Author Topic: Jim McKay, Olympics and ABC announcer, dies at age 86  (Read 1068 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Jim McKay, Olympics and ABC announcer, dies at age 86
« on: June 07, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »
Jim McKay, 86, a longtime television sports journalist, has died of natural causes in Maryland, according to a statement from the McKay family.

McKay is best known for hosting "ABC's Wide World of Sports" and 12 Olympic Games.

McKay won numerous awards for journalism, including the George Polk Memorial Award and two Emmys -- one for his sports coverage, the other for his news reporting -- for his work at the 1972 Munich Olympics, which were tragically affected by the Black September terrorists' attack on the Israeli athletes in the Olympic Village.

"There are no superlatives that can adequately honor Jim McKay. He meant so much to so many people. He was a founding father of sports television, one of the most respected commentators in the history of broadcasting and journalism," ESPN and ABC Sports president George Bodenheimer said in a statement.

"For more than 60 years he brought sports into the homes of Americans on Wide World of Sports, the Olympics and many other programs that captured the essence of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3430672
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Airwolf

Re: Jim McKay, Olympics and ABC announcer, dies at age 86
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »
I have missed him and willalways. He was the guy I wanted to see report on anything in sports even though I really wasn't a fan of any kind of sport at the time. I remember him on "American Sportsman" doing stuff and it just made it easier to enjoy watching him.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »
On top of the Munich, I am 99% sure it was McKay who exclaimed "Do you believe in miracles?" when the US beat the USSR in Hockey in the 1980 Olympics.

Class guy and a great broadcaster.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »
On top of the Munich, I am 99% sure it was McKay who exclaimed "Do you believe in miracles?" when the US beat the USSR in Hockey in the 1980 Olympics.

That was Al Michaels in 1980.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:47:28 PM »

That was Al Michaels in 1980.

Good thing I didn't bank on it. ;)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 06:30:32 AM »
This is the first I heard about it.

I really enjoyed the American Sportsman program.
America - Love It, or LEAVE