Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Pope Benedict 'to stand down'  (Read 8460 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Pope Benedict 'to stand down'
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 04:59:53 PM »
The Russians (along with various others) are eastern Orthodox and so are in communion with the Greeks. The Ethiopians are oriental orthodox who split off from the Catholic Church even earlier than the eastern Orthodox (over the Council of Chalcedon) and aren't in communion with the Greeks.

Interesting. I wonder who is going to be the next pope.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »
Interesting. I wonder who is going to be the next pope.

I talked to my buddy Vinnie an' he says he can twist all the right arms to get me an inside track, for just a little "consideration fee".  :fuelfire:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »
I saw something on Fox News' site today about the possible successors.  They mentioned a cardinal who used to be head of the Archdiocese of Quebec, who is now in Rome--Marc Ouellet is his name, and he's 68--and Cardinal Ouellet shows up on the Reuters list as well.  Others on the Reuters list (which is far more extensive):

Joao Braz de Aviz (65) of Brazil

Timothy Dolan (62--a serious longshot)

Gianfranco Ravasi (70) of Italy

Leonardo Sandri (69) of Argentina

Odilo Pedro Scherer (63) of Brazil

Christoph Schoenborn (67) of Austria

Angelo Scola, also from Italy (71--Archdiocese of Milan, long considered to be the springboard to the papacy)

Luis Tagle (55) of the Phillipines

and . . .

Peter Turkson (64) of Ghana.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/11/us-pope-succession-candidates-idUSBRE91A0FL20130211

My wife seems to think that Cardinal Dolan is going to be the new Pope.  I don't think so.  I think that Cardinal Peter Turkson will be the next Pope, myself . . .

Maybe he'll be known as 'Peter the Roman.'
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 09:48:52 PM »
There's also Odilo Pedro Scherer

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »
I saw something on Fox News' site today about the possible successors.  They mentioned a cardinal who used to be head of the Archdiocese of Quebec, who is now in Rome--Marc Ouellet is his name, and he's 68--and Cardinal Ouellet shows up on the Reuters list as well.  Others on the Reuters list (which is far more extensive):

Angelo Scola, also from Italy (71--Archdiocese of Milan, long considered to be the springboard to the papacy)

and . . .

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/11/us-pope-succession-candidates-idUSBRE91A0FL20130211

My wife seems to think that Cardinal Dolan is going to be the new Pope.  I don't think so.  I think that Cardinal Peter Turkson will be the next Pope, myself . . .

Ok, so the dummies started a thread about him being next Pope.   :panic:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 12:25:38 AM »
Interesting I don't know much about the Catholic churches. Learn something new every day.

By the way, Catholic simply means "universal."  An Orthodox Christian would consider themselves to belong to a catholic church, as stated in the Nicene Creed, but we do not call ourselves "Catholic." 

I'm a former protestant who converted to Orthodox Christianity and attended a Catholic high school and two Catholic colleges.  I'm happy to serve as a resource for anybody's questions on Orthodoxy.  In the mean time, I'll be enjoying meat for the next month because our Lent doesn't begin until March 18th.  :yahoo:

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 01:37:23 AM »
There's also Odilo Pedro Scherer

Yeah I saw that too.  Two of the candidates with the one name the world doesn't need appearing as the new Pope.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »
Actually the Baptist did not spawn from the Catholic church.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, that sentiment is something that is very hotly debated. As a Baptist myself, I wouldn't state it as fact.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »

and . . .

Yeah I think so too, but if an Italian gets it we may be in trouble according to St Malachi!  :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Dacabeti

• Observer of the Obvious
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
Sorry Sparky, but this upsets me  and  I now wonder how the world will react to this. Last thing the world expected and a shock to all faiths. For most of us the Catholic Church is the Mother Church that spawned all other Christian beliefs.  Martin Luther started the  spawning in Europe that led to the children of the Mother Church.   

I have family that are aghast that this has happened, Baptist, on to 10 other denominations, that still find a tie to the Mother Church, Peter and the rock he built on.   All Christianity comes from the Mother Church, one way or the other.

Now Mother has quit and leaves us, not a good thing.  What are we to think, what is coming next ?     

um NOPE! I am not sure if you are aware of this but the man you call Jesus with the title of Christ was a JEW. Christian beliefs come from the following of the New Covenant (Testament) ; not from Catholicism. The New Covenant was written by Jews and not by Catholics.
My Youngest Son's Senior Year Wrestling Highlights

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." — Thomas Jefferson

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Yeah I think so too, but if an Italian gets it we may be in trouble according to St Malachi!  :-)

The last Pope, according to St. Malachi, is 'Peter the Roman.'  Hence, my bolding of Cardinal Turkson's name.

I loved what Cardinal Dolan said to the Today Show when they asked him if he'd vote for himself.  According to the New York Post, "Dolan deadpanned, 'Crazy people cannot enter the conclave.'"
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline RobJohnson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 06:22:32 AM »
um NOPE! I am not sure if you are aware of this but the man you call Jesus with the title of Christ was a JEW. Christian beliefs come from the following of the New Covenant (Testament) ; not from Catholicism. The New Covenant was written by Jews and not by Catholics.

True and people forget that or refuse to admit it.   Way I see it, the Jews that followed the New Covenant
after a generation or so had broken with the Old Ways and distanced themselves somewhat from the people that followed the old ways, the Jews.

Allways wondered why the  Christians  still held on to Some of the old ways, Passover for one and the Bible Story's of Noah and 101 other story's were taught in sunday school as teachings from the Old Testament.

BTW this stuff about Peter the Roman, could that not refer to not a personal name but a description of any man that sits in the Throne of Peter as the Pope does in Rome.

Then there is the coincidence of the Vatican being struck twice by lightning the night of the Announcement of big changes coming on .

Then the Popes own Brother tells of the Popes struggles with the Cardinals and Bishops that just wore him down.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 06:46:14 AM »
What?
I could go into a lot about misinterpretation but I won't cause its really long. But What?

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 07:08:15 AM »
True and people forget that or refuse to admit it.   Way I see it, the Jews that followed the New Covenant
after a generation or so had broken with the Old Ways and distanced themselves somewhat from the people that followed the old ways, the Jews.

Allways wondered why the  Christians  still held on to Some of the old ways, Passover for one and the Bible Story's of Noah and 101 other story's were taught in sunday school as teachings from the Old Testament.

BTW this stuff about Peter the Roman, could that not refer to not a personal name but a description of any man that sits in the Throne of Peter as the Pope does in Rome.

Then there is the coincidence of the Vatican being struck twice by lightning the night of the Announcement of big changes coming on .

Then the Popes own Brother tells of the Popes struggles with the Cardinals and Bishops that just wore him down.

Holy Shit! :thatsright: Here Vesta...."Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." Christ was Israels final sacrificial offering to God.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
apres moi, le deluge

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2013, 09:14:42 AM »
Holy Shit! :thatsright: Here Vesta...."Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." Christ was Israels final sacrificial offering to God.

Don't agree, it was the  the Jewish Pharisees who feared Rome.

Time and place in history 2000 years ago.   A time when 100's of men walked about claiming to be the Savior.  Romens were facing rebellion from the Jews, and the Jews scared shit of the Romans.  Jesus being a common name at the time was denoted as Jesus of Nazareth to separate him from others of that name.

Jesus did only once told in the Good Book play politics when he told his people to " Rend into Cesar what is Cesar's and conscription into Cesar's Army's --and rend into God what is his."

The Pharisees  walking a fine line became concerned that the shaky ribbon that kept the Romans from going against them was to insure no one came in to cause any trouble.  The lives of all Jews depended on keeping Rome at bay and not going after them.  This Jew like John the Baptist was becoming a problem and who knew when a firestorm would not ignite.    John had lost his head by now and  Jesus of Nazareth was next in line.   

The Romans found no fault with Jesus so the Bible says, but the Pharisees were really alarmed at the consequence of Jesus continuing to gather followers.

Not for religious reasons but political reasons to not get Rome upset with them.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »
Vesta?  I have an idea on what you can give up for Lent.

See if you can guess what it is.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
Don't agree, it was the  the Jewish Pharisees who feared Rome.

Time and place in history 2000 years ago.   A time when 100's of men walked about claiming to be the Savior.  Romens were facing rebellion from the Jews, and the Jews scared shit of the Romans.  Jesus being a common name at the time was denoted as Jesus of Nazareth to separate him from others of that name.

Jesus did only once told in the Good Book play politics when he told his people to " Rend into Cesar what is Cesar's and conscription into Cesar's Army's --and rend into God what is his."

The Pharisees  walking a fine line became concerned that the shaky ribbon that kept the Romans from going against them was to insure no one came in to cause any trouble.  The lives of all Jews depended on keeping Rome at bay and not going after them.  This Jew like John the Baptist was becoming a problem and who knew when a firestorm would not ignite.    John had lost his head by now and  Jesus of Nazareth was next in line.   

The Romans found no fault with Jesus so the Bible says, but the Pharisees were really alarmed at the consequence of Jesus continuing to gather followers.

Not for religious reasons but political reasons to not get Rome upset with them.

Holy Shit! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Vesta dear it may be time for a cat scan! I'm speechless.....

Offline Dacabeti

• Observer of the Obvious
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »
Don't agree, it was the  the Jewish Pharisees who feared Rome.

Time and place in history 2000 years ago.   A time when 100's of men walked about claiming to be the Savior.  Romens were facing rebellion from the Jews, and the Jews scared shit of the Romans.  Jesus being a common name at the time was denoted as Jesus of Nazareth to separate him from others of that name.

The Pharisees  walking a fine line became concerned that the shaky ribbon that kept the Romans from going against them was to insure no one came in to cause any trouble.  The lives of all Jews depended on keeping Rome at bay and not going after them.  This Jew like John the Baptist was becoming a problem and who knew when a firestorm would not ignite.    John had lost his head by now and  Jesus of Nazareth was next in line.    

Oh your poor poor girl; Jesus is not and has never been a common Jewish name. The name Jesus is not Jewish at all. The name Jesus is GREEK. The man the Bible names Jesus was Yeshua which was a common name translated to English as Joshua.

The Pharisees and Sadducee's tried Yeshua for braking Mitzvah and claiming to be GOD, for healing on Sabbath, for miracles and for castigating them on their faith and perverting of the Temple. HE showed them how they put their own power and greed above Faith in his Father. It had NOTHING to do with rebellion against Rome.

I wonder if you are one of those people that believes when Yeshua sad to turn the other cheek he was speaking about being meek and humble and ultimately pacifism?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:40:54 AM by Dacabeti »
My Youngest Son's Senior Year Wrestling Highlights

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." — Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
Oh your poor poor girl; Jesus is not and has never been a common Jewish name. The name Jesus is not Jewish at all. The name Jesus is GREEK. The man the Bible names Jesus was Yeshua which was a common name translated to English as Joshua.

The Pharisees and Sadducee's tried Yeshua for braking Mitzvah and claiming to be GOD, for healing on Sabbath, for miracles and for castigating them on their faith and perverting of the Temple. HE showed them how they put their own power and greed above Faith in his Father. It had NOTHING to do with rebellion against Rome.

I wonder if you are one of those people that believes when Yeshua sad to turn the other cheek he was speaking about being meek and humble and ultimately pacifism?

In no way was Jesus a meek or mild man, nor was he a humble man or into pacifism.   From what I have been taught, Jesus when angered could be fearsome.   HE was not above beating up those that he felt defiled the Temple of his Father.

As those that study him as the Son of God and Divine, I try to study Him as from the Human side, what his live as a human Male on Mothers side---the line Jews follow in deciding how the line goes. 

So I try to understand the times and thoughts of the history of his time.   His mother and her sister, John the Baptists mother have history that is told different in different age old texts, in some John is his first cousin in others his uncle.  Some believe Jesus was an only child others that he had brothers and sisters.

The lost 20 years of his life, where was he, was he studying or traveling ?   What was the catalyst that sent him after all that time to begin gathering up Disciples both Jew and Pagan. 

Fascinating time and a turning point in history for the people up to today.  A simple Carpenter that most likely worked with his Earth father building boats.   True in some passages he confused his own family about what HE was all about.

Politics has allways been the problem of the people of any faith.  Reading Romans poor Paul had his run ins with Rome.   

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
I'm joining ya, Coach . . .

I checked PaddyPower last night, and my wife said, in no uncertain terms, that I was not to place a bet on any Papal candidate.  So, I decided to be smart about it, and follow her suggestion.

Something that was pointed out, though, was that neither of the last two Popes were the odds-on favorites to begin their respective conclaves.

Chase her.