Author Topic: COVID-19 and Magical Thinking  (Read 1222 times)

Offline CC27

COVID-19 and Magical Thinking
« on: December 13, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »
MineralMan (140,624 posts)

COVID-19 and Magical Thinking

It's weird. Effective vaccines are readily available at no cost. If you get them and follow up with the second dose and even a booster, your chances of dying of COVID-19 are almost non-existent. Any real "research" on the subject will lead to discovering that truth over and over again from multiple sources.

For whatever reason, about 30% of the US population rejects the idea of the COVID-19 vaccines. Why? Because they're using magical thinking, instead of any sort of rational logic. Who knows what leads people to ignore science and falsely believe that they will never contract COVID-19, end up in a hospital, or die from the disease. They know people who have become sick and probably people who have died from it, but they believe firmly that they will not get sick from the virus.

Maybe Jesus will protect them. Maybe they heard Donald Trump say it was just like "the flu." Maybe they're gargling Listerine. Whatever they are doing, rather than getting vaccinated, it is based on magical thinking. And once a person commits to magical thinking, it's almost impossible to reverse that in many cases.

Then, when they get sick from the virus, they ask for the vaccine, only to be told it's too late for vaccination now. Then they demand whatever the current magical "cure" is. Ivermectin, maybe. But, that isn't effective at all, so there's no point. Then, when they're near death or some relative dies, that magical thinking goes on to blame the hospital, the doctor, the medical staff, instead of themselves for not getting vaccinated.

Magical thinking is potentially deadly thinking. Right now, it is realistically deadly thinking and the hospitals are filled with unvaccinated people at death's door. Almost all of those desperately ill people are magical thinkers. It's so horribly sad and inexplicable that so many people believe that magic of some sort will save them.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216140632

Magical condescending thinking from rockhead.

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: COVID-19 and Magical Thinking
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 04:15:16 PM »
has he been taking word salad writing courses from the drunk Canadian?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 05:13:55 PM »
Already caught it, sore back and a head cold for a weekend. Why vaccinate?
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 06:45:34 PM »
When DUmmies profess to understand people they hate ... :rotf:  :rotf:  :rotf:  :rotf:  :rotf:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 07:54:00 PM »
COVID-19 and magical thinking-

World: *Gets 100% vaccinated.*

COVID: *Dies.*

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 09:29:45 PM »
Already caught it, sore back and a head cold for a weekend. Why vaccinate?

Hey Land, I'm with you ... and my family doctor agreed with me.

I already caught it as well.  Felt rotten, sneezing my self silly, blowing my nose, head ache, felt just like a severe cold.

First day was the day before Thanksgiving, while I was up to my eyeballs with preparations for a complete turkey dinner the next day. 
Took 2 aspirins - 1,000 mg. vitamin C - 1,000 I.U. Vita D3 - & 50 mg zink.  Had some chicken noodle soup ,a nap in the afternoon, and went to bed early.

Thanksgiving day, still not quite up to par, took all my vitamins plus zink again, made dinner & couldn't taste a blessed thing!

Ate very little, but still managed to finish my glass of wine anyway!   :-)

Two days of feeling crappy and on the third day felt mostly back to normal. Am still taking all of the above in case Mr. ABC, who's had his 2 shots, plus his booster, and "sheds" all over me!   :lmao:

:edit:  And dear MineralLibMan ...

I'll take my  "Magical Thinking" over whatever it is *you* believe in, if anything!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 09:44:44 PM by ABC-2 »
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 04:54:49 AM »
"If you get them and follow up with the second and even a booster, your chances of dying of COVID-19 are almost non- existent."
Your chances of dying from COVID- 19 are ALREADY almost non- existent, especially if you're not a senior citizen and don't have a pre- existing condition.
Hell, at least 80% of those who contract COVID don't even require any kind of special medical attention!

Btw, DUmmies, I'm speaking as someone who got myself vaccinated way back in March.

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 10:48:06 AM »
Explain to me or genius DUchebag, why are the hospital admissions 45-60% vaccinated people?

Also explain or wise medical DUmbass, why are the unvaccinated harmful to the vaccinated if the vaccinations actually work?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 10:52:03 AM »
Quote from: MineralMan
Effective vaccines are readily available at no cost. If you get them and follow up with the second dose and even a booster, your chances of dying of COVID-19 are almost non-existent.

It's 'a booster' now, and then in a couple of months there will be another booster, and then rinse and repeat ad nauseam. Interesting definition of 'effective' when it needs to be 'topped up' every six months.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 11:02:54 AM »
Explain to me or genius DUchebag, why are the hospital admissions 45-60% vaccinated people?

Also explain or wise medical DUmbass, why are the unvaccinated harmful to the vaccinated if the vaccinations actually work?

Don't use facts or logic with DUmmies, they prefer narrative and emotions.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 11:05:38 PM »
Hey Land, I'm with you ... and my family doctor agreed with me.

I already caught it as well.  Felt rotten, sneezing my self silly, blowing my nose, head ache, felt just like a severe cold.

First day was the day before Thanksgiving, while I was up to my eyeballs with preparations for a complete turkey dinner the next day. 
Took 2 aspirins - 1,000 mg. vitamin C - 1,000 I.U. Vita D3 - & 50 mg zink.  Had some chicken noodle soup ,a nap in the afternoon, and went to bed early.

Thanksgiving day, still not quite up to par, took all my vitamins plus zink again, made dinner & couldn't taste a blessed thing!

Ate very little, but still managed to finish my glass of wine anyway!   :-)

Two days of feeling crappy and on the third day felt mostly back to normal. Am still taking all of the above in case Mr. ABC, who's had his 2 shots, plus his booster, and "sheds" all over me!   :lmao:

:edit:  And dear MineralLibMan ...

I'll take my  "Magical Thinking" over whatever it is *you* believe in, if anything!
Glad you got better. My wife had the taste and smell thing, but it didn't do that to me. The Monday after, I unloaded 14000 pounds our of the back of a semi at a truck stop. I could've stayed home, but the dire stories about it made me think it was just a cold or something. Too mean and onry for it to stick around I guess

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 10:23:07 PM »
Have a very important question to ask of readers of this thread ...

What is your opinion on why the FDA, wants to suppress the FOIA requests, for 55 years re the results of the  Emergency Use Authorization  (EUA) of the Pfizer vaccine for Covid19?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 04:15:58 AM by ABC-2 »

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 04:36:57 AM »

What is your opinion on why the FDA, wants to suppress the FOIA requests, for 55 years re the results of the  Emergency Use Authorization  (EUA) of the Pfizer vaccine for Covid19?
Ooooh...thats an easy one. Similar reasoning, the VA was having tons of cancer cases due to agent orange and did everything they could to deny that the military was responsible. Lost paperwork, denial of service, you name it. You'll see the government do the same thing in a few years when the long term effects of the jab become apparent

Offline SVPete

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 08:01:14 AM »

Is this from a news story?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 08:29:28 AM »

We'll all be dead before FDA releases full COVID vaccine record, plaintiffs say

In advance of a court hearing before a federal judge in Fort Worth, Texas, Tuesday, the Food and Drug Administration has offered by the end of January to make public 12,000 pages of data that it relied on to license Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine.

At first glance, that sounds like a lot of material.

Except a group of scientists and doctors who’ve sued the agency under the Freedom of Information Act is seeking an estimated 400,000-plus additional pages of information about the vaccine’s approval. Under the FDA’s proposed schedule – the agency pledges to release “a minimum” of 500 pages a month after the initial dump – the full trove might not be made public until the year 2097.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/well-all-be-dead-before-fda-releases-full-covid-vaccine-record-plaintiffs-say-2021-12-13/
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 09:06:56 AM »

Here it is. Can't remember where I had read/heard about it originally, so had to search for it & found the following.

Believe it or not from an ABC station yet ...  (hopefully it works this time)

www.abc10.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/fda-pfizer-vaccine-foia-55-years/507-a4a9b0b3-b184-4da9-a1fd-d3ec0a2d6616

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:12:45 AM by ABC-2 »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2021, 09:24:35 AM »
Here it is. Can't remember where I had read/heard about it originally, so had to search for it & found the following.

Believe it or not from an ABC station yet ...  (hopefully it works this time)

www.abc10.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/fda-pfizer-vaccine-foia-55-years/507-a4a9b0b3-b184-4da9-a1fd-d3ec0a2d6616

From the article:

The Food and Drug Administration suggests it will take the agency 55 years to answer a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for data related to the licensing of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine. That's according to a joint court filing with both parties Monday.
The FDA said in its part of the court filing that there are more than 329,000 pages that may be part of the FOIA request. The agency said that would be 80,000 pages per month to meet the proposed deadline.

Part of the issue, it claims, is that the FDA office that would need to do the work has ten employees, including two trainees, and is currently processing about 400 FOIA requests. It also says the process is time-consuming as each page must be reviewed "line-by-line" and some information exempt from FOIA would need to be redacted.

The FDA said the standard would be to release 500 pages per month on a rolling basis — 6,000 pages per year. Divide 329,000 by 6,000 and the result is 54.83 years.

Your article answers your question. No conspiracy, just the realities of staffing, the process, the number of documents to be processed, and the amount of FOIA requests already being processed.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2021, 09:47:48 AM »
Glad you got better. My wife had the taste and smell thing, but it didn't do that to me. The Monday after, I unloaded 14000 pounds our of the back of a semi at a truck stop. I could've stayed home, but the dire stories about it made me think it was just a cold or something. Too mean and onry for it to stick around I guess

It actually felt like a real beast of a head cold coming on to me. 

Like you, with the exception of your strength ...

I also, must be "too mean and onry for it to stick around!"   :lmao:   :cheersmate:   ~ ABC

Offline jukin

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »

IIRC the FDA wanted 55 years but ended up with 70 years. I'm sure it is all legit and nothing nefarious at all. Continue working citizen and know that you have been recorded in the FDA "bad" book for future action.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2021, 10:30:56 AM »
From the article:

Your article answers your question. No conspiracy, just the realities of staffing, the process, the number of documents to be processed, and the amount of FOIA requests already being processed.

Part of the issue, it claims, is that the FDA office that would need to do the work has ten employees, including two trainees, and is currently processing about 400 FOIA requests.

Well, all I can say for that FDA office is they can "cry me a river" and  hire more employees tout de suite to at least try to expedite the entire process.

Plus, for starters, put someone far more capable of managing  the job at hand  ...

In charge of the place!!!

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 10:40:01 AM by ABC-2 »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2021, 11:15:36 AM »
Well, all I can say for that FDA office is they can "cry me a river" and  hire more employees tout de suite to at least try to expedite the entire process.

Plus, for starters, put someone far more capable of managing  the job at hand  ...

In charge of the place!!!

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

So if they had 10X the employees, magically-instantaneous training :rotf: , and, equally magically, none are are non-productive manglers :rotf: , the time for fulfillment would still be over 5 years. Do you really believe the anti-Covid-vax CTers would be satisfied with that? ::) The court gave the anti-Covid-vax CTer lawfare-lawsuit what they sued for, but in a realistic form that defeated their lawfare purpose, :rotf: , poor babies :lmao: .

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2021, 07:35:54 PM »
I did not mean to imply that  any amount of new employees , 10x, 20x, or whatever, would be "magically, instantaneously" able to be trained  & fit for the job.

I have no idea, of  what exactly, is involved in their training, nor how long it takes to reach the needed qualifications, do you?

As for clinical trials, yes, they are of the utmost importance,  used by both groups of volunteer participants in the studies, and I have no idea how long they are usually conducted, do you?

My main concern is why on earth it should take anywhere near 55 long years or so to let us know the results of all the data collected.

Aren't we entitled to at  least know,  while the FDA is still operating under an EUA category, and have not given their approval as yet on the vaccines, how long that will take for them to do so?   

« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:07:19 AM by ABC-2 »

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2021, 07:50:44 PM »
IIRC the FDA wanted 55 years but ended up with 70 years. I'm sure it is all legit and nothing nefarious at all. Continue working citizen and know that you have been recorded in the FDA "bad" book for future action.

Hell's bells, am most likely already in their "bad" books for being a white, Christian, Trump voter!  ...

And am not about to change!!!  :-)

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2021, 11:46:20 AM »

One more post in this thread, then on with making this Christmas in our house, as normal as possible.

Why not a complete data release from Pfizer, 'til most people alive today won't live long enough to see it???

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!  And outta here ...  :bolt: 

Offline SVPete

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2021, 11:53:49 AM »
One more post in this thread, then on with making this Christmas in our house, as normal as possible.

Why not a complete data release from Pfizer, 'til most people alive today won't live long enough to see it???

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!  And outta here ...  :bolt:

Reposting this canard doesn't make it true. From my posts above:

From the article:

The Food and Drug Administration suggests it will take the agency 55 years to answer a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for data related to the licensing of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine. That's according to a joint court filing with both parties Monday.
The FDA said in its part of the court filing that there are more than 329,000 pages that may be part of the FOIA request. The agency said that would be 80,000 pages per month to meet the proposed deadline.

Part of the issue, it claims, is that the FDA office that would need to do the work has ten employees, including two trainees, and is currently processing about 400 FOIA requests. It also says the process is time-consuming as each page must be reviewed "line-by-line" and some information exempt from FOIA would need to be redacted.

The FDA said the standard would be to release 500 pages per month on a rolling basis — 6,000 pages per year. Divide 329,000 by 6,000 and the result is 54.83 years.

The you posted rebuts the canard. No conspiracy, just the realities of staffing, the process, the number of documents to be processed, and the amount of FOIA requests already being processed.

If the FDA had 10X the employees doing the vetting and necessary redacting, with magically-instantaneous training :rotf: , and, equally magically, none are are non-productive manglers :rotf: , the time for fulfillment would still be over 5 years. Do you really believe the anti-Covid-vax CTers would be satisfied with that? ::) The court gave the anti-Covid-vax CTer lawfare-lawsuit what they sued for, but in a realistic form that defeated their lawfare purpose, :rotf: , poor babies :lmao: