Author Topic: I'm Getting A Little Nervous And I Need Some Talking Down.....  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
I'm Getting A Little Nervous And I Need Some Talking Down.....
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »

An Anti Bouncy!

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:52 PM

Star Member global1 (9,899 posts)

I had met with a 54 y/o lady on a personal health related matter. In talking with her she said she already early voted here in Chicago. I was in a blue collar neighborhood of Chicago. A neighborhood where a lot of Chicago Policemen and Firemen live as it is on the city border and almost like a suburb. I mentioned that I am looking forward to Obama's second term and she indicated to me that she voted for Obama last time but not this time. I asked why she wouldn't want to vote for him again and her answer was that he didn't do anything in the last 4 years and the economy is still bad.

The Rmoney/Ryan theme of Obama hasn't done anything in the last 4 years seems to be resonating with voters.

I then told her about the Affordable Care Act and how important that is for our future and I told her that her Medicare is in jeopardy if Rmoney wins and I mentioned how important potential SCOTUS appointments will be. She said she would take her chances but she was through with Obama. She said her son lost his business - a store of some kind. I told her that that was a result of the Bush administration and the fact that the Repugs shot down every initiative Obama wanted to do.

Nothing I seemed to say had an impact on her and probably rightly so as she already voted. I couldn't change her vote - but I wanted her to know that it was a bad decision on her part.

I'm now worried as to how many people that voted for Obama last time are falling for this 4yr nothing done theme.

We can't afford to lose too many votes to these people.

Somebody needs to talk me down and tell me that I shouldn't worry about this. That we might lose some votes but we'll also pick up more than enough to win. Right? Tell me that so I can sleep?

Nothing like lying to get your point across about making a bad decision there global 1.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to global1 (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:02 PM

GitRDun (84 posts)

2. I live in Lake County, IL Republican Country

Early voting is dead up here...no repub enthusiasm, no Romney Ryan yard signs. Think you are looking at an outlier.....

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:05 PM

Dan Daly (4 posts)

3. I think your worries are...

very valid. It is going to be very close, Romney has been trending upwards in the polls lately which will further discourage Dem voters to get out and vote. The only way this can be overcome is if Dems turn out +9 over Repugs which the polling is stating. Not good news.

Response to Dan Daly (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:08 PM

Star Member CaliforniaPeggy (99,619 posts)

5. I'm afraid you've been reading the wrong polls. Romney is not trending up.

We are not discouraged; quite the contrary.

Watch the polls here on DU. You'll see.

On edit: here's a poll that is worth seeing.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021627684

:lmao:

Tommy_Carcetti (14,152 posts)

4. Anyone who thinks we aren't better off now than we were 4 years ago is delusional.

Four years ago at this time our economy was in a free fall and we were hemoraging jobs by the million.

Unemployment has now returned to levels lower than what they were at the bottom of the collapse in early 2009. The stock market has returned to pre-collapse levels.

We're in a much healthier situation than we were from the mess that Bush left.

Response to Tommy_Carcetti (Reply #4)

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 01:45 AM

Star Member gkhouston (18,573 posts)

18. Four years ago my family had health insurance and a steady household income.

If our situation gets any "healthier" we'll be out on the street.

Lousy Freeper trol.... huh?

Anita Win (10 posts)

7. I just had the same experience.

Was talking (arguing really) with two men on Face Book. That was their argument. Just kept saying that Obama hasn't done anything in the last 4 years. Wouldn't answer my question as to how Romney would fix it. Don't know where they lived. They were friends of a friend. Said blaming Bush was going backward not forward. It was extremely frustrating. Maybe it's a Fox or Limbaugh talking point.

Thekaspervote (17 posts)

8. No the polls are NOt going in mittens direction!!

Look at: rand life panel poll
Look at: electoral-vote.com
Look at: fivethirtyeight.com
Gallup even dropped mittens numbers by 3!
Forget Rasmussen they are the house internal poll for fixed news!!

Naw, don't look at the real pollsters ... here, look at what I tell you to look at ... It makes me feel good!  LOL

KC

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Karin

Jump!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »
 global1 (9,899 posts)

I had met with a 54 y/o lady on a personal health related matter. In talking with her she said she already early voted here in Chicago. I was in a blue collar neighborhood of Chicago. A neighborhood where a lot of Chicago Policemen and Firemen live as it is on the city border and almost like a suburb. I mentioned that I am looking forward to Obama's second term and she indicated to me that she voted for Obama last time but not this time. I asked why she wouldn't want to vote for him again and her answer was that he didn't do anything in the last 4 years and the economy is still bad.

The Rmoney/Ryan theme of Obama hasn't done anything in the last 4 years seems to be resonating with voters.

I then told her about the Affordable Care Act and how important that is for our future and I told her that her Medicare is in jeopardy if Rmoney wins and I mentioned how important potential SCOTUS appointments will be. She said she would take her chances but she was through with Obama. She said her son lost his business - a store of some kind. I told her that that was a result of the Bush administration and the fact that the Repugs shot down every initiative Obama wanted to do.

Nothing I seemed to say had an impact on her and probably rightly so as she already voted. I couldn't change her vote - but I wanted her to know that it was a bad decision on her part.

I'm now worried as to how many people that voted for Obama last time are falling for this 4yr nothing done theme.

Somebody needs to talk me down and tell me that I shouldn't worry about this. That we might lose some votes but we'll also pick up more than enough to win. Right? Tell me that so I can sleep? 

Suicide run:

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:05 PM
Dan Daly (4 posts)
3. I think your worries are...

very valid. It is going to be very close, Romney has been trending upwards in the polls lately which will further discourage Dem voters to get out and vote. The only way this can be overcome is if Dems turn out +9 over Repugs which the polling is stating. Not good news.

Response to Dan Daly (Reply #3)
Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
 CaliforniaPeggy (99,619 posts)
5. I'm afraid you've been reading the wrong polls. Romney is not trending up.

We are not discouraged; quite the contrary.

Watch the polls here on DU. You'll see.

On edit: here's a poll that is worth seeing.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021627684

:lmao: :rotf:

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:06 PM
Tommy_Carcetti (14,152 posts)
4. Anyone who thinks we aren't better off now than we were 4 years ago is delusional.
:mental:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response to Tommy_Carcetti (Reply #4)
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 01:45 AM
 gkhouston (18,573 posts)
18. Four years ago my family had health insurance and a steady household income.

If our situation gets any "healthier" we'll be out on the street.

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
Anita Win (10 posts)
7. I just had the same experience.

Was talking (arguing really) with two men on Face Book. That was their argument. Just kept saying that Obama hasn't done anything in the last 4 years. Wouldn't answer my question as to how Romney would fix it. Don't know where they lived. They were friends of a friend. Said blaming Bush was going backward not forward. It was extremely frustrating. Maybe it's a Fox or Limbaugh talking point.

Tx4obama (23,501 posts)
13. Below is a link with TONS of information regarding Pres Obama's accomplishments ...

A LIST of links regarding President Obama's Accomplishments: http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022255

Not that damn list again!   :thatsright:  "Held a meeting," "made a speech," "issued a statement."

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 09:32 AM
 justiceischeap (8,129 posts)
23. There are going to be enough McCain to Obama voters this time around

to offset a few who are going to "defect." 

Are you f***ing kidding me?   What is wrong with these people???

DUmp link

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Re: I'm Getting A Little Nervous And I Need Some Talking Down.....
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:27:17 PM »
I love it when they say we are the delusional ones. All you have to do is look around you and you can tell who is right and who is wrong. It ain't them that's for sure.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Karin

Re: Jump!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »
Whoops, Texacon and I did that at the exact same time.  Please merge.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »
:panic: Talk me down!!

Lol. I love that. As if they're actually going to do anything if primitives don't consol;e them right away...

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »
Quote from:
global1

I wish he had done nothing for the last 4 years.  It's worse than that.  Dear Leader's policies are working, and we're all living it.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »
So much like the Mass Senate election.
They looked right at what was about to happen and stood there shaking their heads saying NOOOOOOOOOOO it isn`t so

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:02:38 PM »

Imagine that.  The obvious truth, that has been staring people in the face for four years, is resonating with voters.

Shocking!

Thekaspervote (17 posts)

Never heard of it.  Never heard of it.  Never heard of it.  No, Gallup did not drop by 3.  Rassmussen has been the most accurate poll since at least 2000.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

But, if it makes you feel any better: WAPO - Romney lead expands to +3 over Obama, 50/47.

Oh.... no, that wouldn't now would it?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:16:07 PM by 98ZJUSMC »

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »
GitRDun (84 posts)

2. I live in Lake County, IL Republican Country

Early voting is dead up here...no repub enthusiasm, no Romney Ryan yard signs. Think you are looking at an outlier....

Here is a classic case of a primitive not letting facts get in the way of their narrative.  This one speaks for itself:

2008 Lake County, Illinois Presidential Election results:

Obama   56.0%     111,051 votes    
McCain   43.0%      85,284 votes

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »
Here is a classic case of a primitive not letting facts get in the way of their narrative.  This one speaks for itself:

2008 Lake County, Illinois Presidential Election results:

Obama   56.0%     111,051 votes    
McCain   43.0%      85,284 votes

As an addendum, according to the primitive, if voting is 'dead up' in his county, that would mean R+7, or almost a 20% increase to republicans, since 2008.

That also means D-6, or an 11% decrease for dems, from 2008.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:33:29 PM by BattleHymn »

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 04:38:10 PM »
justiceischeap (8,129 posts) 23. There are going to be enough McCain to Obama voters this time around to offset a few who are going to "defect."

Name one.  Just one.  Just one solitary one.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
Name one.  Just one.  Just one solitary one.

You could fit all the people who voted for McCain who are going to vote for 0bama this time, in a phone booth.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »

Now THAT'S delusional.

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
Let me see, Obama decided to insure universal health care by taxing anyone who doesn't have coverage.

BRILLIANT!!!!
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »
Name one.  Just one.  Just one solitary one.

Arguably, 2008 was probably right at the base support of states/voters a Republican candidate could expect to receive in our current political makeup, and it turned out to be 173 electoral votes.

Has anyone here met someone who voted for McCain, and is now voting for the Great Divider?  

I haven't.  Since 2009, I've been to three states that are reliably blue, ten states that are reliably red, and two states that are categorized as 'swing' states.

Obviously no one can talk to everyone in every state they travel to, but with the various people I've engaged in light conversation with, I have yet to encounter a McCain voter who has changed their mind.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
Let me see, Obama decided to insure universal health care by taxing anyone who doesn't have coverage.

BRILLIANT!!!!

If reelected he will fix the homeless problem and unemployment problems by taxing people without a mailing address, and those without a job.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 04:59:23 PM »
As an addendum, according to the primitive, if voting is 'dead up' in his county, that would mean R+7, or almost a 20% increase to republicans, since 2008.

That also means D-6, or an 11% decrease for dems, from 2008.  

I think he meant dead up there, not dead up (even).  Plus, if my Northern Illinois sources are correct, that idiot is full of it.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
Arguably, 2008 was probably right at the base support of states/voters a Republican candidate could expect to receive in our current political makeup, and it turned out to be 173 electoral votes.

Has anyone here met someone who voted for McCain, and is now voting for the Great Divider?  

I haven't.  Since 2009, I've been to three states that are reliably blue, ten states that are reliably red, and two states that are categorized as 'swing' states.

Obviously no one can talk to everyone in every state they travel to, but with the various people I've engaged in light conversation with, I have yet to encounter a McCain voter who has changed their mind.

As I noted in another thread, that is exactly what I have found.  I've encountered a lot of people who voted for Blammo but now say they are either voting for someone else or just not voting for him again, I have encountered exactly NOBODY who voted for McCain (Or, more accurately in many case including mine, Sarah Palin for VP) but is now going to vote for Obama.

This is why I think the pollsters' modeling assumptions are completely wrong.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
votes.

Nope.  Not one.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »

You're just not hanging out in the right supermarket checkout lines.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
As I noted in another thread, that is exactly what I have found.  I've encountered a lot of people who voted for Blammo but now say they are either voting for someone else or just not voting for him again, I have encountered exactly NOBODY who voted for McCain (Or, more accurately in many case including mine, Sarah Palin for VP) but is now going to vote for Obama.  Heh, me too.

This is why I think the pollsters' modeling assumptions are completely wrong.

Interesting.  A Cobbloger over at AOSHQ (Dave in Fla) made the same statement today.  The gist was that the fundamentals of the election have pushed the models out of whack, something like that.  I can't remember it more specifically, but it matched up with your statement.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »

Star Member global1 (9,899 posts)

Therein lies your problem. You think everyone who doesn't think exactly like you do is thinking the wrong thoughts or making the wrong choices or has the wrong values. And you're overly condescending about it. Maybe the woman was vague simply because she didn't want to get into a conversation with an idiot. Think about it, when even the leaders of your own party, the people you're trying to get elected thinks you're nutjobs, maybe it's time to do a little self assessment instead of patronizing people with your WRONG opinions. The world is laughing AT you, not with you.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »

Thekaspervote (17 posts)

Never heard of it.  Never heard of it.  Never heard of it.  No, Gallup did not drop by 3.  Rassmussen has been the most accurate poll since at least 2000.

That is Nate Silvers NYTs blog.
It is said to be almost always accurate and that is true,but so would the Farmers Almanacs weather predictions if they were updated daily based on what was actually happening outside.

As polling info comes in he changes his forecasts accordingly so whatever happens to be the best info on election day or the day before is his final prediction.
Kind of hard not to be terribly wrong that way.

I know this because I watched his tracking of what was then my district in 2010 and as it closed in on election day and the polling swung from the incumbent to Rep Gibson so did his who will win odds.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »

Rob Schneider Can't Vote for Obama Again

[youtube=425,350]Qpue0AAPAtY[/youtube]
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
He must want to hang on to some of that Safe Auto money.  Lord knows he hasn't had a job in a while.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.