Author Topic: Official Sandy thread  (Read 50865 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Official Sandy thread
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2012, 08:16:41 AM »
It ain't fun.  And it is something you will always remember.  Hang tight!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2012, 08:17:46 AM »
Gusts in the 30s here outside Philly. Storm has picked up speed to 20 mph. Looks like it's going to hit Atlantic City. We still have power here.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
I think the worst thing about the high winds is they don't let up.  It's not like getting a big gust and thinking "wow! that was strong!!"  It starts up then doesn't stop for HOURS and you start seeing things blow down and over that you never thought would be blown down and over.  When you see the windows in your house flexing it is eye opening!

Good luck to all y'all in the path of the storm and stay safe!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »
Gusts in the 30s here outside Philly. Storm has picked up speed to 20 mph. Looks like it's going to hit Atlantic City. We still have power here.

I'm 30 miles west of Atlantic City so the eye is going to go straight over me tonight which is going to be really eerie!  That's only happened one other time in my life -- Hurricane Agnes in 1972.  I can remember going outside (I was 9) and watching the cloud banks in the sky just swirling around and the air was very still and quiet.  It lasted about 15/20 minutes before the wind picked up again, stronger of course on the back end of the storm.  I won't really be able to see it happen tonight, but I'll hear it when it happens.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline CG6468

« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »
Brother-n-law south of Buffalo reports high winds, heavy rain. They're hunkered down.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
I'm 30 miles west of Atlantic City so the eye is going to go straight over me tonight which is going to be really eerie!  That's only happened one other time in my life -- Hurricane Agnes in 1972.  I can remember going outside (I was 9) and watching the cloud banks in the sky just swirling around and the air was very still and quiet.  It lasted about 15/20 minutes before the wind picked up again, stronger of course on the back end of the storm.  I won't really be able to see it happen tonight, but I'll hear it when it happens.

The only thing I can remember that compares to this is the nor'easter of January, 1991. I was in Rehoboth, Del., at the time, and it completely shredded the boardwalk. This is going to be worse. Hang in there. It's still supposed to be a hurricane when it hits me. Stay safe!
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2012, 08:34:37 AM »
Another thing that really sux is if/when the power goes out and you don't have a generator.  You can't watch the news to see what's going on!  By the time your power comes back on the news is no longer covering your disaster so you are the only ones who really don't know what happened.

That has always bothered me.

After both Rita and Ike I had to search the internet to see what really happened.   We were without power for about a week after both.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »
Our weather in Western NC was updated.  Orginally we were only to get snow tonight from 10pm until noon tomorrow.  Now they've added continued rain through Tuesday with snow starting again Tuesday night at 10pm and going through noon Wednesday.  Snow and rain I don't mind so much, it's the noise from the wind that wears on you after a while.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »

I have seen the eye of Hurricane David.  That was enough for me.  Be safe and check in when you can. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Undies

« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
My only real-life experience with a hurricane was when I was a boy.  We were visiting my sister and other family in Houston when Hurricane Carla approached.  We left and came back to north Texas.  

I remember the wind.  It was probably 20 MPH at that time.

Carla was really the Mother of all Hurricanes.  A cat 4 direct hit on the Texas coast.  Scary stuff.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
I have seen the eye of Hurricane David.  That was enough for me.  Be safe and check in when you can. 

The morning after Agnes, I found a baby squirrel in my front yard which had been either blown out of its nest or orphaned by the hurricane. I brought him inside (he was so young, his eyes weren't fully open) and we took care of him all summer, first feeding him milk with an eye dropper, then nuts and seeds.  He lived in an old birdcage we had and I named him Chippy  :-).  He drove the dog crazy -- a cocker spaniel that LOVED to chase squirrels.  I'd close the inner door to the enclosed front porch to keep the dog out and let Chippy run around. He liked to climb up my arm and sit on my shoulder.  At the end of the summer, when he was old enough and big enough, we let him go outside . . . he was a cutie!
Piney Power!!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Undies

« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »
The morning after Agnes, I found a baby squirrel in my front yard which had been either blown out of its nest or orphaned by the hurricane. I brought him inside (he was so young, his eyes weren't fully open) and we took care of him all summer, first feeding him milk with an eye dropper, then nuts and seeds.  He lived in an old birdcage we had and I named him Chippy  :-).  He drove the dog crazy -- a cocker spaniel that LOVED to chase squirrels.  I'd close the inner door to the enclosed front porch to keep the dog out and let Chippy run around. He liked to climb up my arm and sit on my shoulder.  At the end of the summer, when he was old enough and big enough, we let him go outside . . . he was a cutie!

It was good of you to mother that fuzzy-tailed disease-carrying tree rat.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
Sandy hit us last night. The eye isn't over us yet, they said it should be by tomorrow morning. Everything here is being shut down and getting cancelled. Happy Valley isn't going to be Vally Happy today, or tomorrow.

Offline Undies

« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »
Sandy hit us last night. The eye isn't over us yet, they said it should be by tomorrow morning. Everything here is being shut down and getting cancelled. Happy Valley isn't going to be Vally Happy today, or tomorrow.

Hang in there, kiddo.  We're praying for y'all.

You have electricity?

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2012, 09:36:13 AM »
Hang in there, kiddo.  We're praying for y'all.

You have electricity?

Yeah, we still have electricity. The worse hasn't hit us yet. So there is more to come. They started cancelling things last night, and Governor Gorbett declared a state of emergency last night as well. They said this thing is going to be 800 miles wide. Pa is right in the path of it. So it should be interesting.

Offline Undies

« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2012, 09:47:20 AM »
Yeah, we still have electricity. The worse hasn't hit us yet. So there is more to come. They started cancelling things last night, and Governor Gorbett declared a state of emergency last night as well. They said this thing is going to be 800 miles wide. Pa is right in the path of it. So it should be interesting.

We are having some of the most beautiful weather you can imagine.  The local news was interviewing some folks from "up there" who are stranded by flight cancellations at DFW.  They can't believe their good fortune.

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2012, 09:52:30 AM »
10 hours from landfall in Atlantic City. North end of the boardwalk is no more. Looking for pix...
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »
We are having some of the most beautiful weather you can imagine.  The local news was interviewing some folks from "up there" who are stranded by flight cancellations at DFW.  They can't believe their good fortune.

Yeah, they cancelled all flights in and out. People are being advised to stay away for a couple of days.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »
Yeah, they cancelled all flights in and out. People are being advised to stay away for a couple of days.

Hi Kyle -- Sandy hasn't hit the coast (Atlantic City) as yet  -- it's supposed to hit us tonight in AC so you have LOTS more to come  :bawl:.  Looking at the most recent track on Drudge, it's like I have a giant target painted on my house . . .
Piney Power!!

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2012, 10:11:05 AM »
Hi Kyle -- Sandy hasn't hit the coast (Atlantic City) as yet  -- it's supposed to hit us tonight in AC so you have LOTS more to come  :bawl:.  Looking at the most recent track on Drudge, it's like I have a giant target painted on my house . . .

Yeah, you will get the bulk before I do. I a praying that we make it through this... I haven't been through a hurricane since I lived in Florida. That was 25 years ago.

Note:  Directv customers - For live 24/7 Hurricane Sandy coverage tune in the two dedicated DIRECTV channels 325 and 349.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

It's made its left-hand turn and is heading directly at AC  :panic:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:13:38 AM by njpines »
Piney Power!!

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

It's made its left-hand turn and is heading directly at AC  :panic:

I am watching coverage from Seaside Heights New Jersey. They are getting pounded. They said that this hurricane is worse than Irene.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
obama is going to try and be Presidential and make an announcement at 12:15 Pm.. I can't wait to see what he says... Not!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »
Be careful everyone, and njpines it's hitting right near you so be really careful. It's 200 miles outside of AC, hearing about road closures in Monmouth County. We have battery operated radios so at least if the power goes out we'll have an idea of what's going on. We're on a waiting list for a generator, no idea how many are on the list before us, and no idea if they're even getting a delivery today. We have a portable propane cooker you use for camping so at least we'll be able to heat soup and other canned food items up if needed, and we have tons of water bottles in the basement so we'll be fine as far as that goes.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »