Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Pope Benedict 'to stand down'  (Read 8459 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Pope Benedict 'to stand down'
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »
I can see that vesta is, as usual, a bit slow on the uptake re: my suggestion.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Dacabeti

• Observer of the Obvious
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2013, 02:12:43 PM »
I can see that vesta is, as usual, a bit slow on the uptake re: my suggestion.

I am going to get a migraine from banging my head against that wall.  :banghead:
My Youngest Son's Senior Year Wrestling Highlights

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." — Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »
I am going to get a migraine from banging my head against that wall.  :banghead:

You will be in a long line of people that have done a head bang when I first started asking questions as a youngster when I first began to wonder why adults thought as they did.   

Seemed at that time into today when I ask questions no one can answer they get angry with me.  You know kids we ask allot of why questions and learn that adults with no answer just say --because I said so---.

Once an Adult with children of my own I found they asked the same questions as I did and found I had to give them some answer from somewhere.   Spent hours in a library to find some kind of answer for them, My kids did not ask questions on religion as I did so it was easy with a Encyclopedia to find answers of some sort.

When the questions came about the strange stuff, as in are Ghosts real, then the fun stuff happend.  I said NO but then when the kids became Adults and visited Gettysburg they swore they heard sounds and odd things going on.

So my interest is in religion, all faiths, how did it start, who started it, why the traditions passed down for hundreds of years.  Nothing to get alarmed about, curiosity sent me into the workings of the so called Satanists and off to the Wicca.

Mormons came to my door with their book of Mormon, Jehovah Witnesses show up with very interesting pamphlets.

What I have so far learned is that Mankind needs God more then God needs us.   Mankind cannot survive in a God less world, we are coming to that point in time.

The Muslim faith worship a god and his front man that are Evil some say.   A God that wishes to keep their people from advancing into knowledge and perhaps question their leaders. Or is it the leaders that wish no one question them ????

I question all when it comes to faith, where did it come from and why do people give their lives to defend their beliefs.????     How Do some survive by following their faiths,   Quakers were run out of town in my area and Catholics left to form a new state.    Interesting study religion, seems lately one island in Indonesia is today burning at the stake so called witches, a semi Catholic culture with the old Pagan ideas mixed in.   

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
BS for vesta . . . just because of the crazy that's spouting from her.

PaddyPower now has an Italian archbishop, Angelo Scola, as the 7:2 favorite.  Cardinal Marc Ouellet has slipped to 4:1, in a tie with Cardinal Peter Turkson.  Cardinal Timothy Dolan has fallen to 40:1, in a tie with Cardinal Raymond Burke, whose archdiocese is in St. Louis.

And, because I like the photo . . .

Vesta, dear . . . take note.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:59:29 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
In Klingon "jlwuQ" I have a headache.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
Don't agree, it was the  the Jewish Pharisees who feared Rome.

<snip for sanity>

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »
Something that was pointed out, though, was that neither of the last two Popes were the odds-on favorites to begin their respective conclaves.

There's an old saying: "he who enters the conclave a Pope leaves it a Cardinal". For the most part it is an unexpected candidate who finally emerges.