Author Topic: Celtics vs Lakers  (Read 3265 times)

Offline formerlurker

Celtics vs Lakers
« on: June 01, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »

Road trip to the past baby!

Offline CBUSMS

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: Celtics vs Lakers
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:33:11 PM »
Lakers in 5.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:38:35 PM »
Lakers in 5.

Pistons were the sports alphabets' favorites also.   

Boston and underdog?   Loving that equation for some reason.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:13:32 PM »
Lakers' playoff run: 15 games

Celtics' playoff run: 20 games

The playoffs take a lot out of you.

Lakers in 5 (as has been suggested above)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:31:36 PM »
Lakers in 7. Odom will be the first player in the playoffs that will give Pierce defensive pressure.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:44:06 AM »
Not to sound like JCC's NFL rants, but......

Does anyone else see this matchup as fishy?  Ratings have been down for years, no one is even watching the finals anymore.  What can the NBA do?  There is no Jordan to carry the league, LeBron was there last year and no one cared.  I got it.  Seattle, y'all have to take one for the team and trade Ray Allen to the Celtics for practically nothing.  Memphis, why don't y'all trade Gasol to the Lakers for practically nothing?  That will give us a good chance of a Lakers - Celtics finals this year.  No matter how bad the product, Lakers - Celtics will sell.  This is just too convenient.  The scheme worked though, I'll be watching.  Celtics in 6.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 11:59:18 AM »

Does anyone else see this matchup as fishy?  Ratings have been down for years, no one is even watching the finals anymore.  What can the NBA do?  There is no Jordan to carry the league, LeBron was there last year and no one cared.  I got it.  Seattle, y'all have to take one for the team and trade Ray Allen to the Celtics for practically nothing.  Memphis, why don't y'all trade Gasol to the Lakers for practically nothing?  That will give us a good chance of a Lakers - Celtics finals this year.  No matter how bad the product, Lakers - Celtics will sell.  This is just too convenient.  The scheme worked though, I'll be watching.  Celtics in 6.

Two of the poorest teams in the the league, financially, trading older players with expensive contracts to make space on the bench for more younger, promising players to fight for playing time without the high price-tags? Yeah, I could see that as a transparent reality.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 02:23:19 PM »

Two of the poorest teams in the the league, financially, trading older players with expensive contracts to make space on the bench for more younger, promising players to fight for playing time without the high price-tags? Yeah, I could see that as a transparent reality.
Still sounds like a very good coincidence at a very good time for the league, but I'm happy to see it.  I haven't cared about the NBA since number 23 retired.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 02:33:52 PM »

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »

like an old man told me long ago, The mafia controls sports, it's all rigged.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 12:50:41 PM »

like an old man told me long ago, The mafia controls sports, it's all rigged.

and the mob just cashed in big on one of  THE greatest upsets in Superbowl history...

yeah, you've got my vote on 'the NBA'  rigging this season....no doubt about it... more so than football or MLB could ever dream of...

but, they still don't have 100% control over it & the teams/players still have to outperform each other...

but the Celtics win this series cause  the lakers ain't got a big man like KG & Kobe is gonna have problems taking it to the house against the celtics big men

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 11:39:19 AM »
Almost the last chance to throw out a prediction...

I like Boston in six. (own home and one of 3 in L.A.)

How?

1 - cuz 'Fark the Lakers' that's how!

2 - Kendrick Perkins should play big and (hope of hopes) stay out of foul trouble

3 - Boston won the season series 2-0, grabbing 100+ points both times. (D wins championships)

4 - Playoff MVP Paul Pierce. (only Celtic star who can create his own shot every time)

5 - For fans of both the NBA and MST3K, never count out "The Amazing Rondo"! LOL

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 05:47:10 AM »
Cough.

They didn't choke.

By definition, when one chokes, there is noise, movement, desperation.

The Lakers didn't choke.

They blew the NBA Finals without making a sound.

They botched their entire season while standing still.

They lost a 24-point lead -- the biggest collapse in the NBA Finals in at least 37 years -- by staring dreamily into the hardened eyes of a Boston Celtics team that angrily shoved them into next fall.

Choke? On Thursday night in front of a Staples Center crowd whose early cheers lapsed into a stunned and horrified silence, the Celtics' 97-91 victory was more like a smote.

The Lakers led by 21 points after the first quarter, the biggest first-quarter lead in NBA Finals history.

The Lakers led by 20 points midway through the third quarter, an insurmountable margin for a team playing at home and possessing the MVP.

And, yeah, they lost by six.

They gave the game away, but not before one of them walked away.

You know how Los Angeles fans are famously criticized for leaving games early.

Add Kobe Bryant to their list.

He walked off the court with three seconds remaining as the Lakers were bringing up the ball for a final shot.

It was a most egregious act for a most valuable player.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nuplaschke13-2008jun13,0,7835575.column?page=1

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 05:48:34 AM »

That's right Red, the Lakers still suck.....

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 04:10:37 AM »
Lakers in 5.

Wrong.

Lakers' playoff run: 15 games

Celtics' playoff run: 20 games

The playoffs take a lot out of you.

Lakers in 5 (as has been suggested above)

Nope.

Lakers in 7. Odom will be the first player in the playoffs that will give Pierce defensive pressure.

Sorry, but no.

Celtics in 6.

Ding ding ding -- we have a winner!

Almost the last chance to throw out a prediction...

I like Boston in six. (own home and one of 3 in L.A.)

How?

1 - cuz 'Fark the Lakers' that's how!

2 - Kendrick Perkins should play big and (hope of hopes) stay out of foul trouble

3 - Boston won the season series 2-0, grabbing 100+ points both times. (D wins championships)

4 - Playoff MVP Paul Pierce. (only Celtic star who can create his own shot every time)

5 - For fans of both the NBA and MST3K, never count out "The Amazing Rondo"! LOL

Tell the man what he won Johnny!

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 05:07:42 AM »