Author Topic: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.  (Read 49917 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »
Jen, if you were referring to me, naaah.  I haven't been to Shea in 34 years.  Just a rabid fan.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jendf

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2008, 06:32:47 PM »
Jen, if you were referring to me, naaah.  I haven't been to Shea in 34 years.  Just a rabid fan.

Whoops! Yeah, I was referring to you.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »
 :chairshot: :therock: :yawn:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2008, 07:21:28 AM »

I know you're as excited about the Phils showdown with Atlanta as I am!  We can lock up a post-season slot with what we do against Atlanta the rest of the year, we've owned them this season.  :cheersmate: 

And can you believe Milwaukee firing Ned Yost?  Why does everyone think firing the manager will give you a sudden burst?   :mental:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2008, 07:52:20 AM »
Yost is toast. I know the fans have been calling for his head since their melt down late last year.  The Brewers put everything into winning it all this year, and it isn't going to happen.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2008, 08:07:42 AM »

Before you freak (I am referring to an upstream post), the Dodgers are famous for collapsing in the stretch.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2008, 08:08:04 AM »

I know you're as excited about the Phils showdown with Atlanta as I am!  We can lock up a post-season slot with what we do against Atlanta the rest of the year, we've owned them this season.  :cheersmate: 

And can you believe Milwaukee firing Ned Yost?  Why does everyone think firing the manager will give you a sudden burst?   :mental:

she wouldn't know ned yost from french toast, and wouldn't trouble herself with which one is supposed to have syrup poured all over it. :-)
and she wouldn't consider that a bad thing at all. :p

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2008, 08:20:37 AM »

Before you freak (I am referring to an upstream post), the Dodgers are famous for collapsing in the stretch.

well, I'm not sure about famous.  they are probably more famous for collapsing in august.  but there is a healthy dose of the giants still out there on the schedule.  I am extremely conscious of the fact that LA ends the season with 3 at home against the giants, 3 at home against the padres, and then close the season out with 3 at SF. if the race is still in question for that series (and I am assuming that it probably will be), the giant fans will turn out in droves. one of the reasons that the dodgers/giants rivalry is so steeped with hatred is because these two teams love to knock each other out of the playoffs when the other team is already out of the race.  not to mention the fact that they have 3 games against the pirates right in front of them, who swept the cardinals over the weekend.

it isn't over until it's finally over.  if baseball has taught me anything over the years, it has taught me that.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2008, 08:31:50 AM »

she wouldn't know ned yost from french toast, and wouldn't trouble herself with which one is supposed to have syrup poured all over it. :-)

Don't let her fool you, she's a rabid purist baseball fan.  She's the one who bought Barry Bond's HR ball and put an asterik on it.  That guy in the news was just a decoy.   :-)

Offline jendf

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2008, 09:11:07 AM »

You don't know how much I wish for that everyday. LOL.  :-)

Offline jendf

« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »

Don't let her fool you, she's a rabid purist baseball fan.  She's the one who bought Barry Bond's HR ball and put an asterik on it.  That guy in the news was just a decoy.   :-)

Off topic: Your new avatar and message just cracks me up.  :-)

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2008, 09:16:46 AM »

Off topic: Your new avatar and message just cracks me up.  :-)

Sometimes you just gotta scream  :-)

Offline jendf

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2008, 09:18:07 PM »

They sure collapsed in today's game with the Pirates. Bottom of the 8th right now with a score of 15-7.

I'm listening to the D-backs game and we are ahead by 3 but it's early. I sure hope we can close the gap tonight. 3 1/2 game lead looks less intimidating than 4 1/2.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »

They sure collapsed in today's game with the Pirates. Bottom of the 8th right now with a score of 15-7.

I'm listening to the D-backs game and we are ahead by 3 but it's early. I sure hope we can close the gap tonight. 3 1/2 game lead looks less intimidating than 4 1/2.

The lower the opponent, the lower the Dodgers play.

You are in good shape, trust me.

Whomever wins the NLW gets in -- no one else in that Division even gets close to wild card.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:58 PM »

The lower the opponent, the lower the Dodgers play.

You are in good shape, trust me.

Whomever wins the NLW gets in -- no one else in that Division even gets close to wild card.

if you are going to "trust" someone, jen, make it someone that knows something about baseball besides tired-ass
cliches and threadbare bromides about "playing down to the competition".  it was ridiculously easy to blow this bit
of anecdotal (and counter-intuitive, I might add) silliness out of the water.

LA is  43-33 (.566) against teams under .500 : (ATL, CIN, CLE, COL, DET, PIT, SDP, SFG, WSN)
LA is  36-39 (.480) against teams over .500 : (ARI, CHC, CHW, FLA, HOU, LAA, MIL, NYM, PHI, STL)

sorry, airline boy, but this utterly refutes your grand theory of the dodgers playing down to the competition.  wanna
try a different cliche?  maybe they don't give 110%, or maybe the thought it was a sprint, not a marathon . . . .

and thanks for the primer on the wild card standings, but I don't think anyone was suffering from any delusions about
the NL west sending two teams to the playoffs this year.

I usually ignore FD's pathologically dodger hating baseball posts, but getting a ****ing snowman hung on you in the 7th
inning during a pennant race will exhaust your patience.  I hope to feel better in the morning. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »

some extremely, um, odd pitching changes in the 7th inning for LA tonight.  :uhsure: and nomar left with a knee injury in the fifth. :whatever:

I watched your game tonight after the slaughter in pittsburgh ended . . . how did that ninth inning sit with you, jen? :-)  :tongue:

you got out with the win, that's all that matter, of course.  Az gets that freaking Lincecum kid tomorrow.  I believe that if the
pitching rotations hold, LA won't see him again this season.  but I wouldn't be surprised to see the giants juggle that around, though.

Offline jendf

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2008, 09:57:18 AM »

some extremely, um, odd pitching changes in the 7th inning for LA tonight.  :uhsure: and nomar left with a knee injury in the fifth. :whatever:

I watched your game tonight after the slaughter in pittsburgh ended . . . how did that ninth inning sit with you, jen? :-)  :tongue:
you got out with the win, that's all that matter, of course.  Az gets that freaking Lincecum kid tomorrow.  I believe that if the
pitching rotations hold, LA won't see him again this season.  but I wouldn't be surprised to see the giants juggle that around, though.

Yeah. Let's not discuss that. :banghead: I was about to start throwing things at my radio. Slaten nearly botched it for us. But Melvin seems to be getting tougher or is finally completely exasperated by his bullpen because he yanked him after walking two guys. Thank goodness.

Like I said before, I'm really too young to be getting ulcers over stupid shit like this.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2008, 12:11:30 AM »

Yeah. Let's not discuss that. :banghead: I was about to start throwing things at my radio. Slaten nearly botched it for us. But Melvin seems to be getting tougher or is finally completely exasperated by his bullpen because he yanked him after walking two guys. Thank goodness.

Like I said before, I'm really too young to be getting ulcers over stupid shit like this.

I feel your pain.  I endured a difficult 12th inning this afternoon in pittsburgh.  how's this for not fun :

Pittsburgh - Bottom of 12th   SCORE
Jonathan Broxton pitching for Los Angeles   LAD   PIT
J Broxton relieved S Proctor.   4   3
R Doumit struck out swinging.   4   3
N Morgan walked.   4   3
N Morgan stole second.   4   3
L Cruz grounded out to pitcher, N Morgan to third.   4   3
N McLouth intentionally walked.   4   3
N McLouth stole second.   4   3
J Michaels popped out to second.   4   3

torre intentionally walked the potential winning run.  it worked, but it was difficult to watch.

I watched Az beat lincecum tonight.  good job.  that is only his fourth loss of the season.   :o

next you have three at colorado, who Az has stomped the shit out of all season (in fact, 6 of your
remaining 10 games are against the rox) and we are at home for three against the giants, who
always give us fits.  I thought last month that the d'backs four game series at StL next week will
be pivotal.  and our fate will be decided against SD and SF.

you realize that we are both going to be mostly scar tissue by the time this is all over, don't you? :-)

Offline jendf

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2008, 12:26:59 AM »

I feel your pain.  I endured a difficult 12th inning this afternoon in pittsburgh.  how's this for not fun :

N Morgan walked.   4   3

torre intentionally walked the potential winning run.  it worked, but it was difficult to watch.

I watched Az beat lincecum tonight.  good job.  that is only his fourth loss of the season.   :o

next you have three at colorado, who Az has stomped the shit out of all season (in fact, 6 of your
remaining 10 games are against the rox) and we are at home for three against the giants, who
always give us fits.  I thought last month that the d'backs four game series at StL next week will

you realize that we are both going to be mostly scar tissue by the time this is all over, don't you? :-)

I think I'm going to need therapy after this season.  :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2008, 12:41:46 AM »

N Morgan walked.   4   3

I think I'm going to need therapy after this season.  :-)

looking at it as objectively as I can, I would be pissed off at the scheduling if I was a dbacks fan.  you play
three at bullpen torching coors field, then go straight to StL for four and straight back to finish with three at
home against the rox.  no off days.  that is a pretty difficult 10 game stretch.

but I'm not any happier playing our last 10 games against two teams that truly hate us.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2008, 06:16:01 AM »

speaking of crappy scheduling, LA has a home game the night after a game on the other side of the country . . . not that I am obsessing or anything.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »

speaking of crappy scheduling, LA has a home game the night after a game on the other side of the country . . . not that I am obsessing or anything.

But at least, when doing that, you gain a couple of hours.  The eastern teams lose a couple.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jendf

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2008, 09:32:34 AM »

I think we've moved past obsession and are venturing into psychosis territory.  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »

Well, today, for the first time, I heard "Dodgers" and "Magic Number" (7?) used in the same sentence.

FWIIW.

ps: What does "had a snowman hung on you" mean?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2008, 09:33:55 AM »

I think we've moved past obsession and are venturing into psychosis territory.  :-)

Sports in general will do that to you.