Author Topic: DU has a sad  (Read 778 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
DU has a sad
« on: December 17, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »
n2doc (35,194 posts)

After years of effort, Vermont's governor reportedly gives up on single-payer health care

Shumlin: "The time is not right"

Vermont has long had a two-pronged approach to building a single-payer health care system. First, they would figure out what they would want the system to look like. Then, they would figure out how to pay for it.

The state passed legislation outlining how the single-payer system would work in 2011. And ever since, the state has been trying to figure out how to pay for a system that covers everybody. Most estimates suggest that the single payer system would cost $2 billion each year. For a state that only collects $2.7 billion in revenue, that is a large sum of money.

What Shumlin appears to be saying today is that the "time is not right" to move forward on the financing of the single-payer system. And that means putting the whole effort aside, with no clear moment when the debate would be reopened.

more

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/17/7411357/single-payer-vermont-shumlin

TM99 (1,717 posts)

3. Well that's it folks.

We have been told ad nauseum that the ACA will lead to a single-payer system in the future. After all, look what is happening in Vermont. If Vermont is now giving up, **** it, we will not see single-payer certainly in my lifetime.

We had a change, and Obama blew it.

CreekDog (42,690 posts)

5. we have single payer all over the place

Medicare, Medicaid, and the VA.

The VA, huh?

That's your realized ideal?

Doctor_J (30,896 posts)

9. there we go. The "president was smart to let the states do it" chorus

can now line up to smooch my pasty old cheeks. The most liberal state in the union said no.

mmonk (47,930 posts)

24. My dream is to leave for a civilization.

Both of my sons have disabilities. I'm too old to start over since Reaganomics and deregulation crashed the economy. I shouldn't have had children. I look forward to death.

Politicalboi (12,423 posts)

32. Legalize Marijuana and sell it

To other states since the population of Vermont couldn't buy enough weed to help with taxes.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025972931

And here they were just celebrating Castro's triumph over the evil US.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: DU has a sad
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
Response to Doctor_J (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 17, 2014, 04:21 PM

branford (1,612 posts)
14. That's not exactly a fair representation.

Vermont said yes to single payer healthcare, they just don't know how to pay for it. The estimated costs significantly exceed all expected revenues for the state. Even the very liberal citizens of Vermont are apparently unwilling more than double their state fees and taxes to pay for the program. If that's the case for Vermont, what would be the reaction in the rest of the country.

The "president was smart to let the states do it chorus," as you refer supporters of the PPACA, were simply trying to view the law in the best possible light. However, no matter the wisdom of single payer, the necessary support and votes in Congress for anything close to it simply did not exist. The PPACA, quite literally, passed with the smallest possible margins, and great number of those Democrats who supported the law lost elections or were essentially forced to retire, and the law is still unpopular.

Response to Doctor_J (Reply #29)

Wed Dec 17, 2014, 05:02 PM

branford (1,612 posts)
35. Telling corporations to "**** themselves" does not constitute economic, tax or healthcare policy?

Very liberal and progressive Vermonters can certainly enact policies that effectively "**** corporations." However, for Vermonters who live in the real world beyond hyperbole and slogans, they know full well that their state that collects $2.7 billion in revenue cannot exact a policy that costs $2 billion without severe economic and social repercussions.

If you punitively tax Vermont businesses and citizens, they will simply leave. They needn't even go far or to red states. For instance, New Hampshire and Connecticut are close and would be quite welcoming. The end result will be fewer and poorer Vermonters and still no single payer.

Single payer healthcare and related social policies are costly. If you cannot convince Vermonters to pay the bill in their own state, I'm at a loss to how you convince the rest of the country?

:lol:

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
mmonk (47,930 posts)

Both of my sons have disabilities. I'm too old to start over since Reaganomics and deregulation crashed the economy. I shouldn't have had children. I look forward to death.

You do have options, dummie. I hear Cuba has single payer health care. You could always hurry up the death process.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »
You do have options, dummie. I hear Cuba has single payer health care. You could always hurry up the death process.

After Cuba got done treating Hugo Chavez I felt better.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:16:22 PM »

Doesn't North Korea also have single-payer? :confused:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:22:55 PM »

Also single patient, as in the only patient is kim jong-un...
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:58:27 PM »
mmonk (47,930 posts)

I look forward to death.

Hey, don't be so glum, as you are not alone!  We're looking forward to your death too, DUmmie!

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »
mmonk (47,930 posts)

24. My dream is to leave for a civilization. Oh, where?  Go to Cuba.

Western Civilization has the same one.  The leeches are looking for less competition, too.  So:

I'm too old to start over since Reaganomics and deregulation crashed the economy. I shouldn't have had children. I look forward to death.

Trust us.  We WILL celebrate.  Make it soon, please.

Response to Doctor_J (Reply #29)

Wed Dec 17, 2014, 05:02 PM

branford (1,612 posts)
35. Telling corporations to "**** themselves" does not constitute economic, tax or healthcare policy?

Very liberal and progressive Vermonters can certainly enact policies that effectively "**** corporations." However, for Vermonters who live in the real world beyond hyperbole and slogans, they know full well that their state that collects $2.7 billion in revenue cannot exact a policy that costs $2 billion without severe economic and social repercussions.

If you punitively tax Vermont businesses and citizens, they will simply leave. They needn't even go far or to red states. For instance, New Hampshire and Connecticut are close and would be quite welcoming. The end result will be fewer and poorer Vermonters and still no single payer.

Single payer healthcare and related social policies are costly. If you cannot convince Vermonters to pay the bill in their own state, I'm at a loss to how you convince the rest of the country?

All predicted, for those exact reasons, by we stupid, uneducated Tea Party Conservatives.  How does reality look?   :tongue:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:45:46 AM by 98ZJUSMC »

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline hillneck

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »

Yeah they do.  It's whatever a single bullet to the back of the head cost.
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »
mmonk (47,930 posts)

Reagan crashed the economy in the same way that owebuma fixed it.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
I hate when the DUmmies have a sad on.  Of course this has been well known in the Green Mountain State for several years.  I picked up a paper when I was at a family function in Rutland a couple years ago and sure enough that is exactly what an article in it said, almost to the penny.   They have just been ignoring the obvious all this time hoping Obie would bail them out to make a point. 

[DUmode] Why does free stuff have to cost so darn much??  :panic:  [/DUmode]
< watch this space for coming distractions >