Author Topic: Question.....  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Flame

Question.....
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »
My husband and I don't play golf, but my 12 year old wants to learn how to play.  What is the best/most economic way to enable him to learn/play the game??

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Question.....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:54:31 AM »
My husband and I don't play golf, but my 12 year old wants to learn how to play.  What is the best/most economic way to enable him to learn/play the game??

School golf team. City courses. Buy him some used youth clubs on something like Craigslist. He'll outgrow them anyway.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »
I think the city courses here charge $9.  I would spend that much at the arcade on a Saturday.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »
But how does he learn?  There is no one to show him!

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »

Golf coach at school.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »
 :fuelfire:
Golf coach at school.

Hahahahahahahahaha...I live in complete po-dunk ville.  He's in 7th grade...only sport offered at school for him is basketball.  Soonest he can do golf at school is 9th grade.

Looked for the First Tee programs, etc, nothing within in 30 miles, after that I stopped checking.  Nearest bigger town is 20 minutes, and tried to find something there, but I can't spend ton and all the private courses that had lessons were pricey.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »
:fuelfire:
Hahahahahahahahaha...I live in complete po-dunk ville.  He's in 7th grade...only sport offered at school for him is basketball.  Soonest he can do golf at school is 9th grade.

Looked for the First Tee programs, etc, nothing within in 30 miles, after that I stopped checking.  Nearest bigger town is 20 minutes, and tried to find something there, but I can't spend ton and all the private courses that had lessons were pricey.

Driving ranges.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »

Lessons are actually fairly reasonable.  But before he hits the course, I would suggest the lessons, INCLUDING COURSE ETIQUETTE (!!!) and hitting a few buckets of balls to get a feel for the swing, stance, etc.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:47:03 PM »
Lessons are actually fairly reasonable.  But before he hits the course, I would suggest the lessons, INCLUDING COURSE ETIQUETTE (!!!) and hitting a few buckets of balls to get a feel for the swing, stance, etc.
Plenty of videos on the internet to watch prior to trying, and practicing.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »
I'd even suggest a few shows on the Golf Channel if you get that on your cable system.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford