a pretty good start.

Well, what time does it start?

No television here, remember.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »

Well, what time does it start?

No television here, remember.

9PM eastern, I believe.  I probably need to put that in the thread title . . . .

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Oxford, Ms Presidential Debate -- Live Thread -- September 26, 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
Thanks, sir.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »
Well remember, both candidates know the questions and have prepared answers...the only off the cuff responses will be when they are allowed to respond to eachother.  still may be worthwhile.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »
Well remember, both candidates know the questions and have prepared answers...the only off the cuff responses will be when they are allowed to respond to eachother.  still may be worthwhile.

I'm willing to put up a month's pay to hear McCain say: "Did that insanely stupid answer just come from YOUR  ****in' cryhole?!?  How the hell am I supposed to respond to that?!?!"

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jendf

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaand" (that elongated "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd" is just  -ing annoying)

"my sense is . . . "

"understand that . . . "

any combination of "bush", "mccain", "failed", and "policies" in the same sentence

We'll be trashed by 9:15.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »

"my sense is . . . "

"understand that . . . "

We'll be trashed by 9:15.

:rotf:   :cheersmate:

I'm at work or I'd do a shot everytime Barrack stutters "Uhh"

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: Oxford, Ms Presidential Debate Live Thread - September 26, 2008 - 9PM Easter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »

oh, and bonus H5's for the person that comes closest to guessing the time into the debate when someone makes the first reference to ole miss, segregation, and the first african american candidate for president in history.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....

oh, and bonus H5's for the person that comes closest to guessing the time into the debate when someone makes the first reference to ole miss, segregation, and the first african american candidate for president in history.

Dude, I'm so winning that one.   :-)
http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,11016.msg136581

Okay, wouldn't be funny if someone yells -

Are you ready? Hell yes! Damn Right!
Hotty Toddy, Gosh almighty
Who in the hell are we - Hey
Flim Flam, Bim Bam
Ole Miss By Damn!

:lmao:

Now, I got that out of my system. I've been wanting to yell that all week.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Oxford, Ms Presidential Debate Live Thread - September 26, 2008 - 9PM Easter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »

I say within two minutes in his opening remarks IF opening remarks are allowed. If not, during the answer to the first question.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
"Islam is a Religion of Peace"  will come out of Obama's mouth at least once throughout the debate.  Anyone care to bet me a jellybean?  :-)
Maybe even a gaffe referring himself as mooslim.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 05:52:10 PM »

Dude, I'm so winning that one.   :-)
http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,11016.msg136581

Okay, wouldn't be funny if someone yells -

Are you ready? Hell yes! Damn Right!
Hotty Toddy, Gosh almighty
Who in the hell are we - Hey
Flim Flam, Bim Bam
Ole Miss By Damn!

:lmao:

Now, I got that out of my system. I've been wanting to yell that all week.

back in the days when ole miss and southern miss played, they would print up 10,000 gold t-shirts with "ole miss kiss this" printed in a big arrow on the back pointing to the wearer's butt.

it was hilarious when I was 22 :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
^LOL!

So does anyone think teh Ooooobama will go for broke and make some controversial racial comment about the South?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »
^LOL!

So does anyone think teh Ooooobama will go for broke and make some controversial racial comment about the South?

The BarackStar! is playing to not lose.  fortunately, that is like a deep zone defense in football.  it's pretty easy to score against it.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 06:01:10 PM »

I suspect about a minute in , during opening comments by the moderator, how "we have come so far". Maybe even earlier by a news anchor.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 06:03:26 PM »

I suspect about a minute in , during opening comments by the moderator, how "we have come so far". Maybe even earlier by a news anchor.

that is what I was thinking, too.  I think you are the first one to pick the moderator.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Supposedly, the Obamessiah will try to make some comments blaming McCain for the economic mess, to keep McCain on the defensive.  I tend to think that McCain will bring up the $105,000+ that Obama got from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac quickly, and put the Obamessiah on his heels.

Hugh Hewitt has a thread on his blog which tries to establish an over/under for the times Obama says "Ummm . . ." or "You know," or 'Aaah," or "And."  Don't quite know what has been established.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »
Supposedly, the Obamessiah will try to make some comments blaming McCain for the economic mess, to keep McCain on the defensive.  I tend to think that McCain will bring up the $105,000+ that Obama got from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac quickly, and put the Obamessiah on his heels.

Hugh Hewitt has a thread on his blog which tries to establish an over/under for the times Obama says "Ummm . . ." or "You know," or 'Aaah," or "And."  Don't quite know what has been established.

I should make those drinking words. :uhsure:

I am hearing all over the place that obama is going to try to set mccain off, a la the court scene in A Few Good Men. :whatever:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
http://www.cnn.com/audio/radio/cnntv.html

Live audio feed for the peole who can't see their TV's from the computer (like me).  This came in very usefull during Saddleback.

I'd rather have Fox's audio feed, but I haven't found one yet.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.