Author Topic: the primitives and Veterans' Day  (Read 2014 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
the primitives and Veterans' Day
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:08:13 AM »
Today is of course the real Veterans' Day or, as some of us refer to it, Armistice Day, marking the 94th anniversary of the laying-down-of-arms on November 11, 1918; the famous "1th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month."  They're all gone now, but one feels compelled to especially recall those who fought for the liberation of Europe 1914-1918.

But that's neither here nor there.

If one's new to Skins's island and the primitives, one perhaps doesn't know that Veterans' Day unleases rabid fury and Hate among the primitives, third only to the two most-sacred days on the calendar commemorating the birth and resurrection of Christ.  The primitives do a lot of whining on Thanksgiving, but on these other three holidays in particular, the primitives tend to be uglier than ever.

It seems almost supernatural, the primitive capacity to Hate; it's definitely not human.

Never mind that so many made the ultimate sacrifice, and many more than that crippling sacrifices, so as to make this world a better place for everyone, including the primitives.

Being a professional civilian who at the same time's not a primitive, I'm aware I owe a great debt to those who fought tyranny and oppression so as to bring illumination and light into the world. 

But my debt to all those who made franksolich's life freer, safer, and more comfortable, is something I can't calculate; it's like trying to put a dollar-amount on what one owes one's parents and other forebears.  There isn't enough currency in the whole world to pay that one single debt, much less this other one.

All I'm aware of is who's responsible for my well-being, and that what I owe them in return is immeasurable.

The primitives of course don't feel that way, and today they'll be running around in a frenzied orgy of Hate.

If one feels disheartened by what the primitives say, well, the proper reaction is "**** you, primitives."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
Re: the primitives and Veterans' Day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
I didn't serve for the recognition. But a simple thank you from fine folks like yourself make it worth it. :cheersmate:
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
I didn't serve for the recognition. But a simple thank you from fine folks like yourself make it worth it. :cheersmate:

You know, there was one thing that really pissed me off about the election, and some elections before it.

There's always some shenanighans going on with the military vote, usually either not getting the ballots out to the field on time, or not counting the ballots themselves.  I'll bet back in 1864, when soldiers could first vote, they didn't have any of these problems.

This really pisses me off.

The rest of us, the right to vote is a gift, bestowed upon us by God, the Constitution, and our incidental American citizenship.

It's a gift.

But those who actually fought to secure our freedoms, or the freedoms of other people, worked for that right.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »

You deserve thank yous from all of us, April. If I could, I would be serving right along with you. (Well, not during the same timeframe, but you get what I'm saying.)  :-)

Thank you for your service. :cheersmate:

The first Veteran's day here, I was astounded at the primitives behavior. Not so much anymore. They are disgusting creatures, and can only be proven as human, because they have skin, and skeletons. Period. What's inside is not human. It is ugly, malevolent, yucky, and undescribable.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:25:56 AM by Revolution »

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »
Even when I was a kid half a century ago, it was recognized that the rights and wrongs of WWI were a lot more complicated and uncertain than the people called upon to fight it had been led to believe, or even permitted to hear (Including in the US).  It was therefore always taught to us as a day to remember ALL the veterans and the horrors and hardships they had endured, regardless of nationality.  And so I keep it in my heart today; there is something in the brotherhood of arms that transcends nationality, when the fighting is done and the blood has cooled.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »
Even when I was a kid half a century ago, it was recognized that the rights and wrongs of WWI were a lot more complicated and uncertain than the people called upon to fight it had been led to believe, or even permitted to hear (Including in the US).  It was therefore always taught to us as a day to remember ALL the veterans and the horrors and hardships they had endured, regardless of nationality.  And so I keep it in my heart today; there is something in the brotherhood of arms that transcends nationality, when the fighting is done and the blood has cooled.

I still consider it Armistice Day, specifically for those who fought in the first world war (there's other times when one can be grateful to those who fought in other wars), because of childhood literary influences.

About the time I was growing up in the Sandhills, the veterans of the first world war began dying off en masse (this was the 1960s), and some of the contents of their estates ended up in libraries, used-book stores, auctions, and garage sales.  I was a kid, and they were cheap, so I snapped them up.

Historians seem to have since generally agreed that while the second world war was bigger, the first world war was the more-significant one, in the ways it changed the world.

Among other stuff, I learned that the British lost more men in the first war than in the second one; as they lost plenty in the second, the first must've been a real bloodbath for them.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 11:42:10 AM »
I still consider it Armistice Day, specifically for those who fought in the first world war (there's other times when one can be grateful to those who fought in other wars), because of childhood literary influences.

About the time I was growing up in the Sandhills, the veterans of the first world war began dying off en masse (this was the 1960s), and some of the contents of their estates ended up in libraries, used-book stores, auctions, and garage sales.  I was a kid, and they were cheap, so I snapped them up.

Historians seem to have since generally agreed that while the second world war was bigger, the first world war was the more-significant one, in the ways it changed the world.

Among other stuff, I learned that the British lost more men in the first war than in the second one; as they lost plenty in the second, the first must've been a real bloodbath for them.
I saw a pretty sad thing today. It seems that this is the first Veterans Day that there are no more WWI veterans.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 12:48:37 PM »

About the time I was growing up in the Sandhills, the veterans of the first world war began dying off en masse (this was the 1960s), and some of the contents of their estates ended up in libraries, used-book stores, auctions, and garage sales.  I was a kid, and they were cheap, so I snapped them up.

It had stopped being Armistice Day before I was born, although given your lack of exposure to spoken English as a youth, I can see how you might have picked up such an archaism from reading things that were not from the post-WWII era.

Most of the ways the First World War changed the world turned out not to be so much for the better after all, and it really had the opposite effect from 'Making the world safe for democracy,' despite the reams of propaganda and honest idealism to the contrary.

As far as 'Other days' goes, not so much; the only other battle, victorious or otherwise, in the national calendar is Pearl Harbor day, which is not an actual national holiday; some remember that June 6 was D-Day, and few could identify the month, let alone the date, of VE or VJ day, and no particular date comes to the popular mind for most of the other conflicts in our history.  Rather than have holidays of remembrance for any of a hundred installments paid on the butcher's bill, we have Veterans Day for veterans living and dead, and Memorial Day for the dead.

WWI was a titanic bloodbath of proportions almost inconceivable to modern readers, our entire list of casualties from both Iraq and Afghanistan would barely have amounted to those of a significant day's action in WWI terms; in WWII terms, few entire campaigns involved as many killed, wounded, and missing for the Brits as most single WWI major battles.  The losses were so immense that a desire to avoid any repetition of them shaped Interwar decisions that turned out very badly in the long run in Britain and France, so easily condemned as cowardly today by armchair ethicists other such intellectual badasses, writing with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.  However, it did usher in an era of increasing mechanization, which is ultimately why the WWII casualties were so much lower for the Brits than WWI's, if even more costly in material terms.  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:03:12 PM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »

A lot more people died during WWII, but a much higher percentage were civilians, and the conflict covered far more geography.

For a pure bloodbath slaughter, nothing matches WWI's massed infantry marching into machine guns and artillery fire, over and over for years, killing millions.

But maybe judgment should be withheld until the DUmp's trained historian, who has heard the crack of high velocity bullets and tasted copper, checks in.

She has a perspective that none of us can appreciate.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »

Massively more were lost in the First - wiki puts military losses as 885,138 vs 382,600. There are war memorials across the country all of them began after the First World War - even my home village which has about 200 residents these days (would have been smaller then) has one with a list of names carved in for the '14-'18 conflict, and is pretty typical in that.

It also set the scene for the concept of the country coming together in solemn remembrance - the poppies which we wear leading up to Remembrance Day (45 million are sold each year, in a country of about 60 million people) are derived from the fields of Flanders.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »
Has Gnads dropped into any of the threads yet to tell her fellow Primitives how much vets hate to hear the words "Thank you for your service"?   Her husband feels that way so all veterans are obligated to feel the same.  Oh, and the 11Bravo DUmmies with the VN service ribbon avatar backs up her assertion.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »
A bigger contrast to the DUmmies it would be difficult to find and definitely something to cheer one up today:

Victoria Cross Charity Role For George, 12

A 12-year-old boy has become the youngest person ever to be recruited by a charity set up to look after the graves of Victoria Cross holders.

George Taylor, from Northfleet, Kent, has been appointed the Area Officer for Kent by the Victoria Cross Trust . His job is to inspect the graves of all 29 Victoria Cross holders across the county, take pictures and report back to the trust which will then take action to improve their condition if necessary.

The boy's interest in Victoria Cross holders initially came about at the age of eight when he saw a story on television about a war veteran who had to sell his medals to pay his heating bills.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/victoria-cross-charity-role-george-12-061048431.html

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »
Frank, I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1964 two weeks before graduating high school. The idea was to have the summer off before starting active duty.

During that time it was accepted by myself and my friends that Military Duty was expected of us and to serve our country was an honor.

It boils my blood to hear hate coming from leftists who sound like they would rather be living under communism than be free in America.

Has Gnads dropped into any of the threads yet to tell her fellow Primitives how much vets hate to hear the words "Thank you for your service"?   Her husband feels that way so all veterans are obligated to feel the same.   

I don't know why anyone would feel this way. I would simply reply; "it was my duty as a citizen".

Here is a poem that says it all for me;

Freedom is Not Free
By Cheryl Berger.

Why do we call it freedom
When freedom is not free.
The cost was blood and sweat
And tears that bought our liberty.

Look beyond our nation's banner
Waving proudly in the breeze
Across the plains and mountains
Thru the valleys, o'er the seas.

And see a people of variety
Living side by side
In God we trust, our motto
Just laws our leaders' guide.

Yet some still take for granted
They neglect to understand
How great a sacrifice was made
To dwell in this free land.

For many left their loved ones
Their friends, their families
Standing true to oaths once taken
To defend our liberties.

Holding fast they fought for freedom
Both at home and then abroad
Spilling blood upon the waters
O'er the ground on which they trod.

Wounded from the many battles
In mire and blood their bodies lay
The dead with mouths wide open
Forming words they'd never say.

Seeing eyes no longer seeing
Gearing ears no longer hear
Hearts once beating stilled and quiet
Loved ones close no longer near.

And though their hopes and dreams were shattered
Let their deaths not be in vain
We must keep forever burning
Freedom's torch, the victor's flame.

For they died for you, America
Your freedom was not free
For t'was their blood and sweat and tears
That bought your liberty.

So when you speak again of freedom
May your hearts be filled with pride
And your gratitude for those
Who for your freedom fought and died.

John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »
A nice message from our Republican Gov. :-)

Statement of Governor Bob McDonnell on Veterans Day

"Tomorrow, Virginians will join our fellow Americans in thanking and remembering those who have served in the defense of our freedom both here at home and around the world. The sacrifice of these heroes and their families makes it possible for us to continue to live and to freely pursue our dreams here in the greatest nation this world has ever known. Freedom is not free. Our brave veterans remind us of that every day.

Like so many Virginia families, Maureen and I know the sacrifices of service. Our fathers served in World War II. I was honored to serve 21 years in the United States Army, both active and reserve. Our oldest daughter, Jeanine, led an Army platoon in Iraq. That service, through the generations, makes us an ordinary Virginia family. This Commonwealth is the home of the United States military. Every community in our state is enriched by the military members, families, and veterans who live and serve here. Our ongoing goal as an Administration, and shared commitment as Virginians, is to ensure that we always serve the men and women, and their families, who so selflessly serve us. We can't just stop and recognize our heroes on one day. We must recognize them, serve them, and thank them every day. Our liberty depends upon their sacrifice.

Tomorrow, on Veterans Day, I urge all Virginians to once again renew our pledge to all of those who are serving and have served: an eternally grateful Commonwealth and country stand forever ready to serve you."

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »

About the time I was growing up in the Sandhills, the veterans of the first world war began dying off en masse (this was the 1960s), and some of the contents of their estates ended up in libraries, used-book stores, auctions, and garage sales.  I was a kid, and they were cheap, so I snapped them up.

I have read that World War I help pave the way for World War II. World War I contributed to the rise of Soviet Union, Fascist Italy, Nazis Germany, and Imperial Japan.

World War I was quite bloody. World War II had genocides, which added to the death toll.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »
Has Gnads dropped into any of the threads yet to tell her fellow Primitives how much vets hate to hear the words "Thank you for your service"?   Her husband feels that way so all veterans are obligated to feel the same.  Oh, and the 11Bravo DUmmies with the VN service ribbon avatar backs up her assertion.

Damn. Today, the shooting range that I belong to had a USPSA match where the Vets shot for free. I must have insulted several vets.

Yes I know you assertion is sarcasm. I got discharged in 72 and we never heard it at all.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »
Just think of the changes in war between the 1880s and WWI. The tank. The airplane. Artillery. Perfected machine guns. Chemical weapons with improved delivery systems. So much changed.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »
Found a great article with some amazing pictures of the WWI battlefields taken recently. Sorry for the size. But wow:

More really great pics at Link
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »
Found a great article with some amazing pictures of the WWI battlefields taken recently. Sorry for the size. But wow:

More really great pics at Link

That looks like a links course in Scotland.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 06:11:31 PM »
Think that one is Verdun.
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline notaDUmmie

• MDT 5/20/96-6/19/15
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 06:15:15 PM »

Same here - my husband I both served for 20 years, and were proud to do so.

Of course, my DUmp persona is rabidly anti-military... :tongue: