Author Topic: 'Hallelujah': Russian Court Orders Release of U.S. Pastor Convicted of Smuggling  (Read 982 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
MOSCOW —  A Russian court on Monday reduced the three-year prison sentence of a South Carolina pastor convicted of smuggling rifle ammunition and ordered him set free.

The Moscow City Court reduced Phillip Miles' sentence to 10 months and ruled that he should be freed from custody without serving all of it. Miles, who has been in jail since Feb. 3, will likely be released Tuesday, his lawyer said, and is expected to leave Russia by next week.

Miles, who listened to the decision from jail via videolink, spread his arms wide and said "Hallelujah!" as the translator explained the ruling.

"We're glad that justice was done today," said Dominic Starr, Miles' American attorney and a member of his church.

The ordeal has been tough on Miles' wife and four children, who are "elated and relieved and anxiously awaiting his return," according to Starr. "They miss their dad," he told FOXNews.com. "They'll be happy to get him back."

A pastor at the Christ Community Church in Conway, S.C., Miles was convicted in April after security officers at a Moscow airport found a box of .300-caliber cartridges in his luggage.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,370381,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
"Please don't destroy my life over one box of hunting bullets," Miles pleaded.

Thank God for the Second Amendment here. Let's hope SCOTUS never distorts it and the current case comes out well.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle