Author Topic: Lawyer : Rezko Lied About Prosecutors Pressuring him to implicate Obama  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
let's all say it together . . . . "that's not the tony rezko I knew . . . . ". :whatever:

so now the question becomes, "Did Obama pressure Rezko to not roll over on him, or to write that letter
about prosecutorial pressure in the first place"?  it certainly won't help him in any way in trying to cut a deal
by giving up either BHO or the govorner.

'Pressure' on Rezko to discuss Obama in doubt

In a letter to a judge publicized last week, political fund-raiser Tony Rezko said "overzealous" prosecutors pressured him to tell them "the wrong things" about presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

But that letter appears to be misleading, given that Rezko never submitted to an interview with federal prosecutors or any federal investigators, sources said.

Rezko's lawyer, Joseph Duffy, said Rezko never sat down for an interview and was never pressured directly, or indirectly, through Duffy, to talk about Obama, Gov. Blagojevich -- or anyone else.

Rezko's correspondence to U.S. District Judge Amy St. Eve came in April, in the midst of his corruption trial and as he sat in solitary confinement at a downtown lockup. Arrested in January after a bond violation, Rezko pleaded with St. Eve to release him so he could see his family and assist in his defense. She eventually did release him.

"Your honor, the prosecutors have been overzealous in pursuing a crime that never happened," Rezko said. "They are pressuring me to tell them the wrong things that I supposedly know about Gov. Blagojevich and Senator Barack Obama."

Sources say Rezko believed he was put in jail just before his trial as a tactic to get him to flip.

Rezko, 52, of Wilmette, was convicted of far-reaching fraud tied to state deals. He was a longtime fund-raiser to Blagojevich and Obama.

The letter sent a clear signal that Rezko was not interested in making a deal.

But Rezko's situation changed dramatically after his June 4 conviction. He not only landed right back in jail, but faces significant prison time. Beyond that, Rezko still faces two other criminal trials.

If Rezko were to have a future change of heart, the note he sent could end up backfiring on him, legal observers say.

Former prosecutor Zachary Fardon noted that Scott Fawell, former chief of staff to Gov. George Ryan, wrote a similar letter, saying he wouldn't make up lies about Ryan. Fawell was the star witness in Ryan's trial.

"Do I think he could effectively be crossed on this letter? Yes," Fardon said. "Does that mean they can't call him or use him [as a witness]? No."

A U.S. attorney's spokesman had no comment.

Linky
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:53:37 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Zeus

let's all say it together . . . . "that's not the tony rezko I knew . . . . ". :whatever:

so now the question becomes, "Did Obama pressure Rezko to not roll over on him, or to write that letter
about prosecutorial pressure in the first place"?  it certainly won't help him in any way in trying to cut a deal

In a letter to a judge publicized last week, political fund-raiser Tony Rezko said "overzealous" prosecutors pressured him to tell them "the wrong things" about presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

But that letter appears to be misleading, given that Rezko never submitted to an interview with federal prosecutors or any federal investigators, sources said.

n a letter to a judge publicized last week, political fund-raiser Tony Rezko said "overzealous" prosecutors pressured him to tell them "the wrong things" about presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

Linky

Am I seeing double or are those two paragraphs repeated
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

n a letter to a judge publicized last week, political fund-raiser Tony Rezko said "overzealous" prosecutors pressured him to tell them "the wrong things" about presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

Linky

I guess I clacked when I should have clicked.  or perhaps I pasted when I should have cut. :-)  whatever I did, the OP is fixed now. :tongue:

Offline Willow

• Limousine
anyone taking bets on wether or not the congresscritters call for some "oversight"?   :popcorn:

Offline Zeus

I think it's a rather strange accusation when it is soeasily verified as false. mayhaps he is sending a msg to someone.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.