Author Topic: What do you consider rock?  (Read 6234 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
What do you consider rock?
« on: January 22, 2008, 11:49:01 AM »
I guess I'm getting at that age.  I'm 32, I turn on the radio and what they play as rock, now, is Good Charlotte, Maroon 5, and assortes poppy crap.  What happened to the Pearl Jams, Nirvanas, STP's of the world.  I thought rock was coming back with Disturbed, Linkin Park, even Creed.  I really thought about this last night watching the trailer for Rambo (Let the Bodies Hit The Floor)  Am I just getting old?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: What do you consider rock?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:53:09 AM »
I guess I'm getting at that age.  I'm 32, I turn on the radio and what they play as rock, now, is Good Charlotte, Maroon 5, and assortes poppy crap.  What happened to the Pearl Jams, Nirvanas, STP's of the world.  I thought rock was coming back with Disturbed, Linkin Park, even Creed.  I really thought about this last night watching the trailer for Rambo (Let the Bodies Hit The Floor)  Am I just getting old?

Yes. Sorry.  :old:

Welcome to the "old" club!
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »
Rock:  Just about everything with a 4/4 time and a back beat.  

:old: "I knew music was going to hell with all that Yeah-Yeah-Yeah crap!"

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:56:31 AM »
Hell, right now, I'd welcome a return of the hair bands.  Actually I did like the hair bands.  Still have Poison and Motley Crue greatest hits. 
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »
What happened to the Pearl Jams, Nirvanas, STP's of the world.

That's not rock, that's grunge shit that KILLED the rock of the 80's.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »

Oh crap...you and wasp69 are like twins :lmao: :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »
"It's got a good beat, and you can dance to it".   :-)
Anyone who recognizes that quote is old.   :old:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »
As for me, I run the gambit. I like probably something of everything mentioned here, but I hung out with the skaters and freaks back in the 80's. I've covered all this before. Wrote for a small local rag on this particular music scene: Chili Peppers, Descendants, Black Flag, Henry Rollins...from there it was on to 'Industrial' which included NIN, KMFDM, etc...sandwiched between it all I liked hair bands, non hair band rock, college music like The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees, and I was the typical teenage girl in that I swooned over Duran Duran.

We used to watch a lot of those bands and this little place that is now some trendy restaurant on South Beach. Cameo Theatre

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »

I loved the hair bands, but they had lived out their time.  Nirvana also KILLED the career of Michael Jackson.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 12:36:42 PM »

Petula Clark?

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »

Iliked grunge when it first came out. Then bands like STP and Squirrel Jam started to put out sucky music. Sadly Alice In Chains suffered the death of Layne so they weren't around long enough to jump the shark.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
Rock died in 1971.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »

American Bandstand you whippersnapper!  :old:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 01:17:40 PM »

Rock died in 1971.

Nah. 1980 when Johh Bonham choked on his own throw-up.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:21:02 PM »

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »

I wouldn't mind being 32 again.  lol

As a 45 year old, I was blessed to be in my teens years during part of the golden age of classic rock:

Boston, Kiss, Journey, The Police, Led Zepplin, The Who, Queen, AC/DC, Eagles, Aerosmith, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Rush, etc.

Now THAT'S rock.

:rocker2: :rocker2:

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »

As a 45 year old, I was blessed to be in my teens years during part of the golden age of classic rock:

Boston, Kiss, Journey, The Police, Led Zepplin, The Who, Queen, AC/DC, Eagles, Aerosmith, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Rush, etc.

Now THAT'S rock.

My sister is 42, I grew up on those bands, especially KISS.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »

Now THAT'S rock.

I'm 35 and I like all of those bands.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 01:57:55 PM »

Now THAT'S rock.

My sister is 42, I grew up on those bands, especially KISS.

Yeah, rock like that is like a good steak or a big booty piece of arse; IT'S ALWAYS GOOD!
 :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 01:59:11 PM »

Rock died in 1971.

Who's John Bonham? Seriously, I don't know.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 02:00:57 PM »
You folks are so lost.  Rock was conceived in the 1950's and came to life in the five years between 1964 and 1969.  During that short period in time we went from "I Wanna Hold You Hand" to "We are all outlaws in the eyes of America.  In order to survive we steal, cheat, lie, forge, ****, hide, and deal".

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »

Rock died in 1971.

The late Led Zepplin drummer

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 02:23:04 PM »

Rock died in 1971.

The late Led Zepplin drummer
*doh*  Senior moment there. His son is the new drummer and I hear tell is great!

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 02:25:55 PM »
I still listen to Back in Black every night while I'm working out. Always get the blood pumping.

I just started back working out, so if I post a picture on here anytime don't be shocked.  You can't tell it yet. 

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:17 PM »
I still listen to Back in Black every night while I'm working out. Always get the blood pumping.

I just started back working out, so if I post a picture on here anytime don't be shocked.  You can't tell it yet. 

Oh crap..you said the magic word--PICTURE.  :-)