Author Topic: Some receiving FEMA assistance not willing to help themselves  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
http://www.nbc15online.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=b8619bb7-adfd-4c09-b59c-9df40291edd4

Some receiving FEMA assistance not willing to help themselves
Reported by: Andrea Ramey
Email: aramey@nbc15online.com
Last Update: 6/03 8:47 pm 

(BILOXI, MS)  June 3 -- What are people who receive FEMA assistance doing to help themselves? That's the question NBC 15's Andrea Ramey asked those who have been staying for free in hotel rooms after they moved out of FEMA supplied travel trailers.  What she found out is there are some who are doing very little.

The scorching heat puts many at the Quality Inn poolside, but for Gwenester Malone, she chooses to beat the heat by setting her thermostat to sixty degrees. Malone's room for the past three months, along with three meals daily, have all been paid for by taxpayers.

"Do you work?" asked NBC 15's Andrea Ramey.

"No. I'm not working right now," said Malone.

Malone says she can't drive and it's too hot outside to find work within walking distance.  "Since the storm, I haven't had any energy or pep to go get a job, but when push comes to shove, I will," said Malone.

Just a few blocks away, Kelley Christian also stays at a hotel for free. She says she's not taking advantage of her situation, but admits it's easy to do. "It's too easy. You know, once you're there, you don't have to pay rent," said Christian. "I kept putting it off and putting it off and now, I'm tired of putting it off."

She says she'll be out of the hotel and in an apartment by the end of the month. Push came to shove for Christian when police found a meth lab in a hotel room directly below her.  "All kind of people in white suits pulled all kind of chemicals out here. There was enough to line up about three cars worth of chemicals. It scared the heck of me," said Christian.

Taxpayers also paid for that meth lab. The men police arrested were receiving FEMA assistance. The hotel owner says he'll now have to spend $5,000 to clean out the room.

As for Malone, she says she's not seeing any drug activity at her hotel. It's too nice she says. Why would she want to leave?

FEMA has not been able to provide the exact totals as to how much all the meals and hotel rooms are costing taxpayers, but FEMA has said repeatedly it works with people continuously to find permanent housing, and it will not leave anyone homeless.

Almost 3 fricken years

:censored: :censored:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:05:02 PM by Servonaut »

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
Re: Some receiving FEMA assistance not willing to help themselves
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »
Well shit!
I never saw that coming (insert irony smiley here).

Looks like the Great Society Village works out better for some than others.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »
These people will suck off the gov't tit as long as WE will let them.  I think it is time to kick them off the dole.  It has been time to kick them off the dole for quite some time but the bleeding heart liberals want them to all be dependent for as long as possible.  BhO will save all of them.   :whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
When back to back hurricanes slammed into Cancun and Cozumel, the first clear day found the Governor of Quintna Roo visiting all the resorts with shovels and rakes.  His words: "If we don't work, we don't eat."

The workers were NOT paid, but were fed and, where possible, housed.  The resorts were completely back up and running inside of 9 months -- some in as little as 6 months.  No debit cards, no hotels, just a shovel, a pail, a rake, a saw etc.

I know this 100%.  My wife is from Mexico and when we vacationed in Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and other places along the Maya Riviera she talked with the everyday workers -- busboys, taxi drivers, bell men and the like.  It was the same story everywhere.

Folks, on this one Mexico shamed us big time.  Say what you will about Mexico, one thing is certain: Mexicans are not afraid of hard work.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:35:50 PM »
Geez. Why am I not surprised?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lanie

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »
I realize some people abuse the system, but I don't believe these examples make up the majority.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »
I realize some people abuse the system, but I don't believe these examples make up the majority.

I do.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »

What?!  I live on the gulf coast and I can tell you first hand these folks are the bottom feeders of our society.

You been around this at all?  You have anything to back up your claim?  Do tell ......

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »

What?!  I live on the gulf coast and I can tell you first hand these folks are the bottom feeders of our society.

You been around this at all?  You have anything to back up your claim?  Do tell ......

KC

Just ask the people of Houston, who saw their crime double in a few months (and it hasn't gone down).

I am sure Houstoners would be willing to contribute to NOLA rebuild if they promise to take their citizen-thugs back.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »
The waste, fraud and abuse by Katrina victims is staggering. Not to mention the negative impact they have had on the communities who took them in.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »

KC

Just ask the people of Houston, who saw their crime double in a few months (and it hasn't gone down).

I am sure Houstoners would be willing to contribute to NOLA rebuild if they promise to take their citizen-thugs back.

I live about 70 miles north of Houston (God had truly blessed me and I don't have to actually live in Houston to make a living) and I KNOW what most of those who came here did.  I was living it while hurricane Rita passed through and got no attention.  We were trying to push these worthless folks out of our way so we could fix our own problems. 

KC

*Stolen

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 06:58:28 PM »

KC

She never knows what the hell she's talking about, but she's "welcome" here.  :whatever:

I don't live in the Gulf area, either, but there are some people that just won't let you help them. FEMA's throwing good money after bad.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »

KC

why?
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »
That's awful! They need to get back on their feet. Hell in Mexico after Wilma, they got themselves back on their feet. Katrina evacuees have changed Houston. Crime rate did really go up. Some of them who came to Houston did find work and now call Houston home. New Orleans is more casual and they are less likely to dress up for interviews, which explains why they cannot find a job.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 08:25:39 PM »

KC

Correct; I live 65 miles from N.O. and the majority of them are lazy dumb ass blacks. The black mayor of Baton Rouge announced on TV that the N.O. thugs were not going to take over this city. The population almost doubled overnight. A few of these assholes got roughed up downtown by the police and the SOB cops from NM reported them to the FBI. People that do not live in this area do not have a clue.