Author Topic: Russia to help Cuba build space center  (Read 6251 times)

Offline formerlurker

Re: Russia to help Cuba build space center
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »
Translation:  Russia convinced Cuba to buy a lot of its useless crap.   

Nothing to see here folks. 

cuba isn't going to run that place.  They will probably just be paid rent for the land.  I don't see how their rockets are "useless crap", who do you think is sending the supply capsules to the international space station?

History has shown that the "top-of-the-line" materials they sell to other countries has indeed been useless crap.   I posted an article on Russia's economy which pretty much demonstrates that this little project they would like to engage Cuba in is not exactly prudent for their economic future  -- but of course we have seen this from Russia before have we not?

we're talking about rockets used to go to space.  Again, when have they been proven to be "useless crap"?

No, we are talking about a launching pad.   What?  you think Russia wants to help Cuba make space shuttles?   seriously?

Again, they have more pressing issues at home so they really can't afford such endeavors can they? 

Cuba won't have anything to do with the place, they might be paid in rent, or some other form of compensation for use of the land, but no more.  How much do you think it will cost to build this place anyway?  You seem to think it's going to bankrupt them.

Moving their program to Cuba could very well bankrupt them given the problems they are having at home.   

Interesting note, it appears to all nonsense anyway:

The Russian deployment appeared to be a response to the American move to send warships to deliver aid to Georgia after its war last month with Russia.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin harshly criticized America and NATO naval deployment to the Black Sea last month and threatened unspecified retaliation.

Without specifically referring to the deployment of bombers to Venezuela, Mr. Putin appeared to indicate today that it was a response to the American navy presence in the Black Sea.

"God forbid from engaging in any kind of controversy in the American continent; this is considered the 'holiest of the holy,'" Mr. Putin said during a meeting with Western political scholars at his Black Sea residence in Sochi. "And they drive ships with weapons to a place just 10 kilometers from where we're at? Is this normal? Is this an equitable move?"

http://www.nysun.com/foreign/russia-pledges-more-overseas-deployments/85666/

Just a temper tantrum of sorts.  Russia has zero support for their aircraft and its a long way home.  Yawn.     

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »
what do you mean by zero support? zero in venezuela, or in general?
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 02:11:03 PM »
The only thing keeping Putins space program going is American tax dollars. He doesn't have the cash to fund this and his own space program at home. IF there is even so much as a whiff of something amiss the Russians would loose all that multi billion dollar support for their trips to the ISS and we keep the shuttle fleet going for another 5 - 10 years..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:37:23 PM by Airwolf »
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »
The only t6hing keeping putins space program going is American Tax dollars. He doesn't have the cash to fund this and his own space prgram at home. IF there is even so much as a whiff of something amiss the Russians would loose all that multi billion dollar support for their trips to the ISS and we keep the shuttle fleet going for another 5 - 10 years..

so all those companies/governments that use them to launch their satellites are just doing it for free?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »

They will be flying in their parts and mechanics while they sit and wait, and wait, and wait.

We of course will be so impressed by their show of force.....

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
The only t6hing keeping putins space program going is American Tax dollars. He doesn't have the cash to fund this and his own space prgram at home. IF there is even so much as a whiff of something amiss the Russians would loose all that multi billion dollar support for their trips to the ISS and we keep the shuttle fleet going for another 5 - 10 years..

so all those companies/governments that use them to launch their satellites are just doing it for free?

Use them.  Use us.   Use other countries.   

So?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 04:18:45 PM »

Yeah it is all show by Putin. 

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »

They will be flying in their parts and mechanics while they sit and wait, and wait, and wait.

if you're talking about the 2 bombers in venezuela, then it already happened, and they already left..

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 04:46:04 PM »

if you're talking about the 2 bombers in venezuela, then it already happened, and they already left..

I am talking about the "threat" of regular missions to Venezuela.   

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »
Matrix, if you were any more Pro Russian their asses would have your lip prints all over it.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
Matrix, if you were any more Pro Russian their asses would have your lip prints all over it.

right.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 06:44:53 PM »

So?

so our tax dollars aren't the only thing keeping them around...

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 06:55:09 PM »

I've been wanting to use this smiley... :suckup:

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 07:35:46 PM »

actually, i have seen the light.

We should bomb that russkie launch pad as soon as its done.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 08:19:40 PM »

So?

I don't understand what your point is with regard to this conversation.     The money that is paid to Russia to launch satellites for corporations will not make a hill of beans difference in their looming problems with their economy.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 08:20:28 PM »

actually, i have seen the light.

We should bomb that russkie launch pad as soon as its done.

Nah, we'll let mother nature take care of it.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »

So?

I don't understand what your point is with regard to this conversation.     The money that is paid to Russia to launch satellites for corporations will not make a hill of beans difference in their looming problems with their economy.

that response was addressed to airwolf

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2008, 10:32:33 PM »
Look Forrest ,if your just going to come on here and be a wet between the legs cheerleader for the Russians, I'm certain DU would love to have you join up.
MOLON LABE

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 02:54:49 AM »
Look Forrest ,if your just going to come on here and be a wet between the legs cheerleader for the Russians, I'm certain DU would love to have you join up.

as usual, your comments are insightful and interesting.  Let's examine your posts in this thread, shall we?  first you said:

"The only t6hing[sic] keeping putins space program going is American Tax dollars. He doesn't have the cash to fund this and his own space prgram[sic] at home. IF there is even so much as a whiff of something amiss the Russians would loose[sic] all that multi billion dollar support for their trips to the ISS and we keep the shuttle fleet going for another 5 - 10 years..

sentence structure and spelling aside, your "insightful" post is simply factually incorrect.  Of course, correcting your error would be being a "cheerleader for the Russians", wouldn't it?