Author Topic: Russia to help Cuba build space center  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Russia to help Cuba build space center
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »
Russia to help Cuba build space center
Russian officials said they want to renew Cuban ties after Soviet collapse
 updated 6:52 p.m. ET, Wed., Sept. 17, 2008
MOSCOW - Moscow is ready to help Cuba develop its own space center, Russia's space agency chief said on Wednesday after talks in Caracas with Venezuelan and Cuban officials, Itar-Tass news agency reported.

Russia has stepped up efforts to develop closer links with both countries, which are ideological enemies of Washington, including sending Russian strategic bombers on a mission to Venezuela this month.

"We have held preliminary discussions about the possibility of creating a space center in Cuba with our help," the chief of Russia's Federal Space Agency Anatoly Perminov was quoted as saying by Itar-Tass in Caracas.

Source

Missile bases in Cuba.....call it a Space Center and hopefully this time the Americans won't be suspicious....Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm :whatever:

Offline Jim

Re: Russia to help Cuba build space center
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »
when I saw this story I couldn't get these images of Cuban technology out of my head...

Are they gonna launch a 48 Buick into space ?  Will it even get out of cuban airspace ?

My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »
when I saw this story I couldn't get these images of Cuban technology out of my head...

Hence my remark.  This whole "deal" reeks of bullshit. 

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »

No No -- We stupid Americans don't understand -- Those things that look like cold-war era ICBMs are actually rockets destined for space exploration.... 

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:03:51 AM »
The Russkies are gonna' put their military in Cuba under the guise of helping Cuba's space program.

Haven't we seen this before?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:38:49 AM »
The Russkies are gonna' put their military in Cuba under the guise of helping Cuba's space program.

Haven't we seen this before?

Last time they tried this, we had someone in office who had the testicular fortitude to back the Russkies down.

I sure as shit hope we have similar brass balls in the CinC's seat this time.

Run Hillary Run!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:41:46 AM »
Cuba, with a Space Center? BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of the "Wilzyx" episode of South Park.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155142

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 09:56:27 AM »
If that's how they want to spend their hand-to-mouth energy income, goodie for them.  Better that than refitting their boomers.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:16:28 AM »

why does the punchline about the polish submarine sinking because someone forgot to close the screen door immediately come to mind?

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:33:01 AM »

No No -- We stupid Americans don't understand -- Those things that look like cold-war era ICBMs are actually rockets destined for space exploration.... 

the rocket that takes the russians into space today in fact was a cold war era ICBM
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 02:14:16 PM »
Actually, I think  the Russians are looking for a launch site that they can use to place satellites in geosynchronous orbit, which they are largely incapable of accomplishing from their present group of "cosmodromes".......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »

the rocket that takes the russians into space today in fact was a cold war era ICBM
[/quote]

I know, Scary ain't it ?   :-)  I really don't understand how the Russians can convince anyone to get launched in one..

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 03:44:29 PM »

I know, Scary ain't it ?   :-)  I really don't understand how the Russians can convince anyone to get launched in one..

Well....when it comes to this type of hardware application, there is no substitute for proven reliability (when it absolutely, positively has to work right every time) , and Russian "heavy lift" boosters have always been excellent designs.  When western quality control and manufacturing methods are used, the end result is a good combination.  You might be interested to know that a lot of the parts in the current crop of Russian boosters are built by General Dynamics, and Raytheon........I'm not defending the Russians, but facts are facts.....

Our "shuttle" ain't exactly new technology.......

doc

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »
I was able to find a sneak peek of the rendering of the Cuban space ship:

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »
Well....when it comes to this type of hardware application, there is no substitute for proven reliability (when it absolutely, positively has to work right every time) , and Russian "heavy lift" boosters have always been excellent designs.  When western quality control and manufacturing methods are used, the end result is a good combination.  You might be interested to know that a lot of the parts in the current crop of Russian boosters are built by General Dynamics, and Raytheon........I'm not defending the Russians, but facts are facts.....

doc

The shuttle is long outdated, for sure - but, in my original response I guess I was just being a bit too snarky -

"No No -- We stupid Americans don't understand -- Those things that look like cold-war era ICBMs are actually rockets destined for space exploration.... "

Basically suggesting that one or two of those converted ICBMs are less converted than we will be led to believe - when something goes wrong with the latest space launch and the craft "accidentally" slams into Florida.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 05:38:04 PM »
Translation:  Russia convinced Cuba to buy a lot of its useless crap.   

Nothing to see here folks. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 06:04:36 PM »
Russia has some serious problems looming.   They can't afford to build anything in Cuba:

But skeptics believe the buoyancy of the Russian economy, and a corporate sector in which key assets are increasingly controlled by the state, can't last. "These guys are running around now acting as if they're geniuses," says a senior executive at a foreign subsidiary based in Moscow, "because the Chinese and Indians are getting rich and driving up demand for everything. Talk about being born on third base and thinking you hit a triple."

A cautionary example is the oil and gas sector, the main beneficiary of the sharp rise in prices over the past three years - and a key sector in which the state has reasserted control. Production, analysts note, may actually decline this year as a result of flagging investment. In response, Russia cut corporate taxes in the oil and gas sector this past spring, but it's not clear that it will be enough to revive what should be a booming industry. A former Yukos executive who did not want to be identified says the problem is soaring costs and aging fields - both of which require "the industry's best technology and management to rectify. Unfortunately, they're doing their level best to drive that out of Russia. Look at Yukos. Look at TNK-BP now."

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/04/news/international/powell_KGB.fortune/index2.htm

Offline thundley4

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »
Anyone else see this as a possible response to the placement of US missile defense systems in Europe?  The ones that have pissed the Russkies off?

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 07:16:33 PM »

doc

The shuttle is long outdated, for sure - but, in my original response I guess I was just being a bit too snarky -

"No No -- We stupid Americans don't understand -- Those things that look like cold-war era ICBMs are actually rockets destined for space exploration.... "

Basically suggesting that one or two of those converted ICBMs are less converted than we will be led to believe - when something goes wrong with the latest space launch and the craft "accidentally" slams into Florida.

they haven't used that particular rocket as an ICBM since the early 1960s...  The rocket they use to send people to space is just an updated version of the one that sent sputnik up back in 1957. 

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »

cuba isn't going to run that place.  They will probably just be paid rent for the land.  I don't see how their rockets are "useless crap", who do you think is sending the supply capsules to the international space station?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 06:03:40 AM »

cuba isn't going to run that place.  They will probably just be paid rent for the land.  I don't see how their rockets are "useless crap", who do you think is sending the supply capsules to the international space station?

History has shown that the "top-of-the-line" materials they sell to other countries has indeed been useless crap.   I posted an article on Russia's economy which pretty much demonstrates that this little project they would like to engage Cuba in is not exactly prudent for their economic future  -- but of course we have seen this from Russia before have we not?

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 11:56:45 AM »

History has shown that the "top-of-the-line" materials they sell to other countries has indeed been useless crap.   I posted an article on Russia's economy which pretty much demonstrates that this little project they would like to engage Cuba in is not exactly prudent for their economic future  -- but of course we have seen this from Russia before have we not?

we're talking about rockets used to go to space.  Again, when have they been proven to be "useless crap"?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »

we're talking about rockets used to go to space.  Again, when have they been proven to be "useless crap"?

No, we are talking about a launching pad.   What?  you think Russia wants to help Cuba make space shuttles?   seriously?

Again, they have more pressing issues at home so they really can't afford such endeavors can they? 

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 12:26:59 PM »

No, we are talking about a launching pad.   What?  you think Russia wants to help Cuba make space shuttles?   seriously?

Again, they have more pressing issues at home so they really can't afford such endeavors can they? 

Cuba won't have anything to do with the place, they might be paid in rent, or some other form of compensation for use of the land, but no more.  How much do you think it will cost to build this place anyway?  You seem to think it's going to bankrupt them.