Author Topic: Football stat question  (Read 2730 times)

Offline ChuckJ

Football stat question
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »
A few days back, I saw a high school video that some of you may have also seen. The center hiked the ball expecting the QB to be under center, but the QB was in shotgun formation. Instead of hiking the ball back, the center hiked the ball up. A defender caught the ball while it was still in the air and ran it in for a TD.

How would this be credited on the stats? As a fumble by the center?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
Re: Football stat question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:32:45 PM »
I would think so, since it was last in the center's possession.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »
A fumble.  It would be the same as if a punt were hiked over the punters head.  The recovering team would have the ball unless the punting team recovered and it was the 4th down, in which case the ball would go to the other team on downs.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I was watching an NFL football game and could have sworn the center threw the ball to a receiver.  Can he do that? 
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I was watching an NFL football game and could have sworn the center threw the ball to a receiver.  Can he do that?

I don't see why not.  Let's say the center snaps the ball to the QB, the QB hands off to the RB, the RB fumbles prior to crossing the line of scrimage, and somehow the Center gets the ball while it is still behind the line.  There hasn't been a forward pass to this point and the ball hasn't crossed the line, so the team could still pass the ball forward.

But would you want the center passing the ball?  At this point in the season, I would expect the Chiefs and Jags to try about anything.

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »
I don't see why not.  Let's say the center snaps the ball to the QB, the QB hands off to the RB, the RB fumbles prior to crossing the line of scrimage, and somehow the Center gets the ball while it is still behind the line.  There hasn't been a forward pass to this point and the ball hasn't crossed the line, so the team could still pass the ball forward.

But would you want the center passing the ball?  At this point in the season, I would expect the Chiefs and Jags to try about anything.

I think it was a fourth down play.  Instead of hiking it to the kicker he backed up and threw it. ?????  I had just turned the game on, so I wan't really sure what had happened, so just remember thinking "can he do that"?
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »
I think it was a fourth down play.  Instead of hiking it to the kicker he backed up and threw it. ?????  I had just turned the game on, so I wan't really sure what had happened, so just remember thinking "can he do that"?

The ball has to be hiked, the center can't just pick it up and hand it off or throw.

In college football, Nebraska used to run a play where the center would hike the ball, it would hit the QB's hands and he would drop it, a guard would then scoop it up and run the ball.  They call it the "Fumblerooski," but I think that play has been deemed illegal now.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:53:18 AM by USA4ME »

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »
Thanks for the input. I figured it would be a fumble, but I wasn't sure because I don't remember ever seeing something like that.

As for the Fumblerooski, I do think it is illegal, but I believe either a high school or college team did a similar play last year that was somehow within the rules.

edit to add:

I looked it up. It was apparently two years ago. It was a middle school. It wasn't really like Fumblerooski, but it was interesting.  Below is the video.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIdI8khMkw[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:41:32 PM by ChuckJ »
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
[youtube=425,350][youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xW5MyBP_yE[/youtube][/youtube]

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »
[youtube=425,350][youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xW5MyBP_yE[/youtube][/youtube]

Looks like you were posting at the same time that I was editing.