Author Topic: Pre-Post Election "Blame it on Ohio" Thread  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
Pre-Post Election "Blame it on Ohio" Thread
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »
ProfessionalLeftist (3,503 posts)

OH SHIT. Is the Supreme Court About To Swing Another Presidential Election?

If the court cuts early voting in Ohio, it could be a difference maker in the Buckeye State.

The Supreme Court will soon decide whether to reverse a federal court ruling requiring the state of Ohio to let its counties decide whether to permit early voting during the weekend before Election Day. With the presidential race tight in Ohio, and the presidency potentially turning on the state’s electoral votes, the court’s decision could help determine who will win the White House. While the Obama campaign has a strong policy argument for the extension of early voting to include this final weekend, its constitutional claim is a major stretch.

In 2008, more than 100,000 voters—many poor, women, less educated, and minorities—cast ballots in Ohio during the weekend before Election Day. Voting in Ohio in 2008 was a great success compared with 2004, when long lines, especially in urban areas such as Cleveland, were common and discouraged people from voting. Early voting relieved the stress of Election Day. and got your guy in the white house

But the Ohio legislature, dominated by Republicans, cut back on the last weekend of early voting for 2012. Florida’s Republican legislature did the same thing, likely out of a belief that this late period of early voting helps Democrats. Especially helpful to Democrats were “Souls to the Polls” programs to bus African-American churchgoers from Sunday services to vote. Indeed, Doug Preisse, chair of the Franklin County Republican Party and elections board member who voted against weekend hours for early voting, explained his reasoning in an email to the Columbus Dispatch. “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban—read African-American—voter-turnout machine. … Let’s be fair and reasonable.”

When Ohio trimmed the time for early voting, it did so through a complicated set of legislative maneuvers that left only military and other overseas voters with the right to vote on that last weekend. This different treatment provided an opening for the Obama campaign to challenge the cutback: Why should the state take away the right to vote on this last day of voting for everyone except for military and overseas voters? The campaign claimed a violation of the constitutional guarantee of “equal protection” under the laws and said the state needed to restore the last weekend of early voting for all voters.

MORE...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/10/if_the_supreme_court_cuts_early_voting_in_ohio_it_could_swing_the_state.html

(People - you KNOW what the USSC will do with this. They have no credibility anymore and are simply thugs who work on behalf of GOP/corporations)
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021544333

Nope. Only one USSC member has no credibility anymore, and he showed it not long ago. That'd be Justice Roberts. Others like Kaegan had not an ounce of credibility to begin with. Like you guys need early voting in imperitive states just so that you can rack up tons of blue votes (not to mentionfraudulent votes from Big Bird, etc) from people you pander to. Face it, you own a lot of them. You're basically slave owners. Bigoted assholes.

Squinch (181 posts)

11. It is so obviously nothing more than dirty tricks that if the SC upholds it,

we can just write them off as a GOP campaign office.

:lmao:

INdemo (3,024 posts)

37. If Rmoney wins we will not have any rights to pass new legislation

The corporate cats will control us, we will lose what we have fought for over the last 250 years...we lose our democracy so what is left..nothing.

:panic:

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Pre-Post Election "Blame it on Ohio" Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
I'm going to rant here, I'm getting fed up with this early voting crap, there should be absentee ballots for those in the military or for people who have a good enough reason to need 1, such as being out of the Country or illness, and that's it. Election Day is the 1st Tuesday in November, most people should only be voting on that day, if you choose not to? too bad.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »
Good grief! These people have lost their minds. Who the hell translates the Constitution this way?

As far as I'm concerned, just what the hell is this early voting shit? Seems to me to be nothing more than an opportunity for DimWits to cheat. What other reason is there?

They're tryin' to tell us that their side is too lazy to make it out to vote on election day. Ya don't see Repubs arguing for early voting, other than the military, which doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out.

Hell most of 'em right now, aren't even stateside!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »
I'm going to rant here, I'm getting fed up with this early voting crap, there should be absentee ballots for those in the military or for people who have a good enough reason to need 1, such as being out of the Country or illness, and that's it. Election Day is the 1st Tuesday in November, most people should only be voting on that day, if you choose not to? too bad.

Agreed.

Election day should be one day, and one day only, the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.

"Early voting" allows the corrupt blue-cty bosses too much time to mess with the paperwork.

I don't know why so many others haven't seen this.  Early voting gave the (D)s so much more time to cheat.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »
Agreed.

Election day should be one day, and one day only, the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.

"Early voting" allows the corrupt blue-cty bosses too much time to mess with the paperwork.

I don't know why so many others haven't seen this.  Early voting gave the (D)s so much more time to cheat.

Not only that, but havin' a purple thumb wouldn't hurt either!

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »
But the Ohio legislature, dominated by Republicans, cut back on the last weekend of early voting for 2012. Florida’s Republican legislature did the same thing, likely out of a belief that this late period of early voting helps Democrats. Especially helpful to Democrats were “Souls to the Polls” programs to bus African-American churchgoers from Sunday services to vote. Indeed, Doug Preisse, chair of the Franklin County Republican Party and elections board member who voted against weekend hours for early voting, explained his reasoning in an email to the Columbus Dispatch. “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban—read African-American—voter-turnout machine. … Let’s be fair and reasonable.”

What do you reckon they'd say if we started bussing white people from conservative churches to the polls after Sunday services?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »
What do you reckon they'd say if we started bussing white people from conservative churches to the polls after Sunday services?

I don't know why we don't. If we don't expose the bigotry of the left, how the hell are the American people goin' to see it?

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
INdemo (3,024 posts)

37. If Rmoney wins we will not have any rights to pass new legislation

The corporate cats will control us, we will lose what we have fought for over the last 250 years...we lose our democracy so what is left..nothing.

Madison CryingMan checks in.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »

...and load up the car trunks. :-)

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 07:56:57 PM »

:panic:      :panic:       :panic:       :panic:

I don't know if it was at the (D)Ump, but I read some pinheads bitching about this like it is standard practice everywhere in the country outside of their 2 sq. mi. urban blue bubble.   :mental: I think the comment ran:  "we should send in the IRS because bible clingers are busing Jesus lovers to the polls", or something like that.

Idiots.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 08:02:25 PM »

Gotta disagree, it gets so crowded at some of the polling places that its not possible to vote before work on on your lunch break and then you end up after a long work day having the choice to stand in line for hours to vote or go home to dinner and your family. You would end up hurting more working tax payers than lazy govt suckers.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »
Gotta disagree, it gets so crowded at some of the polling places that its not possible to vote before work on on your lunch break and then you end up after a long work day having the choice to stand in line for hours to vote or go home to dinner and your family. You would end up hurting more working tax payers than lazy govt suckers.

I understand that.  My last voting experience from an urban/suburban home of record was my first (Reagan v. Idiot).  It wasn't that crowded, but I can see where time constraints vis-a-vis work, is a problem for some.  Still, the process needs to be tightened up and the various legislatures need to be locked out of meddling (ie. Military absentee) in the process.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »

Pretty easy solution, just give everybody the damn day off! That would solve all kinds of problems.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 08:28:57 AM »

It's 1 day every 4 years, if you have to wait on line then call for take-out pizza for dinner, and it's something that's worth standing in line for. Sorry, this issue ticks me off and excuses like that don't make it easier. People wait on long lines to go to a good restaurant, to see a new blockbuster movie that's out, to see a concert.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
It's 1 day every 4 years, if you have to wait on line then call for take-out pizza for dinner, and it's something that's worth standing in line for. Sorry, this issue ticks me off and excuses like that don't make it easier. People wait on long lines to go to a good restaurant, to see a new blockbuster movie that's out, to see a concert.

Yep we, meaning people in this country, camp out for days in front of the Apple Store for the new iPhone but can't be bothered to wait an hour in line to vote.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Undies

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 08:49:03 AM »

See 'em wait in line for hours to show their ID in order to get a free Obamaphone.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 09:02:11 AM »
Some of us legitamite voters can't vote on that day.

I have a VERY specialized job where I work. In fact, right now, there are only 3 people who can cover for me, and 2 of them are on call, and the 3rd one is extremely busy all day.

I can't count on my relief to come in early, because neither one on the night shift care about voting, and my supervisor won't request them to come in an hour early. (My polling place is 15 minutes from work)

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline BigTex

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »

and none of those line are as long as voting late on election day, but my point is the average voter wont do it especially in states without any meaningful races. I wouldnt stand in line for 3 hours to vote for Romney who will easily take Texas, thankfully we have early voting.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
Some of us legitamite voters can't vote on that day.

I have a VERY specialized job where I work. In fact, right now, there are only 3 people who can cover for me, and 2 of them are on call, and the 3rd one is extremely busy all day.

I can't count on my relief to come in early, because neither one on the night shift care about voting, and my supervisor won't request them to come in an hour early. (My polling place is 15 minutes from work)

I'm not making light of your situation, but I'm sure in the horse and buggy days they'd have an excuse too. We can all have an excuse but voting day is the 1st Tuesday in Nov. that's what it should be except in a few special circumstances like I stated above.

and none of those line are as long as voting late on election day, but my point is the average voter wont do it especially in states without any meaningful races. I wouldnt stand in line for 3 hours to vote for Romney who will easily take Texas, thankfully we have early voting.

Yet as was stated above, people will stand in line for days to get the newest iphone, priorities.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »
Not only that, but havin' a purple thumb wouldn't hurt either!

From a hammer wacking it if you push 'democratic'? :-)
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline BigTex

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 12:32:49 PM »
Yet as was stated above, people will stand in line for days to get the newest iphone, priorities.

And how many of those people in the iphone line do you think vote republican?

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »
And how many of those people in the iphone line do you think vote republican?

iphone users could go either way politically.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
iphone users could go either way politically.

My brother and SIL both vote Republican, and have iPhones.  (Come to think of it, he tells her how to vote, as she's a pharmacist and really doesn't get much time to listen/look at news.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »
My brother and SIL both vote Republican, and have iPhones.  (Come to think of it, he tells her how to vote, as she's a pharmacist and really doesn't get much time to listen/look at news.)

My Husband is A-Political though he leans towards Conservatism, when we get our ballot in the mail he says "how are we voting" and I go over the ballot and tell him who to vote for, and how to vote on the ballot question.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
bally, don't take away my early voting  :panic:  I can't stand these idiots here and this is the only way I don't have to stand in line and "be" with them.  :panic:  I am going tomorrow afternoon  :-)

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.