Author Topic: Du Duz Patzy Kline Krazy  (Read 393 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Du Duz Patzy Kline Krazy
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:57:09 PM »

http://upload.democraticunderground.com/10025647329

Ah yes, those loveable conspiracy theroists at the DUmp know this is so right down to the souls of their feet.  :rotf:

WillyT (58,501 posts)

Key Figures In CIA-Crack Cocaine Scandal Begin To Come Forward - HuffPo
 Key Figures In CIA-Crack Cocaine Scandal Begin To Come Forward
Ryan Grim, Matt Sledge & Matt Ferner - HuffPo
Posted: 10/10/2014 7:30 am EDT Updated: 46 minutes ago

<snip>

LOS ANGELES -- With the public in the U.S. and Latin America becoming increasingly skeptical of the war on drugs, key figures in a scandal that once rocked the Central Intelligence Agency are coming forward to tell their stories in a new documentary and in a series of interviews with The Huffington Post.

More than 18 years have passed since Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Gary Webb stunned the world with his “Dark Alliance” newspaper series investigating the connections between the CIA, a crack cocaine explosion in the predominantly African-American neighborhoods of South Los Angeles, and the Nicaraguan Contra fighters -- scandalous implications that outraged LA’s black community, severely damaged the intelligence agency's reputation and launched a number of federal investigations.

It did not end well for Webb, however. Major media, led by The New York Times, Washington Post and Los Angeles Times, worked to discredit his story. Under intense pressure, Webb's top editor abandoned him. Webb was drummed out of journalism. One LA Times reporter recently apologized for his leading role in the assault on Webb, but it came too late. Webb died in 2004 from an apparent suicide. Obituaries referred to his investigation as "discredited."

Now, Webb’s bombshell expose is being explored anew in a documentary, “Freeway: Crack in the System,” directed by Marc Levin, which tells the story of “Freeway” Rick Ross, who created a crack empire in LA during the 1980s and is a key figure in Webb’s “Dark Alliance” narrative. The documentary is being released after the major motion picture “Kill The Messenger,” which features Jeremy Renner in the role of Webb and hits theaters on Friday.

Webb's investigation was published in the summer of 1996 in the San Jose Mercury News. In it, he reported that a drug ring that sold millions of dollars worth of cocaine in Los Angeles was funneling its profits to the CIA’s army in Nicaragua, known as the Contras.

Webb’s original anonymous source for his series was...

<snip>

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/10/gary-webb-dark-alliance_n_5961748.html 

See the freaks at the side show before it is too late. This Dump-diddle-delicious thread may just prove too embarrassing for Skinner so head on over before it's gone.  But it is of course based on a most reputable source, Huffing and Puffing Post. :hammer: 

Here is a sample courtesy of the jack ass radical which comes at the end of a thoroughly entertaining exchange about Clinton and Mena.

Jackpine Radical (41,738 posts)

25. My wife, who is approximately as paranoid as I am,

thinks the Clintons have been CIA since the Vietnam days.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline thundley4

Re: Du Duz Patzy Kline Krazy
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »
You want to know how balanced this movie, "Kill The Messenger", is going to be?

http://www.nola.com/entertainment/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2014/10/lsu_journalism_dean_depicted_i.html
*snip*The stories, written by Gary Webb, drew connections between the C.I.A. and the crack cocaine epidemic ravaging American streets, but the series was largely discredited for its overreaching conclusions, threadbare evidence and too little sourcing. The Mercury News re-reported and at least partially retracted the series in a letter to its readers. As for Webb, the controversy effectively ended his journalism career and he ultimately committed suicide in 2004.

It also, however, marked one of the first times a major news organization pulled the reigns back on such a massive story and it came to represent how the industry was capable of rooting out one of its own for work deemed unworthy.

The movie was based primarily on Webb's account of the series, "Dark Alliance: The C.I.A., The Contras and the Crack Cocaine Explosion," and Ceppos said the movie's producers never reached out to him about his role in the actual events.

"It suggests to me that the movie is not entirely nonfiction," he said. "A few weeks ago, I wrote an email to the movie company and (asked for) a copy of the movie. ... They said no."

They didn't want to talk to the editor in charge when the story was  written.