Author Topic: Rand Paul is belting out an Old School Filibuster!!  (Read 13626 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Rand Paul is belting out an Old School Filibuster!!
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
You all realize that Rand is going to vote the same way the establishment guys are, right?

I wouldn't bet on any other outcome, but I would be pleasantly surprised if he didn't. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
I'm on board with Freep and D6.

Rand Paul's bloviating, while a seeming breath of fresh air in a Senate notoriously devoid of any sort of meaningful activity at all (save sequestering Dingy Harry's old man farts), in the end will accomplish nothing.

He will meekly line up at the trough and strap on the feedbag and vote according to his master's (McConnell, et. al.) wishes.

What everybody is so ga-ga about isn't that Rand Paul did a bunch of overdue bloviating - it's simply that the Senate chambers have been so quiet over the past 4 years due to inactivity that ANY kind of shitstirring is seen as overwhelming show of force for Truth, Right, and the American Way.

Bullshit.

:yawn: Wake me up when Brennan's confirmed.

In the meantime, Juan McLame and the Kelsey Grammer wannabe are mad because they got upstaged. They're angry because Dr. Nutz Jr. decided that moving stale farts around the Senate chambers by bloviating for 13 hours was a new way of doing business.

Drones aren't the issue, and neither is Brennan. Dr. Nutz jr. is making political hay because he's angling for the 2016 GOP nomination.

Yeah, let's see how THAT one goes.  :whatever:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:37:24 AM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »
I wouldn't bet on any other outcome, but I would be pleasantly surprised if he didn't.

Interesting, as long as he says the right things then he's a hero. His vote doesn't matter.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »
You all realize that Rand is going to vote the same way the establishment guys are, right?

I swear they're all doing this: :lalala: I know I've said it straight out at least 4 different times in this thread.  Apparently though, the vote won't matter, but 12 hours of doing this in front of the C-SPAN II cameras is pivotal.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »
All the intel has to come from sources which nominally answer to CIA. NSA, NRO, the whole toot & stumble; on paper they're all subordinate to the CIA director.

It's not like the CIA has never done intelligence gathering against Americans on American soil, is it? :cough: Echelon :cough:

Point taken.

I guess that I'm so starved for something--ANYTHING--that shows the tiniest of backbone from a GOP Senator, that this small act, however insignificant, gave me some hope. Hell, Graham and McCain were DINING with 0bama while this was going on.

Better 12 hours of :jerkit: than the   :leghump:  that those two were doing with teh Won.
Who knows? If others see a positive reaction from the grassroots, maybe this idea that we need to stand up will take root.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:38:39 AM by Splashdown »
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2013, 11:41:35 AM »
Point taken.

I guess that I'm so starved for something--ANYTHING--that shows the tiniest of backbone from a GOP Senator, that this small act, however insignificant, gave me some hope. Hell, Graham and McCain were DINING with 0bama while this was going on.

Better 12 hours of :jerkit: than the   :leghump:  that those two were doing with teh Won.
Who knows? If others see a positive reaction from the grassroots, maybe this idea that we need to stand up will take root.

That was what I was trying to say, but I didn't match your eloquence.  Thanks and H5.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »
I swear they're all doing this: :lalala: I know I've said it straight out at least 4 different times in this thread.  Apparently though, the vote won't matter, but 12 hours of doing this in front of the C-SPAN II cameras is pivotal.

I had to turn off Beck and Rush I'm so sick of hearing what a hero he is.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
Splash, I think the point still isn't getting across.

While Rand Paul was blowing smoke up everybody's ass by exercising his vocal cords and moving stale air around the Senate chambers, Juan McLame and Kelsey Grammer were blowing smoke up everybody's ass by breaking bread with Barry and company.

The only difference was, Barry's bread wasn't stale.

The upshot is, these three so-called GOP senators are not in the game for you and me. They're in the game FOR THEMSELVES.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
That was what I was trying to say, but I didn't match your eloquence.  Thanks and H5.

I'm not saying that nothing good can come out if this. I'm saying Rand is not a hero and this filibuster is not going to change a damn thing in DC. When they start voting for what is right then I may join in the party, but all we have is pretty speeches and no action to back it up.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »
Splash, I think the point still isn't getting across.

While Rand Paul was blowing smoke up everybody's ass by exercising his vocal cords and moving stale air around the Senate chambers, Juan McLame and Kelsey Grammer were blowing smoke up everybody's ass by breaking bread with Barry and company.

The only difference was, Barry's bread wasn't stale.

The upshot is, these three so-called GOP senators are not in the game for you and me. They're in the game FOR THEMSELVES.

Exactly.  How is Dr. Nutz Jr's vote to affirm Brennan different from Juan McLame's? 

Last night, Paul was shoring up his power base by blowing sunshine up the asses of the conservative base.  McLame was also shoring up his power base by sucking off Dear Leader.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:00:30 PM by DefiantSix »
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »

LOL  :rotf:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »
I'm not saying that nothing good can come out if this. I'm saying Rand is not a hero and this filibuster is not going to change a damn thing in DC. When they start voting for what is right then I may join in the party, but all we have is pretty speeches and no action to back it up.

The subject changed didn't it?  Who the hell was talking about this subject before on such a public scale?

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »

Offline Dori

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »
The night before Paul started the fillibuster, he received a letter from Holder stating that Obama had the authority to use drones on Americans inside the country without due process.  Rand Paul had written to Holder a month ago asking the Holder the question and threatened to fillibuster Brennan's nomination.

It was Brennan who told Paul to ask Holder.

Republicans don't get any attention from the MSM so as to get their messages out to the public, but having a 12 hour fillibuster sure did.

Rand Paul is on Rush's show right now, and said this is not about Brennan.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »
The subject changed didn't it?  Who the hell was talking about this subject before on such a public scale?

Yeah the subject changed. No more gun control talk or sequester talk. Now we are squabbling over this. 0bama will come out with a statement saying he won't use drones in the US then there will be rejoicing throughout the land as the people all love 0bama again and no one will remember the sequester and how the country didn't collapse.

I honestly believe that Holder did this on purpose and we played right in to it.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »
Wha? It's true!

I was laughing at the  :jerkit: & :leghump:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »
Yeah the subject changed. No more gun control talk or sequester talk. Now we are squabbling over this. 0bama will come out with a statement saying he won't use drones in the US then there will be rejoicing throughout the land as the people all love 0bama again and no one will remember the sequester and how the country didn't collapse.

I honestly believe that Holder did this on purpose and we played right in to it.

You are being a Debbie Downer today Freeper.

I still love you though.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
I thought it was awesome, and no, it wasn't about Brennan's nomination. He wanted an answer about drones on U.S. Soil. This is what the Dems objected to. Objecting to this should make everyone on this board pause to think about where we're headed. You see anything in here about a nomination? No.

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2013, 12:41:25 PM »

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
I thought it was awesome, and no, it wasn't about Brennan's nomination. He wanted an answer about drones on U.S. Soil. This is what the Dems objected to. Objecting to this should make everyone on this board pause to think about where we're headed. You see anything in here about a nomination? No.

H5

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »
You are being a Debbie Downer today Freeper.

I still love you though.

I still love you guys but I am not celebrating. Someone has to be grounded in reality.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »
I still love you guys but I am not celebrating. Someone has to be grounded in reality.

Did that question that was the basis for the filibuster not deserve an answer? I'm still waiting on someone to explain to me why Rand is a nut. Ron? Nuttier than a Payday. Rand? I'm not seeing it and I've followed him for a while.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »

I'm mad about that too. But I expect the dems to act like that. I don't expect a conservative to confirm people like Brennan, Hagel, and Kerry.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »
Did that question that was the basis for the filibuster not deserve an answer? I'm still waiting on someone to explain to me why Rand is a nut. Ron? Nuttier than a Payday. Rand? I'm not seeing it and I've followed him for a while.

I love you more more more more more...

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »

Go bucks called him a nut not me. I simply said he is not the hero that he has been made out to be. If I wanted a Senator to rubber stamp all of 0bama's picks I would support the dem.