Author Topic: "Extreme Makeover" recipient in Idaho selling home  (Read 7188 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
"Extreme Makeover" recipient in Idaho selling home
« on: May 24, 2008, 03:05:29 PM »
SANDPOINT, Idaho -- A Sandpoint man whose family received a house from the "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" television program is putting it up for sale.

Eric Hebert said maintaining the home is too expensive and time-consuming as he raises his late sister's 11-year-old twins, Keely and Tyler.

"It's a little too much for the three of us," he said.

Hebert is worried that community members who helped build his home in November 2006 will think he is selling it to make a profit.

"I'm doing it not to lose money," he said. "I just hope people understand the reality of it."

Hebert is single, works full-time in construction and spends most evenings taking the kids to baseball and soccer practice. He said wants to enjoy his time with his niece and nephew, whose mother, Francine Hebert, died in 2004 of a heart attack at age 37.

Maintaining the 3,600-square-foot home is expensive, he added. Since moving in, Hebert said, his bills have tripled.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_id_extreme_makeover_sale.html

I love Extreme Makeover but I do wonder if sometimes the homes are built more for the effect at the end of the show than to suit the needs of the family.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: "Extreme Makeover" recipient in Idaho selling home
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 05:27:06 PM »
I agree, i've said many times that they go over board on the size of the houses.  They could make them just as nice but a lot smaller (of course unless it is a large family).  The utility bills and property taxes alone must be more than what they were paying for their mortgage on their old houses.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
I agree, i've said many times that they go over board on the size of the houses.  They could make them just as nice but a lot smaller (of course unless it is a large family).  The utility bills and property taxes alone must be more than what they were paying for their mortgage on their old houses.

Not to mention cleaning the damn thing. Damn, that home is 200 Sq Ft bigger than mine and we have a hard enough trying to keep it clean with just two dogs. Doesn't help that my wife is about the most undomesticated woman I've ever known.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 05:31:25 PM »

Not to mention cleaning the damn thing. Damn, that home is 200 Sq Ft bigger than mine and we have a hard enough trying to keep it clean with just two dogs. Doesn't help that my wife is about the most undomesticated woman I've ever known.

Ummm I'm tellin'. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »

One dog mops and the other sweeps?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 05:34:25 PM »

No, they have a basket full of toys that the drag all over the first floor. They being in grass from the back yard. It's a pain in the ass to sweep 1500 sq ft of hardwoods.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
Ummm I'm tellin'. 

You won't be telling her anything she doesn't already know.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »

I agree. I also wonder if they get a 1099 in the mail for the cost of the makeover.....they might have to pay income tax on the improvements.

One of the most touching makeover shows I seen was Mobile Home Disaster on CMT...they guy was a school teacher and single parent of five boys...one of the kids had to sleep at Grandma's due to a lack of space....this show seemed a little more practical to me. http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/mobile-home-disaster/series.jhtml (There is a video highlight of the episode)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 06:07:18 PM by RobJohnson »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »

No, they have a basket full of toys that the drag all over the first floor. They being in grass from the back yard. It's a pain in the ass to sweep 1500 sq ft of hardwoods.
leaf.blower   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 06:13:20 PM »
I dunno.

Is this that one show with that bossy woman and the fat guy who looks a little squishy?

If so, I wouldn't let these people come within ten miles of any house I lived in.

I've only ever seen three or four of these shows, but in every single instance, they took fine Victorian-era homes and ruined them with hippie crafts and hippie crap.

Ugh.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 07:05:12 PM »
I dunno.

Is this that one show with that bossy woman and the fat guy who looks a little squishy?

If so, I wouldn't let these people come within ten miles of any house I lived in.

I've only ever seen three or four of these shows, but in every single instance, they took fine Victorian-era homes and ruined them with hippie crafts and hippie crap.

Ugh.

No Frank that is not the show.  Extreme Home Makeover has an obnoxious guy with ADHD who runs around screaming in everyone's ears with a bullhorn.  They usually totally demolish the peoples old house and totally rebuild a new house in it's place. 

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
You need to get a Roomba.

I have one. I took it upstairs to the game room about 2 months ago and forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me. :banghead:

Offline jendf

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »
3600 square feet for one adult and two children? Yeah, that's excessive. I don't blame him for selling.

I do enjoy the show but the designers go for "over-the-top" effects every time. Of course it's for ratings.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 11:39:16 PM »
That's a big house for only 3 people.  I don't think this is the first time I've heard about people from that show struggling afterwards with bills and such.  I don't understand why they don't do a more practical sized house.  *shrug*

I stopped watching that show a few years ago.  I realized ever episode was alike and got bored with it.  I really just wanted to see more of the house and less of the hosts crying.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 11:44:23 PM »
3600 sq ft is big?

My house is only 1100 sq feet.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 12:16:07 AM »
We're looking at one that is 4200 and there is only two of us.
This one is 3000 and it's too damn small.

Whatever.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 12:16:59 AM »

I guess it depends on the person.  My house is a good size for me.  I do sometimes wish I had another bedroom, but it's not a necessity. 
Stink Eye

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 12:19:57 AM »

I guess it depends on the person.  My house is a good size for me.  I do sometimes wish I had another bedroom, but it's not a necessity. 

In my case, I have about 1500 Sq Ft of useless space without kids....which, damnit, I want. Two posters have been in my home and stayed overnight. Chris and Freeper. I think BC is just bragging.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 01:49:46 AM »
I lived in 2200 square feet alone...too much wasted space...sure it was nice, hardwood, ceramic and balcony over the living room....alot of extra to heat during the cold winters...and a family room with high cathedrals was expensive to try and keep cool in the summer.......

The house fire turned out to be a blessing.  :-)

I like less space....at least while I no family of my own....low cost of living is better for me...I do not need to sit at home thinking that I am enjoying the "walls" that are costing me an arm and a leg.....

Been there, done that....as I approach the half way point in life...less is better....no more big yards and houses to take care of...I remember planting and taking care of 300 Arborvitaes on top of a full back yard garden and orchard...that shit is for the birds.  :rotf:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:00:13 AM by RobJohnson »

Offline RGSG99

• Homeschooling and loving it!
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »
3600 sq ft is big?

Our house is about 1900 square feet.  We raised 4 kids here and never felt crowded.   :???:
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
– H.L. Mencken

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 11:23:49 AM »

In my case, I have about 1500 Sq Ft of useless space without kids....which, damnit, I want. Two posters have been in my home and stayed overnight. Chris and Freeper. I think BC is just bragging.

Oh, and **** you for the insinuation.
If I'm bragging, you will ****ing know it.

:lmao:  Damn dude.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 11:30:12 AM »

Not at all.  You get yourself 5 cats, 4 dogs and 14 birds and see if you don't want 4200 sq ft.

thats not a house, thats a zoo!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
I used to get sucked into watching this show. I got tired of blubbering through the whole thing and I got tired of ADD Boy running around screaming.

I've noticed that on some of the shows, they tell the family at the end that a sponsor has paid off their mortgage. I don't watch anymore so I don't know if that was just a thing on a few episodes I saw or if that's a new twist. I also recall reading somewhere that they somehow play with the legalities so the new homeowner isn't stuck with massive property tax.

I'm shocked at how over-the-top those homes are. Especially when most of them are on the same lot that the crappy/small home was on. I wonder what it's like to be their neighbors?!??!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »
I've heard rumors of problems with the homes, mostly with the foundation.  How long does a poured foundation take to cure?  24 hours? 

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 02:04:57 PM »
The owners sign a "rental" agreement with the show to rent the house to them for 10 days. There's a clause that allows them to make improvements while they rent it. That's how they avoid additional taxes on the work.

I'm sure there'll be additional property taxes coming though once the value is upped a few hundred K.