Author Topic: Recall petition filed against Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA)  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Recall petition filed against Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA)
« on: June 28, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »

Jindal, a rising star in the republican party, apparently stood on principle.

Recall petition filed against Gov. Bobby Jindal

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The Louisiana Secretary of State's Elections Division says it has received a recall petition for Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal.

The move comes amid Jindal's refusal to veto a pay raise for state legislators.

Forcing a recall election against Jindal will be a tough task.

It would require verifiable signatures from well over 900,000 registered Louisiana voters.

"The voters of our state are angry that the legislature more than doubled their own pay and I agree with them," Governor Bobby Jindal said when asked for reaction to the petition.

"It was excessive and they should reverse it. I'm sure more voters will take extraordinary steps to show their anger over the pay raise before this is all said and done - that's how a democracy works," Jindal said.

More

Offline Schadenfreude

Re: Recall petition filed against Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
I think Bobby is our next Ronnie Reagan. God love him.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The Louisiana Secretary of State's Elections Division says it has received a recall petition for Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal.

It would require verifiable signatures from well over 900,000 registered Louisiana voters.

"The voters of our state are angry that the legislature more than doubled their own pay and I agree with them," Governor Bobby Jindal said when asked for reaction to the petition.

"It was excessive and they should reverse it. I'm sure more voters will take extraordinary steps to show their anger over the pay raise before this is all said and done - that's how a democracy works," Jindal said.

More

The pay raise was originally triple (3 times) the base of new legislators salaries. Don't know about you, I never received more than a 20% pay raise in the same job position. So they compromised and only doubled the pay raise. This was a deal that Jindal made with the legislators. You pass my ethic and other bills and I will sign this pay raise. Does not sound like principle to me. It sounds like typical politics. The voters are pissed off, and I guarantee you that Jindal will not win re-election on the first ballot the next time around.

This recall is going nowhere with Jindal but it could with the 3 Repub legislators. Jindal would be smart to veto this bill; bring them back into to a special session or regular session and inform that he will sign a much smaller pay increase.  

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 08:07:12 PM »

More

The pay raise was originally triple (3 times) the base of new legislators salaries. Don't know about you, I never received more than a 20% pay raise in the same job position. So they compromised and only doubled the pay raise. This was a deal that Jindal made with the legislators. You pass my ethic and other bills and I will sign this pay raise. Does not sound like principle to me. It sounds like typical politics. The voters are pissed off, and I guarantee you that Jindal will not win re-election on the first ballot the next time around.

This recall is going nowhere with Jindal but it could with the 3 Repub legislators. Jindal would be smart to veto this bill; bring them back into to a special session or regular session and inform that he will sign a much smaller pay increase.  

That's very sad if what you say is true.

I don't know what to say about Jindal at this time, I just wonder if the LA legislature is so corrupt that they only respond to the highest bidder.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:13:37 PM »

More

I don't know what to say about Jindal at this time, I just wonder if the LA legislature is so corrupt that they only respond to the highest bidder.

the LA legislature, and LA politics in general, are the most corrupt thing since chicago politics.

I have this bizarre interest in LA politics, since I am from southern mississippi.

Jindal is setting his legislature up for a wipeout in the next election, IMHO.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »

More

the LA legislature, and LA politics in general, are the most corrupt thing since chicago politics.

I have this bizarre interest in LA politics, since I am from southern mississippi.

He sure seems bright and unconventional as far as a politician goes..... It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 08:22:10 PM »

I thought it was only double. From 17K to 34K. My co-worker, who's a Louisianan was talking about it.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 08:30:03 PM »

I thought it was only double. From 17K to 34K. My co-worker, who's a Louisianan was talking about it.

I was talking to my dad during the dodgers-angels game last night;  he says everyone is pissed off about it.

the more I think about it, the more I come to believe that Jindal is merely respecting the separation of powers. 

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 08:30:43 PM »
One of the problems causing the political curruption is the crap pay the offices pay. Hell, NO LA Cops were and maybe are, the biggest crooks of all. One even made a hit for money some years back.

So, in return for ethics reform, hopefully doing away with public curruption somewhat, the Legislators recieve a near liveable wage. Seems a smart START. After this, he needs to watch them close and call attantion to any curruption. Unless, of course, he only wanted one term.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:42:54 PM »
One of the problems causing the political curruption is the crap pay the offices pay. Hell, NO LA Cops were and maybe are, the biggest crooks of all. One even made a hit for money some years back.

So, in return for ethics reform, hopefully doing away with public curruption somewhat, the Legislators recieve a near liveable wage. Seems a smart START. After this, he needs to watch them close and call attantion to any curruption. Unless, of course, he only wanted one term.

I must say, peter, you are one of the most intriguing new members that we have ever had.

H5 for thinking differently.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 08:58:08 PM »

More

I can assure you that Jindal made a deal with the legislature regarding the pay raise but I have no clue on the amount. The Legislature is controlled by the Democrats so in order to get what he wants he has to give a little to get a little. A policy that has always screwed up conservatives not only in LA but DC.

The Democraps have Jindal in a box and probably are laughing their asses off. He will be damed by the voters if he signs it and will have a hard time with the legislature if he vetos it. They know that only those areas of strong Repub. (conservatives) support will react to this in an extremly negative way. So this pay raise rubarb is benefitical to them.  

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 09:26:30 PM »

Livable wage? From what my co-worker said, they're only in session from March to June. I would think 17K is pretty damn good for 4 months work.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »

I read that somewhere yesterday and it made sense to me.  I don't think too many states pay their legislators so little.  I will have to research to find out if what they have is really a part time job at the Capitol.  They may be currently overpaid.       

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »

Livable wage? From what my co-worker said, they're only in session from March to June. I would think 17K is pretty damn good for 4 months work.

You should have seen the legislators hugging eachother after the pay raise was passed. They also get travel money and they are exempt from motor vehicle laws. They can drive 100mph and not worry about a ticket. Lobbyist wine and dine them, pay for their golf outings. My ex and I went to many parties and dances during a special session years ago. Believe me, these turkey's were doing fine for PART TIME work before their pay was doubled.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 09:46:54 PM »

one of the things that I miss about ToS is talking about Louisiana politics with LL.

she is an expert at that.

Offline Jim

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 11:06:12 PM »

I read that somewhere yesterday and it made sense to me.  I don't think too many states pay their legislators so little.  I will have to research to find out if what they have is really a part time job at the Capitol.  They may be currently overpaid.       

17k is very light, 34K is very light.

hell, maybe if you paid them a little more honest people with the right mindsets would get interested.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 01:08:32 AM »

17k is very light, 34K is very light.

hell, maybe if you paid them a little more honest people with the right mindsets would get interested.

Prior to doubling their salaries with per Diem thrown in, only one state in the south paid their legislators more. That state was Florida. With the new pay increase Louisiana legislators will get a total with p.d. a total of $49,655 for around 3 months work. That is $11,000 more than Florida whose legislators get $38,526. Louisiana tops AL, AR, FL,GA,MS,NC,SC,,NC,SC,TN,TX & VA. 

One of the big lies that the House Speaker told was the raise was needed to get quality individuals to run for public office. Since the next election cycle takes place in 2012, why did it become effective this year?

In Louisiana, the more you pay these politicians, the more crooks you get into office. The ex-Governor is serving time in Fed prison, several Insurance Commissioners and Agriculture have served time in prison. These were not low paying jobs so paying them more has absolutely no bearing on the quality or the honesty of politicians in this state. Additional info. at www.jeffsadow.blogspot.com  See last article at the bottom of the page on pay raises.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 01:13:30 AM by Lacarnut »

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
Appears from the news articles/opinion pieces, I was in error!  A deal was made! But the question remains  : what was the deal. what was the object of the deal?

As the writer noted, this does endanger Bobbie's future in politics. Unless there are ethical reformes commesurate, and the voters get angey, there could be big change in LA politics far beyond the last election.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 06:37:20 PM »
Check this out -

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=8550645

If I were in their district, I would be recalling every one of those yahoos. That is appalling.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 07:45:04 AM »
The Attorney General should look into those legislators who are collecting per diem (travel money for room and meals) who are not present in Baton Rouge while the legislature is in sesson that day. That is out and out FRAUD.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 12:53:23 PM »
I guess they have to cancel the recall now.

Jindal vetoes legislative raise

BATON ROUGE -- Gov. Bobby Jindal announced today that he has vetoed the legislative pay raise.

After days of saying he would not reject the unpopular measure, Jindal said this morning that he had changed his mind.

"I thank the people for their voice and their attention," Jindal said of the public outcry against the raise. "I am going to need your help to move this state forward. ... The voters have demanded change. . . . I made a mistake by staying out if it" originally.

Jindal said that legislators "are going to be angry I broke my word to them" by promising to stay out of the pay raise issue. "Let them direct their anger to me and not the people of this state," Jindal said.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:56:11 PM by Happy Fun Ball »

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 02:35:20 PM »
Reassassment of Bobbie again. He MAY get re-election, if he doesn't weaken.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
Reassassment of Bobbie again. He MAY get re-election, if he doesn't weaken.

He did the right thing; the legislators can pass a more reasonable raise and he will sign it. Doubling their salaries is outrageous. His future legislative agenda will be tumultuous with a Democratic controlled majority in both chambers.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »
I think that the folks are tired of the corruption that makes LA a joke. Legislators in LA, if they fight with Bobbie or are obstructionist, risk their careers if they continue as business of usual. Bobbie will receive the benefit of the public discontent.