Author Topic: Stairs  (Read 32435 times)

Offline Dblhaul

Re: Stairs
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »
Looking great!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »
We did do more work this past weekend than I will show here. Mainly sanding the shit out of everything.

He started putting the trim back on the doors. Still not totally finished yet. The trim is wider and thicker than it was previously. He had to make it thicker so the wainscoting wouldn't stick out more than the door trim. I started filling the nail holes and other areas this morning. He still has to put another coat of joint compound on the wall below the board for the wainscoting.

The door trim below looks off but it's not, it's the way the lighting hits it.

The wall with all the blue tape is really wavy (bastard builder). So my husband decided he would rather have the board straight and fill the areas between the wall and board that didn't meet correctly. I did that this morning too. After I filled the spaces I realized we are putting a cap on the wainscoting and I didn't need to fill it.  :thatsright:

My husband is taking Friday off so he can get a lot more done this weekend. We are going to get the crown molding on friday for the hallway. We got the builder's supplier where they get all their trim. It is a HUGE difference in price from Home Depot or Lowes so anyone in Austin who would be interested I would be happy to tell you their name.

After he gets the joint compound finished he will sand it then put up the vertical boards for the wainscoting. Then I will fill all the holes etc then prime. After you prime you caulk then paint.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »
Use small anchor bolts to take the wave out of a wall. Tricky but can be done.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »
Use small anchor bolts to take the wave out of a wall. Tricky but can be done.

Thanks for the tip.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
nice!!! Can't wait to see all of it finished it is gonna be awesome...
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2012, 08:23:05 PM »
Stair treads. Need one more sand and another coat of polyurethane and they will be ready to go.

He put the crown molding up today. I spent a few days filling every nail hole, joint and space in this hallway and up the stairs. Still has to be painted. This is going much slower than I thought it would and my house is filthy.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
Hi Toby!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »
Ha!  I had a 50% chance.

:-)

How come your crown moldings aren't painted?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »
Ha!  I had a 50% chance.

:-)

How come your crown moldings aren't painted?

I dare you to say that to my husband.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »
:whistling:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
HAHA!

OMG I love it.....can't wait to see it all purdy-fied.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »
Decided to put a few treads on the stairs to see how it will look. The stain matches exactly with our cabinets. There will be quarter round in knotty Alder stained the same as the treads around the bottom (underneath) of each tread. It covers any not so perfect areas and also gives the impression of beefier stair treads.

The pictures with the newels we just have them sitting on the step, they haven't been cut to the proper height yet.  I am overwhelmed by the painting we have to do. Nothing has been painted the final trim color. My husband hasn't even finished the trim yet.  :panic:

The camera doesn't seem to show our floors correctly, it's richer then it appears in pictures and there is a color in the floor that goes well with our cabinets and now stairs.

I am ready for this to be over, I'm sure my husband is past that point. The bathroom is really starting to come together too. I think it's going to be really cute.

With flash

Without flash

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »
Here is a picture of what the floors look like up close. I don't know why the camera makes them look different than they are.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00:28 PM »
Looks very nice!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
Here is a picture of what the floors look like up close. I don't know why the camera makes them look different than they are.

You must have a large cat.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
He did a really nice job on those stairs!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »
gorgeous! That builder should eat his heart out ;-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2012, 08:41:45 PM »
BEG, what exactly do you intend to do to protect those treads? Granted, you've got a boatload of polyurethane on them, but even with poly, they're going to get worn with traffic unless you come up with some sort of covering - sometimes sections of carpeting are glued to the middle of the treads.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
BEG, what exactly do you intend to do to protect those treads? Granted, you've got a boatload of polyurethane on them, but even with poly, they're going to get worn with traffic unless you come up with some sort of covering - sometimes sections of carpeting are glued to the middle of the treads.

We will cross that bridge when we get to it. The polyurethane that he used is meant for floors and stair treads. He has three coats on it now, he is thinking of doing one more sanding and another coat.

Edited to add: There will be nothing GLUED to those treads...ever. Well as long as we live here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:08:07 PM by BEG »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »
This has nothing to do with the stairs but my husband finally put up the light fixture that I've had sitting in a box in my dinning room for months. It wasn't an easy install. We put old style Edison bulbs in the light fixture.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »

Doesn't make sense to have nice looking floors/stairs if you are just going to cover them up. The polyurethanes on the market today are developed to take and withstand a lot of abuse.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2012, 03:11:52 PM »
Doesn't make sense to have nice looking floors/stairs if you are just going to cover them up. The polyurethanes on the market today are developed to take and withstand a lot of abuse.

I agree

Offline thundley4

« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »

Is that a Missionary position style table and chairs?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
Love the lights.  And yeah, I wouldn't cover the stairs.  The poly will work for a good long time.  If it ever wears, you could sand, restain, and reseal.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent