Author Topic: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.  (Read 48392 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2008, 07:57:28 PM »
That's it. I give up. Anyone recommend a nice cliff I can jump off of? :banghead:

Don't completely freak out.  I mean, an MLB team in AZ is more a concept than an actual reality.

Just enjoy having Baseball in your area and consider any "run" as gravy.

:bird:

I don't think the franchise is doing too shabby, considering the fact that they won the world series in their fourth year of existence.

Gotta agree with you, Wretch.  Jen, WE said something about this going to the last week.  I've said the same thing to Red, about the NL East.  I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that both the NL West winner and the Mets (hey, even though I said the NL East would go to the last week, I did say that the Mets will win the division) will go to the NLCS.  Mets go to the WS, though . . . and pull off an upset.  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

no predictions out of me.  it would offend the baseball gods.  hell, I am almost afraid to post at all during a winning streak. :-)

I told you that when the D-backs organization started taking entries for the ticket lottery for postseason tickets, that we would be toast. They totally jinxed it. Those jackasses.

Our shitacular bullpen and non-existent offense have absolutely nothing to do with it. I swear. :-)

I think everyone with a shot at the playoffs put them on sale at about the same time.  you just about have to do that early, just because of the logistics of the thing.

and I told you, this thing isn't over.  hell, colorado could turn into the tasmanian rockies again, and come kick both of our teams asses. :-)  it's baseball.  you can't believe it until it is over.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »
That's it. I give up. Anyone recommend a nice cliff I can jump off of? :banghead:

Don't completely freak out.  I mean, an MLB team in AZ is more a concept than an actual reality.

You want reality, WE?  When was the last title you guys won?  When did the D-Backs win the Series?  Where were you last year when the D-Backs were in the NLCS?

Physician, heal thyself. 

I think that perhaps you may want to go back and look more carefully at who said what.  I have generally been very respectful of Az.  They beat us flat last season.

and it was the rockies that won the NLCS, by the way.  I assume you meant the NL west, which Az indeed won.

Uh, yes, I'm well aware of that.  The point being they had to win MORE THAN ONE POSTSEASON GAME IN 20 YEARS to get there.  Three, to be precise.  And although they were beaten by the Rox, the fact remains that just in one postseason, they've tripled the number of postseason wins you've managed over the past two decades.  And don't think for a second Manny or anyone else is going to help you increase that total this year.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »

You want reality, WE?  When was the last title you guys won?  When did the D-Backs win the Series?  Where were you last year when the D-Backs were in the NLCS?

Physician, heal thyself. 

I think that perhaps you may want to go back and look more carefully at who said what.  I have generally been very respectful of Az.  They beat us flat last season.

and it was the rockies that won the NLCS, by the way.  I assume you meant the NL west, which Az indeed won.

Uh, yes, I'm well aware of that.  The point being they had to win MORE THAN ONE POSTSEASON GAME IN 20 YEARS to get there.  Three, to be precise.  And although they were beaten by the Rox, the fact remains that just in one postseason, they've tripled the number of postseason wins you've managed over the past two decades.  And don't think for a second Manny or anyone else is going to help you increase that total this year.

did you actually go back and look at who made the comment that you jumped?  it wasn't me.  I'm perfectly willing to have this fight if you really want to, but you're attacking an argument that I just didn't make.

all I did was point out that you were wrong about Az winning the NLCS.  the rockies won the NLCS.  Az won the NL west.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2008, 09:37:52 AM »

LA starts a three game set at the rox tonight.  colorado is where the dodgers' playoff hopes
went to die last season, so my normal pessimism that marks the beginning of a series at colorado
(I hate that ballpark) is tainted this weekend by actual empirical evidence of september disasters.

I especially hate the pitching matchup on sunday;  maddux and cook.

after that, it's off to pittsburgh . . .

Offline jendf

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
Our latest acquisition, Adam Dunn, gets to say hi to his old teammates as we play the Reds for three games followed by a 3-game series with the Giants who beat us not once, but twice, in the 9th inning with 2 outs last week. It should be an interesting week.  :whatever:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2008, 11:27:12 AM »
Our latest acquisition, Adam Dunn, gets to say hi to his old teammates as we play the Reds for three games followed by a 3-game series with the Giants who beat us not once, but twice, in the 9th inning with 2 outs last week. It should be an interesting week.  :whatever:

I saw it.  that even made me wince.  :(

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2008, 10:00:21 AM »
Aaaaah . . . Kevin Kernan's column in today's New York Post is great.

METS CAN THANK YANKS FOR BELTRAN, SANTANA

by Kevin Kernan

Posted: 3:46 am
September 13, 2008

THIS could have been so different.

Johan SantanaJohan Santana  will start today in the first game of the MetsNew York Mets ' doubleheader against the Braves at Shea Stadium, and Carlos BeltranCarlos Beltran  will be in his usual spot, center field.

They both could have been in the Yankees lineup over in The Bronx. The Yankees could have had both superstars. What a difference that would have made for both the Mets and Yankees.

Braves manager Bobby Cox said one of the best aspects of Shea is the visiting dugout.

"You can actually see the game," he said last night, hours before the rainout.

The rest is at . . .

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09132008/sports/mets/mets_can_thank_yanks_for_beltran___santa_128900.htm

Again, it's amazing what spending a quarter of a billion (the combined salaries of Beltran and Santana, give-or-take) will do . . .  :evillaugh:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2008, 05:10:37 AM »
Yesterday was a true doubleheader for the Braves and the Mets.  Big thing--the Braves kept the Mets from breaking the game open in the bottom of the sixth.  In the top of the eighth, the Braves scored three runs, and shut the Mets down.  Thing is, Santana got charged with two of those runs, so he didn't get the loss (3-2 Braves).  In the nightcap, Jon Niese, in his second MLB start, went eight innings of shutout ball, got his first MLB hit, and got run support early from the Mets (David Wright and Jose Reyes both hit HRs).  Mets win, 5-0, so they lose 1/2 game to the Phillthies.

The line on Niese (aka "The Future") went:  8 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K.  Jose Reyes said that Niese has the best curveball from a lefthander that he's ever seen, and considering the fact that Reyes has seen Barry Zito's curve, that's pretty high praise.  Then again, they are teammates.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline jendf

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2008, 06:44:21 PM »
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I've resorted to mere grunts now at this point.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2008, 09:27:25 PM »
Zambrano blows it by Erstad, strike 3. He gets his no-hitter.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2008, 09:32:40 PM »
Thanks to ESPN, the game was blacked out for many people. Fortunately, someone was running a pirate broadcast, so I was able to see the game.  The Astros are not  happy about playing at Wrigley Field North.  :lmao:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »
Thanks to ESPN, the game was blacked out for many people. Fortunately, someone was running a pirate broadcast, so I was able to see the game.  The Astros are not  happy about playing at Wrigley Field North.  :lmao:

They only showed the ninth. After that they went back to Tigers/Chisox.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »
How many games left in the season?

Offline jendf

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2008, 10:10:33 PM »
How many games left in the season?

14 for the D-backs
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:13:31 PM by jendf »

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2008, 05:17:03 AM »
Luis Ayala blew the save for Ollie Perez in the ninth.  The Phillthies responded by sweeping the Brewers.  Mets up by one, Pedro going for them tonight in DC.

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »

I am afraid to say anything.  the karmic balance is that delicate.  :-)

Offline jendf

« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2008, 10:47:34 AM »

No need to be afraid. The D-backs are partaking in the meltdown of the century. You guys just keep getting runs and you've got it.

Our guys appear to have given up on runs and good at-bats. I hate baseball.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2008, 10:51:14 AM »

No need to be afraid. The D-backs are partaking in the meltdown of the century. You guys just keep getting runs and you've got it.

pssssssst.  LA went to extras yesterday at colorado before losing.  it was 0-0 after 9 innings.  I don't think that had ever happened
before.  that ain't scoring runs.  jus' sayin'

Offline jendf

« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »

pssssssst.  LA went to extras yesterday at colorado before losing.  it was 0-0 after 9 innings.  I don't think that had ever happened

1 game of not scoring runs is a little different than say...10 games of craptacular baseball.  :banghead:

Seriously, you should really stop worrying. The Dodgers have this firmly in their control.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »

1 game of not scoring runs is a little different than say...10 games of craptacular baseball.  :banghead:

Seriously, you should really stop worrying. The Dodgers have this firmly in their control.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!  I can't heeeeeeeeeeeaaaaarrrrrr yooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu  :lalala: :lalala: :lalala:

:-)

Offline jendf

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2008, 12:19:47 PM »
Hey, BSS. This isn't you in the video is it? From a Mets game...

Jenga--The Drunk Dude Version

[youtube=425,350]kdnImqDmLqk[/youtube]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:33:12 PM by jendf »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2008, 02:33:37 PM »
After being no-hit by Zambrano last night, the Astros are hitless through 5 inning against Ted Lily today. lol :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
After being no-hit by Zambrano last night, the Astros are hitless through 5 inning against Ted Lily today. lol :-)

playing a home series in another team's ballpark has got to suck.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2008, 02:44:27 PM »
Miller Park is the Cubs home away from home, so that is really unfair to Houston, but I'll take the wins.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »
Yeah, "Wrigley North".
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi